PDA

View Full Version : Marion Jones training in S.A. to make WNBA

DMX7
11-30-2009, 07:55 PM
SAN ANTONIO, Tex. — The former track star Marion Jones was released from federal prison about 15 months ago, but her comeback officially began Monday at the Antioch Community Center when the she announced her intentions to return to competitive athletics. The 34 year old former world class sprinter and mother to three young children looks to be in great shape, something she credits, in part, to her time in prison. But this time, she isn’t returning to the track. She is aiming to sign on with an WNBA team.

Marion Jones, the former world-class sprinter, has been training with hopes of joining the WNBA.

Since October, Jones has been working on her skills and conditioning with an assistant coach and the head trainer for the WNBA’s San Antonio Silver streak. She hasn’t played competitive basketball since 1994 when she helped her North Carolina team to a 30-5 record and the National Championship as the starting point guard. Following that season, her freshman year, she quit basketball to concentrate on track.

Jones hopes to be able to play in Europe this winter and then sign with a WNBA team in time for the 2010 season.

“Back in May, when I got a call from someone in the NBA asking if I would possibly be interested in the WNBA,” she said. At the time, she was eight months pregnant with her third child. “My reaction was ‘Yeah, right.’ I got off the phone, I thought about it a little bit, talked with my husband. I thought it would be an interesting journey if I decided to do this,” she added. “It would give me an opportunity to share my message to young people on a bigger platform; it would give me an opportunity to get a second chance.I think I can be an asset to a franchise, so it comes down to ’Why Not?’ Really. Why not?”The WNBA Commissioner, Donna Orender, declined to comment on Jones’ plans but a league official confirmed Jones had reached out to the league. Any decision on whether she will be offered a free agent contract would be up to individual teams, WNBA spokesperson Ron Howard said. She is not elligible to enter the draft because early in the league’s tenure, she was drafted by the Phoenix franchise.

After insisting throughout her career that she had never used performance enhancing drugs, In October of 2007, Jones admitted taking steroids prior to the Sydney 2000 Summer Olympics as she pleaded guilty to lying to federal agents in two separate investigations, a bank-fraud case being prosecuted out of New York and the Bay Area Laboratory Co-operative case in Northern California involving performance-enhancing drugs. She was later sentenced to six months in prison.

Since her release from prison Jones said she has spoken to students acros the country of all ages about making good choices. Director John Singleton is making a documentary of her life for ESPN.

“It’s important for people to know that its possible to make a mistake in your life, but it’s what you do after the mistake that people are going to remember you by,” she said. “Are you going to make whatever negatives that happened in your life a positive? Are you going to disappear? That has certainly never been in my horizon. How can I use my experience, my story, to help people and in the process hop on this journey of trying to make a team?”

She calls her message the Take a Break program. The gist of it is, she hopes that young people, girls in particular, will learn from her mistakes. She encourages them, when faced with a difficult decision in their lives, to stop and think about it first. She tells them, don’t lie, tell the truth.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/01/sports/01rhoden.html?_r=1&hp

BlackSwordsMan
11-30-2009, 07:58 PM
taking lessons from chip england?

Will Hunting
11-30-2009, 07:58 PM
lol UTSA

JamStone
11-30-2009, 08:27 PM
IIRC, she was a highly touted high school All American and was pretty good at UNC too. She may have cheated in track, but I wouldn't be surprised if she could get back into good shape relatively quickly. Being away from organized basketball for so long would probably be difficult, but athletically, you'd think she could compete with a good majority of the WNBA players and being a point guard at the college level, she probably has the mindset and understands X's and O's a little better than most who would be trying to do something like this.

DMX7
11-30-2009, 08:34 PM
WNBA isn't in the best of shape either. She must be desperate.

pauls931
11-30-2009, 09:31 PM
She might have better luck applying for a job at Enron.

Allanon
11-30-2009, 11:57 PM
There aren't a whole lot of well-paying jobs for a 34 year old; just out of prison athlete.

Hope she makes it, must suck to be her right about now.

baseline bum
12-01-2009, 12:02 AM
WNBA? Her ceiling is maybe $35,000 a year for 3 years max there.

Bukefal
12-01-2009, 07:10 AM
I dont like this woman, but I must say I have some respect for her trying to do this

Kamnik
12-01-2009, 11:21 AM
WNBA? Her ceiling is maybe $35,000 a year for 3 years max there.

Being broke makes wonders...

phyzik
12-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Personally, I think they should scrap the WNBA, wheelchair Basketball would be more exciting to watch than that farce.

TDMVPDPOY
12-01-2009, 12:32 PM
is she broke?

what happen to her career earnings? did the govt take it all?

Culburn369
12-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Personally, I think they should scrap the WNBA

A couple more cycles of Hussein Obamanomics & Stern will be ready to put away the underwrite & pull the plug.

duncan228
12-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Marion won't be world's fastest Silver Star (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/buckharvey/2009/12/marion-wont-be-worlds-fastest.html)
By Buck Harvey

Marion Jones is 34 years old. She hasn't played basketball since college. And even when she did play, she was considered a raw talent.

It's a stretch to think she can find a place in the WNBA.

So why has she been working out with a Silver Stars trainer?

Because she lives in Austin, close to the Silver Stars staff. And because, while the WNBA would be a longshot, there could be basketball opportunities in Europe.

The Silver Stars will track what she does, as they do all prospects. But they haven't targeted her, and they don't have any plans to sign her.

Jones is worth some publicity, but the Silver Stars don't view her as a gate attraction.

Still, more power to her in this attempt. She was released from a Texas federal prison a little more than a year ago after completing most of her six-month sentence for lying about doping and her role in a check-fraud scam. She deserves a second chance.

"It's important for people to know that it's possible to make a mistake in your life," she said recently. "But it's what you do after the mistake that people are going to remember you by. Are you going to make whatever negatives that happened in your life a positive? Are you going to disappear? That has certainly never been in my horizon. How can I use my experience, my story, to help people and in the process hop on this journey of trying to make a team?"

The Silver Stars agree and are willing to help.

Her former partner, fellow sprinter Tim Montgomery, recently gave a reason to question her sincerity. In a federal prison in Alabama, Montgomery told a London newspaper that Jones could make herself cry for the cameras.

"Her best work was when she passed a lie detector test," he said.

For the full story, click here (http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=4693099).

SenorSpur
12-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Good luck to her.