PDA

View Full Version : Henrico Medal of Honor recipient, 90, ordered to remove flagpole

Cry Havoc
12-03-2009, 05:17 PM
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/POLEGAT02_20091202-091201/309031/P0/

Col. Van T. Barfoot, a local Medal of Honor winner, is under the gun from his Henrico County community's homeowner association.

In a five-paragraph letter to Barfoot that he received yesterday, Barfoot is being ordered to remove a flagpole from his yard. The decorated veteran of three wars, now 90 years old, raises the American flag every morning on the pole, then lowers and folds the flag at dusk each day in a three-corner military fashion.

In a priority mail letter, the Coates & Davenport law firm in Richmond is ordering Barfoot to remove the pole by 5 p.m. Friday or face "legal action being brought to enforce the Covenants and Restrictions against you." The letter states that Barfoot will be subject to paying all legal fees and costs in any successful legal proceeding pursued by the homeowner association's board.

Barfoot's daughter said this evening that news reports about the association order have prompted an outpouring of sympathy and offers of help from people following her father's ordeal.

Tonight, the Sussex Square Homeowners Association issued a statement reiterating its position that Barfoot directly violated the association board's denial of his request to erect a flagpole.

"This is not about the American flag. This about a flagpole," the statement reads.

Barfoot lives in the Sussex Square community in far western Henrico; its board of directors rejected a plea from Barfoot in July to approve the pole, disallowing the fixture on aesthetic grounds.

There is no provision in the community's rules expressly forbidding flagpoles, Barfoot's daughter said. But she said the board ruled against her father's fixture and ordered it removed in July, deciding that free-standing flag poles are not aesthetically appropriate. Short flag stands attached to porches dot the community.

"Dad sort of feels like this is the end," said Margaret Nicholls, Barfoot's daughter, who lives a few doors away. But she said this morning that she and her husband are attempting to generate support for her father's cause, a flag-raising rite that he has undertaken for most of his life.

Barfoot received the Medal of Honor on the battlefield during World War II in Italy and fought as well in the Korean and Vietnam wars. A portion of a highway in rural Mississippi, his native state, was named in his honor this fall. A building at McGuire Veterans Hospital in Richmond also carries his name.

Barfoot began regularly flying the flag on Veteran's Day this year despite the Sussex Square board's decision.

He said in November that not flying the flag would be a sacrilege to him.

"There's never been a day in my life or a place I've lived in my life that you couldn't fly the American flag," he said.

For more on this story, see tomorrow's Richmond Times-Dispatch.

-- Bill McKelway

The wiki article denoting his medal of honor and how he earned it:

"For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty on 23 May 1944, near Carano, Italy. With his platoon heavily engaged during an assault against forces well entrenched on commanding ground, 2d Lt. Barfoot (then Tech. Sgt.) moved off alone upon the enemy left flank. He crawled to the proximity of 1 machinegun nest and made a direct hit on it with a hand grenade, killing 2 and wounding 3 Germans. He continued along the German defense line to another machinegun emplacement, and with his tommygun killed 2 and captured 3 soldiers. Members of another enemy machinegun crew then abandoned their position and gave themselves up to Sgt. Barfoot. Leaving the prisoners for his support squad to pick up, he proceeded to mop up positions in the immediate area, capturing more prisoners and bringing his total count to 17. Later that day, after he had reorganized his men and consolidated the newly captured ground, the enemy launched a fierce armored counterattack directly at his platoon positions. Securing a bazooka, Sgt. Barfoot took up an exposed position directly in front of 3 advancing Mark VI tanks. From a distance of 75 yards his first shot destroyed the track of the leading tank, effectively disabling it, while the other 2 changed direction toward the flank. As the crew of the disabled tank dismounted, Sgt. Barfoot killed 3 of them with his tommygun. He continued onward into enemy terrain and destroyed a recently abandoned German fieldpiece with a demolition charge placed in the breech. While returning to his platoon position, Sgt. Barfoot, though greatly fatigued by his Herculean efforts, assisted 2 of his seriously wounded men 1,700 yards to a position of safety. Sgt. Barfoot's extraordinary heroism, demonstration of magnificent valor, and aggressive determination in the face of pointblank fire are a perpetual inspiration to his fellow soldiers."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_T._Barfoot

Oh, Gee!!
12-03-2009, 05:31 PM
having just paid my HOA fees, I'm on Barfoot's side

spursncowboys
12-03-2009, 05:44 PM
I hate Homeowner's assoc. They should not have the power to take away someone's home. Has a case like this ever gone to the SCOTUS

DarkReign
12-03-2009, 06:09 PM
The wiki article denoting his medal of honor and how he earned it:

"For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty on 23 May 1944, near Carano, Italy. With his platoon heavily engaged during an assault against forces well entrenched on commanding ground, 2d Lt. Barfoot (then Tech. Sgt.) moved off alone upon the enemy left flank. He crawled to the proximity of 1 machinegun nest and made a direct hit on it with a hand grenade, killing 2 and wounding 3 Germans. He continued along the German defense line to another machinegun emplacement, and with his tommygun killed 2 and captured 3 soldiers. Members of another enemy machinegun crew then abandoned their position and gave themselves up to Sgt. Barfoot. Leaving the prisoners for his support squad to pick up, he proceeded to mop up positions in the immediate area, capturing more prisoners and bringing his total count to 17. Later that day, after he had reorganized his men and consolidated the newly captured ground, the enemy launched a fierce armored counterattack directly at his platoon positions. Securing a bazooka, Sgt. Barfoot took up an exposed position directly in front of 3 advancing Mark VI tanks. From a distance of 75 yards his first shot destroyed the track of the leading tank, effectively disabling it, while the other 2 changed direction toward the flank. As the crew of the disabled tank dismounted, Sgt. Barfoot killed 3 of them with his tommygun. He continued onward into enemy terrain and destroyed a recently abandoned German fieldpiece with a demolition charge placed in the breech. While returning to his platoon position, Sgt. Barfoot, though greatly fatigued by his Herculean efforts, assisted 2 of his seriously wounded men 1,700 yards to a position of safety. Sgt. Barfoot's extraordinary heroism, demonstration of magnificent valor, and aggressive determination in the face of pointblank fire are a perpetual inspiration to his fellow soldiers."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_T._Barfoot

Jesus...thats like a video game script, right there. :flag:

Cry Havoc
12-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Jesus...thats like a video game script, right there. :flag:

Right? They could actually base a videogame off of his actions.

This guy won the Medal of Honor. He should be able to masturbate naked in his own yard at noon if he wants to.

Nbadan
12-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Right? They could actually base a videogame off of his actions.

This guy won the Medal of Honor. He should be able to masturbate naked in his own yard at noon if he wants to.

Wouldn't it be funny if all these captures and kills were surrendipudous on something crazy like him falling asleep in his foxhole while his fellow troops pulled back? Isn't there a movie like that?

sabar
12-03-2009, 11:50 PM
HOAs suck. There are such arbitrary rules here such as coloration of parts of home, display of small storage sheds, usage of streets to park cars and more. Can't even keep a boat on your own driveway.

By the way, reading medal of honor citations reminds me that there are people our there far more courageous than I could ever dream to be. Many truly are like scripts straight from an action movie.

He was a squad leader when the task force to which his unit was attached encountered resistance in its advance on Kirchain, Germany. Between the town's outlying buildings 300 yards distant and the stalled armored column were a minefield and 2 bridges defended by German rocket-launching teams and riflemen. From the town itself came heavy small-arms fire. Moving forward with his men to protect engineers while they removed the minefield and the demolition charges attached to the bridges, S/Sgt. Dietz came under intense fire. On his own initiative he advanced alone, scorning the bullets which struck all around him, until he was able to kill the bazooka (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bazooka) team defending the first bridge. He continued ahead and had killed another bazooka team, bayoneted an enemy soldier armed with a panzerfaust (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzerfaust) and shot 2 Germans when he was knocked to the ground by another blast of another panzerfaust. He quickly recovered, killed the man who had fired at him and then jumped into waist-deep water under the second bridge to disconnect the demolition charges. His work was completed; but as he stood up to signal that the route was clear, he was killed by another enemy volley from the left flank. S/Sgt. Dietz by his intrepidity and valiant effort on his self-imposed mission, single-handedly opened the road for the capture of Kirchain and left with his comrades an inspiring example of gallantry in the face of formidable odds.
For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as Automatic Weapons Gunner for Naval Special Warfare Task Group Arabian Peninsula, in support of Operation IRAQI FREEDOM on 29 September 2006. As a member of a combined SEAL and Iraqi Army sniper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper) overwatch element, tasked with providing early warning and stand-off protection from a rooftop in an insurgent-held sector of Ar Ramadi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramadi), Iraq, Petty Officer Monsoor distinguished himself by his exceptional bravery in the face of grave danger. In the early morning, insurgents prepared to execute a coordinated attack by reconnoitering the area around the element's position. Element snipers thwarted the enemy's initial attempt by eliminating two insurgents. The enemy continued to assault the element, engaging them with a rocket-propelled grenade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket-propelled_grenade) and small arms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_arms) fire. As enemy activity increased, Petty Officer Monsoor took position with his machine gun between two teammates on an outcropping of the roof. While the SEALs vigilantly watched for enemy activity, an insurgent threw a hand grenade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_grenade) from an unseen location, which bounced off Petty Officer Monsoor's chest and landed in front of him. Although only he could have escaped the blast, Petty Officer Monsoor chose instead to protect his teammates. Instantly and without regard for his own safety, he threw himself onto the grenade to absorb the force of the explosion with his body, saving the lives of his two teammates. By his undaunted courage, fighting spirit, and unwavering devotion to duty in the face of certain death, Petty Officer Monsoor gallantly gave his life for his country, thereby reflecting great credit upon himself and upholding the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service."
Sergeant First Class Paul R. Smith distinguished himself by acts of gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action with an armed enemy near Baghdad International Airport, Baghdad, Iraq on April 4, 2003. On that day, Sergeant First Class Smith was engaged in the construction of a prisoner of war holding area when his Task Force was violently attacked by a company-sized enemy force. Realizing the vulnerability of over 100 soldiers, Sergeant First Class Smith quickly organized a hasty defense consisting of two platoons of soldiers, one Bradley Fighting Vehicle and three armored personnel carriers. As the fight developed, Sergeant First Class Smith braved hostile enemy fire to personally engage the enemy with hand grenades and anti-tank weapons, and organized the evacuation of three wounded soldiers from an armored personnel carrier struck by a rocket propelled grenade and a 60 mm mortar round. Fearing the enemy would overrun their defenses, Sergeant First Class Smith moved under withering enemy fire to man a .50 caliber machine gun mounted on a damaged armored personnel carrier. In total disregard for his own life, he maintained his exposed position in order to engage the attacking enemy force. During this action, he was mortally wounded. His courageous actions helped defeat the enemy attack, and resulted in as many as 50 enemy soldiers killed, while allowing the safe withdrawal of numerous wounded soldiers. Sergeant First Class Smith's extraordinary heroism and uncommon valor are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, the Third Infantry Division 'Rock of the Marne,' and the United States Army.
He was a scout when the unit advanced with tanks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank) along a street in Manila, Luzon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luzon), Philippine Islands. Without warning, enemy machinegun and rifle fire from concealed positions in the Customs building swept the street, striking down the troop commander and driving his men to cover. As the officer lay in the open road, unable to move and completely exposed to the pointblank enemy fire, Pfc. Grabiarz voluntarily ran from behind a tank to carry him to safety, but was himself wounded in the shoulder. Ignoring both the pain in his injured useless arm and his comrades' shouts to seek the cover which was only a few yards distant, the valiant rescuer continued his efforts to drag his commander out of range. Finding this impossible, he rejected the opportunity to save himself and deliberately covered the officer with his own body to form a human shield, calling as he did so for a tank to maneuver into position between him and the hostile emplacement. The enemy riddled him with concentrated fire before the tank could interpose itself. Our troops found that he had been successful in preventing bullets from striking his leader, who survived. Through his magnificent sacrifice in gallantly giving his life to save that of his commander, Pfc. Grabiarz provided an outstanding and lasting inspiration to his fellow soldiers.

Clandestino
12-04-2009, 07:14 PM
hoas are good. go look at some neighborhoods wo them.

ChumpDumper
12-04-2009, 07:25 PM
So he can still fly a flag, right? I guess he can check with a lawyer, but it might not be worth the potential cost at this point.

TeyshaBlue
12-04-2009, 07:36 PM
So he asked the HOA if he could erect a flagpole, they say "no" and he does it anyway. Not the best course of action and legally, he doesn't have a leg to stand on.
That being said, I think the HOA were being being dicks when they turned him down.

boutons_deux
12-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Let's see, following the lead of the righties who placed the entire blame on borrowers sucked into sub-prime loans they could never pay, for not reading the contract:

"Henrico didn't read the HOA contract when he moved in? Fuck 'im"

Cry Havoc
12-04-2009, 10:51 PM
So he asked the HOA if he could erect a flagpole, they say "no" and he does it anyway. Not the best course of action and legally, he doesn't have a leg to stand on.
That being said, I think the HOA were being being dicks when they turned him down.

Let's see, following the lead of the righties who placed the entire blame on borrowers sucked into sub-prime loans they could never pay, for not reading the contract:

Way to not read the article. Nothing in the contract prevents him from having a flagpole in his yard. He was told to remove it specifically for "aesthetic reasons". Basically, the HOA thinks it looks tacky to have an American flag flying on a pole on their street and took a vote to have him take it down, despite it not being against any kind of rule or law to do so.

baseline bum
12-05-2009, 12:23 AM
That's a disgrace to tell a medal of honor winner he can't raise a flag in his yard. How much of a power-hungry douchebag can you be to not allow a man who has given so much to show respect for his country? I guess not all needledicks who got picked on in high-school become cops.

Wild Cobra
12-05-2009, 12:40 AM
I hate homeowners associations also, but that's what you get when you give up your rights by moving into a house belonging to one. Sorry to say this, but it appears he needs to abide by the rules. The exception to this would be if the flagpole was there before the association was formed. Then standard grandfathering should be applied.

exstatic
12-05-2009, 12:51 AM
There's a real easy way to avoid HOA rules: don't buy there. HOAs exist to have nice subdivisions where your next door neighbor doesn't have a fucking broken down school bus parked in his back yard, or your down the street idiot doesn't paint his house fuchsia. Everyone bumps into something eventually with their HOA. It's part of not living in a shithole Okie-style neighborhood.

:lol It's funny that most of the people crying over this are the board Republicans. Hey guys, HOAs are just the Republican party in miniature, all in everybody's bedroom and womb.

PixelPusher
12-05-2009, 12:52 AM
Like local, state and federal govermnent, we get the HOAs we deserve. Real estate values above all other considerations.

Blake
12-05-2009, 01:07 AM

I appreciate his service, but no.

exstatic
12-05-2009, 01:08 AM
Like local, state and federal govermnent, we get the HOAs we deserve. Real estate values above all other considerations.

People will definitely pay to NOT live next door to the Joads.

The school bus story is true, BTW. I used to drive through one of the older neighborhoods in Schertz as a short cut to FM78, and this fucker really had an old school bus in his back yard. I think of that every time I get notice from the HOA to cut my grass or replace a fence picket.

Blake
12-05-2009, 01:23 AM
I think the basic principle behind the starting of HOAs is a good thing, but I think in many cases it has gotten out of hand, and frankly I'd love to look at the books of some of the HOA managing companies and see how the dollars are spent and what the salaries are of these agents.

I pay a few hundred a year for my HOA dues, but we have no gates, no community swimming pool, homeowners cut the yard behind their fences along the right of way and code compliance is usually called out for any issues such as basketball goals in the street or weeds.

I have the monetary breakdown for the HOA in my deed papers, but it makes little sense. Administration fees don't cut it for me and I'd really like to know where the fuck my money is really going.

It feels like a scam that I can do nothing about except bend over and take it, because it's all in the name of maintaining an aesthetically pleasing community. If you are determined to be of sound mind and you sign the papers, you are at their mercy.

He's got nothing to stand on. The pole's gotta go. If he masturbates in his front yard at noon, his other pole's gotta go to jail.

z0sa
12-05-2009, 02:32 AM
Some amazing stories.

Winehole23
12-05-2009, 05:53 AM
I appreciate his service, but no.How about the flagpole, then? Couldn't the HOA make an exception for Medal of Honor recipients?

If not, why not?

boutons_deux
12-05-2009, 09:43 AM
If there are no specific HOA rules against flagpoles, and there are rules that say the HOA has the power to enforce their definition of "aesthetics", then he's still screwed for signing the (very broad) HOA contract.

Cry Havoc
12-05-2009, 09:48 AM
I hate homeowners associations also, but that's what you get when you give up your rights by moving into a house belonging to one. Sorry to say this, but it appears he needs to abide by the rules. The exception to this would be if the flagpole was there before the association was formed. Then standard grandfathering should be applied.

I think the basic principle behind the starting of HOAs is a good thing, but I think in many cases it has gotten out of hand, and frankly I'd love to look at the books of some of the HOA managing companies and see how the dollars are spent and what the salaries are of these agents.

I pay a few hundred a year for my HOA dues, but we have no gates, no community swimming pool, homeowners cut the yard behind their fences along the right of way and code compliance is usually called out for any issues such as basketball goals in the street or weeds.

I have the monetary breakdown for the HOA in my deed papers, but it makes little sense. Administration fees don't cut it for me and I'd really like to know where the fuck my money is really going.

It feels like a scam that I can do nothing about except bend over and take it, because it's all in the name of maintaining an aesthetically pleasing community. If you are determined to be of sound mind and you sign the papers, you are at their mercy.

He's got nothing to stand on. The pole's gotta go. If he masturbates in his front yard at noon, his other pole's gotta go to jail.

Two more completely awesome individuals who don't know how to fucking read!

Way to go, guys!

If there are no specific HOA rules against flagpoles, and there are rules that say the HOA has the power to enforce their definition of "aesthetics", then he's still screwed for signing the (very broad) HOA contract.

False. An HOA can't suddenly decide willy-nilly to tell someone what they can or cannot do. We still have rights in this country as citizens. If they told you that you have to remove your windows from your house or repeatedly made you pain your house every other week, there are provisions to protect you, and a judge will toss their happy little ass out of court.

A contract does not entitle an HOA to complete control over your life.

EmptyMan
12-05-2009, 11:15 AM

hahahahaa +1

LOL @ HOA.

Wild Cobra
12-05-2009, 11:17 AM
How about the flagpole, then? Couldn't the HOA make an exception for Medal of Honor recipients?

If not, why not?
They could. It's a shame they won't. Maybe they are communists?

Chomag
12-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Fuck the HOA! This guy has earned this!!! God bless him.

Wild Cobra
12-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Fuck the HOA! This guy has earned this!!! God bless him.
That's my feelings as well, but contracts are legally binding. Feelings and law don't mix well.

EmptyMan
12-05-2009, 12:16 PM
6qIgVrOy9vM

Back then I was killing Germans with a tommy gun. A TOMMY GUN! Now here I can't even fly a flag on my flag pole!?!?!? A FLAG POLE!? AHHHHHHHHH

TeyshaBlue
12-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Way to not read the article. Nothing in the contract prevents him from having a flagpole in his yard. He was told to remove it specifically for "aesthetic reasons". Basically, the HOA thinks it looks tacky to have an American flag flying on a pole on their street and took a vote to have him take it down, despite it not being against any kind of rule or law to do so.

Tonight, the Sussex Square Homeowners Association issued a statement reiterating its position that Barfoot directly violated the association board's denial of his request to erect a flagpole.

In July, according to Margaret Nicholls, Barfoot's daughter, the board dismissed Barfoot's proposal that the right to fly the flag on a vertical pole be restricted only to living Medal of Honor recipients.

Barfoot could fly Old Glory to his heart's content on an angled pole attached to his house, as permitted by the homeowners association.

Way to not research your position.:lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-05-2009, 01:29 PM

You're such a dick. It says that the HOA contract didn't explicitly forbid flag poles.

Go suck on a tailpipe, you douche.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-05-2009, 01:31 PM
There's a real easy way to avoid HOA rules: don't buy there. HOAs exist to have nice subdivisions where your next door neighbor doesn't have a fucking broken down school bus parked in his back yard, or your down the street idiot doesn't paint his house fuchsia. Everyone bumps into something eventually with their HOA. It's part of not living in a shithole Okie-style neighborhood.

:lol It's funny that most of the people crying over this are the board Republicans. Hey guys, HOAs are just the Republican party in miniature, all in everybody's bedroom and womb.

Yeah, that's the Republicans all right. Next thing you know they'll be trying to legislate control of our personal health! Oh wait... Give it a rest, ex.

boutons_deux
12-05-2009, 02:13 PM
"HOA can't suddenly decide willy-nilly"

An HOA is obviously intended to keep ignorant Aggies and other rural bubbas from defacing the neighborhood and reducing property values, so if the Hero didn't buy into the HOA as being the ultimate arbiter of neighborhood appearances, he shouldn't have moved into their "private club" and given up the rights to violate the HOA bylaws.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-05-2009, 03:59 PM
"HOA can't suddenly decide willy-nilly"

An HOA is obviously intended to keep ignorant Aggies and other rural bubbas from defacing the neighborhood and reducing property values, so if the Hero didn't buy into the HOA as being the ultimate arbiter of neighborhood appearances, he shouldn't have moved into their "private club" and given up the rights to violate the HOA bylaws.

Maybe when you move out of your mom's basement and into a house of your own, you'll get some exposure to HOAs. What you are describing isn't how good HOAs work.

Cute insult though, bet you've been working on that one all day.

boutons_deux
12-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Or the other rightie defense of predatory lenders vs foreclosed borrowers:

"nobody forced the Hero to move into that HOA neighborhood"

Shaolin-Style
12-05-2009, 04:37 PM
That's screwed up to do that to that old vet, especially after all hes been through. The hell harm does a flagpole do.

Nazis.

whottt
12-05-2009, 06:44 PM
There's a real easy way to avoid HOA rules: don't buy there. HOAs exist to have nice subdivisions where your next door neighbor doesn't have a fucking broken down school bus parked in his back yard, or your down the street idiot doesn't paint his house fuchsia.

A flagpole flying the flag is equivalent to a broken down bus? If anything it constitutes an improvement to the property and likely did not impact the property value one way or the other, especially since it's probably removable and therefore not a permanent addition.

HOA are formed with good intentions but they can become tyrannical and unjust like every other type of organization there is. It sounds to me like they are overstepping their intended purpose in this case.

whottt
12-05-2009, 07:04 PM
By the way, reading medal of honor citations reminds me that there are people our there far more courageous than I could ever dream to be. Many truly are like scripts straight from an action movie.

Check out this motherfucker Sabar, he's my favorite(mainly because I met him as I am sure many school kids in Texas did):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3b/Benavidez.jpg

Master Sergeant (then Staff Sergeant) Roy P. Benavidez United States Army, who distinguished himself by a series of daring and extremely valorous actions on 2 May 1968 while assigned to Detachment B56, 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne), 1st Special Forces, Republic of Vietnam. On the morning of 2 May 1968, a 12-man Special Forces Reconnaissance Team was inserted by helicopters in a dense jungle area west of Loc Ninh, Vietnam to gather intelligence information about confirmed large-scale enemy activity. This area was controlled and routinely patrolled by the North Vietnamese Army. After a short period of time on the ground, the team met heavy enemy resistance, and requested emergency extraction. Three helicopters attempted extraction, but were unable to land due to intense enemy small arms and anti-aircraft fire. Sergeant Benavidez was at the Forward Operating Base in Loc Ninh monitoring the operation by radio when these helicopters returned to off-load wounded crewmembers and to assess aircraft damage. Sergeant Benavidez voluntarily boarded a returning aircraft to assist in another extraction attempt.[/qb]

[b]Realizing that all the team members were either dead or wounded and unable to move to the pickup zone, he directed the aircraft to a nearby clearing where he jumped from the hovering helicopter, and ran approximately 75 meters under withering small arms fire to the crippled team. Prior to reaching the team's position he was wounded in his right leg, face, and head. Despite these painful injuries, he took charge, repositioning the team members and directing their fire to facilitate the landing of an extraction aircraft, and the loading of wounded and dead team members. He then threw smoke canisters to direct the aircraft to the team's position. Despite his severe wounds and under intense enemy fire, he carried and dragged half of the wounded team members to the awaiting aircraft. He then provided protective fire by running alongside the aircraft as it moved to pick up the remaining team members. As the enemy's fire intensified, he hurried to recover the body and classified documents on the dead team leader. When he reached the leader's body, Sergeant Benavidez was severely wounded by small arms fire in the abdomen and grenade fragments in his back. At nearly the same moment, the aircraft pilot was mortally wounded, and his helicopter crashed. Although in extremely critical condition due to his multiple wounds, Sergeant Benavidez secured the classified documents and made his way back to the wreckage, where he aided the wounded out of the overturned aircraft, and gathered the stunned survivors into a defensive perimeter.

Under increasing enemy automatic weapons and grenade fire, he moved around the perimeter distributing water and ammunition to his weary men, reinstilling in them a will to live and fight. Facing a buildup of enemy opposition with a beleaguered team, Sergeant Benavidez mustered his strength, began calling in tactical air strikes and directed the fire from supporting gunships to suppress the enemy's fire and so permit another extraction attempt. He was wounded again in his thigh by small arms fire while administering first aid to a wounded team member just before another extraction helicopter was able to land. His indomitable spirit kept him going as he began to ferry his comrades to the craft. On his second trip with the wounded, he was clubbed from additional wounds to his head and arms before killing his adversary.

He then continued under devastating fire to carry the wounded to the helicopter. Upon reaching the aircraft, he spotted and killed two enemy soldiers who were rushing the craft from an angle that prevented the aircraft door gunner from firing upon them. With little strength remaining, he made one last trip to the perimeter to ensure that all classified material had been collected or destroyed, and to bring in the remaining wounded. Only then, in extremely serious condition from numerous wounds and loss of blood, did he allow himself to be pulled into the extraction aircraft. Sergeant Benavidez' gallant choice to join voluntarily his comrades who were in critical straits, to expose himself constantly to withering enemy fire, and his refusal to be stopped despite numerous severe wounds, saved the lives of at least eight men. His fearless personal leadership, tenacious devotion to duty, and extremely valorous actions in the face of overwhelming odds were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service, and reflect the utmost credit on him and the United States Army.[1]

I mean that shit is just fucking unreal...

whottt
12-05-2009, 07:08 PM
BTW Sabar, if there is ever civil war or some kind of shit hitting the fan, the first thing I am going to do is go round up every fucking son of a sharecropper I can find..

Roy Benavides:

son of a sharecropper

Sgt Alvin York(the most decorated soldier of WWI):

son of a sharecropper

Audie Murphy(the most decorated soldier of WWII):

sharecropper's son

My advice, if you are ever about to find yourself in a fight with a sharecropper's son...I suggest you reconsider as you are not dealing with someone remotely close to being a normal human being. Either that, or go get about 200 hundred other people to help you. A hundred won't be enough...Alvin York captured 132 German soldiers at once(and killed 28 others), all by himself in the same incident.

And he was a conscientious objector to the war.

Cry Havoc
12-05-2009, 08:00 PM

Way to not research your position.:lol

Ah, I see. So if they voted to order him to build a massive Nazi symbol in his yard, he would have to comply? What if they voted to order him to erect gallows in his basement?

Get the fuck out, asshat. Just because HOAs vote on an issue does not give them complete power over your life.

And for the record, the flagpole was already up. He's been raising the flag in the morning and taking it down in the evening for years/decades.

Again, reading the fucking article before giving your opinion would help you a lot. :tu

jack sommerset
12-05-2009, 09:56 PM
It's hard for me to believe this is just about a flagpole considering he resume in the military and his age.

Cry Havoc
12-05-2009, 10:55 PM
It's hard for me to believe this is just about a flagpole considering he resume in the military and his age.

Of course it isn't. It's about a HOA going on a power trip and grasping for every little bit of control they can have in their tiny little sheltered perfect world.

The day an American flag flying on a pole is an affront to an American citizen to the point that they will actively pursue the denial of another American do fly said flag is the day they need to be forcibly removed from this country.

AussieFanKurt
12-06-2009, 05:40 AM

:lmao
+1

TeyshaBlue
12-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Ah, I see. So if they voted to order him to build a massive Nazi symbol in his yard, he would have to comply? What if they voted to order him to erect gallows in his basement?

Get the fuck out, asshat. Just because HOAs vote on an issue does not give them complete power over your life.

And for the record, the flagpole was already up. He's been raising the flag in the morning and taking it down in the evening for years/decades.

Again, reading the fucking article before giving your opinion would help you a lot. :tu

Calm down, fucklobster. I've already said I thought the HOA were acting like dicks, much like yourself. They could've just as easily waved the ruling for a freaking 90 year old medal of honor recipient....just as easily as the 90 year old medal of honor recipient could've flown the flag from a pole attached to his house.
Both sides are in the wrong here, but the HOA should've cowboyed up and let him do his thing. Switch to fucking decaff, dude.:rolleyes

Clandestino
12-06-2009, 10:26 AM

go to a board meeting and you'll see all the answers youre looking for.

Cry Havoc
12-30-2009, 03:39 AM
Bumping this thread.

The Homeowner's Association dropped the case. Colonel Barfoot will be allowed to raise his flag every morning and lower it every night in accordance with his wishes.

Oh, Gee!!
12-30-2009, 10:39 AM
wow, a HOA deciding to do the right thing for once.

BacktoBasics
12-30-2009, 11:01 AM
How can we spam this HOA with threatening phone calls?

Have we located contact information yet?

Drachen
12-30-2009, 11:53 AM
A flagpole flying the flag is equivalent to a broken down bus? If anything it constitutes an improvement to the property and likely did not impact the property value one way or the other, especially since it's probably removable and therefore not a permanent addition.

HOA are formed with good intentions but they can become tyrannical and unjust like every other type of organization there is. It sounds to me like they are overstepping their intended purpose in this case.

I would say yes to this except that although the article mentions an outpouring of support, it doesn't specifically mention his neighborhood. If the support were from his own neighborhood, he wouldn't have a problem. The "enemies" in this case are being presented as the board. However, this is the HOMEOWNERS association. The board only represents the HOMEOWNERS. So if he had a lot of support from the HOMEOWNERS then this could be easily overturned, or they could fire the board, then overturn. So it is obvious to me in this case that its his neighborhood in general who believe this flagpole to be a problem. I don't like the idea of him not being able to have a verticle flagpole in his yard, but he should have known this when they denied his request to erect it in the first place. He could have lobbied his fellow neighbors to pressure the board to allow him to erect it. I don't like his actions that equate to "I don't like the law, so I am going to break it."

BacktoBasics
12-30-2009, 12:15 PM
I would say yes to this except that although the article mentions an outpouring of support, it doesn't specifically mention his neighborhood. If the support were from his own neighborhood, he wouldn't have a problem. The "enemies" in this case are being presented as the board. However, this is the HOMEOWNERS association. The board only represents the HOMEOWNERS. So if he had a lot of support from the HOMEOWNERS then this could be easily overturned, or they could fire the board, then overturn. So it is obvious to me in this case that its his neighborhood in general who believe this flagpole to be a problem. I don't like the idea of him not being able to have a verticle flagpole in his yard, but he should have known this when they denied his request to erect it in the first place. He could have lobbied his fellow neighbors to pressure the board to allow him to erect it. I don't like his actions that equate to "I don't like the law, so I am going to break it."Its not the law and he's not breaking any laws by erecting it. There was never any specific ordinance against his flagpole in the first place. They pulled one out of their ass just because they can.

I'd go to court over this no doubt. Its not obstructive and doesn't depreciate the value of the property. They're denying him based on "opinion" of aesthetics and nothing more. With no legitimate reason for denial other than an unfounded "opinion" I don't see the HOA winning this battle.

Not to mention the bad press and attention will likely push people off from moving in. That alone would negate any so called aesthetic benefits.

There is little to be gained by waging a war against a national hero because you think the American flag is tacky.

Drachen
12-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Its not the law and he's not breaking any laws by erecting it. There was never any specific ordinance against his flagpole in the first place. They pulled one out of their ass just because they can.

I'd go to court over this no doubt. Its not obstructive and doesn't depreciate the value of the property. They're denying him based on "opinion" of aesthetics and nothing more. With no legitimate reason for denial other than an unfounded "opinion" I don't see the HOA winning this battle.

Not to mention the bad press and attention will likely push people off from moving in. That alone would negate any so called aesthetic benefits.

There is little to be gained by waging a war against a national hero because you think the American flag is tacky.

You are right, he was not breaking any law (I said it was like a person who doesn't like a law so breaks it, I guess you missed the word "like" as in this is a metaphor), but he erected it AFTER he was told that he was not allowed to. The opinion of "asthetics" expressed by the board must = the opinion of "asthetics" held by the Homeowners at large, since this is still an issue. If he didn't like the ruling of the board, instead of breaking that ruling like a brat, he could have done the responsible thing and drummed up support in his neighborhood of HOMEOWNERS who the board represents. If the HOMEOWNERS expressed that they would like to allow him to do this, then that means that an ASSOCIATION of these HOMEOWNERS would comply, you know, since the HOMEOWNERS are the association. Look, I appreciate his heroics, I agree that it is like some action movie, or video game. I also think that he should be allowed to have the flag pole in his yard, and if I were a homeowner in his neighborhood, I would support him. Unfortunately, I don't live there, and he doesn't seem to have any neighborhood support for his cause, because otherwise this wouldn't be an issue. I also think he acted like a 5 year old brat instead of going about doing things the right way. Lastly, if he just can't get support for this by his fellow neighbors, then that sucks, but he has to take it down anyway, since he ceded that decision making power to the HOA when he bought the house.

Drachen
12-30-2009, 12:32 PM

The article states that they denied his request to erect the flagpole. It says that he has been raising and lowering it every day, but it does not say that he has been doing it at that house.

Drachen
12-30-2009, 12:34 PM
ok, didnt read the previous few posts, it seems that he has gotten the support of those in his neighborhood. This could have easily been done the correct way before he erected it.

Wild Cobra
12-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Well, I'm glad to see he gets to keep it.

TeyshaBlue
12-30-2009, 12:53 PM
The article states that they denied his request to erect the flagpole. It says that he has been raising and lowering it every day, but it does not say that he has been doing it at that house.

You're right..he was raising the flag at another house I believe, but Havoc had is prick hat on and was on a roll.:lol
The end result is what should've happened in the first place. The HOA should've said "In light of your service to our country and by extension ourselves, we commend you and ask that you continue to display the flag as you see fit."

BacktoBasics
12-30-2009, 12:53 PM
ok, didnt read the previous few posts, it seems that he has gotten the support of those in his neighborhood. This could have easily been done the correct way before he erected it.Did he or did he not already have it up. I was under the impression that he already had it up.

Cry Havoc
12-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Did he or did he not already have it up. I was under the impression that he already had it up.

He had been raising and lowering the flag every day for something like 10-15 years, if I recall. Probably longer than the HOA had been around.

Drachen
12-30-2009, 01:07 PM
He had been raising and lowering the flag every day for something like 10-15 years, if I recall. Probably longer than the HOA had been around.

This may be, but it was not at that house, on a verticle flagpole.

BacktoBasics
12-30-2009, 01:33 PM
This may be, but it was not at that house, on a verticle flagpole.

Tonight, the Sussex Square Homeowners Association issued a statement reiterating its position that Barfoot directly violated the association board's denial of his request to erect a flagpole.The only mistake I see here is that he made a "request". Dude should have just put it up and been done. He essentially trapped himself it seems. I'd still fight it though. The HOA won't fare well in a public battle.

ChumpDumper
12-30-2009, 01:36 PM
The only mistake I see here is that he made a "request". Dude should have just put it up and been done. He essentially trapped himself it seems. I'd still fight it though. The HOA won't fare well in a public battle.How is this battle not public?

The HOA probably would have won in court; I'm glad they didn't follow through.

Cry Havoc
12-30-2009, 02:20 PM
It's over, guys. Barfoot won. Read the entire thread. :lol

My guess is the HOA got soooooo much bad press that they decided to let it go.