PDA

View Full Version : An Open Letter to President Obama by Michael Moore

Cry Havoc
12-02-2009, 02:54 AM
An Open Letter to President Obama from Michael Moore

Dear President Obama,

Do you really want to be the new "war president"? If you go to West Point tomorrow night (Tuesday, 8pm) and announce that you are increasing, rather than withdrawing, the troops in Afghanistan, you are the new war president. Pure and simple. And with that you will do the worst possible thing you could do -- destroy the hopes and dreams so many millions have placed in you. With just one speech tomorrow night you will turn a multitude of young people who were the backbone of your campaign into disillusioned cynics. You will teach them what they've always heard is true -- that all politicians are alike. I simply can't believe you're about to do what they say you are going to do. Please say it isn't so.

It is not your job to do what the generals tell you to do. We are a civilian-run government. WE tell the Joint Chiefs what to do, not the other way around. That's the way General Washington insisted it must be. That's what President Truman told General MacArthur when MacArthur wanted to invade China. "You're fired!," said Truman, and that was that. And you should have fired Gen. McChrystal when he went to the press to preempt you, telling the press what YOU had to do. Let me be blunt: We love our kids in the armed services, but we f*#&in' hate these generals, from Westmoreland in Vietnam to, yes, even Colin Powell for lying to the UN with his made-up drawings of WMD (he has since sought redemption).

So now you feel backed into a corner. 30 years ago this past Thursday (Thanksgiving) the Soviet generals had a cool idea -- "Let's invade Afghanistan!" Well, that turned out to be the final nail in the USSR coffin.

There's a reason they don't call Afghanistan the "Garden State" (though they probably should, seeing how the corrupt President Karzai, whom we back, has his brother in the heroin trade raising poppies). Afghanistan's nickname is the "Graveyard of Empires." If you don't believe it, give the British a call. I'd have you call Genghis Khan but I lost his number. I do have Gorbachev's number though. It's + 41 22 789 1662. I'm sure he could give you an earful about the historic blunder you're about to commit.

With our economic collapse still in full swing and our precious young men and women being sacrificed on the altar of arrogance and greed, the breakdown of this great civilization we call America will head, full throttle, into oblivion if you become the "war president." Empires never think the end is near, until the end is here. Empires think that more evil will force the heathens to toe the line -- and yet it never works. The heathens usually tear them to shreds.

Choose carefully, President Obama. You of all people know that it doesn't have to be this way. You still have a few hours to listen to your heart, and your own clear thinking. You know that nothing good can come from sending more troops halfway around the world to a place neither you nor they understand, to achieve an objective that neither you nor they understand, in a country that does not want us there. You can feel it in your bones.

I know you know that there are LESS than a hundred al-Qaeda left in Afghanistan! A hundred thousand troops trying to crush a hundred guys living in caves? Are you serious? Have you drunk Bush's Kool-Aid? I refuse to believe it.

Your potential decision to expand the war (while saying that you're doing it so you can "end the war") will do more to set your legacy in stone than any of the great things you've said and done in your first year. One more throwing a bone from you to the Republicans and the coalition of the hopeful and the hopeless may be gone -- and this nation will be back in the hands of the haters quicker than you can shout "tea bag!"

Choose carefully, Mr. President. Your corporate backers are going to abandon you as soon as it is clear you are a one-term president and that the nation will be safely back in the hands of the usual idiots who do their bidding. That could be Wednesday morning.

We the people still love you. We the people still have a sliver of hope. But we the people can't take it anymore. We can't take your caving in, over and over, when we elected you by a big, wide margin of millions to get in there and get the job done. What part of "landslide victory" don't you understand?

Don't be deceived into thinking that sending a few more troops into Afghanistan will make a difference, or earn you the respect of the haters. They will not stop until this country is torn asunder and every last dollar is extracted from the poor and soon-to-be poor. You could send a million troops over there and the crazy Right still wouldn't be happy. You would still be the victim of their incessant venom on hate radio and television because no matter what you do, you can't change the one thing about yourself that sends them over the edge.

The haters were not the ones who elected you, and they can't be won over by abandoning the rest of us.

President Obama, it's time to come home. Ask your neighbors in Chicago and the parents of the young men and women doing the fighting and dying if they want more billions and more troops sent to Afghanistan. Do you think they will say, "No, we don't need health care, we don't need jobs, we don't need homes. You go on ahead, Mr. President, and send our wealth and our sons and daughters overseas, 'cause we don't need them, either."

What would Martin Luther King, Jr. do? What would your grandmother do? Not send more poor people to kill other poor people who pose no threat to them, that's what they'd do. Not spend billions and trillions to wage war while American children are sleeping on the streets and standing in bread lines.

All of us that voted and prayed for you and cried the night of your victory have endured an Orwellian hell of eight years of crimes committed in our name: torture, rendition, suspension of the bill of rights, invading nations who had not attacked us, blowing up neighborhoods that Saddam "might" be in (but never was), slaughtering wedding parties in Afghanistan. We watched as hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians were slaughtered and tens of thousands of our brave young men and women were killed, maimed, or endured mental anguish -- the full terror of which we scarcely know.

When we elected you we didn't expect miracles. We didn't even expect much change. But we expected some. We thought you would stop the madness. Stop the killing. Stop the insane idea that men with guns can reorganize a nation that doesn't even function as a nation and never, ever has.

Stop, stop, stop! For the sake of the lives of young Americans and Afghan civilians, stop. For the sake of your presidency, hope, and the future of our nation, stop. For God's sake, stop.

Tonight we still have hope.

Tomorrow, we shall see. The ball is in your court. You DON'T have to do this. You can be a profile in courage. You can be your mother's son.

We're counting on you.

Yours,
Michael Moore

EmptyMan
12-02-2009, 08:49 AM
"You can be your mother's son."

lol Moore, stfu.

ElNono
12-02-2009, 08:55 AM
http://www.realfreewebsites.com/blog/img/fail2.jpg

DarrinS
12-02-2009, 09:08 AM
People as far left as Moore can't be taken seriously.

spursncowboys
12-02-2009, 10:13 AM
I wonder why M. Moore doesn't just say it to BHO's face since he visits the WH. I think we should take Moore seriously because this is the type of people BHO associates himself with. Just like Bush and say Weekly Standard.

SpurNation
12-02-2009, 10:32 AM
So. Why is it important to continue the campaign in Afghanistan if all that was said in this letter were true?

Could it be that Obama (President and "Chief Protector" of our nation) has a bit clearer picture of the situation in Afghanistan than a hollywood celebrity radical?

Of all the candidates that ran for office...Obama was/is the last person that would want to be a "War President". I would be the last person that would want to harm somebody either. But if it truely meant protecting my children from harm...I wouldn't hesitate to defend or even kill in order to protect them.

Just wondering...what does Obama really know to be fact regarding Afghanistan?

Better yet...what does Michael Moore really know to warrant this letter?

jack sommerset
12-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Moore finally came to terms that Obama is a liar and speaks from both sides of his mouth. Welcome to the party. Moore represents alot of Obama dems. I can't wait for the bitches in pink to get some TV time now.

clambake
12-02-2009, 11:03 AM
would you rather he spend one day a week with ted haggard?

panic giraffe
12-02-2009, 11:06 AM
i don't understand any outrage that the left would say after his speech last night. dude made it clear on the campaign trail that he would leave irag and escalate afganistan because that is what he believes has a benefit to this country. not once did he say he was ending all wars, that's just how the right wanted to paint him, as weak on security. part of the whole reason biden eventually won the job was because of his knowledge of afganistan. obama is merely doing what any educated person would, finding the right people to mull over the situation and finding the best possible way to acomplish our goal (find bin laden, increase stabilty in the area so that al queda can't just set up shop in a whole freggin country, get the fuck out). i consider myself just as left as moore, and i'm quite proud w/yesterday's speech.

Crookshanks
12-02-2009, 02:00 PM
i consider myself just as left as moore, and i'm quite proud w/yesterday's speech.
Then you're a moron just like the idiot blowhard Moore.

Flint, Michigan is a hellhole - and Michael Moore is the worst demon to come from that hellhole.

spursncowboys
12-02-2009, 03:51 PM

Flint, Michigan is a hellhole - and Michael Moore is the worst demon to come from that hellhole.

He's not from Flint. But all of Michigan is going down, and coincidentally the big cities in MI have been ran by pro union, raise taxes Democrats for over 60 years.

Crookshanks
12-02-2009, 04:04 PM
He's not from Flint. But all of Michigan is going down, and coincidentally the big cities in MI have been ran by pro union, raise taxes Democrats for over 60 years.
I know - I grew up in Flint. Moore is actually from Davison, a little town just east of Flint. Interesting tidbit - when Moore was growing up in Davison, it was about 99.9% white - not much for racial diversity.

My dad worked for General Motors for 43 years - and he's a pro-union democrat. I was so mad at him for voting for Obama that I didn't speak to him for several weeks. I asked him the other day if the people in Michigan are ever going to wise up and stop electing liberal democrats - since they've almost completely ruined the state.

spursncowboys
12-02-2009, 04:26 PM
My family is from Detroit and worked for Ford and Chrysler. They lucked out and moved when I was a baby.

What did your dad say?

Oh, Gee!!
12-02-2009, 04:28 PM
I was so mad at him for voting for Obama that I didn't speak to him for several weeks.

you're a horrible person

NFGIII
12-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Though I don't support Moore he does have a point about Afghanistan. It's a hell hole and we should just get out. Leave it to them. His history about the country is pretty much right on in respect to the British and Soviets - it's not worth our blood to control.

Our efforts in Iraqi may one day bear fruit but I'm not going to hold my breath. As with Vietman we go into a country(ies) that isn't/aren't founded on Judeo-Christian ethics and have little if any concept of democracy and proceed to introduce those ideas as if they want them. Most of them don't and will reject them when we leave. I don't believe it's our destiny to save the world by introducing Americana to the "unenlightened". Who are we to say that another way of life is wrong and we are right? I think it's time we/some of our leaders got off this notion we're better than others and our way is THE way.

There was a time after WWII where the US was looked upon as a savior or a nation of compassion that wanted to help those in need. Now we're just viewed as invaders who are arrogant. We've become the modern day Soviets. It's time to pull back and regroup. Focus on our problems and let others fend for themselves. We will still be there ot help when disasters happen but enough of the meddling. If you need to protect this country like Bush thought he needed to in Afghanistan then go ahead and use military force in a surgical strike situation. But don't get bogged down in the internal affiars of a nation that most of us don't really understand much lesss try to "Americanize" it.

panic giraffe
12-02-2009, 04:52 PM

wait, so you're attacking my intellect on what basis?

for not seeing eye to eye w/moore?

or for just being a liberal?

either way you must have not been able to read the whole post. you should try sylvan they do wonders for kids with learning disorders.

clambake
12-02-2009, 04:56 PM
so, skanks shits on her father about obama.....yet bush did absolutely jackshit for them.

this may be based solely on color.

thanks for that veiled confession.

DarrinS
12-02-2009, 04:58 PM
so, skanks shits on her father about obama.....yet bush did absolutely jackshit for them.

this may be based solely on color.

thanks for that veiled confession.

It was only a matter of time before this tired card got played.

clambake
12-02-2009, 05:02 PM
you think it's tired?

explain what bush did for her dad in 8 years.

or shut it.

DarrinS
12-02-2009, 05:06 PM
you think it's tired?

explain what bush did for her dad in 8 years.

or shut it.

Even if Bush was the most horrid POTUS in history, it doesn't make an Obama critic a racist.

Now, shut your pie hole and learn how to use a shift key.

clambake
12-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Even if Bush was the most horrid POTUS in history, it doesn't make an Obama critic a racist.

Now, shut your pie hole and learn how to use a shift key.

i'm not a big pie fan, however, i made a buttermilk pie for the first time this thanksgiving.

strange holidays in this country.

TeyshaBlue
12-02-2009, 05:28 PM
i'm not a big pie fan, however, i made a buttermilk pie for the first time this thanksgiving.

strange holidays in this country.

Buttermilk? Meh.

Cry Havoc
12-02-2009, 05:35 PM
I was so mad at him for voting for Obama that I didn't speak to him for several weeks.

That's pathetic.

clambake
12-02-2009, 05:37 PM
leave crooks alone. she's a great singer.

Crookshanks
12-02-2009, 05:39 PM
My family is from Detroit and worked for Ford and Chrysler. They lucked out and moved when I was a baby.

What did your dad say?
My dad worked for AC Spark Plug - which doesn't even exist anymore. He now lives just north of Flint in a little town called Montrose and he said he doesn't even like to go into Flint because it's so depressing. EVERY factory he worked in for all those years is GONE!

What he said to me was "oh you be quiet, you Republican." So I said, well dad, are you happy with the buffoon in the White House? He can't seem to do anything right or keep his promises. Dad didn't have an answer. And what's so sad is that if this Obamanation of a healthcare bill gets passed, my dad will be one of those whose care will be rationed because of his age and health history.

Oh - and he did tell me my grandfather would probably be turning over in his grave to hear my views. Then I said - well dad, there was a need for unions back when grandpa worked in the factory, but not anymore.

jacobdrj
12-02-2009, 05:40 PM
I am not reading the letter. Merely came in to post my view on Moore.

He is an idiot. He is a liar. And because of his antics, he cost the Dems any chance at a presidential win in 2004 by turning moderates against the Dems with his blatant lying in his 'documentaries'.

I hope he gets a stroke and looses his ability to communicate so he doesn't cause any more harm.

clambake
12-02-2009, 05:45 PM
hey crooks, did you send a thank you letter to bush for all the things he did for your dad?

Crookshanks
12-02-2009, 05:46 PM
wait, so you're attacking my intellect on what basis?

for not seeing eye to eye w/moore?

or for just being a liberal?

either way you must have not been able to read the whole post. you should try sylvan they do wonders for kids with learning disorders.

Moore is a moron because of his beliefs and lying "documentaries". You are a moron because you said you were proud of Obama's speech.

jacobdrj
12-02-2009, 05:48 PM
My dad worked for AC Spark Plug - which doesn't even exist anymore. He now lives just north of Flint in a little town called Montrose and he said he doesn't even like to go into Flint because it's so depressing. EVERY factory he worked in for all those years is GONE!

What he said to me was "oh you be quiet, you Republican." So I said, well dad, are you happy with the buffoon in the White House? He can't seem to do anything right or keep his promises. Dad didn't have an answer. And what's so sad is that if this Obamanation of a healthcare bill gets passed, my dad will be one of those whose care will be rationed because of his age and health history.

Oh - and he did tell me my grandfather would probably be turning over in his grave to hear my views. Then I said - well dad, there was a need for unions back when grandpa worked in the factory, but not anymore.

I understand there are very emotional points here. Unions still have a place, however, the established unions are corrupt and don't serve the function they were originally set up to perform. They are just extensions of organized crime right now.

Michigan needs to get away from a manufacturing economy and move to one of talent and innovation (which stems from the few positive legacies of the Automotive industry). Michigan needs to distance itself from the perceptions of old Detroit (as it will never be as it was in the 50's.) and move on to become a strategically placed center of commerce between Canada and the rest of the US.

As far as the country goes: Bailouts never should have happened in the 1st place, but once started, I don't see how Obama or anyone else could have just turned that policy back.

As far as health care reform. The system we have is the free market gone wild. The pure free market does not work. You need regulation. Perhaps we should start there. Simple things like forcing health care service providers to list 100% of their costs and forcing insurance companies to refuse care based on pre-existing conditions of current customers pay back all previous insurance payments with interest.

clambake
12-02-2009, 05:49 PM
what did bush do for your dad, crooks?

must be an enormous amount of things considering the 8 years.

you did explain to your dad, right?

or did you just shit on him?

Crookshanks
12-02-2009, 05:51 PM
hey crooks, did you send a thank you letter to bush for all the things he did for your dad?

Well - Bush did lower his taxes and gave him the Medicare Drug Program (which I disagreed with). And, he kept this country safe for 7 years. But my dad's of that liberal ilk that blamed all the problems in the country on Bush. Of course, he never takes the time to educate himself and only watches the MSM. I have 2 brothers and a sister, and all of us are conservatives, as was my mother. Dad is the odd one out!

Oh - and I gave him a hard time when he also voted for Clinton. I told him I might be able to forgive him for voting for Clinton the 1st time, but I couldn't for the life of me understand how he could vote for him the 2nd time!

Winehole23
12-02-2009, 05:53 PM
You are a moron because you said you were proud of Obama's speech.I thought Obama's speech was horrible, too. Maybe his worst ever. It's right up there with his hacky, robotic speech on Election night last year.

Cry Havoc
12-02-2009, 07:52 PM
And, he kept this country safe for 7 years.

Too bad he was in office 8.

Yonivore
12-02-2009, 09:26 PM
I didn't care what Moore said when he was blowing Obama...

Yonivore
12-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Too bad he was in office 8.
Actually, it's too bad Clinton goon Jamie Gorelick prevented law enforcement from sharing intelligence with those who would stop such activities.

President Bush kept this country from suffering another attack in the 7 years and 4 months following September 11. His detractors spent the same period of time rewriting history and making George Bush out to be more evil than our enemies.

Marcus Bryant
12-05-2009, 04:35 PM
You ain't a real 'murican unless you support sending someone else's kids to die for the state.

Anyways, for all the talk of Change last year, all I see is Continuity.

baseline bum
12-05-2009, 06:00 PM
My dad worked for General Motors for 43 years - and he's a pro-union democrat. I was so mad at him for voting for Obama that I didn't speak to him for several weeks.

And you wonder why people consider you a political nut here.

sabar
12-06-2009, 05:06 AM
My dad worked for General Motors for 43 years - and he's a pro-union democrat. I was so mad at him for voting for Obama that I didn't speak to him for several weeks.

It is when tragedy strikes during these arguments that people realize how foolish their beliefs are in the grand scheme of things.

EmptyMan
12-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Family or not, you can't fix stupid.

Crookshanks
12-06-2009, 11:47 PM
It is when tragedy strikes during these arguments that people realize how foolish their beliefs are in the grand scheme of things.
Actually, it's people who don't really give a damn that have gotten us into this mess. They don't take the time to educate themselves about the candidates or political ideals, so they don't have a clue what, or who, they're voting for. And then you add in the vast numbers of people who can't even be bothered to vote - and you get the mess this country is in right now.

I'm very passionate about my beliefs and ideals and convictions. And this is the same father who raised us in a strict, Christian home - I just couldn't reconcile our upbringing with his voting for Obama. And I really feel that Obama is going to screw up this country in a BIG way - and it made me furious that my father helped elect him.

balli
12-06-2009, 11:51 PM
edit: nevermind

I just gutted crooked with the insult of a lifetime. Even though it was hilarious, it was probably the single meanest thing I could have possibly ever said to someone.

I'll edit out what I originally said. You're welcome, crooked.

Shastafarian
12-07-2009, 12:00 AM
Moore is a moron because of his beliefs and lying "documentaries".
Tolerance!

And, he kept this country safe for 7 years.Selective History!

Of course, he never takes the time to educate himself and only watches the MSM.Talk Radio!

I told him I might be able to forgive him for voting for Clinton the 1st time, but I couldn't for the life of me understand how he could vote for him the 2nd time!I might be able to forgive you for being such a horrible person. But I won't.

I'm very passionate about my beliefs and ideals and convictions. And this is the same father who raised us in a strict, Christian home - I just couldn't reconcile our upbringing with his voting for Obama.Muslim President!

Soul_Patch
12-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Actually, it's too bad Clinton goon Jamie Gorelick prevented law enforcement from sharing intelligence with those who would stop such activities.

President Bush kept this country from suffering another attack in the 7 years and 4 months following September 11. His detractors spent the same period of time rewriting history and making George Bush out to be more evil than our enemies.

Dont stop there, lets talk about the other stuff he prevented:

He prevented hostile martian invader takeover of the world
He prevented the earth from flying into the sun
He prevented a giant sea monster from launching out of the Atlantic and swallowing NYC whole

Those are just a few of the things that didnt happen...Thank God for GWB

admiralsnackbar
12-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Then I said - well dad, there was a need for unions back when grandpa worked in the factory, but not anymore.

Of course they don't need unions anymore: there aren't enough jobs left up in MI to warrant them. If unions had been stronger (or, more likely, smarter and less-corrupt) they could have lobbied the same politicians (on both sides of the aisles) who got cozy with corporate execs to ship all the work to China and worked something out to keep the jobs where they belonged.

As for Bush helping your dad out with tax cuts... what good are tax cuts if you devalue the currency by borrowing hand over fist from the Chinese? Not much good at all, besides being a PR bait-and-switch you seem to have swallowed.

EmptyMan
12-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Dont stop there, lets talk about the other stuff he prevented:

He prevented hostile martian invader takeover of the world
He prevented the earth from flying into the sun
He prevented a giant sea monster from launching out of the Atlantic and swallowing NYC whole

Those are just a few of the things that didnt happen...Thank God for GWB

He also prevented the Second Great Depression AND created or saved 1.6 million jobs.

wait wut?

spursncowboys
12-07-2009, 01:19 PM
edit: nevermind

I just gutted crooked with the insult of a lifetime. Even though it was hilarious, it was probably the single meanest thing I could have possibly ever said to someone.

I'll edit out what I originally said. You're welcome, crooked.
:lmao I doubt your posts effects anyone's emotions on this post.

admiralsnackbar
12-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Just wondering...what does Obama really know to be fact regarding Afghanistan?

I think it has much more to do with having a police force beside Pakistan (since their polity is too organized to peaceably stand for an American occupation) to secure their nukes and to put more pressure on Iran (now from Afghanistan and Iraq) to disarm or face consequences. Afghanistan itself is secondary, I think, since it has no strategic value in and of itself, and we certainly don't have the money to start a good-will rehabilitation of their political and physical infrastructure for the heck of it.