PDA

View Full Version : What season of TUF made the best fighters?

cool cat
12-03-2009, 05:32 PM
When this season ended, I thought overall the fighters looked pretty weak and most won’t make it in the UFC. I started wondering which season was the best and which was the worst. So I compiled all the data, it didn’t take as long as I thought, and using some math I learned in high school I found some interesting things out. Before I start here are a few rules I put in when getting the data and a short description of why I put them in.

Note:
#1 I’m only looking for success in the UFC.
Description: I only counted UFC fights.

#2 I wanted to see how well they did after the show.
Description: Some fighters had UFC fights before the show but I didn’t count them

#3 I didn’t count the Comeback season
Description: That was more of a tournament to reward the fighter with a title fights.

#4 I didn’t count the finale shows.
Description: Most of the time the fighters were just fighting other members of the show and then would never fight in the UFC again so I decided not to count these fights. Ex. Forrest Bonner 1 did not count but Forrest Bonner 2 did count.

#5 I stopped before the USA Vs. UK season
__________________________________________________ ________
Ok now to the numbers, my data might be wrong so check it if you want.

Statistically the best season was.

#1 Season One with a win percent of 67%, with a 2.1 W/L ratio. 63 wins 30 loses.

Notable: They fought 18 fights against current or past champions. They beat 4 current or past champions, 3 by Forrest 1 by Koscheck. They had 4 title fights and one title win.

This might come as a shock

#2 Season 5 with a win percent of 67%, with a 2.07 W/L ratio.
The rest
#3 Season 7 61% 1.6 W/L
#4 Season 8 55% 1.2 W/L
#5 Season 2 53% 1.15 W/L
#6 Season 3 52% 1.09 W/L
#7 Season 6 41% .7 W/L

What I see is Season 8,2 and 3 are pretty much even but Season 6 was just bad. Season 6 has only 7 wins and 6 are by two guys.

Season 2 had the most fighters who fought in the UFC with 16 and Season 8 is 2nd with 13 fighters.

These are just stats to look at i'm not trying to prove a point that Season 5 had better fighters then Season 2 or anything like that. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Evan
12-03-2009, 06:01 PM
excellent thread...without reading any of your data I would have said 1 followed by 2 and I would still say so. The difference between days of old and now is that there was nowhere for up and coming fighters to go and the pool was narrow & focused. That no longer exists thanks to season 1 & 2 and the popularity of MMA that followed.

Why bother putting up with living in a house for 6 weeks with no TV if you can get paid in any number of countless regional orgs. Especially now that there are agents going after these guys with only a fight or two under their belt.

The talent pool is bigger and they have more place to go.

Also I would look at TUF like people do with draft classes in the NFL & NBA...these guys generally need about 3 years before we can judge a class.

dallaskd
12-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Season 1 by far...

Griffin, Bonnar, Swick, Diego, Koscheck, Florian, Quarry, Leben

Then season 2..

Stevenson, Cummo, Burkman, Guillard, Marcus Davis, Jardine, Evans, Gurgel, Whitehead

all the other season were so-so with some notable standouts (i.e. Bisping, Hammil, Nate Diaz, Bader)

ATRAIN
12-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Season 1 by far...

Griffin, Bonnar, Swick, Diego, Koscheck, Florian, Quarry, Leben

Then season 2..

Stevenson, Cummo, Burkman, Guillard, Marcus Davis, Jardine, Evans, Gurgel, Whitehead

all the other season were so-so with some notable standouts (i.e. Bisping, Hammil, Nate Diaz, Bader)

Yeah but I think as Evan said its cause its taken a few years for some of these guys to gain more experience and have more fights under your belt.