PDA

View Full Version : Sam Cooke

The Gemini Method
12-03-2009, 12:31 PM
I don't know how many of you SpursTalk posters are fans of him, but I thought it would be nice to have a thread about one of the better singers of yesteryear. I heard an hour-long show about him on KCRW during the Black Friday madness. Nothing can get me in a mellow mood like the unique voice of Mr. Cooke. It's a shame that he had to die like that before even finishing his mark upon the musical scene.

L1Fh5z4qPBs

CharlieMac
12-06-2009, 12:36 PM
I've had his station on Pandora on for a few weeks now. His use of Bring It On Home To Me during the intro to Ali was amazing.

Duff McCartney
12-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Great singer. I love him. Tragic that his life was cut short under dubious circumstances.

Regardless, he's great. I love his music. A Change Gonna Come is such a beautiful song..and even though I'm a devout atheist, I love listening to Jesus Gave Me Water and Touch The Hem of His Garment. I think they are great songs vocally.

Bender
12-06-2009, 09:00 PM
some of his songs were remade in the 1970s and became hits again. At the time I didn't know they were remakes. Wonderful World, and Cupid to name a couple.

I didn't even know who sam cooke was until earlier this year, when someone asked me if I had any of his stuff...

i'm not crazy about his early gospel stuff though.