PDA

View Full Version : Susan Boyle's debut album crushing records

averageusaconsumer
12-02-2009, 04:57 PM
:wow:wow:greedy:greedy

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/12/02/susan.boyle.album/t1larg.susan.boy.gi.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/12/02/susan.boyle.album/index.html

(CNN) -- Susan Boyle's dreams continue to come true. The singing sensation who emerged from obscurity on "Britain's Got Talent" is topping the charts, selling the most albums of any artist in a single week this year with the largest ever sales debut for a female artist.

Boyle's "I Dreamed a Dream" album is on top of the Billboard 200 albums chart with 701,000 copies sold in its first week, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

"This is a big deal considering some of the superstar acts that came out this year that couldn't get to that number, said Billboard's director of charts Silvio Pietroluongo. The year's previous high-water sales mark came when Eminem's "Relapse" sold 608,000 in its opening week.

Boyle, a 48-year-old churchgoing celebrity who lives in a modest government-owned home in Scotland with her pet cat, captured the world's attention and hearts eight months ago when she performed on the British talent competition.

Now Boyle is competing against two "American Idols" for sales this holiday season. Idol runner-up Adam Lambert's debut "For Your Entertainment" is at No. 3 on the Billboard 200, and "Idol" champ Kris Allen is at No. 11.

When it comes to album sales, Boyle is even fiercer than Rihanna, whose fourth album, "Rated R," is in the No. 4 slot on the charts with 181,000 albums sold during the first week.

Boyle's large album sales reflect larger changes happening in the music industry as younger audiences tend to buy single-song downloads, while more mature audiences, who make up Boyle's fan base, still purchase entire albums.

"Hit-driven artists tend to do well on the download side but aren't moving as many albums as they once did," Pietroluongo said. "If you have an artist who resonates with an older audience, you have an artist who can sell more albums."

Trainwreck2100
12-02-2009, 05:01 PM
did she sit on them?

clambake
12-02-2009, 05:06 PM
looks like crookshanks.

Crookshanks
12-02-2009, 05:29 PM
looks like crookshanks.
Hey - where did that come from? I look nothing like Susan Boyle - but boy do I wish I could sing like her! However, I'm one of the reasons she's breaking records because I pre-ordered her album a few weeks ago.

Scola
12-02-2009, 05:32 PM
I don't watch tv anymore except for the occasional spurs game...whats the deal with this lady?
Did she win some type of British talent contest? Is that why has she become so popular?

Cry Havoc
12-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Pirates are ruining the music industry and driving sales down!

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Trying to figure out who she looks like in this pic. Uncle Buck?

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20091201/capt.5b1fc9fcb3d04d0eafbd550242d50d82.britain_boyl e__lon803.jpg?x=228&y=345&q=85&sig=E7Nr2sSa2BXcc.Yg52CdJA--

Crookshanks
12-02-2009, 05:42 PM
I don't watch tv anymore except for the occasional spurs game...whats the deal with this lady?
Did she win some type of British talent contest? Is that why has she become so popular?

She came in 2nd on Britain's Got Talent. Look her up on YouTube and find the clip of her audition. It will blow you away. Brings me to tears every time I watch it. Everyone (including Simon Cowell) thought she was a nutty old spinster - until she opened her mouth and started to sing. Then their mouths hit the floor! :wow

David Bowie
12-02-2009, 05:48 PM
I hope she's finally getting layed with her now being famous and all.

marini martini
12-02-2009, 05:51 PM
I hope she's finally getting layed with her now being famous and all.

:lol

Well looks like you'll be getting a chunk of coal for Christmas.

Cry Havoc
12-02-2009, 06:25 PM
She came in 2nd on Britain's Got Talent. Look her up on YouTube and find the clip of her audition. It will blow you away. Brings me to tears every time I watch it. Everyone (including Simon Cowell) thought she was a nutty old spinster - until she opened her mouth and started to sing. Then their mouths hit the floor! :wow

You do realize that it was a complete set up, do you not? They don't just let random people walk on TV and sing.

Crookshanks
12-02-2009, 06:31 PM
You do realize that it was a complete set up, do you not? They don't just let random people walk on TV and sing.
No, I don't believe it was a set-up. Britain's Got Talent is a little different than American Idol. They don't have all those auditions all over the country. When she sang that night, it was the first time anyone associated with the show had heard her. And there's no way Piers and Amanda and Simon could've faked those reactions.

Crookshanks
12-02-2009, 10:36 PM
I got the album in the mail today and listened to it tonight. It's good - especially the song called "Who I Was Born To Be". Very fitting considering her life story.

phyzik
12-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Good for her. Alot of her fame is mainly because she just doesnt look the part at all to have that type of voice.

Trainwreck2100
12-02-2009, 11:27 PM
No, I don't believe it was a set-up. Britain's Got Talent is a little different than American Idol. They don't have all those auditions all over the country. When she sang that night, it was the first time anyone associated with the show had heard her. And there's no way Piers and Amanda and Simon could've faked those reactions.

they have to go through screeners, before the go on stage, there's no way cowell didn't know. That look he gave was the cash register sounds going off in his head

Cant_Be_Faded
12-03-2009, 12:57 AM
Most albums sold in one week since Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle in 1993

MiamiHeat
12-03-2009, 06:17 AM
In an unprecedented turn of events

a physically unattractive, really unattractive, woman shoots to fame and glory... because she is physically unattractive and the world is in the mood to root for underdogs, the next feel good moment.

xtremesteven33
12-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Id still hit it :hat

Cry Havoc
12-03-2009, 01:22 PM

The real world doesn't care what you believe.

It's a set-up. People can fake a lot of anything if they hear the sound of more money flooding their bank accounts.

Deal with reality.

Cry Havoc
12-03-2009, 01:24 PM
yVU4IkzMNIo

Simon just magically knew that he could sing Michael Jackson.

J.T.
12-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Reminds me of that one season of American Idol where six people in the "Top 12" had pre-Idol recording deals.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-03-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm happy for her. She has an amazing talent. No matter what she looks like. No way her sales were faked. Plus who cares if it was. Pretty stupid and over dramatic. Then again, look at the source.

Soul_Patch
12-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Les Miserable has probably one of the best soundtracks hands down. The song she sang is absolutely moving, the fact she sang it so well is even better.

lil'mo
12-03-2009, 03:18 PM
She's a beautiful woman.

Crookshanks
12-03-2009, 03:30 PM
I've done a google search and there seems to be no definitive answer on whether or not Simon knew about Susan's talent before she sang that night. Most likely, the producers of the show knew because they have to whittle down the acts.

But really - who cares if it was staged? The audience was certainly surprised, as were the millions who watched the YouTube clip. She definitely has talent and I hope she continues to be a great success. Cynics - believe what you want and leave the rest of us alone.

lefty
12-03-2009, 04:05 PM
She's a beautiful woman.
The Cow or Susan Boyle?

Spurminator
12-03-2009, 04:16 PM
So old people DO still buy music.