PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Celtics Previews

duncan228
12-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Boston Celtics @ San Antonio Spurs
Thursday, November 3
TNT, 8:00 EST

Announcers: Marv Albert (play-by-play), Mike Fratello (analyst), Reggie Miller (analyst) and David Aldridge (reporter)

The Celtics continue their four-game road trip with a stop in San Antonio to take on the red-hot Spurs on Thursday night at 8 p.m. ET.

The Spurs are in the midst of a five-game winning streak, but still trail the first-place Dallas Mavericks by 2 1/2 games in the Southwest Division. After starting the month of November at 2-5, they picked up the pace thanks to a favorable schedule which has them playing nine of 11 games at home.

Tim Duncan leads the team with 18.5 points and 10.8 rebounds a game while Tony Parker is chipping in with 5.5 assists per game.

The C’s and Spurs split their two games last season with both teams winning on the road. San Antonio topped the Celtics 105-99 at the Garden to hand Boston one of its three losses in the month of November. Boston then took their next meeting in San Antonio by stumping the Spurs 80-77 thanks to Ray Allen’s 19 points. That win was Kevin Garnett’s first after sitting out the previous 13 contests with a knee injury.

ffadicted
12-02-2009, 02:51 PM
I've got a bad feeling about this one.... :depressed:depressed
Hope I'm wrong

bdictjames
12-02-2009, 02:53 PM
We were 2-5? I thought we were 4-4 at one point.

duncan228
12-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Boston (14-4) at San Antonio (9-6) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2009120324&prov=ap)
Game info: 8:00 pm EST Thu Dec 3, 2009
TV: TNT
By Kate Hedlin

The San Antonio Spurs took advantage of an easy portion in their schedule to get on track after a poor start to the season.

Things are about to get much tougher.

The Spurs host the Boston Celtics on Thursday as both teams go for their sixth straight win.

San Antonio (9-6) lost six of its first 10 games to post the worst start in the Tim Duncan era.

An ankle injury caused Duncan to miss two victories during that stretch, but he’s been a key factor during the current five-game winning streak, averaging 20.6 points and 9.8 rebounds. He’s led the team in scoring in three of the wins, including a 97-89 victory over Philadelphia on Sunday.

The Spurs held the 76ers to 39.3 percent shooting and gave up fewer than 90 points for the third time during the win streak. They are yielding an average of 91.8 points in the last five games - seven fewer than the first 10 games.

“We really shouldn’t care that much about winning five in a row,” said Manu Ginobili, who returned Sunday after missing five games with a strained groin and finished with eight points and three turnovers in 17 minutes.

“It’s always good. It helps your confidence, and of course your standings, but we still believe we’ve got a long way to go.”

Ginobili and the Spurs may be hesitant to make too much of the winning streak given the quality of the opponents. Three of the teams they defeated have losing records and the other two—Houston and Milwaukee—have spent much of the season hovering around .500.

San Antonio’s upcoming schedule should provide a bigger test, with home games against division leaders Boston and Denver before Monday’s visit to Utah, which has won six of seven.

However, not all the Spurs see the upcoming game against the Celtics (14-4) as a measuring stick.

“Right now, neither team is going to be as sharp as they’d like,” Richard Jefferson said. “I think both teams are going to be a lot better later in the season. … We’re standing firm with (coach Gregg Popovich) that we’re learning, we’re all trying to get better from day to day.”

The Spurs haven’t won six in a row since Dec. 4-14, 2008.

Boston brings its own five-game winning streak into San Antonio as it continues a four-game road trip. The Celtics beat Charlotte 108-90 on Tuesday behind Ray Allen’s best performance of the season.

Allen came in averaging 15.2 points but finished with 27—he scored more than 20 in only one other game all season—and hit five of his six 3-point attempts. He had been 7 for 27 from beyond the arc in the previous six games.

“I put some baby oil on the rim,” Allen said, smiling. “I said earlier I had to just put it in, just swish the ball, not even mess around with the rim. It’s really all a body thing, just getting your legs in the air and being consistent.”

Allen regaining his shooting touch adds another weapon to an offense averaging 107.2 points and shooting 51.6 percent over the winning streak. Paul Pierce averaged 26.0 points in the first three games of it, although he’s been held to a combined 23 in the last two. He was 3 of 8 from the field Tuesday to finish with a season-low eight points.

Boston and San Antonio split their two games last season with each winning on the other team’s court. The Celtics have won three in a row at the AT&T Center.

Team Stat Leaders

Tim Duncan SA 18.5

Rebounds
Kendrick Perkins Bos 7.7
Tim Duncan SA 10.8

Assists
Rajon Rondo Bos 9.0
Tony Parker SA 5.5

xtremesteven33
12-02-2009, 04:43 PM
My NBA Finals dream matchup.....:depressed

Spurs Brazil
12-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Hope I'm wrong

I have the opposite.

I think it'll be our best game of the season

YoMamaIsCallin
12-02-2009, 05:08 PM
“I put some baby oil on the rim,” Allen said, smiling. “I said earlier I had to just put it in, ...

Way, waaaay TMI.

temujin
12-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Watched Boston last night.

Played pretty darn well.

Hard to beat for the Spurs at the moment.

AussieFanKurt
12-02-2009, 05:51 PM
I remember getting up at 4am to watch that game last year. And it was well worth it.

"Roger Mason Jnr takes big shots and makes big shots!"

BlackBellamy
12-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Way, waaaay TMI.

Jesus christ, that is funny. Didn't even think about how that sounded.

panic giraffe
12-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Hope I'm wrong

i do too, but mainly because i think they had too long of a break, but maybe they can play that to their advantage.

i have tickets and really want to go, but i have to be at work til 8, i'm debating just risking unemployement or going speeding to halftime.

iggypop123
12-02-2009, 06:10 PM
damn are the spurs at least healthy? i can kiss my 7pg paper goodbye ill be watching this

ffadicted
12-02-2009, 06:53 PM
damn are the spurs at least healthy? i can kiss my 7pg paper goodbye ill be watching this

I have an exam on friday that's not getting studied for lol :hat

iggypop123
12-02-2009, 07:01 PM
you can bs your way through a test. a, b or c but not a damn paper!

Jason R
12-02-2009, 07:14 PM
I don't think the Spurs will win; I'm not sure the Spurs think they're at that level either. That said, that's not what's important about this game. Nearing the quarter mark of the season, it will be an important gauge for how far the team has come. If it's a win, fantastic. If it's a loss, I can live with that for the meantime. As long as I see competitiveness and fire; it's easy enough to demonstrate the hot hand against poor to average teams, to demonstrate it against a defensive team like the Celtics will be more impressive.

Again, what I consider important about this game is not necessarily a win per say, but a demonstration of toughness and competition. If they get blown out it will be severely disheartening.

duncan228
12-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Video: Celtics-Spurs preview (http://espn.go.com/blog/bostonceltics/post/_/id/4669890/video-celtics-spurs-preview)

ESPN basketball analyst Tim Legler looks ahead to Thursday night's marquee matchup between the Celtics and Spurs.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bostonceltics/post/_/id/4669890/video-celtics-spurs-preview

Technique
12-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Got a good feeling about this one.

Spursmania
12-02-2009, 09:00 PM
I have the opposite.

I think it'll be our best game of the season

Me too:toast

ezau
12-02-2009, 09:18 PM
this one is gonna be good.

TIMMYD!
12-02-2009, 09:48 PM
This is going to be epic.

SamoanTD
12-02-2009, 10:38 PM
lets get it spurs I feel its gonna be a good game

Phenomanul
12-03-2009, 12:20 AM
The four days off is going to be the Spurs' undoing... not an excuse, but a reality... they're 0-3 this year after that much time off... They start off rusty, and put themselves in a hole they can't dig themselves out of...

Hopefully I'm wrong...

duncan228
12-03-2009, 01:02 AM
Thursday: Celtics (14-4) at Spurs (9-6) (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Thursday_Celtics_14-4_at_Spurs_9-6.html)

Time: 7 p.m.
TV: TNT
Radio: WOAI-AM 1200, KCOR-AM 1350

STARTING LINEUPS
POS - SPURS - CELTICS

PG - 9 Tony Parker (6-2, 9th yr) - 9 Rajon Rondo (6-1, 4th yr)
Rondo has made only 42.9% of his free throws this season.

SG - 10 Keith Bogans (6-5, 7th yr) - 20 Ray Allen (6-5, 14th yr)
Allen, 39.8% career 3-point shooter, has made only 34% this season.

SF - 24 Richard Jefferson (6-7, 9th yr) - 34 Paul Pierce (6-7, 12th yr)
Jefferson shot better than 50% in only 3 of 12 November games.

PF - 21 Tim Duncan (6-11, 13th yr) - 5 Kevin Garnett (6-11, 15th yr)
Garnett is 22 of 26 from field in last three games.

C - 34 Antonio McDyess (6-10, 15th yr) - 43 Kendrick Perkins (6-10, 6th yr)
McDyess went scoreless against 76ers after double-double at Houston.

SPURS RESERVES

8 Roger Mason Jr., G, 6-5, 6th yr
20 Manu Ginobili, G, 6-6, 8th yr
3 George Hill, G, 6-2, 2nd yr
15 Matt Bonner, 6-10, 6th yr
45 DeJuan Blair, F, 6-7, 1st yr
4 Michael Finley, F, 6-7, 15th yr
42 Theo Ratliff, F/C, 6-10, 15th yr
1 Malik Hairston, G/F, 6-6, 2nd yr
28 Ian Mahinmi, F/C, 6-11, 3rd yr
22 Marcus Haislip, F, 6-10, 4th yr

CELTICS RESERVES

42 Tony Allen, G, 6-4, 6th yr
7 Marquis Daniels, G, 6-6, 6th yr
11 Glen Davis, F, 6-9, 3rd yr
4 J.R. Giddens, G, 6-5, 2nd yr
50 Eddie House, G, 6-1, 10th yr
26 Lester Hudson, G, 6-3, 1st yr
44 Brian Scalabrine, F, 6-9, 9th yr
12 Bill Walker, F, 6-6, 2nd yr
30 R. Wallace, C-F, 6-11, 15th yr
13 S. Williams, C-F, 6-9, 4th yr

COACHES
Spurs: Gregg Popovich
Celtics: Doc Rivers

INJURIES

Spurs: Mason (strained left hamstring) is probable.
Celtics: Davis (right thumb injury) is out. Allen (sore right ankle) is day-to-day.

PROJECTED INACTIVE PLAYERS

Spurs: Mahinmi, Hairston, Haislip.
Celtics: Davis, Allen.

NOTABLE

Spurs split season series with Celtics last season, losing at the AT&T Center and winning in Boston. ... Both teams are on five-game win streaks. ... After losing 16 in a row to the Spurs from 1997 through 2005-06, the Celtics have won four of the last six games over the past three seasons and have won the last two at the AT&T Center.

- Mike Monroe

duncan228
12-03-2009, 02:46 AM
http://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/5994820198_Duncan_12032009.jpg
The Celtics face off against Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs tonight.

Scouting report: Celtics at Spurs (http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/20091203scouting_report_celtics_at_spurs/srvc=home&position=also)
By Herald Staff

BY THE NUMBERS

1-1: Last year’s season series.

6-1: Celtics on the road.

WHO’S HURT

For the Celtics, Glen Davis (thumb surgery) and Tony Allen (ankle) are out. The Spurs are healthy.

WHO’S HOT

For the Celts, Kendrick Perkins has shot 33-for-41 over his last six games. For the Spurs, Tim Duncan averaged 19 points and 11 rebounds against the C’s last year.

WHO’S NOT

For the Celts, Eddie House is shooting .404 from the floor.

BOTTOM LINE

The Celtics, on a 5-0 roll, finally put together a complete game Tuesday night in Charlotte. The timing is thus good for a Spurs team that is now thriving with Richard Jefferson in the lineup.

Velo
12-03-2009, 03:00 AM
I find a ton of irony in this game. Manu is back after 5 games injured, spurs on a five-game win streak and he says "we shouldn't care that much about winning 5 games in a row". Also, that the spurs have done well considering that one of the big 3 have been injured at one point during their wins(or someone has usually been injured in general).

Personal irony is Reggie Miller is calling/commentating the game. He was my favorite player (loved it when he dropped 8pts on the Knicks in under 30 secs!), but just a terrible commentator(as if that wasn't stated billions of times here). He kinda ruins it for me when he speaks.

LoneStarState'sPride
12-03-2009, 03:06 AM
I've heard the Spurs are gonna be too rusty, but to me rest is better for them than playing a back to back. Regardless, I've got a good feeling about this one. Don't know if we're g2 win, but the Silver and Black are gonna bring it!

BatManu
12-03-2009, 08:27 AM
Pounding the Rock Preview (http://www.poundingtherock.com/2009/12/3/1177037/game-preview-16-boston-celtics-san)

Spurs of the Moment Preview (http://spursofthemoment.com/2009/12/02/spurs-vs-celtics-preview/)

Spursmania
12-03-2009, 08:29 AM
i do too, but mainly because i think they had too long of a break, but maybe they can play that to their advantage.

i have tickets and really want to go, but i have to be at work til 8, i'm debating just risking unemployement or going speeding to halftime.

Go at halftime. It's on national TV so the commericals will be longer. Don't risk your job:lol

Xevious
12-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Bring on the C's! :flag:

I don't work tonight, and wifey and the kids will be out of the house. So I'll be enjoying a few cold drinks, some greasy food, and the spurs on HD.

Robinson#1
12-03-2009, 09:56 AM
This should be one of the better games of the season, even though it is early on. KG v. TD is always a good match up. Timmy D is always strong v. KG. One of the best early matchups of the season

SpurCharger
12-03-2009, 10:33 AM
As Long As They Are Competitive, and Show Improvement Ill be Happy whether They Win Or lose..... Go SPURS!

shelshor
12-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Referee Assignments
Thurs. Dec 3
Boston @ San Antonio: Dick Bavetta; Bennie Adams; Marc Davis

BatManu
12-03-2009, 11:48 AM
not as bad as joey crawford

duncan228
12-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Celtics Face Spurs in San Antonio in Interconference Clash of Titans (http://www.nesn.com/2009/12/celtics-face-spurs-in-san-antonio-in-interconference-clash-of-titans.html)
by Evans Clinchy

Carrying a five-game winning streak into their showdown with Western Conference titan San Antonio, the Celtics have good reason to feel confident about Thursday night. The only problem? The Spurs have also won five straight, including a gutty win over in-state rival Houston on the road. Someone's streak will end at the AT&T Center in San Antonio, and Doc Rivers' Celtics are determined for it not to be them. A whole lot of pride will be on the line in this one.

When and Where
Thursday, Dec. 3, 8 p.m. ET (TNT)
AT&T Center, San Antonio, Texas

Records
Celtics (14-4, First place in Atlantic Division)
Spurs (9-6, Second place in Southwest Division)

Head to Head

The Spurs are famous for making the Celtics' lives hell for an entire decade. There's absolutely no Boston killer on the planet better than Tim Duncan. Between 1997 and 2007, the Spurs beat the C's 18 times in a row before the Celtics finally halted the streak on St. Patrick's Day in 2007. Since then, things have been looking up for the Celtics, who have now won four of their last five meetings with San Antonio. Included in those wins is the memorable one -- again on St. Patrick's Day, this time in 2008 -- in which the Celtics rallied from a 22-point deficit to win 93-91.

Skinny

On paper, the Spurs looked like one of the most improved teams in the league going into this season. After drafting DeJuan Blair and trading for Richard Jefferson this offseason, the Spurs were a trendy early pick to win the NBA Finals, but after Gregg Popovich's squad started the season at 4-6, the buzz started to go sour. Still, like any team led by Duncan and Popovich, this Spurs team will only get better as the season goes on.

Starting Lineups

Celtics
Point guard: Rajon Rondo
Shooting guard: Ray Allen
Small forward: Paul Pierce
Power forward: Kevin Garnett
Center: Kendrick Perkins

Spurs
Point guard: Tony Parker
Shooting guard: Keith Bogans
Small forward: Richard Jefferson
Power forward: Tim Duncan
Center: Antonio McDyess

Stat Sheet

Celtics
The Celtics are 7-1 on the road this season.

Ray Allen is 94.4 percent from the free-throw line, best in the NBA.

Rajon Rondo leads the league with 44 steals.

Kendrick Perkins is fifth in the NBA with 36 blocks.

Paul Pierce leads the Celtics with 19.1 points per game.

Kevin Garnett is averaging 12.8 points and 8.6 rebounds per game on the road this season.

Spurs
The Spurs are 4-1 this season against Eastern Conference opponents.

Tim Duncan is fifth in the NBA with 2.0 blocks per game.

Richard Jefferson is averaging 13.9 points per game, his lowest offensive output since his 2001-02 rookie season with the New Jersey Nets.

Tony Parker leads the Spurs with 6.8 assists per game.

Manu Ginobili is averaging 14.6 points, 3.4 rebounds and 3.0 assists in his career against the Celtics.

Antonio McDyess averages 10.6 points and 7.6 boards against them.

Black and Blue

Celtics
Glen Davis is nearing his return from a broken thumb.

Tony Allen, who has been out since October with a right ankle injury, is nearing a return as well but is not currently traveling with the team. The team is aiming for a Dec. 8 return against the Milwaukee Bucks.

Spurs
Roger Mason is probable with a strained left hamstring.

Manu Ginobili missed five games in November with a strained left groin.

Tony Parker has battled minor ankle injuries this season.

This Date in Celtics History

In 2008, the Celtics win their 10th consecutive game, beating the Pacers at home 114-96 behind 31 points from Ray Allen. The streak eventually reaches 19 games, a franchise record, before being snapped by the Lakers on Christmas Day.

Overheard

"Physically, I feel really, really good. But you all have no idea of the [stuff] I go through to come in here and be Grade B, Grade A. So I’m a work in progress. I don’t even think twice about my leg. There’s nothing about this game I second-guess. As a basketball player you have to react. When I am reacting and [stuff] flows, I’m a better player like that. I’m trying to find timing in what Doc wants and making it come together."
--Kevin Garnett in Tuesday's Boston Globe

The Press Box

Celtics
Kendrick Perkins is front and center (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2009/12/03/hes_front_and_center/).

Perk impresses an old fan (http://bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/20091203kendrick_perkins_wows_one_of_his_chief_fan s/).

Kevin Garnett has come on strong (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2009/12/01/timely_return/).

Spurs
The Spurs were too strong (http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/sports/20091130_Spurs_too_strong_for_slumping_Sixers.html ) for the Sixers.

Antonio McDyess faces a former teammate (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/78394392.html).

Tony Parker discusses Eva Longoria and other secret weapons (http://www.examiner.com/x-30789-San-Antonio-Headlines-Examiner~y2009m12d2-San-Antonio-Spurs-Tony-Parker-discusses-Eva-Longoria-and-his-secrets-of-success).

Outlook

When two teams this good take the floor, it's a shame that one of them has to lose. It's a battle of two smart, defensively oriented, unselfish basketball teams, led by two smart, defensively oriented, unselfish leaders in Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett. It doesn't get much more evenly matched than this -- you can say the Spurs have a slight edge being at home, but if we've learned anything about these Celtics, it's that they can win anywhere. This is anyone's game.

duncan228
12-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Celtics, Spurs collide in Alamo City (http://www.krgv.com/sports/nba/san/story/Celtics-Spurs-collide-in-Alamo-City/N5N1Q84qtkO-Cc3FdKHmJw.cspx)

In a possible preview of the NBA Finals, the Boston Celtics will pay a visit to the San Antonio Spurs tonight at the AT&T Center.

Both teams are riding five-game winning streaks, while the Atlantic Division- leading Celtics own a 14-4 mark and will continue a four-game road trip tonight. Boston has won the first two tests of the swing and is coming off Tuesday's 108-90 victory at Charlotte thanks to 27 points from sharp-shooting veteran Ray Allen.

Kendrick Perkins recorded 21 points and 12 rebounds, Kevin Garnett notched 16 points and seven boards and Eddie House finished with 12 points for the Celtics, who are 7-1 away from Beantown this season and will also visit the Oklahoma City Thunder on the trek.

"We use each other and play simple basketball," said Allen. "We have a lot of talent in a lot of positions, so we don't need to recreate the wheel or make the big play."

Paul Pierce was only 3-of-8 from the floor for a season-low eight points. The Celtics are unbeaten in their last three road tilts.

San Antonio, meanwhile, registered its fifth consecutive victory with Sunday's 97-89 decision over the Philadelphia 76ers in the opener of a three-game homestand. Tim Duncan had 22 points, six rebounds and five assists, while Tony Parker and Matt Bonner each added 16 points for San Antonio, which will also host the Denver Nuggets and are 8-2 at home this season.

DeJuan Blair had 11 points and 10 rebounds in the victory. Spurs reserve guard Manu Ginobili made his return to the lineup after missing the last five games due to a strained left groin, and chipped in eight points.

"I didn't want to push it too much, especially in the first half," Ginobili said. "Then in the second half, I felt better but I really didn't want to push it. I just want to play."

The Spurs have won four in a row at the AT&T Center.

Both teams split a pair of meetings last season, with each club winning on the road. Boston has won four of the last five matchups in the series, but the Spurs own a 19-4 mark in the past 23 encounters. The Celtics have won three in a row after losing their previous 15 trips to the Alamo City.

VBM
12-03-2009, 12:48 PM
As Long As They Are Competitive, and Show Improvement Ill be Happy whether They Win Or lose..... Go SPURS!

Are we rooting for the Charlotte Bobcats now? The Thunder? A team with Timmy, Tony, Manu, RJ should hope to be just more than "competitive."

Velo
12-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Are we rooting for the Charlotte Bobcats now? The Thunder? A team with Timmy, Tony, Manu, RJ should hope to be just more than "competitive."

I take it if we don't win tonight we'll find your obituary in the E-N tomorrow?:rolleyes

If they stick with the Celts and show they can compete, I'll be satisfied. The wins will come later.
*Clutches a can of SPAM*

VBM
12-03-2009, 03:20 PM
I take it if we don't win tonight we'll find your obituary in the E-N tomorrow?:rolleyes

If they stick with the Celts and show they can compete, I'll be satisfied. The wins will come later.
*Clutches a can of SPAM*

Won't find me in an obit, but you won't find me doing the happy dance if we lost by 10 at home either. We act like we're the only team dealing with new pieces. Boston's adjusting to having Wallace on the squad, Garnett back in the lineup after last season, the loss of Big Baby, etc.

duncan228
12-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Celtics-Spurs Preview (http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2009/12/03/celtics-spurs-preview/)
By Ian Tasso

After nailing down their fifth straight win on Tuesday night, a 108-90 thumping of the Charlotte Bobcats, it appears the Boston Celtics (14-4) might be regaining their swagger.

Meanwhile, a certain team in San Antonio (9-6) might be hitting its own stride. After making a splash this summer by trading for former New Jersey Nets star Richard Jefferson (career 17.6 ppg), it appeared the Spurs positioning themselves to contend for another NBA title. But after a three-game skid dropped their season record to 4-6, questions began to surface about age, chemistry and hunger for winning.

So much for that.

Five straight victories for San Antonio and they’re right back in the title talks. That being said, the black and silver has been beating up mostly on second-tier teams; their game Thursday night against the Celtics will be another matter.

Both teams teams have been hot of late, and neither is a stranger to the NBA spotlight. The Celtics dominated the league in 2007 en route to their 17th NBA Championship, meanwhile seemingly every year the Spurs are on the brink of grabbing one of their own, including winning four titles in the past 10 years.

Tonight’s 8 p.m. clash has just about everything: the names, the legacy, and the anticipation. But how does everything else pan out? Let’s take a look:

Recent Performance

On A Roll – Both teams come in winners of five straight, though neither streaks have been star studded. Aside from Boston’s 92-85 win on Sunday over the 10-5 Miami Heat, none of the Celtic’s past five victories have come against opponents above .500. In fact, before taking down the Heat, the last time the Celtics beat a team with more notches in the win column than the loss column was back on Nov. 11, a 105-96 win over the now 10-7 Utah Jazz.

Similarly, San Antonio has benefited from a rather smooth stretch in their schedule, helping them get back on track after losing three straight in mid-November. The only above .500 team in the Spurs’ past five wins? The 10-8 Houston Rockets, whom San Antonio disposed of 92-84 back on November 27. But you’d have to travel all the way back to that same Nov. 11 to find the last time the Spurs beat an above .500 team prior to the Rockets, a 92-83 win over the Dallas Mavericks.

Head to Head

Strangely Familiar – They may not meet that often, but when they do, chances are it’ll be memorable. Boston and San Antonio have yet to collide this season, but last year they met two times - as they do every season – and both games were spectacular. The Spurs took the first game, a 105-99 nail-biter that had San Antonio taking the lead with 20.4 seconds left off a Roger Mason three, stunning a packed house at the Garden. The second game, however, was taken by the Celtics in an equally exciting matchup, an 80-77 victory at the AT&T Center in Texas. Kendrick Perkins netted the game-winner for the Celtics, who escaped San Antonio with KG on the bench for the entire fourth quarter - in part thanks to the Spurs’ six consecutive free-throw misses to close out the game.

Boston swept the two-game series in 2007-08, but the two split again back in 2006-07 with both teams winning their home matchups.

Scouting Report

Defense Wins Championships – It’s no secret to anyone in the NBA how the Spurs run their team: a combination of stout defense and scoring mainly from anyone on the floor named Duncan, Parker or Ginobli. But the addition of Richard Jefferson this season has helped alter that perception a little, giving the Spurs a potent fourth option when it comes to putting the ball in the net. So far in 2009, Jefferson has averaged a solid 13.5 points a game, a nice complement to point guard Tony Parker (16.5) in the absence of guard Manu Ginobli (groin injury). But regardless of how much or how little Jefferson steps up, the Spurs are still the same old Spurs, and they live and die by perennial All-Star forward and team-leader, Tim Duncan.

As a result, the most exciting matchup within the Spurs-Celtics rivalry is as it has been for the past three seasons – Tim Duncan vs. Kevin Garnett. Seeing those two do battle in the paint is like watching history collide. Whenever two NBA greats the likes of Garnett and Duncan meet on the hardwood, it’s bound to be exciting, particularly considering that the two play the same position and will literally be matching up head-to-head.

Key Statistic

.833 – After posting a very less-than-Allen .259% from beyond the arc in his past six games, Ray Allen heated up in a big way in the Celtics win over the Bobcats. Allen nailed five of six shots from three-point range on Tuesday night, was a perfect 10-10 from the free throw line and finished the night with a game-high 27 points. The Celtics would like that hot shooting to carry over to tonight’s game against a tough defensive squad in the San Antonio Spurs, who are surrendering 96.5 points a game, 10th in the NBA.

3/4 – the amount of major statistical categories in which Tim Duncan leads the Spurs, furthering the notion that the black and silver go as No. 21 goes. So far in 2009, Duncan leads San Antonio with 18.5 points per game, 10.8 rebounds and an intimidating 2.00 blocks per contest. He even ranks third on the team in assists with 3.7, a rarity for a power forward with the size of Duncan.

Health/Injuries

The Ginobli We All Know and Love – He’s back on the injured list – again. Oh wait, never mind, he’s off. Wait, no, he’s back on. Okay, forget it – he’s off it now. Ginobli finally returned to the Spurs lineup on Sunday, a 97-89 win over the 76ers that had the Spurs’ star bench-player contribute 17 minutes on the court, netting only eight points and grabbing three rebounds. Obviously a sub-par game for Ginobli, who is averaging 13.5 points a game in ’09, but it’s apparent he doesn’t have his sea legs back yet after injuring his groin in the Spurs’ loss to the Jazz back on Nov. 19. Since then, the injury has kept the Argentinean born guard out for five-straight games until returning on Sunday. He’s only appeared in 10 games this season, and may not be at full-strength tonight against the Celtics, something that will undoubtedly hurt the Spurs both on the offensive and defensive ends.

On the other hand, San Antonio’s backup guard, Roger Mason (7.1), who was a thorn in the Celtics’ side last season, may be cleared to play Thursday night. The Spurs’ off-the-bench hot shooter has been dealing with a hamstring injury that held him off the court in Sunday’s win over the 76ers, but he is expected to be available for Thursday night’s clash with the Green. In his last two games before injuring the hamstring, Mason posted a combined 28 points, shooting a torrid 66.7 percent from the field.

Nothing new for the Celtics on the injury front, as the usuals — Glen “Big Baby” Davis” and Tony Allen — will be sidelined for tonight’s matchup. News for Tony Allen is that the Celtics will be without the 6-foot-4-inch shooting guard for the entirety of their four game road-trip, and he will be re-evaluated when the club returns to Boston.

Quotable

Big Four? - “Those situations were created by that little guy. He was excellent tonight, really. … I thought he controlled this game as well as anybody and I don’t know if his stat line is really as indicative of how much impact he had on this game.” - Heat coach Erik Spoelstra on Celtics’ point guard Rajon Rondo after Sunday’s game.

He’s no longer a secret in the NBA. Rajon Rondo continues to improve daily, and the Celtics have all the confidence in the world in him, evident in his new five-year, $55 million contract. It will be another tough night for the point guard however, as he goes toe-to-toe with perennial All-Star Tony Parker, who is averaging 16.5 points a game this season. It’s apparent that a lot of this game hinges on Garnett vs. Duncan – but make no mistake about it, it will be no small battle at the point.

duncan228
12-03-2009, 05:16 PM
5 Game Win Streaks on the Line as Celtics visit Spurs (http://www.celticslife.com/2009/12/5-game-win-streaks-on-line-as-celtics.html)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b58/FLCeltsFan12/CelticsChampionshipRing.jpg

at

http://www.spursdynasty.com/uploaded_images/2005%20championship%20ring%202-733734.jpg

The Spurs got off to a slow start, losing 6 of their first 10 games but have righted the ship and, like the Celtics, have won their last 5 games. One of these teams will get their sixth straight victory, while stopping the other's win streak at 5.

Like the Celtics, the Spurs are subject to speculation that their team is too old. Both teams have some nice young players, and both teams have stars that are getting up in age. The average age of the Celtics is 27.9 while the average age of the Spurs is 28.7. McDyess is 35, Duncan is 33, and Jefferson is 29 while KG is 33, Pierce is 32 and Ray is 34.

The Spurs have been off since Sunday, while the Celtics played on Tuesday and are playing in the 3rd game of a 4 game road trip. For some teams, a layoff of 3 days is enough for them to show some rust to begin the game and for other teams, it is enough for them to come out well rested and on fire. The Spurs are a veteran team that should come out focused and so the Celtics need to match that focus and get off to a good start. If they dig a hole in the first quarter, they will find that is isn't easy to come back against a defensive minded team like the Spurs.

In their last game, the Celtics ended the Bobcats' 4 game win streak and hopefully they will do the same for the Spurs 5 game win streak.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/.element/img/2.0/sect/basketball/nba/teampages/toppers/celtics_514x96.jpg

Coach: Doc Rivers
Average Age: 27.9
Average Height: 6-6
Average Weight: 224

Probable Starters

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/65x90/4149.jpghttp://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/9.jpghttp://assets.espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/65x90/3253.jpghttp://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/261.jpghttp://assets.espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/65x90/3730.jpg

Rajon Rondo/Ray Allen/Paul Pierce/Kevin Garnett/Kendrick Perkins

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/.element/img/2.0/sect/basketball/nba/teampages/toppers/spurs_514x96.jpg

Coach: Gregg Popovich
Average Age: 28.7
Average Height: 6-7
Average Weight: 224

Probable Starters

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/1015.jpghttp://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/1995.jpghttp://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/1006.jpghttp://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/215.jpghttp://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/530.jpg

Tony Parker/Keith Bogans/Richard Jefferson/Tim Duncan/Antonio McDyess

Key Matchups

http://www.nba.com/media/act_rajon_rondo.jpgvshttp://www.nba.com/media/act_tony_parker.jpg

Rajon Rondo vs Tony Parker

Rondo has been compared to Parker at times and this matchup will be a big challenge for both players. When Rondo is aggressive and focused, he can pretty much take on any point guard in the league, including Parker. Rondo usually gets up for big games and this is a big one.

http://www.nba.com/media/act_kevin_garnett.jpgvshttp://www.nba.com/media/act_tim_duncan.jpg

Kevin Garnett vs Tim Duncan

This is a matchup of the two best power forwards in the league. KG is playing very well so far on this trip and should continue that trend in this game although Duncan's defense could slow him down. Duncan is also playing at a high level, averaging 18.5 points, 10.8 rebounds and 2 blocks for the season. This should be a battle and a fun one to watch at that.

Honorable Mention

Kendrick Perkins vs Antonio McDyess

Perk has been tearing it up on both ends of the court recently. He should have the advantage against McDyess and I expect another big night from him.

Keys to the Game

Defense - The Celtics appear to have returned to their defensive form that we saw in the first 5 games. They need to continue to play the swarming team defense that we have come to know and love.

Focus

The Celtics problems during their mini slump earlier were due to a lack of focus. They need to come out focused and stay focused for 48 minutes. This game won't be easy, but if they focus like they have in their past 2 games, they will give themselves to get another road win.

Rebound The Spurs are a good rebounding team and the Celtics need to concentrate on crashing the boards. Tony Parker is very good at running the break when the Spurs get defensive rebounds and Duncan is one of the best at putting back offensive rebounds. By dominating the boards, the Celtics can prevent both from happening.

Run the Offense In recent games we have seen the Celtics return to the ball movement that makes them so tough to guard. They also have to continue to take the ball inside rather than just depend on jumpers.

duncan228
12-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Sports Betting - Boston Celtics at San Antonio Spurs Odds (http://www.vegassports-odds.com/200912031744/nba/headlines/sports-betting-boston-celtics-at-san-antonio-spurs-odds)
by Brock Lanning

http://www.vegassports-odds.com/images/stories/tim-duncan-kg.jpg

Two of the hottest teams in sports betting meet in a Thursday night TNT basketball game at 8:00pm EST as the San Antonio Spurs host the Boston Celtics. Both teams have won five straight in NBA odds although most of the Spurs success has come at home. The Spurs have been riding Tim Duncan lately as he is averaging 20.6 points and 9.8 rebounds per game during the winning streak. The Spurs are 1-point favorites against the Celtics in NBA sports betting odds with a total of 187.5 at online sportsbooks.

San Antonio is also playing excellent defense of late as they are allowing just 91.8 points per game during the five game winning streak in NBA odds. "We really shouldn't care that much about winning five in a row," said Manu Ginobili, "It's always good. It helps your confidence, and of course your standings, but we still believe we've got a long way to go." The Spurs have won five straight games in sports betting odds but the level of competition has been weak. That is going to change starting with tonight’s game against Boston. They also have games against Denver and Utah coming up. Bet the Spurs -1 as home favorites in NBA odds against the Boston Celtics for the first game on Thursday night TNT basketball.

Boston is in the midst of a four-game road trip. They routed Charlotte on Tuesday 108-90 as 4-point favorites in sports betting odds as Ray Allen scored 27 points. The Celtics are averaging 107.2 points per game during the winning streak. Last season the Celtics and Spurs split their two meetings with the road team winning each game. Boston has won three straight overall at San Antonio. The Celtics are 14-5 vs. the NBA odds in their last 19 games vs. the Southwest. The Celtics are 46-19-1 ATS in their last 66 games as a road underdog. The Celtics are 4-9 ATS in their last 13 games overall. Bet the Celtics +1 as underdogs in NBA betting odds against San Antonio on TNT basketball at 8:00pm EST.

The Celtics are 5-1 ATS in the last 6 meetings between the two teams. The road team is 4-1 ATS in the last 5 meetings and the underdog is 6-0 in NBA sports betting for the last 6 meetings. The Spurs are 4-1 in their last 5 games overall. The Spurs are 7-3 ATS in their last 10 home games. The Spurs are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 vs. the Atlantic. The Over in NBA betting odds is 4-1 in the Celtics last 5 overall. The Under is 5-2 in the Celtics last 7 vs. the Western Conference. The Over is 11-3 in the Spurs last 14 games as a sports betting home favorite. The Under is 5-2 in the Spurs last 7 overall.

Lanning's NBA Picks: With only two games on the TNT basketball schedule, the Celtics vs. Spurs match-up will be the most entertaining. Both teams are playing great basketball and have positive betting trends heading into tonight's game. Although the Celtics defeated the Bobcats pretty easily, they will not have such an easy time against the Spurs and are still on the road. My NBA pick for tonight's game on TNT basketball, will be to take the Spurs at home laying the points to the UNDER in a 2-team parlay at Bodog so I can get some free casino chips! Vegas odds at the MGM Mirage sportsbook have the Spurs -1.5 favorites in NBA odds against the Celtics with a total of 187.5 OVER -115.

duncan228
12-03-2009, 07:31 PM
NBA Game of the Night – Boston Celtics vs. San Antonio Spurs (-1.5) (http://www.betus.com/sports-betting/nba-basketball/articles/nba-game-of-the-night-boston-celtics-vs-san-antonio-spurs/)
by Eric Williams

NBA Expert Picks – Celtics Have a Date with the Spurs
Celtics (+1˝) vs. Spurs (-1˝)
(O/U) 187˝

Someone’s five-game winning streak is coming to an end tonight.

That’s right hoops heads, two of the top title contending teams in the league will go at it when the Boston Celtics (14-4 SU, 8-10 ATS, 9-9 O/U) and San Antonio Spurs (9-6 SU, 8-7 ATS, 7-8 O/U) battle at the AT&T Center tonight at 7 PM ET in a game I will be in attendance for.

Let’s get the scoop on both ballclubs coming into this matchup before I thrown down my NBA expert picks on the outcome of this highly-anticipated contest.

411 on the Celtics

• Celtics are 4-0-1 ATS in their last 5 games as a road underdog of 0.5-4.5.
• Celtics are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
• Celtics are 14-5 ATS in their last 19 vs. NBA Southwest.

Boston has looked very good over their last three games, including their convincing 108-90 spanking of the Charlotte Bobcats on Tuesday night.

Ray Allen broke out of a mini shooting slump to score a team-high 27 points and help Boston cover the NBA moneyline for the third consecutive game, this time as 4-point road favorites.

The Celtics are averaging a respectable 100.3 points per game (15th) but have been outstanding on defense again this season, ranking second in points allowed (91.2 ppg).

411 on the Spurs

• Spurs are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games overall.
• Spurs are 7-3 ATS in their last 10 home games.
• Spurs are 2-8 ATS in their last 10 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.

The Spurs have won five consecutive games following an absolutely rocky start that had the team sitting at 4-5 before its current winning streak began.

San Antonio defeated the Philadelphia 76ers 97-89 on Sunday but had its four-game ATS winning streak snapped in the win as they failed to cover the NBA moneyline as an 11.5-point home favorite.

Tim Duncan scored a game-high 22 points while Tony Parker added 16 points and eight assists.

The Spurs are ranked 12th in scoring, averaging 101.1 points per contest and 10th in points allowed per game (96.5 ppg).

Analysis: While the San Antonio Spurs are starting to get their act together, I remain skeptical until I see them beat someone of significance.

The Spurs five consecutive wins have all come over mediocre ballclubs, so it should be interesting to see how they come out against the powerful Celtics in this one.

With Boston going a red-hot 5-1 ATS in the last six meetings against the Spurs and the road team in this rivalry going a consistent 4-1 ATS in the last five meetings between these two teams, the key trends seem to suggest a Celtics win and cover tonight.

I do like the Celtics to win this game outright and serve notice to the L.A. Lakers that they are likely headed for a collision course in the finals.

The Celtics have gone a terrific 4-0-1 ATS in their last five games as a road underdog 4.5 points or less while San Antonio has struggled mightily to cover the NBA moneyline against good teams when they play at home.

The Spurs are just 2-8 ATS in their last 10 home games versus a team with a winning road record and I think this will be a huge factor in Boston’s ability to win this ballgame.

I also like Boston’s 14-5 ATS mark in their last 19 games against NBA Southwest Division teams and the fact that the underdog in this rivalry has gone a perfect 6-0 ATS in the last six meetings between these two teams.

I like the C’s to cover the NBA moneyline in a nail-biter diehard pro basketball bettors.

NBA Free Picks: Celtics +1˝ Points

draft87
12-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Way, waaaay TMI.

haha

"Just swish the ball, don't even mess around with the rim....just get your legs in the air and be consistent.”

BillMc
12-03-2009, 07:44 PM
"The Spurs are just 2-8 ATS in their last 10 home games versus a team with a winning road record and I think this will be a huge factor in Boston’s ability to win this ballgame. "

This will not be "a factor" at all. It is a past result. No one on the Spurs will lose this game because they were 2-8 ATS in their last 10 home games versus a team with a winning road record. It may be indicative of problems with the Spurs that will be factors, but the past result itself has no outcome on the game.

For my money, we win tonight.:flag:

DesignatedT
12-03-2009, 07:56 PM
damnit... we have to listen to reggie miller. that guy is horrible. bring back kerr!