PDA

View Full Version : Scola out time for Landry to Shine

Indazone
11-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Scola out with lacerated eye in first 22 seconds of game against the Thunder. He needed 7 stiches to close the gash on his eyelid. Will be out for next game and perhaps another one after that.

Time to see what Landry is made of. His first opportunity to start and play major minutes. He's way more of a go to guy than Ariza. I think or hope that Landry earns a starting job after this stint.

Killakobe81
11-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Ariza is a get role palyer but needs to stop jacking so many shots I love Carl Landry's game and he is a Laker killer ...

Culburn369
11-30-2009, 11:45 PM
scola out with lacerated eye in first 22 seconds of game against the lakers. He needed 7 stiches to close the gash on his eyelid caused when d. Fish gave him a reverse coco-butt. Will be out for next game and perhaps another one after that.

"double" a gay man living out his days on nba forum, a spin off of the highly successful spurstalk.com, said after the vicious hit by d. Fish: 'moo, moo, buck-a-roo.'

fify.

KSeal
11-30-2009, 11:47 PM
I agree, give Laundry a lot more touches. Ariza can't create his own shot for shit, or even dribble for that matter.

wanggi
12-01-2009, 12:30 AM
fify.

Childish enough.

Xylus
12-01-2009, 12:32 AM
Landry dropped like 95 points on the Suns the last time they played. I'm interested to see what he'll do with a starting role.

wireonfire
12-01-2009, 02:43 AM
Scola out with lacerated eye in first 22 seconds of game against the Thunder. He needed 7 stiches to close the gash on his eyelid. Will be out for next game and perhaps another one after that.

Time to see what Landry is made of. His first opportunity to start and play major minutes. He's way more of a go to guy than Ariza. I think or hope that Landry earns a starting job after this stint.

I don't see Landry starts over Scola anytime soon.

Indazone
12-01-2009, 03:04 AM
No it's not Scola that Landry beats out for starter minutes it's Ariza. Scola is athletic enough and has a better shot than Ariza. He can play Small Forward.

The front line for the Rockets should be Andereson, Scola, Landry

duhoh
12-01-2009, 04:26 AM
No it's not Scola that Landry beats out for starter minutes it's Ariza. Scola is athletic enough and has a better shot than Ariza. He can play Small Forward.

The front line for the Rockets should be Andereson, Scola, Landry

who would be the back up big man then?

Indazone
12-01-2009, 10:44 AM
who would be the back up big man then?

Chuck Hayes..and that's always been his role.

Indazone
12-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Here we go...I really think this guy can be a 20-10 player in the NBA

Rockets forward Carl Landry did not know how he would feel but looked forward to finding out.

With Luis Scola out Wednesday because of the swelling and a seven-stitch gash in his right eyelid left by a meeting with Etan Thomas' left hand, Landry will do something he never has in the NBA. He will start Wednesday in Los Angeles against the Clippers. And as much as he has been a solid rotation player for several years and a go-to scorer this season, this is different.

“Growing up as a kid, your dream is always to play in the NBA and to put on an NBA jersey,” Landry, 26, said. “Having the opportunity to start in the NBA, that's another level. I'm going to be psyched up.

“I've never started a game since I've been here. This is my third year. I'm going to try to roll with the punches, go with the flow and see how things work. I'm going to stick to my same routine, stretching and doing the things I did before every game coming off the bench. There's a first time for everything.”

For all of the Rockets' injury-forced adjustments and all the games they have played with stars on the inactive list, it seems odd the starting job never came around to Landry. That is largely because in his three seasons, Scola never has missed a game.

But the Rockets have come to expect the unexpected, including developments considerably more unpredictable than being without Yao Ming or Tracy McGrady. And they believe the experience has prepared them to adjust.
Never a dull moment

“It's unfortunate that since we do play for the Rockets, we have a lot of injuries, but everybody is prepared and ready to fill in,” guard Aaron Brooks said. “We're pretty much used to it, unfortunately.”

The Rockets also will need contributions from center David Andersen, who had 12 points and a season-high eight rebounds Sunday in a 100-91 win over the Thunder. They could use Chuck Hayes, Shane Battier or Brian Cook at power forward, as they did in Sunday's first half when Landry was in foul trouble.

But much of the responsibility for making up for the loss of Scola will fall to the 6-9 Landry, who is in the unusual position of having to become a go-to scorer before he has started a game.

“The front office and the coaching staff have had confidence in me since day one this year,” Landry said. “I'm playing with a lot of confidence. My teammates are confident in me.”

But the Rockets will need Landry to play on the road as he has at home and to avoid the unnecessary fouls that forced him to the bench Sunday.

Landry is averaging 20.1 points on 68 percent shooting in Toyota Center. He was averaging 11 points on 41.1 percent shooting on the road before Sunday, when he had 17 of his 21 points and nine of his 10 rebounds in the second half at Oklahoma City.

“I think he broke through,” coach Rick Adelman said. “After his foul trouble in the first half, I think it was really important for him to come out in the second half and play the way he played. There's no reason he can't do that at home and on the road.

“When you have two fouls in the first quarter, you have to know that, and you can't get a quick, easy foul. He got his third foul on a nothing play. He's got to be a little smarter.

“He's got to realize we need him to be big every game for us. He's got to demand the ball, and he's got to understand that he has the ability to score against anybody in this league. I don't care who it is.”
Ready to rebound

Landry said he must improve his defense and “basketball IQ.” Carrying an average of 5.8 rebounds, he likely will have to take care of the boards more to make up for the loss of Scola.

But the Rockets have reason to believe no player, no matter how valuable, is irreplaceable.

“(Scola) is such a big part of this team,” Hayes said. “We look to him a lot in the post. We expect a lot from him. This gives us an opportunity to let other guys step up. It's been like that with the Rockets since I've been here, and it seems like it's going to continue.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6746409.html

rjv
12-01-2009, 10:57 AM
the thing about the rockets is that they give you all they have night in and night out. you have to admire that. and both landry and scola have a great work ethic.

Indazone
12-01-2009, 10:59 AM
On another note: Still no timetable for T-Mac's return

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6746413.html

Slow process
A week and four practices after Tracy McGrady returned full-time to Rockets workouts, coach Rick Adelman said there is no timetable for McGrady's return.
McGrady, 30, said last week he expected to make his season debut soon, pointing to four road games this week.

“It's just a process,” Adelman said. “I can't tell you what the timetable is, but he's practicing, he's working. That's what we're going on. We'll figure that (the timetable) out when we get to it. He looks OK. He looks all right. He's just got to keep pushing himself and try to take each step.
“You put him on the floor, you want him healthy.”

Free swinger
After Etan Thomas' left hand slashed Luis Scola's right eyelid, knocking him out of Sunday's game and Wednesday in Los Angeles, a more purposeful elbow nearly caught Aaron Brooks.
But Brooks said the elbow did not land and was just part of protecting the ball on a rebound, one of Thomas' three Sunday.

“I don't think he knew I was there,” Brooks said. “I think he was just excited he got a rebound.
“I don't think he intentionally meant to hit me. He's an aggressive guy. That's the way he plays the game. I didn't take it personally. If he hit me, I know that's not what he wants. He should be scared of me because I'm about 160.”

Hayes effective
With Luis Scola out and Carl Landry in foul trouble, center Chuck Hayes returned to his natural power forward position for a stint late in Sunday's first half.
“It doesn't matter what position I play,” Hayes said. “They went small themselves. Even when they were small, they were still bigger than us. It just so happened the matchup caused me to match up with (Kevin) Durant, give Trevor (Ariza) a break from all the screens they set on him. It worked out OK.”

Durant's only shot while he was defended by Hayes was an airball.

JONATHAN FEIGEN

Indazone
12-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Landry got his 21 pts and 10 boards in 29 minutes against the Thunder..he's going to be a beast

#12 in the NBA at 29.7 Points per 48 min (2nd closest rocket is Scola #39 at 24.1)

#6 in the NBA in FT% shooting 89.6% from the line (2nd closest rocket is Brooks #64 at 79.6%)

#13 in the NBA in FG% shooting 55.6% from the field (2nd closest rocket is Scola #26 at 52%)

22.97 Player Efficently Rating and 4.5 points better than Luis Scola's 18.43 Rating.

Culburn369
12-01-2009, 11:19 AM
the thing about the rockets is that they give you all they have night in and night out. you have to admire that.

It's precious & just adorable.

Kai
12-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Landry has looked absolutely amazing this season. That dude has developed a reliable mid-range J, and his post moves have greatly improved. He's easily the most athletic play the Rockets have, and finishes at the rim much better than the majority of players in the league. This is should be exciting.

I'd like to see us try him at small forward. He has the offensive game. He'd go from an undersized 4 to a tall 3. The only concern would be his ability to defend the Kevin Durants and Grangers.

duhoh
12-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Landry has looked absolutely amazing this season. That dude has developed a reliable mid-range J, and his post moves have greatly improved. He's easily the most athletic play the Rockets have, and finishes at the rim much better than the majority of players in the league. This is should be exciting.

I'd like to see us try him at small forward. He has the offensive game. He'd go from an undersized 4 to a tall 3. The only concern would be his ability to defend the Kevin Durants and Grangers.

i could see melo burning him, but that would be interesting.

landry is a beast

djohn2oo8
12-01-2009, 04:37 PM
It's precious & just adorable.

What, when Derek Fisher found out that he was fathered by Aaron Brooks?

Culburn369
12-01-2009, 05:31 PM
What, when Derek Fisher found out that he was fathered by Aaron Brooks?

No, when Scola found out that Fish was his daddy.

Kai
12-01-2009, 09:56 PM
i could see melo burning him, but that would be interesting.

landry is a beast

Definitely, Landry would really need to work on his defense to even think about guarding the better 3's in the league.

duhoh
12-02-2009, 01:05 AM
No, when Scola found out that Fish was his daddy.

:lmao

so, does that make ABZ a grandfather?

Lars
12-02-2009, 01:33 AM
Landry is the man. Shame he got shot...wtf who would shoot CARL FREAKIN LANDRY

Indazone
12-02-2009, 03:40 AM
You should see that shithole area of town he got shot in. Doesn't the NBA or better yet the Rockets have people to help new players get relocated to a safe area? I was curious to see where he got plugged, it's across the highway from U of H on the other side of I-45 off Scott Street. I don't care if they are building new buildings there...shit Landry should be living in a gated community or highrise.

Kai
12-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Turns out Scola's gonna play tonight. :lol He's a warrior.

Indazone
12-02-2009, 04:13 PM
noooooooooo

djohn2oo8
12-02-2009, 04:18 PM
You should see that shithole area of town he got shot in. Doesn't the NBA or better yet the Rockets have people to help new players get relocated to a safe area? I was curious to see where he got plugged, it's across the highway from U of H on the other side of I-45 off Scott Street. I don't care if they are building new buildings there...shit Landry should be living in a gated community or highrise.

Yeah, no way Landry should be living anywhere close to 3rd Ward