PDA

View Full Version : Who's the leader of the Blazers?

djohn2oo8
12-01-2009, 10:31 PM
T-long?

lefty
12-01-2009, 10:36 PM
Don't be ridiculous.

It's Rod Strickland

PGDynasty24
12-01-2009, 10:38 PM
arvydas sabonis?

redzero
12-01-2009, 10:42 PM
They could have used Chauncey Billups.

iggypop123
12-01-2009, 10:50 PM
oden. he has the grandfather role

lefty
12-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Now, that's how a leader steps up and talks in the locker room when a team has injured players

http://bojack.org/images/sambowie3.jpg

ElNono
12-01-2009, 11:37 PM
I don't recall Roy being such a ball hog. He's basically playing point guard right now.

Darthkiller
12-01-2009, 11:43 PM
I don't recall Roy being such a ball hog. He's basically playing point guard right now.

a point guard that looks for his own shot first.

SenorSpur
12-01-2009, 11:58 PM
Maurice Lucas

ElNono
12-02-2009, 12:06 AM
a point guard that looks for his own shot first.

Right. It's like he wants the ball in his hands so much he'll even walk it up the court. Ridiculous.

BTW, the Miami Nancys look in complete control of this game.

HarlemHeat37
12-02-2009, 12:16 AM
Roy is really chucking this game..

Oden is a beast though, no idea why he hasn't gotten more touches in this game..most of his "shots" have been tips and putbacks..whenever he's gotten it down low, he's had his way..

They need a new coach pretty badly IMO..

ElNono
12-02-2009, 12:28 AM
LMAO Blazers...

At this point I don't think they even deserve a separate thread, do they?

Spursmania
12-02-2009, 12:35 AM
^Hell No...

Mel_13
12-02-2009, 12:37 AM
Roy is really chucking this game..

Oden is a beast though, no idea why he hasn't gotten more touches in this game..most of his "shots" have been tips and putbacks..whenever he's gotten it down low, he's had his way..

They need a new coach pretty badly IMO..

Roy's just doing what he said needed to happen:

"I think we have to establish a pecking order offensively," Roy said Monday, shortly before Oden asked him when the meeting would commence in McMillan's office.

Roy has been the most vocal in expressing concerns about the team's offensive struggles, in large part because he is the most accommodating and forthcoming interview on the team, but also because he is accustomed to being the focal point of the offense.

Clearly, Roy is fighting himself and the system.

He began the season stressing to his teammates the importance of sacrificing, but he says he feels like he is sacrificing the most. He moved to small forward for nine games, and throughout the season has surrendered the ball more than he ever has in his career.

"How do I sacrifice and still be me?" Roy asked Monday. "That's what I'm trying to find out. I'm trying to sacrifice and I'm trying ... but I'm feeling – Arrrrrgh! I don't think it works. Not because of the scoring, it just doesn't seem right."

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/11/blazers_seek_right_formula_to.html

Of course, these are all non-issues.

duhoh
12-02-2009, 12:49 AM
T-long?

:lol

ElNono
12-02-2009, 12:59 AM
Roy starting to sound like Arenas... This is not going to end well...

This is what happens when the player incorrectly thinks he's above the team, the coach and the system.

I mean, if you fire McMillan, what capable coach is out there to right this ship?

duhoh
12-02-2009, 01:03 AM
speaking of which, tlong has been absent for a LONG time

coincidentally, the blazers have been creating some lols for us

lil_penny
12-02-2009, 01:10 AM
Ughhhh.. we played a lot better then the last two losses.. but still didn't have a win in reach... oden played great as well as howard.. roy played better and had more hustle than the last two but still has been missing open players like oden for easy shots. Basically I know aldridge was out, but with the lackluster performances from this team lately I'm not too sure it would of made a difference. If the team wants to claim they are tired( wich is b.s. cause they are athletes and this is their job) then they need to enjoy this 3 day rest and come out and play some fuckin ball Saturday before they hit the road.

The only two players that have consistently brought it at both ends has been oden and webster.. rudy hasn't had much of a chance he's basically the guy who gets the ball with 4 seconds on the clock and has to throw a miracle that's he usually makes, but that's it for him..and roy and aldridge have been sleepwalking out there. It seems

This teams chemistry is a clusterfuck they have no identity.. until they figure it out and play some defense they are gonna drop like a ton of bricks.

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
12-02-2009, 01:14 AM
Lol @ Blazers

lil_penny
12-02-2009, 01:18 AM
Oh and this was one of odens worse shooting nights this year.. most of his shots were putbacks that he fought for. When he is included in plays like pick and rolls wich miller and rudy do great with him or given room by the team to work down low he has had great shooting nights but they won't include him in the offense he has to work twice as hard as any player to get shots on this team.. nate needs to get him involved more and tell roy and lma to learn to pass to him more..

Lars
12-02-2009, 01:25 AM
I think Pritchard is good at assembling talent, but not really a "team".

@Penny, so what fixes this team? A trade? Time?

lil_penny
12-02-2009, 01:35 AM

Man honestly I was wondering what it was... I say give them till all star break, they either sink or swim. If they sink then start the trading process.. and at the end of the year if we take a step back.. hold nate responsible and can his ass and give porter his shot.

I'm going to ponder this question some more, but off the top of my head this is all I know.

KidCongo
12-02-2009, 01:37 AM
I think people are expecting to much out this team too quickly.

djohn2oo8
12-02-2009, 01:38 AM
Man honestly I was wondering what it was... I say give them till all star break, they either sink or swim. If they sink then start the trading process.. and at the end of the year if we take a step back.. hold nate responsible and can his ass and give porter his shot.

I'm going to ponder this question some more, but off the top of my head this is all I know.

Shane Battier for Rudy Fernandez and fillers

jonnybravo
12-02-2009, 01:38 AM

Sounds like the guy before him.

lil_penny
12-02-2009, 01:43 AM
Shane Battier for Rudy Fernandez and fillers

Rudy is by far my favorite player.. but nate doesn't know how to utilize him properly and if that trade took place id be all for it cause I wanna see him do good, the rudy that most people want to see and has been seen in spurts at portland and will have the go to in houston and I think he would flourish... however nate would find some way to make battier non existent on the team like he seems to do with most toehrs.

Lars
12-02-2009, 05:15 AM
pssh Rogue, you can't really guarantee an opinion.

ElNono
12-02-2009, 09:08 AM
TBH, Oden had a great game if you only look at his offense. Miami was going inside like there was nobody there and scoring every time. This Portland team has regressed considerably on defense. There was not a single moment in the 4th quarter last night when you thought they could make 3 or 4 stops and get back in the game.

urunobili
12-02-2009, 09:13 AM
lol Blazers

Darthkiller
12-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Rudy is by far my favorite player.. but nate doesn't know how to utilize him properly and if that trade took place id be all for it cause I wanna see him do good, the rudy that most people want to see and has been seen in spurts at portland and will have the go to in houston and I think he would flourish... however nate would find some way to make battier non existent on the team like he seems to do with most toehrs.

Id rather see him go to New York tbh. Portland wont trade him to a conference rival.

djohn2oo8
12-02-2009, 09:52 AM
No matter who leads the Rockets, he's gotta be a dumbass imho, guaranteed.

Whoever owns the mavs, you can guarantee he's a dumbass:downspin:

Mel_13
12-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Some have openly worried about touches. Some have privately griped about playing time. Alliances have been formed by certain key players, and there have been more player-coach meetings than ever at this time of the season.

"I think we just need to get our heads on straight and chill out," Oden said.

At the forefront of the team's struggles is its leader and star, Brandon Roy.

As has been the case throughout the team's sputtering play of late, Roy on Tuesday had several chances to make a big, momentum-changing play, only to fail dramatically.

On Tuesday, the Blazers had cut a 16-point fourth-quarter deficit to 100-91 and had the ball when Roy was stripped by Mario Chalmers with 1:49 left. Two games ago, Roy was in a similar position -- the Blazers having cut Memphis' 29-point lead to eight when a pass was stolen by Zach Randolph.

Roy finished with a team-high 25 points Tuesday, but he was 9 for 25 from the field and from late in the first quarter to late in the fourth, he was 2 for 13.

"I've been thinking too much ... instead of just looking at myself," Roy said. "I have to get back to worrying about just playing, instead of going out there and playing and pointing fingers and worrying about this and that. I started to realize that over the past couple days, especially tonight."

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/12/miami_107_portland_100_now_its.html

myhc
12-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Roy has bought into his own hype. We'll see if this new found realization will lead to results.

SenorSpur
12-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Lol @ Blazers

Rightly or wrongly, Roy considers himself the resident team superstar and thereby considers himself to be bigger than the team. However, he's starting to look and behave more like Arenas every week.

With such a young group of talented players, you just had to know that eventually the "green-eyed" monster would eventually rear its ugly head.

It's hard to ask talented players, who have been the man at all their previous levels of competition, to subjugate themselves for the "good of the team". Young players all want PT. They know that PT=$$$. Every player feels the need to showcase themselves so they can get get paid.

It's easier to lead a talented horse to water, but it's another thing to make him drink.

It couldn't have happened to a better GM.

Allanon
12-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Andre Miller's the odd man out.

Blazers (finally) brought in a veteran player; something they should have done 2 seasons ago.

But Andre Miller is a veteran player

That is unfriendly
Hasn't won any rings
Is only a decent point guard
Can't shoot
Hasn't brought any wins to Portland
None of these young dudes grew up wanting to be Andre Miller

Brandon Roy feels like he's making "the biggest sacrifice" on the team. He only feels this way because he doesn't respect Miller's game.

This Andre Miller era isn't going to end well; Blazers would have been better off bringing in Iverson.

ginobili's bald spot
12-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Roy is really coming off as a selfish doucher this season. His ego is out of control and it seems like that's the Blazers biggest problem.The bottom line is the Blazers are still a non issue, just as I predicted.

lol tlong

The Gemini Method
12-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Roy is definitely believing too much of the hype, but in sports that is expected when you achieve even the most marginal of successes.

Dare I say it, they've got to make a decision on Miller/Blake...neither one is doing this team justice...also, this team is mostly a jump-shooting team sans Oden. Perhaps there needs to be someone who augments Oden and bangs down low?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-02-2009, 12:33 PM

This. It's just a bunch of talented players with no real chemistry, cohesion or identity.

Strike
12-02-2009, 12:37 PM
This. It's just a bunch of talented players with no real chemistry, cohesion or identity.

One of the things that ended the Bob Whitsitt era.

The Gemini Method
12-02-2009, 12:39 PM
I would agree with DOK, but how would you explain the Lakers, Magic, and Celtics? They're all immensely talented and tons of ego--but they seem to get it. I think it has to do with leadership. The Blazers don't have it. Andre Miller is not that type of person that can command control like a Kobe or a KG can. Well, I don't know whom that person is on the Magic...although SVG might be that person for them...

nkdlunch
12-02-2009, 12:40 PM
whoever got the most chronic that week

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-02-2009, 12:47 PM
I would agree with DOK, but how would you explain the Lakers, Magic, and Celtics? They're all immensely talented and tons of ego--but they seem to get it. I think it has to do with leadership. The Blazers don't have it. Andre Miller is not that type of person that can command control like a Kobe or a KG can. Well, I don't know whom that person is on the Magic...although SVG might be that person for them...

That too, but IMO that the Celtics and Lakers have talent that meshes a lot better than Portland's does. Regardless, that has a lot to do with veteran players who know when it's time to put the ego away, listen to the coach and win the game.

I feel bad for Oden, he's an extremely humble player who's never gonna bitch about anything, yet he's the one who gets robbed by Roy and Aldridge's egos.

Mel_13
12-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Lol @ Blazers

Rightly or wrongly, Roy considers himself the resident team superstar and thereby considers himself to be bigger than the team. However, he's starting to look and behave more like Arenas every week.

With such a young group of talented players, you just had to know that eventually the "green-eyed" monster would eventually rear its ugly head.

It's hard to ask talented players, who have been the man at all their previous levels of competition, to subjugate themselves for the "good of the team". Young players all want PT. They know that PT=$$$. Every player feels the need to showcase themselves so they can get get paid.

It's easier to lead a talented horse to water, but it's another thing to make him drink.

It couldn't have happened to a better GM.

Yep. It was all fine while they were all on their rookie deals. The values of the extensions this past summer designated Roy as the Franchise player and LMA as the Sidekick. Oden's extension will come this summer. Does he get max money, too and become a Co-Franchise player? How will LMA react to third star status?

Others have said it, but they really blew it with the Miller signing. They had a one-time chance to use cap space in the summer between the end of most of the Jailblazer contracts and the beginning of the new player extensions. The cutthroat move would have been to offer Hedo's deal to Odom. Even if he decided to stay with the Lakers, the move would have at least forced Buss to dig much deeper than he wanted to. Instead, they forced the Jazz to dig deep, only the Jazz don't stand between the Blazers and a championship.

The question for the Blazers now becomes:

Can the Roy/LMA/Oden core catch the Kobe/Gasol/Bynum Lakers before the Durant/Green/Westbrook/Harden core catches the Blazers?

I would bet against that proposition.

The Gemini Method
12-02-2009, 12:57 PM
correction: Kobe/Gasol/Bynum/Artest Lakers...don't want to upset the "crazy" one (and no, I'm not talking about the Culbster)

Mel_13
12-02-2009, 01:03 PM
correction: Kobe/Gasol/Bynum/Artest Lakers...don't want to upset the "crazy" one (and no, I'm not talking about the Culbster)

Could add Odom, too. Either way, these Blazers aren't beating those Lakers in a playoff series.

Allanon
12-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Yep. It was all fine while they were all on their rookie deals. The values of the extensions this past summer designated Roy as the Franchise player and LMA as the Sidekick. Oden's extension will come this summer. Does he get max money, too and become a Co-Franchise player? How will LMA react to third star status?

Damn solid Post.

If it were me, I'd keep Oden, Rudy, Batum, etc and jettison LMA & Roy to Cleveland for LeBron.

Can the Roy/LMA/Oden core catch the Kobe/Gasol/Bynum Lakers before the Durant/Green/Westbrook/Harden core catches the Blazers?

Durant/Green/Westbrook/Harden have an accepted pecking order. The Blazers don't.

Mel_13
12-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Durant/Green/Westbrook/Harden have an accepted pecking order. The Blazers don't.

Bingo

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Damn solid Post.

If it were me, I'd keep Oden, Rudy, Batum, etc and jettison LMA & Roy to Cleveland for LeBron.

I don't think that trade would ever happen. Aldridge I agree with trading though. Mediocre defender on a good day, horrible rebounder given his size, and his offense consists of chucking jumpers. I wouldn't trade Roy, he's a still maturing and he was a top 10 player last year. McMillan needs to go, it's clear the players don't respect him very much.

Brazil
12-02-2009, 01:54 PM
what is funny is now Oden begins to deliver solid games, the rest is a mess

lefty
12-02-2009, 01:56 PM
This is a good thread.

To this point, no Blazer has stood out as the leader of the team; if there is one, it's the head coach.

Miller is new in this team, so he may establish himself as the leader in a few months

The Gemini Method
12-02-2009, 02:13 PM
This is a good thread.

To this point, no Blazer has stood out as the leader of the team; if there is one, it's the head coach.

Miller is new in this team, so he may establish himself as the leader in a few months

But to echo that phrase, "Leaders are born, not made." seems to be in play for Miller. Look at everywhere he's been and it is hard to say he's been an actual leader in any of the locker rooms/courts he's had the privilege to play on. I don't see him being that type of player in which he develops a sense of leadership. Maybe a little, but definitely not a whole lot.

Or, this could all just be hubris and the Blazers aren't really that good...

SenorSpur
12-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Andre Miller's the odd man out.

Blazers (finally) brought in a veteran player; something they should have done 2 seasons ago.

But Andre Miller is a veteran player

That is unfriendly
Hasn't won any rings
Is only a decent point guard
Can't shoot
Hasn't brought any wins to Portland
None of these young dudes grew up wanting to be Andre Miller

Brandon Roy feels like he's making "the biggest sacrifice" on the team. He only feels this way because he doesn't respect Miller's game.

This Andre Miller era isn't going to end well; Blazers would have been better off bringing in Iverson.

Agree to a point. Certainly if Miller had some playoff or championship "skins on the wall", the respect would be there. However, it's unfair to lay on this on Miller.

After all, it was Pritchard who brought the guy in, with the blessings of McMillian. It was McMillian who had been pining away for a veteran player (PG) for about 3 seasons now. In fact, upon Miller's arrival, Nate marveled how seamlessly he took over the PG duties, with very little instruction or coaching needed. Nate even hinted that he would consider loosening the play-calling reigns a bit. Of course, it hasn't happened.

Seeing as how Miller was only the Blazers 3rd choice in free agency, the fact that they signed him so quickly smacks as a desparate, face-saving move by a GM and coach, who were surprisingly spurned by two considerably, more attractive free agents.

It looks like both GM and coach failed to do their homework and examine just how Miller would fit in with their program. All of the characteristics about Miller (good and bad) are well-documented and have been out there for years.

Miller may be a bad fit, but I certainly don't agree that Iverson would be a better fit. In fact, quite the contrary. Miller has his flaws, but at least he IS a true point guard. If you think Roy is bitching about touches and team chemistry now, I guarantee you that he, Aldridge, Oden and the rest of the bunch would be bitching a heckuva lot more because of considerably fewer touches, if AI were on the team.

lefty
12-02-2009, 02:21 PM
But to echo that phrase, "Leaders are born, not made." seems to be in play for Miller. Look at everywhere he's been and it is hard to say he's been an actual leader in any of the locker rooms/courts he's had the privilege to play on. I don't see him being that type of player in which he develops a sense of leadership. Maybe a little, but definitely not a whole lot.

Or, this could all just be hubris and the Blazers aren't really that good...
Good point, but Miller had never been on such a young team (not considering Oden) before, so it might play out well for him

SenorSpur
12-02-2009, 02:22 PM

Others have said it, but they really blew it with the Miller signing. They had a one-time chance to use cap space in the summer between the end of most of the Jailblazer contracts and the beginning of the new player extensions. The cutthroat move would have been to offer Hedo's deal to Odom. Even if he decided to stay with the Lakers, the move would have at least forced Buss to dig much deeper than he wanted to. Instead, they forced the Jazz to dig deep, only the Jazz don't stand between the Blazers and a championship.

Now THAT would've been both cutthroat and pimpish. In fact, as adept as he's been at trying to undercut the competition, I'm surprised that bitch-ass GM (Pritchard) didn't go after Odom. I really assumed he would.

IronMexican
12-02-2009, 02:23 PM
rocketfan thread for rockets to other NBA teams must be like 1 to 5.

Allanon
12-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Agree to a point. Certainly if Miller had some playoff or championship "skins on the wall", the respect would be there. However, it's unfair to lay on this on Miller.

After all, it was Pritchard who brought the guy in, with the blessings of McMillian. It was McMillian who had been pining away for a veteran player (PG) for about 3 seasons now. In fact, upon Miller's arrival, Nate marveled how seamlessly he took over the PG duties, with very little instruction or coaching needed. Nate even hinted that he would consider loosening the play-calling reigns a bit. Of course, it hasn't happened.

Seeing as how Miller was only the Blazers 3rd choice in free agency, the fact that they signed him so quickly smacks as a desparate, face-saving move by a GM and coach, who were surprisingly spurned by two considerably, more attractive free agents.

It looks like both GM and coach failed to do their homework and examine just how Miller would fit in with their program. All of the characteristics about Miller (good and bad) are well-documented and have been out there for years.

I certainly agree with you. It's not Miller's fault that he's in this situation other than him signing on the dotted line. He's a bad fit but it's the Blazers desperation in getting some/any kind of veteran leadership that got them in this mess. They got a veteran but not a leader.

Miller may be a bad fit, but I certainly don't agree that Iverson would be a better fit. In fact, quite the contrary. Miller has his flaws, but at least he IS a true point guard. If you think Roy is bitching about touches and team chemistry now, I guarantee you that he, Aldridge, Oden and the rest of the bunch would be bitching a heckuva lot more because of considerably fewer touches, if AI were on the team.

Winning cures everything. It's not a sacrifice when you're winning, only when you're losing.

AI would have brought wins, a more vocal edge and these young Blazers probably grew up idolizing AI. It's one thing to sacrifice for a above average PG while it's a whole different story to sacrifice to a future HoF'er.

It's ok taking a back seat to Allen Iverson, but it's hard for a guy like Roy to make sacrifices for Steve Blake and Andre Miller.

I can see your point though, AI might have been a bad fit too.

IronMexican
Or maybe just rockets to the Lakers and Blazers is 1 to 5

SenorSpur
Damn solid Post.

Now that would definitely be a delicious coup. Of course, it wont happen.

SenorSpur
12-02-2009, 02:29 PM
I certainly agree with you. It's not Miller's fault that he's in this situation other than him signing on the dotted line. He's a bad fit but it's the Blazers desperation in getting some/any kind of veteran leadership. They got a veteran but not a leader.

Winning cures everything. It's not a sacrifice when you're winning, only when you're losing.

AI would have brought wins, a more vocal edge and these young Blazers probably grew up idolizing AI. It's one thing to sacrifice for a above average PG while it's a whole different story to sacrifice to a future HoF'er.

It's ok taking a back seat to Allen Iverson, but it's hard for a guy like Roy to make sacrifices for Steve Blake and Andre Miller.

:tu. Good points - all of them.

Ah, but remember Brandon Roy. Since his rookie year, he's been pimped by the ownership, management and coaching staff as the "new face of the Blazers", their lone All-star and the future of their team. Furthermore, the club has invested max money in him to prove it.

I just think as surprisingly arrogant as Roy has become, I can't see him willing to take a back seat to anyone - even Iverson.

Allanon
12-02-2009, 02:32 PM
:tu. Good points - all of them.

Ah, but remember Brandon Roy. Since his rookie year, he's been pimped by the ownership, management and coaching staff as the "new face of the Blazers", their lone All-star and the future of their team. Furthermore, the club has invested max money in him to prove it.

I just think as surprisingly arrogant as Roy has become, I can't see him willing to take a back seat to anyone - even Iverson.

I see your point about Roy. I'm kind of surprised he's taking this new tone this year. He's always been more of a laid back non-egotistical player.

He's changed over the summer, I'm starting to hear alot more about what "I" have to do or what "I" am sacrificing.

TwinTowers
12-02-2009, 07:26 PM
He's changed over the summer, I'm starting to hear alot more about what "I" have to do or what "I" am sacrificing.

That's what happens when teams give max contracts to players that haven't done anything to deserve that kind of money.

Spursmania
12-02-2009, 11:20 PM
I see your point about Roy. I'm kind of surprised he's taking this new tone this year. He's always been more of a laid back non-egotistical player.

I guess his true colors are showing.

Mel_13
02-22-2010, 10:53 AM

:wakeup