PDA

View Full Version : Life on Mars?

tlongII
11-30-2009, 09:51 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,577814,00.html?test=faces

http://www.foxnews.com/images/589406/2_23_mars_asteroid2.jpg
A scanning electron microscope image of the asteroids reveals a series of partly filled pits, evidence of a microbial attack

NASA scientists have produced the most compelling evidence yet that bacterial life exists on Mars.

It showed that microscopic worm-like structures found in a Martian meteorite that hit the Earth 13,000 years ago are almost certainly fossilized bacteria. The so-called bio-morphs are embedded beneath the surface layers of the rock, suggesting that they were already present when the meteorite arrived, rather than being the result of subsequent contamination by Earthly bacteria.

"This is very strong evidence of life on Mars," said David Mackay, a senior scientist at the NASA Johnson Space Center, who was part of the team of scientists that originally investigated the meteorite when it was discovered in 1984.

In a 1996 study of the sample, Dr Mackay and others argued that the microfossils were evidence of life, but sceptics dismissed the claims, saying that similar-shaped structures might not be biological. The new analyses, the product of high resolution electron microscopy, make a strong case for the Allan Hills 84001 Meteorite having carried Martian life to Earth. The microscopes were focused on tiny magnetite crystals present in the surface layers of the meteorite, which have the form of simple bacteria. Some argued that these could be the result of a carbonate breaking down in the heat of the impact.

The new analyses show that this is very unlikely to have resulted in the kinds of structures seen in the rock. Close examination suggested that about 25 percent of the crystal structures were chemically consistent with being formed from bacteria.

"We feel vindicated. We’ve shown the alternate explanation is absolutely incorrect, leading us back to our original position that these structures are formed by bacteria on Mars," Dr Mackay said.

Dennis Bazylinski, an astrobiologist from the University of Nevada who peer-reviewed the findings, said: "Until now I was on the fence but this paper has really thrown out the non-biological explanation." However, he added that the study was not a "smoking gun" for life on Mars. "One meteorite is never going to answer such a complex question," he said.

David Bowie
11-30-2009, 09:58 PM
v--IqqusnNQ&feature=fvsr

ididnotnothat
11-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Forget the moon let's go to Mars.

MiamiHeat
11-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Good.

The sooner that the whole of humanity accepts that life is not special to earth, and that there is nothing really special about 'life', the better we will be off.

exstatic
11-30-2009, 11:25 PM
I wonder how the biblical literalists will react if they find life on Mars? If it IS in fact Gods word, why did he leave out other worlds?

Jesus
11-30-2009, 11:28 PM
I wonder how the biblical literalists will react if they find life on Mars? If it IS in fact Gods word, why did he leave out other worlds?

When you are God......you can do what ever the hell you want.

marini martini
11-30-2009, 11:34 PM

werd!!!:tu

:lmao

z0sa
11-30-2009, 11:44 PM

It's not the answer, it's how you phrase the question.

Personally, finding lots of life on Mars would be a great step towards the truth. A substantial discovery onsite would open up quite a wealth of information. When do we go to Mars?

exstatic
12-01-2009, 12:39 AM

Yeah, thanks for giving us PART of the Word, part time carpenter.

phyzik
12-01-2009, 12:51 AM
As much as I dislike religion, whats to limit a God to just one planet?

Thats what thumpers will grab on to and they will still have an arguement, they will just edit "the book" to fit it, as they have done for the past 2000 years.

And who's to say its wrong? Science still doesnt have all the answers.

I love science and I hope its proven more than any religion some day, but Faith is a hard thing to debunk.

MiamiHeat
12-01-2009, 12:58 AM
As much as I dislike religion, whats to limit a God to just one planet?

Thats what thumpers will grab on to and they will still have an arguement, they will just edit "the book" to fit it, as they have done for the past 2000 years.

And who's to say its wrong? Science still doesnt have all the answers.

I love science and I hope its proven more than any religion some day, but Faith is a hard thing to debunk.

Because it's already proven that religion was created by man.

Proven.

Looking towards science and technology to disprove God is the wrong way to handle this.

You have to look at history. Archaeology, anthropology, theology, philosophy, etc..........

They disprove religion. There are smoking guns everywhere.

phyzik
12-01-2009, 01:02 AM
Because it's already proven that religion was created by man.

Proven.

I agree, but there is still Faith.

I'm not going to argue with you MH, we are on the same side, man made religion is bunk. Still, people have faith. Faith itself is not easily changed. Thats all I'm saying.

we could come up with the greatest arguments of all history and people will still vehemently believe in some higher power because they require that crutch. They are lost without it. Like a crack addict without access to crack.

MiamiHeat
12-01-2009, 01:16 AM
Well, obviously it's a psychological issue within themselves

Though, every single time I see an atheist trying to debate with a religious person, I always criticize their methods. They fail to skip all of the silly philosophical questions, the "Would you send your own children to hell?" type of questions.

Just skip them and go right to the actual historical evidence of the evolution, plagiarizing, borrowing, merging, and everything else of religion. You can't deny facts.

MiamiHeat
12-01-2009, 02:22 AM
:wow

There is hope for you, maybe.

Kobe is overrated, homosexuals need to stop trying to redefine marriage and get their own thing going, and slavery contributed to black super athletes.

John Kerry
12-01-2009, 08:43 AM
The sooner that the whole of humanity accepts that life is not special to earth, and that there is nothing really special about 'life', the better we will be off.

I'm pretty sure anyone who believes in God believes he created life outside of the earth as well.