PDA

View Full Version : Landry or Aldridge...who do you take?

robbie380
12-02-2009, 06:12 PM
i ask this question because landry as actually starting tonight for the first time and should get starter minutes.

Aldridge

33 mpg
15 ppg w/ 48% FG% and 82.8% FT%
7.5 rpg
1.7 apg
.5 bpg
.4 spg
1.0 to/g

Landry

25.5 mpg
15.9 ppg w/ 55.6% FG% and 89.6% FT%
5.8 rpg
.5 apg
.8 bpg
.5 spg
1.3 to/g

monosylab1k
12-02-2009, 06:15 PM
I still LOL when I think about how Allanon would claim that a jump shooting, weak rebounding, soft defensive player like Aldridge is the closest young player in the NBA to Tim Duncan.

robbie380
12-02-2009, 06:16 PM
wow fucking poll won't let me post more than 1 choice. that is garbage.

Xylus
12-02-2009, 06:17 PM
They both rebound better than Amare, so I'd be happy with either.

Allanon
12-02-2009, 06:19 PM
I still LOL when I think about how Allanon would claim that a jump shooting, weak rebounding, soft defensive player like Aldridge is the closest young player in the NBA to Tim Duncan.

I still don't think there's any player more like Duncan than LMA.

I've heard Al Jefferson but I disagree...Al's more brute than finesse.

robbie380
12-02-2009, 06:22 PM

yeah if you take away duncan's post game, rebounding, passing, and defense they are almost the same :lol

Allanon
12-02-2009, 06:22 PM
yeah if you take away duncan's post game, rebounding, passing, and defense they are almost the same :lol

If not LMA, then who?

Xylus
12-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Chris Kaman

Red Hawk #21
12-02-2009, 06:24 PM

Remember when he said Anthony Randolph was as good as he was ever gunna get? :rollin

Allanon
12-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Remember when he said Anthony Randolph was as good as he was ever gunna get? :rollin

Anthony is still a role player this year. So I'm still waiting to be wrong...it sure won't be this year :lol

And I don't get any props for being right about Derrick Rose? For shame guys.

sonic21
12-02-2009, 06:25 PM
LMA is as soft as Sasha.

robbie380
12-02-2009, 06:51 PM
If not LMA, then who?

can't really think of anyone like duncan in the league right now. boozer is probably a closer player to duncan than aldridge. he is nothing really like him but i think it's closer.

Allanon
12-02-2009, 06:57 PM
can't really think of anyone like duncan in the league right now. boozer is probably a closer player to duncan than aldridge. he is nothing really like him but i think it's closer.

Boozer's more of a brute than a skill player like Duncan and LMA.

I still think LMA will become more Duncan like. His post skills are improving and so is his rebounding.

JamStone
I'd take Aldridge over Landry but it's probably closer than what most people would have thought before this year. Aldridge is still one of the main guys on offense for the Blazers and defenses gameplan for him. Even with all of the Rockets injuries, Carl Landry is still at best a third or fourth option who still often gets left open, and because he's a good offensive rebounder, a chunk of his points come from put-backs. And, at least before Scola went down, he has still been a bench player that gets a lot of minutes against second unit players. If the Rockets actually ran their offense around Landry, forcing teams to focus and gameplan around him, he might not be as effective.

As for being the closest thing to Duncan, there really aren't any young guys in the league like Duncan. That's why Duncan is so special. He's a once in a generation player at the PF/C position. The combination of size, skill, athleticism, and while being able to dominate the low block both offensively and defensively doesn't come by too often. That certainly isn't LaMarcus Aldridge. Heck, I'd say Marreese Speights is closer to Tim Duncan than Aldridge is, and Speights' potential isn't even anywhere near the same universe as Tim Duncan. But, that's how far Aldridge is from any legitimate comparison to Duncan. Speights is nowhere near, but still closer than Aldridge.

Allanon
This made me think about my player predictions; I've actually been pretty spot on with this:

List of guys I've been right about so far:
Marc Gasol
Derrick Rose
Anthony Randolph

List of guys I'll probably be right about:
Tyreke Evans
Brandon Jennings
Rajon Rondo
Darren Collison

May be wrong about:
LaMarcus Aldridge becoming the most Duncan like of current players

Guys I've been wrong about:
???

Lars
12-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Allanon's not really the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Allanon
12-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Lars is an asshole.

Indazone
12-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Still remembers when Landry came as a rookie to Summer League and was getting beat out by Mike Harris. Lot of people didn't think he'd make the team at all. Now look at him :D

Lars
12-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Don't take it personal, im just joshin you.

KSeal
12-02-2009, 10:52 PM
I'd take Landry for sure.

TIMMYD!
12-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Aldridge, he has a high ceiling.

KSeal
12-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Aldridge sucks, he hasn't improved in three years.

duhoh
12-02-2009, 10:56 PM
LMA is as soft as Sasha.

whoa whoa whoa whoa

let's not get ahead of ourselves. that's harsh :lol

duhoh
12-02-2009, 10:58 PM
If not LMA, then who?

that big fella on the worst team in the league this season [brook lopez] is more duncan than LMA IMO.

but LMA is on a team that can win, so moot point? :lol

SamoanTD
12-02-2009, 11:02 PM
LMA is not going to be the next duncan or even be close to duncan he is more like...... Big Z lol

z0sa
12-02-2009, 11:06 PM
This made me think about my player predictions; Guys I've been wrong about:

The list begins and ends there.

Allanon
12-02-2009, 11:07 PM
The list begins and ends there.

Yup, I haven't had a bad player prediction yet this year. Thanks for the props. :lol

Oh yeah, you reminded me, I can add Bynum to that list too.

What'd you say about Bynum last year, z0sa?

z0sa
12-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Yup, I haven't had a bad player prediction yet this year. Thanks for the props. :lol

It was your category, not mine.

Oh yeah, you reminded me, I can add Bynum to that list too.

What'd you say about Bynum last year, z0sa?

I said he'd be a solid player.

Why do you ask?

Allanon
12-02-2009, 11:23 PM
I said he'd be a solid player.

Why do you ask?

bynum has already peaked, so it doesnt matter.
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2542417&postcount=101

To quote the great Cullster, "just checking assholes" :lol

Kai
12-02-2009, 11:51 PM

:lmao

mystargtr34
12-03-2009, 09:10 AM
I think ive been one of the bigger anti-Aldridge people on here. Alot of people fell in love with him last season... right now he's still basically a 6'11" jump shooter without the ability to really put the ball on the floor that effectively. He doesnt rebound, play any sort of defense, or set up team mates. The best comparison for him is probably a quicker, more athletic version of Zydrunas Ilgauskas. Maybe David West, but he actually likes a bit of contact.

As for the asnwer to the question, between LaMarcus and Landry, i still take Aldridge, because hes pretty much 7 feet, and still has potential to develop into something alot more than what he is. If he can throw in some hook shots, up and unders, a drop step maybe... and grab some rebounds and block a few shots... he could turn into something - none of this is really that far fetched.

But as of their play right now, i think Landry is playing slightly better.

monosylab1k
12-03-2009, 09:53 AM
If not LMA, then who?

This has been answered before already. Brook Lopez.

mystargtr34
12-03-2009, 10:07 AM

Yea i dont see any of Tim in LMA...

I think Pau Gasol... but a combination of Brook Lopez and Al Jefferson would be pretty similar.

z0sa
12-03-2009, 10:15 AM

Do you always take quotes out of context? I was talking to the most delusional lakerfan of all, who also said things like Bynum at minimum had Timmy's ceiling.

You sure do talk a lot of shit for not being able to handle any sarcasm back.

Besides, that doesn't disqualify my previous post saying he's a solid player.

Allanon
12-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Do you always take quotes out of context? I was talking to the most delusional lakerfan of all, who also said things like Bynum at minimum had Timmy's ceiling.

You sure do talk a lot of shit for not being able to handle any sarcasm back.

Besides, that doesn't disqualify my previous post saying he's a solid player.

The point is you were wrong as usual. You spoke negatively about Bynum because of your obvious bias.

Thanks for playing z0sa.

Allanon
12-03-2009, 11:01 AM

I haven't seen enough of Brook Lopez to say yay or nay.

It's possible I suppose but too early for both of them to argue about.

z0sa
12-03-2009, 11:29 AM
The point is you were wrong as usual. You spoke negatively about Bynum because of your obvious bias.

Sarcasm.

wireonfire
12-03-2009, 11:43 AM

Brook Lopez?

Allanon
12-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Brook Lopez?

Perhaps, Mono also mentioned him.

I haven't watched Brook enough to see the resemblance, you guys probably watch more Nets games than I do. I'll have to pay more attention and if you guys are right, I'll give you props.

Unholy Turkey
12-06-2009, 12:11 AM
Maybe we'll find an answer today... Landry just scored on Aldridge.

robbie380
12-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Maybe we'll find an answer today... Landry just scored on Aldridge.

landry and scola both had good games last night. Landry was dominating the offensive glass in the clutch and scola had the go ahead jumper late. I wish we could get landry a few more minutes a night because he is really
coming on strong this year.

The Franchise
12-06-2009, 09:00 PM
I would take Landry, because a postup PF is usually more effective than a jumpshooter.

Chieflion
12-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Aldridge has more potential. Landry is good for an energy guy off the bench and Aldridge is still in a slump.