PDA

View Full Version : AT&T dead last in Consumer Survey

angel_luv
12-03-2009, 02:27 PM
http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/60353

Respondents in the annual survey hammered AT&T in just about every category, from voice service to the frequency of dropped calls. The big winner: AT&T's nemesis, Verizon Wireless.

Covering about 50,000 wireless chatters in 26 major cities, the Consumer Reports survey had little in the way of good news for AT&T, which has been taking a shellacking in recent weeks from Verizon and its devilishly effective "There's a map for that" ad campaign.

According to AllThingsDigital, the exclusive iPhone carrier ranked lowest in overall consumer satisfaction in 19 of the 26 surveyed cities, ranging from New York and San Francisco to (as FierceWireless points out) Atlanta, Cleveland, and Houston. Verizon, meanwhile, ranked first in all 26 cities in the Consumer Reports survey. Ouch.

The overall satisfaction scores over all 26 cities puts Verizon on top with a score of 75, according to AppleInsider. T-Mobile comes in next with 70 (buoyed by its "superior" customer service), with Sprint trailing with 67 (due to "poor customer support") and AT&T pulling up the rear with 66.

This isn't the first time this year that AT&T has had a poor showing in a wireless survey. Back in May, the annual American Customer Satisfaction Index gave AT&T a 67 out of 100, good for third place among the four biggest U.S. carriers (Verizon was first, Sprint came in last) but also representing the steepest drop in the group.

As you might expect, AT&T's worst marks in the Consumer Reports came in such categories as "service availability," "circuit capacity," "dropped-call frequency," and "voice service," according to AllThingsDigital. That sounds an awful lot like the earlier ACSI survey, which dinged AT&T for "complaints about slow and spotty performance."

So, how does AT&T respond to the survey? A rep told AllThingsDigital that the carrier "appreciate[s] and value[s] all customer feedback," and argues that the "surest indication of customer satisfaction is churn" (or subscriber turnover), which for "postpaid" customers was "just 1.17 percent."

Huh ... so now I'm supposed to think about AT&T's churn rate the next time my iPhone drops a call? I think I liked those Luke Wilson ads better.

So, what about you: Who's your most/least favorite wireless carrier? Satisfied with the carrier you have now?

angel_luv
12-03-2009, 02:31 PM
I am so glad to be rid of AT&T. I had nothing but problems with them.
I lived in Converse, only a few miles from Judson High School, yet my cell phone would not work in the house.

My calls were dropped frequently, which is why I thought they're "no drop" commercials were a joke.

The company suddenly stopped sending me bills, though my address had not changed. I had to call them to find out how much I owed them.

Ridiculous.

Thunder Dan
12-03-2009, 02:32 PM
ATT sucks. The only reason I have it is because I have to for an Iphone. I love the Iphone but hate ATT. They are the worst

Viva Las Espuelas
12-03-2009, 02:34 PM
I went to my aunt's house for thanksgiving and my cousins wife is some AT&T exec or something. I had mentioned the better service that I got with tmobile before she pepped up and reminded me she worked for AT&T. This concerned calls. Not customer service. Haven't had to deal with AT&T over that. Told her I normaly drop a call a day. Told her my reception was horrible in NYC. She just said it should get better or something like that. Then she said that they made apple so much money............................... I just smiled and kept my mouth shut.

katyon6th
12-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Weird. I've never had any major problems with AT&T's service.

JudynTX
12-03-2009, 02:36 PM
I've been using AT & T for several years, no problems.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-03-2009, 02:37 PM
ATT sucks. The only reason I have it is because I have to for an Iphone. I love the Iphone but hate ATT. They are the worst

Yes. I regretted leaving tmobile of almost 10 years to this damn iPhone. Love the phone not so for the service. I think I'll be a one contract and done customer. Unlocking of the phone is getting more easier and I think I'll be going that route come 2011.

BacktoBasics
12-03-2009, 02:46 PM
How does Time Warner not walk away with this award. Robbed I tell you. They were fucking robbed.

mrsmaalox
12-03-2009, 02:56 PM
I hate AT&T. :)

Melmart1
12-03-2009, 03:01 PM
I have never had a problem with ATT. I had huge problems with Sprint when I was with them. But the only time I have issues with ATT is when I call my mom, but I think it's her cheap phone and not the service, cus nobody else's calls get dropped.

Soul_Patch
12-03-2009, 03:06 PM
I never have problems with ATT. I couldnt stand Verizon. I paid to break my contract with Verizon actually, because i hated them so much.

ATT is the only phone i have used that actually works down at the coast where we stay...every other carrier has no service.

BlackSwordsMan
12-03-2009, 03:16 PM
grande communications bitches!

TDMVPDPOY
12-03-2009, 03:37 PM
lol monopoly communication providers FTL....

lefty
12-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Can you hear me now?

Drachen
12-03-2009, 03:45 PM
grande communications bitches!

Cell phones people. BTW, I have Cricket and dont really have these problems. It works on mustang island, and my biggest issue is that sometimes txt messages aren't delivered right away.

CosmicCowboy
12-03-2009, 03:46 PM
ATT has BY FAR the best phone coverage in South Texas. I'm always having to loan my phone to people with other carriers when I'm on ranches or at the coast.

Thunder Dan
12-03-2009, 03:49 PM
in those commercials the ATT Blue map and the Verizon red map looks like the actual parts of the country that voted for Obama and McCain

ashbeeigh
12-03-2009, 03:49 PM
The only problem I have is with my new cell phone. Otherwise I'm happy with At&T.

ashbeeigh
12-03-2009, 03:50 PM
in those commercials the ATT Blue map and the Verizon red map looks like the actual parts of the country that voted for Obama and McCain

I don't even think they're comparing the same maps. The maps Verizon is showing are the real 3g coverage and the maps AT&T is showing are the regular coverage maps. It's comparing apples to oranges, in my opinion.

Thunder Dan
12-03-2009, 03:53 PM
I don't even think they're comparing the same maps. The maps Verizon is showing are the real 3g coverage and the maps AT&T is showing are the regular coverage maps. It's comparing apples to oranges, in my opinion.

All I know is that ATT having 3G coverage is a myth. ATT has 3G in like 10 cities and thats about it. The map Verizon shows is accurate and the truth. I'm a ATT Customer and never work on 3G

I'm currently showing 2 bars on the edge network right now in Akron...which is a city ATT claims to have 3G in one of their new commercials with Luke WIlson. Lies all lies.

Bender
12-03-2009, 03:54 PM
I just got cricket, but don't really like it so far. It does not work in the office building where I work (De Zavala Road). Also, when I drive to New Braunfels from S.A. the back way (FM 3009) I get an "out of service" message.

jeez, a few miles from I-35 and I have no service. When I got cricket, I didn't know I would have to stay on the interstates.

CosmicCowboy
12-03-2009, 03:58 PM
I just want my damn phone to work and ATT kicks ass there.

Shelly
12-03-2009, 04:03 PM
I've never had a problem with AT&T.

Thunder Dan, the only place I had practically no bars was when I was in Chesterland a few months ago for a high school reunion. However, I was staying in Hudson and had no problem getting 3G.

Drachen
12-03-2009, 04:12 PM
I just got cricket, but don't really like it so far. It does not work in the office building where I work (De Zavala Road). Also, when I drive to New Braunfels from S.A. the back way (FM 3009) I get an "out of service" message.

jeez, a few miles from I-35 and I have no service. When I got cricket, I didn't know I would have to stay on the interstates.

That is kinda what the maps show. All over san antonio and the surrounding areas, and in between cities, pretty much the highway and 5-10 miles either way from the highway.

Bender
12-03-2009, 04:16 PM
I only picked cricket since they have month-to-month billing. I didn't want to mess with a contract.

Thunder Dan
12-03-2009, 04:23 PM
I've never had a problem with AT&T.

Thunder Dan, the only place I had practically no bars was when I was in Chesterland a few months ago for a high school reunion. However, I was staying in Hudson and had no problem getting 3G.

I live in Hudson and it's really spotty if you are indoors, if you are in a basement or something there is no coverage at all. But outside it's fine

leemajors
12-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Weird. I've never had any major problems with AT&T's service.

Me either. There are several places in town calls drop sometimes, but for the most part nothing else.

PM5K
12-03-2009, 04:25 PM
No real issues with AT&T here. I do remember when I first got my iPhone 3G that I didn't get 3G at my dads house (Near Judson Rd) and by 1604 and Braun, but a few months later I was getting 3G in those areas.

mrsmaalox
12-03-2009, 04:36 PM
I said earlier that I hate AT&T and I really do. But I don't have many service issues with them; no dropped calls but more frequently dropped/delayed texts. Now if they could just manage to get my bill down to a decipherable, less than one ream of paper, I could probably start to like them.

Shelly
12-03-2009, 04:38 PM
I live in Hudson and it's really spotty if you are indoors, if you are in a basement or something there is no coverage at all. But outside it's fine

Small world. Beautiful town. Check out Beyond Brownies (it's partnered with the new popcorn place in town (I think it used to be Quiznos?)). The lady who makes the brownies, I went to school with when I lived in Luxembourg back in the 70s.

No real issues with AT&T here. I do remember when I first got my iPhone 3G that I didn't get 3G at my dads house (Near Judson Rd) and by 1604 and Braun, but a few months later I was getting 3G in those areas.

I'm in the general 1604/Braun are and never had an issue, but I had the first generation iPhone until I upgraded to 3GS last summer. And speaking of 1604/Braun--they need to do something about that intersection. At least once a week, there's an accident there.

PM5K
12-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Small world. Beautiful town. Check out Beyond Brownies (it's partnered with the new popcorn place in town (I think it used to be Quiznos?)). The lady who makes the brownies, I went to school with when I lived in Luxembourg back in the 70s.

I'm in the general 1604/Braun are and never had an issue, but I had the first generation iPhone until I upgraded to 3GS last summer. And speaking of 1604/Braun--they need to do something about that intersection. At least once a week, there's an accident there.

I always got service in that area, just not 3G service, and that was a while back, within the first few months of the 3G being released.

Drachen
12-03-2009, 05:25 PM
I only picked cricket since they have month-to-month billing. I didn't want to mess with a contract.

I chose them because they are dirt cheap and do what I need a cell phone company to do. My wife had Sprint at the time and was paying 125 a month for her phone. I had switched several months earlier, and I paid the $200 to break her contract put her on my service and for the two of us, unlimited talk, text, internet, and phone insurance, its 99.78 which includes the tax. I have had them since Jan 07.

Das Texan
12-03-2009, 08:27 PM
I get 3G in Lampasas.

I dont get the only in something like 12 cities.

I guess DFW and San Antonio are 2 of the 12. I'm sure Houston is one of the 12 also.

What are the other 9 cities?

Evil Angel
12-03-2009, 09:27 PM
And this is surprising how? If not for the iPhone, well you know.

sabar
12-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Its ALL dependent on location, these surveys are totally useless unless they are at a very local level.

ploto
12-03-2009, 11:28 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone's cell phone will work inside the Target at the Rim, especially as you head further into the store.

Frenzy
12-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Tmobile. Hardly ever had an issue with them other than a dropped call or 2 in bandera. Plus they give me free months.

to21
12-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Funny, I'm always lending my Verizon phone to friends with ATT out on the coastal waters.

IMO, they ALL suck for customer service. I've had phones that dropped calls in the same areas that didn't with a new phone.

MannyIsGod
12-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Fuck AT&T - will never use them again. They're horrible. Sprint is pretty bad too, but better than AT&T.

Soul_Patch
12-04-2009, 11:13 AM
ATT has BY FAR the best phone coverage in South Texas. I'm always having to loan my phone to people with other carriers when I'm on ranches or at the coast.

This. We have a place near Rockport on the water. My verizon phone completely lost coverage as soon as we got within about 2 miles of the place. Anyone who had an ATT phone never had a disruption in service.

I was out in the boat heading down the intercoastal toward Mesquite Bay. Had engine trouble. Verizon phone, NADA...Dad's ATT phone got crystal clear service.

That is when i decided enough was enough. Got an iphone to boot, so i am happy with it.