PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Pop's plan working wonders for Spurs offense

duncan228
12-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Pop's plan working wonders for Spurs offense (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Pops_plan_working_wonders_for_Spurs_offense.html)
Mike Monroe

Fifteen games into the season, taking the Spurs' offense back to its basics has been an unqualified success.

With seven new players to teach, coach Gregg Popovich tore entire chapters out of one of the league's thickest playbooks before opening training camp. Then he entrusted point guard Tony Parker with more offensive leadership than at any time in his career, an act of faith for someone not easily given to ceding control.

The results bear out both the simplification and forbearance. The Spurs are averaging 101.1 points per game, up from the 97.0 they averaged last season. Through Monday's game, that ranked them 12th in the NBA, a big jump from last season, when they were No. 23 in scoring. It is an even bigger increase over 2007-08, when they were No. 28, at 95.4 points per game.

The difference results from a roster that has more offensive talent and an offense that is less confusing.

“I'm not surprised too much,” new starting small forward Richard Jefferson said of the increase in offensive efficiency. “There's more offensive weapons than in the past.

“Naturally, a guy like Tony is going to find more open lanes. Tim (Duncan) is going to get more one-on-one coverage. In those situations, guys like that usually excel.”

Jefferson's scoring average is at 13.9 points, well below the 19.6 points per game he scored last season in Milwaukee. The dropoff was expected in the first month of the season, and Jefferson is confident it will increase as he gets more comfortable with his teammates and with an offense he knows was once one of the league's most intricate.

“For me, in the offense, going through and seeing different defenses and seeing different teams, I think the second and third time around playing different teams I'll be a lot more comfortable, understanding what to expect,” he said. “Right now, I'm still reacting, instead of playing more instinctively.”

As he has every season, Popovich has added to the playbook since the first day of camp, but even the pace of incremental adjustment has been slower than in past seasons.

“Sure, we've added things,” Popovich said, “but we're taking it slowly, and we're probably not going to add as much by the end of the season as we usually do. That's because 53 percent of the roster is new.”

The simplification has been relatively easy for Popovich to implement. For the most part, so has his plan to allow his point guards to run the offense with minimal input from the bench. Most often, he has remained in his seat, fighting the urge to flash signs like a third-base coach each time his team heads into the frontcourt.

“I'm really trying to make an effort to call fewer and fewer plays and let Tony run the show and let the flow of the motion and the reads they make dictate most of the offense,” Popovich said. “I get more involved after timeouts, and that kind of thing, but I'd really like them to read the situations on the court and play without my orchestrating much of anything.”

George Hill rapidly has developed as a solid backup for Parker but still gets a lot of direction from the coach.

“I can't say I've got the same thing as T.P.,” Hill said. “(Popovich) gives me the freedom to call what I want to call, but I try to keep it at a steady basic. A couple plays here and there on makes and on misses, so I won't get confused.

“T.P. has a variety of plays he can run, for himself or others. I just try to focus on a couple that I think suit the lineup in the game.”

HarlemHeat37
12-02-2009, 12:18 AM
I don't like the idea of letting Parker and Hill run whatever they want, maybe that's just me though..

Spursmania
12-02-2009, 12:26 AM
No wonder RJ is not as involved yet.

ElNono
12-02-2009, 01:14 AM
I think we have more weapons we haven't fully used yet. Once everyone realizes how good Dice's jumper is, I think we're going to go there often. Especially against teams packing the lane. RJ will get it together sooner or later. And if Mason and Bonner keep on taking turns getting hot, I think we could have one of the offenses with the highest octane out there.
That said, some nights shots are not going to go in, so I'm incredibly happy to see our steady progress on the defensive end.

ulosturedge
12-02-2009, 06:42 AM
Early on it looked like Pop let the team run whatever they wanted on offense. Considering all the new offensive weapons I could see why he started the season by letting them do whatever they wanted. But unfortunately the outcome seemed to be a lack of chemistry and rhythm in the offense. Causing the offense to lack any sense of identity, and at times they looked lost and unsure about what they were doing which in turn caused quite a bit of scoring droughts.

Now that they went back to the Tim and Tony show everything seems to be going back in the right direction on the offensive end again. The pick and roll, Timmy on the low-post, the inside outside game; all the things that the Spurs vets are use to seeing. And I think the sense of familiarity has gotten all the Spurs vets back into rhythm.

Through this they can start sprinkling in RJ and Dice into the offense. It's apparent that RJ needs to get comfortable with his new teammates before he can start imposing himself into the offense. For the Spurs to try and reinvent themselves on offense from the get-go seemed to have caused more problems then it solved. Good to see them get back to the things that made their offense roll.

benefactor
12-02-2009, 08:13 AM
I don't like the idea of letting Parker and Hill run whatever they want, maybe that's just me though..
I agree. Parker is used to doing what he has always done...which is look for his own offense, play the two man with Duncan or look to kick to a shooter. This pretty much turns RJ in to Bowen on offense.

If Pop wants to maximize RJ, he is going to have to run a few plays for him. The earlier in the game the better.

TwoHandJam
12-02-2009, 09:39 AM
I agree. Parker is used to doing what he has always done...which is look for his own offense, play the two man with Duncan or look to kick to a shooter. This pretty much turns RJ in to Bowen on offense.

If Pop wants to maximize RJ, he is going to have to run a few plays for him. The earlier in the game the better.

Well said.

spurspokesman
12-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Yup. He is our best finisher at the rim and most plays should be run for him on back door cuts and screens where he will be at his best. Unfortunately until tim and tony decides to really make way for rj or rj says f it and starts to go after it he will continue to struggle a bit.this offensive system sucks for him. I'm still convinced hell find his way.

nkdlunch
12-02-2009, 10:43 AM

so you rather give the ball to Finley/Mason and pray for the best???

xtremesteven33
12-02-2009, 11:33 AM
This teams identitiy should still be Defense first and Offense second.

The Truth #6
12-02-2009, 11:57 AM
so you rather give the ball to Finley/Mason and pray for the best???

I think the other option is to let Pop help orchestrate the flow of the offense. I don't think anyone is expecting Finley and Mason to be the playmakers.

The Truth #6
12-02-2009, 12:02 PM

I think their priority should be defense, but the offense still needs an identity.

We're doing well now because Tim is shooting at a very high percentage and the outside shooters are shooting lights out. That's our usual way of doing things. We've taken plays out, but it doesn't seem to have changed our offense in a way that has gotten the new guys involved yet. I'm curious to see if simplification of the current system is the way to go, or if they need to explore new directions to maximize our talent. If the playbook is thin right now then there is still time to add new stuff that takes the offense in a slightly different direction, at least on occasions.

Anyway, it's ok to let the PG's run things now and then but if the philosophy hasn't changed I don't see how this will accomodate the new players.

easjer
12-02-2009, 12:03 PM

An excellent summary of the position and why the Spurs need to focus on working out the kinks and not on their record. The only way wasn't working, which is why they brought in RJ to begin with. Now they need to adapt their game some (not totally change it, but figure out how to make him effective and reduce the burden from Tony and Timmy and Manu).

SpurNation
12-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Defense wins championships. Offense scores the winning basket. Can't win if you can't put the ball in the rim.

The options the team had at the end of the year last year were poor to none at scoring points. Granted Tony's got to learn to play to the strength's of RJ as well as his own. Especially when the defense presents fast break opportunities and the ball can be passed down the court faster than dribbling down the court. That's where RJ and Hill come into play.

As of right now from what I heard...the offensive playbook is based primarily on the strength's the team had last year and will start to incorporate other options (players)when the new players are cohesive in that area first.

I'm not worried. It's not like last year when Tony and Duncan were the only dependable options at the end of the season. I believe RJ, Hill and hopefully a healthy Manu will help balance that attack. But first...all must accept and learn what worked first before implementing something new.

TDMVPDPOY
12-02-2009, 12:20 PM
everything begins and ends with GHILL3,

portnoy1
12-02-2009, 02:18 PM
He is when GHill is running the point.

#2!
12-02-2009, 03:10 PM

I believe it still is, but the team simply has more offensive talent than defensive and so the offense, even when out of rhythm things just work out anyways due to talent level. I think the jump in offensive firepower is not a sign of moving away from the franchise's defensive mindset, but rather a new approach to making that defense even more effective when it is in lock-down mode.

SA210
12-02-2009, 03:16 PM

SA210
12-02-2009, 03:16 PM

Brazil
12-02-2009, 03:20 PM
He is when GHill is running the point.

what ? since when ?

#2!
12-02-2009, 03:31 PM
I think the other option is to let Pop help orchestrate the flow of the offense. I don't think anyone is expecting Finley and Mason to be the playmakers.

Sometimes I fear that the Spurs are not taking advantage of one of their greatest natural talents in Pop's ability to call the right plays at the right time. A little 4down heavy? Yes, but can anyone blame him when the greatest PF of all time is at your disposal?

I think their priority should be defense, but the offense still needs an identity.

We're doing well now because Tim is shooting at a very high percentage and the outside shooters are shooting lights out. That's our usual way of doing things. We've taken plays out, but it doesn't seem to have changed our offense in a way that has gotten the new guys involved yet. I'm curious to see if simplification of the current system is the way to go, or if they need to explore new directions to maximize our talent. If the playbook is thin right now then there is still time to add new stuff that takes the offense in a slightly different direction, at least on occasions.

Anyway, it's ok to let the PG's run things now and then but if the philosophy hasn't changed I don't see how this will accomodate the new players.

As far as new guys go, I don't believe they are as far behind as some may think. Dyess is basically taking over KT's role from last year, except now the shots fall, and honestly the team seems to already trust him to knock down those high post/baseline shots.

DeJuan, outside of the pick and roll (in which he alomst always slips the screen anyways), does not operate within offensive systems. And although teammates will come to trust him more or less as the season goes on, I wouldn't expect him to ever be more involved in set plays than he is now. He plays underneath the basket and either gets the ball by rebounding or when his defender is drawn away. Either way its an instant shot attempt if open, and usually if he's not as well(although he's displayed the ability to pass well).

So the only major new component not in place is RJ, and all the theories on getting him involved have been discussed so I won't go into much detail. Let me just say that I think there will come a time when RJ begins demanding the ball on mismatches, and TP will gain confidence in RJ's ability to finish on the break.

Until then, we're already better than last year's offense, so there isn't too much to worry about right now.

silverblackfan
12-02-2009, 03:55 PM
^ Agreed. We are already better and certainly more balanced on offense than March of last year. Pop will start adding to the playbook to spark certain players, but with all the firepower, probably feels the offense will work itself out.
Me, I am just loving that the scoring droughts of the last few years are starting to look like a distant memory.

HarlemHeat37
12-02-2009, 04:26 PM
I don't think we should be waiting that late though..this is the best time to get RJ in a rhythm..a lot of home games right now, and it's generally better for teams to build chemistry as soon as possible..

There aren't many guys I would trust to run an offense..Tony Parker doesn't even come close to that list, and don't take that the wrong way..George Hill shouldn't even be considered, he's barely a PG anyways..

Last game was BY FAR the most annoying..as I've said numerous times and I'll keep repeating..RJ was being covered by Jason Kapono for a LONG stretch, and he only had 1 attempt at making the play..he got past Kapono easily, but Duncan was in the way on his finish, because it wasn't even a called isolation play for RJ..if one of the worst defenders of all-time is guarding him, he needs to have some plays ran for him..

This team has very little margin of error if we want to see a title..all the weapons need to be used, especially the guy that was supposed to come in as a 3rd/4th option and make us an offensive juggernaut..

EricB
12-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Pops let Tony run whAtever he wanted for about 3 years now....

HarlemHeat37
12-02-2009, 04:31 PM
I don't know if that's true, I'll take your word for it, but it's completely different now..

It's much easier when you have a prime Duncan and Ginobili, and the system is completely built around 3 guys creating all of the offense, and every other player on the team playing a role..

This is the first time in the Duncan/Parker/Ginobili era that we have a 4th guy that needs the ball to be effective, so I'd rather the best coach in the NBA call the plays and get him involved..Jefferson isn't a great defender and doesn't really do anything else at a top-tier level, so his scoring has to be used, or else he's useless on the court..

quentin_compson
12-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Last game was BY FAR the most annoying..as I've said numerous times and I'll keep repeating..RJ was being covered by Jason Kapono for a LONG stretch, and he only had 1 attempt at making the play..he got past Kapono easily, but Duncan was in the way on his finish, because it wasn't even a called isolation play for RJ..if one of the worst defenders of all-time is guarding him, he needs to have some plays ran for him..

Very true. You would think that if RJ is used as a PF when going small, he would get some situations where he can post up on the other end. Wasn't the case, though.

raspsa
12-02-2009, 09:52 PM
I knew Pop would eventually find a way to implant his system in his players..

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_zBbk7VOCdHI/StzDLVCyVlI/AAAAAAAAC4M/T1SYZLF8410/s320/post_tutorial_mad-scientist_6_470.jpg

SenorSpur
12-02-2009, 10:21 PM

If Pop wants to maximize RJ, he is going to have to run a few plays for him.

..and Pop is going to have to force Tony to run those plays for RJ.

duncan228
12-03-2009, 12:54 PM
A Simple Plan For Spurs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-asimpleplanforspurs&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

The Spurs’ scoring is up this season, and certainly one reason for the spike is the addition of Richard Jefferson. But another reason could be a simpler, more efficient approach on offense. Coach Gregg Popovich simplified the playbook at the beginning of season, and that seems to be paying off.

"I’m really trying to make an effort to call fewer and fewer plays and let Tony (Parker) run the show,” Popovich told the San Antonio Express-News.

Tonight will be a good test of the team’s offensive flow, when the Celtics make a visit to San Antonio (8 ET, TNT). The Celtics, as usual, have one of the NBA’s best defenses, allowing just 91.2 points per game.