PDA

View Full Version : Spurs not yet jelled, but could still turn into force

duncan228
12-04-2009, 03:46 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/id/10472686_36_2.jpg
The Celtics flexed their defensive muscle to thwart a Spurs comeback.

Spurs not yet jelled, but could still turn into force (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/10471634/Spurs-not-yet-jelled,-but-could-still-turn-in-to-force)
by D.K. Wilson, Sports Media Exchange
Special to FOXSports.com

SAN ANTONIO - This past offseason the San Antonio Spurs realized they needed to get more height and more athletic on both ends of the court.

Last season the Spurs were the worst offensive rebounding team in the league and in the playoffs had problems scoring. To shore up these deficiencies, general manager R.C. Buford and San Antonio head coach Gregg Popovich went out and rounded up Richard Jefferson, Antonio McDyess and Keith Bogans. Then Buford drafted Pittsburgh Panthers power forward-center DeJuan Blair for Popovich.

After a miserable 4-6 beginning to 2009-10, it appeared that this season might mark the end of a 12-year run of success for Popovich and venerable center, "The Big Fundamental," Tim Duncan.

But just when the rest of the NBA though they might be rid of the Texas Triangle's toughest team, San Antonio went on a five-game winning streak to boost their record to 9-6.

However, the San Antonio Spurs amassed that recent five-game run against bottom-feeders and teams seeking a winning identity. For a team with the championship pedigree of the Spurs, games against Washington, Milwaukee Golden State, Houston and Charlotte are good for the ego.

But beyond two early divisional games against Dallas, Thursday night's nationally televised game with the Boston Celtics, a 90-83 loss, served as the new-look San Antonio Spurs' first true test of the season.

Despite the team's shaky start and national buzz surrounding the Celtics game, Popovich remained philosophical about the season so far and the meeting with Boston.

"Is the game a litmus test? Sure. But if the team happens to win tonight it doesn't mean we're going to win the championship, just like if we get blown out it isn't the end of the world."

While most teams around the league are retooling their offenses in an effort to score more points, Popovich hopes to restore some of the Spurs' defensive swagger from the team's championship years.

"While I don't think we can be as good defensively as we were a few years ago, it's important for us to be better than we have been the last two seasons," Popovich said. "It's a process, though. We have to work on it game by game and we'll see where we're at by the end of the season."

If the first half against the Celtics was any indication of the team's progress, Popovich has many sleepless nights ahead of him. Boston got any shot it wanted — so much for the added defensive presence — and the Spurs were so discombobulated offensively the Celtics exerted little effort in stopping them.

Often McDyess and Bogans were out of place with Popovich waving them into position. The on-court instructional sessions cost the Spurs precious seconds on too many possessions. The Spurs shot a paltry 40.9 percent from the floor, 2-of-9 from the free-throw line, and Boston held a comfortable 47-39 lead. If not for the subs, led by Manu Ginobili and DeJuan Blair, the deficit would have been much more.

Pregame, McDyess dropped hints about early season difficulties, the state of the team and perhaps even their future.

"This is the most difficult scheme I've been in on offense and defense," he said. "Of course, I've been in one place for so long I knew there would be an adjustment period. Everything here is so exact; every play there's so much detail."

Jefferson, who spent his entire eight-year career with the New Jersey Nets before moving to the Spurs, concurred with his new teammate.

"Of course there will be an adjustment period. The schemes here are very different, very involved. We just have to take things one game at a time. Like tonight. We want a 'W' but we also want to progress. We know it's a process. We just have to keep getting better every game and we'll see where we are at the end of the year."

Blair's relentless play inspired the Spurs subs as they mounted a fourth quarter comeback against Boston. Yet the Celtics walked away from the AT&T Arena with the victory.

After the game, Popovich intimated that he learned something new about his team and particularly the new mix of players.

"You learn about your team every game," Popovich said. "Tonight I learned that these guys have character and aren't going to hang their heads. They played hard and I applaud their tenacity for hanging in and continuing to persevere through the game — despite making some critical mental errors and missing some assignments.

"But you have to play 48 minutes and we didn't do that. We missed free throws and had too many turnovers. You can't do that against a team as good as they [the Celtics] are."

On the future of the Spurs, Popovich was a bit more circumspect.

"Hopefully we'll get better week by week," he said. "Hopefully."

Blair, who scratched out a team-high 18 points in only 21 minutes and grabbed 11 boards, understands the season is young — and it is long

"You can't win a championship in November," he said.

Wise words from a rookie.

The motto for the 2009-10 San Antonio Spurs is "Work in Progress." They are not in the same league as the NBA champs, the Los Angeles Lakers. And they have a ways to go before they can beat a team like the Celtics — or Orlando, or Denver.

But 66 games from now? The jury is out and a verdict isn't being returned any time soon.

However, if Popovich's postgame calm and cool demeanor was any indication of what he thinks his team may be come April, the rest of the Western Conference — and the league better watch out.

That "Work in Progress" sign might well turn into another San Antonio Spurs NBA Championship banner.

slick'81
12-04-2009, 03:52 AM
keep grinding sa

ezau
12-04-2009, 04:06 AM
Wise words from Blair. The kid is really mature for his age. Now that I've settled down a little bit, it's really obvious that it's going to take quite a while to get our act together. New faces mean a lot of adjustment and that's what we're going through right now. Fact is, even if we missed so many free throws and three-point shots, we're still able to keep it close. IMHO, it's all about rotation and designated plays for Jefferson and Dice. Also, I would like to see more minutes from Blair. If there's one thing that I liked about this game is that our team is stacked. I mean, our past teams will simply get blown out once we start slow. Our current team is different because we're deep in almost all positions that our starers can play like shit and we are still able to keep games close. It's just a matter of time and with that being said, I'm still very optimistic about our chances:flag:

SenorSpur
12-04-2009, 04:13 AM
No matter how much Pop hates it, he's going to have to play Blair more minutes. Especially if he's hell-bent on limiting minutes for McDyess and limiting games for Ratliff. It's a shame Ian isn't panning out. He could've offset the limited minutes for both these guys and provided much more additional rebounding, shotblockiing and interior defense along the frontline. Even at a measly 10 min per game.

mountainballer
12-04-2009, 04:16 AM
Jefferson, who spent his entire eight-year career with the New Jersey Nets before moving to the Spurs, concurred with his new teammate.

ah yes. once again great research work by FOX.

ezau
12-04-2009, 04:17 AM
I wonder what's going on with Mahinmi. It's too bad that the guy can't even contribute.

urunobili
12-04-2009, 08:21 AM
There is no way we beat the Celtics on a Finals series as of right now...

AussieFanKurt
12-04-2009, 08:22 AM
its early. lets just see how the season pans out. whatever happens, happens

spurspokesman
12-04-2009, 09:11 AM
+1 But you get ripped and called A troll because you state the obvious.

ManuTastic
12-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Wise words from Blair. The kid is really mature for his age. Now that I've settled down a little bit, it's really obvious that it's going to take quite a while to get our act together. New faces mean a lot of adjustment and that's what we're going through right now. Fact is, even if we missed so many free throws and three-point shots, we're still able to keep it close. IMHO, it's all about rotation and designated plays for Jefferson and Dice. Also, I would like to see more minutes from Blair. If there's one thing that I liked about this game is that our team is stacked. I mean, our past teams will simply get blown out once we start slow. Our current team is different because we're deep in almost all positions that our starers can play like shit and we are still able to keep games close. It's just a matter of time and with that being said, I'm still very optimistic about our chances:flag:

Ditto that. This is almost exactly what I was thinking. Truthfully, Boston should have won by 20 last night, as spectacularly terrible as the Spurs (except for Tim) played in the first quarter especially. But this year's team has more resilience because it has more good PLAYERS. Hill, Blair, Jefferson, and Dice, of course, but Finley has thankfully become effective off the bench, Mason is always a threat to score, Ratliff (who should have seen a few minutes last night against that very tall Boston team), etc. We ARE deep now, just not on track yet. It will come.

The loss last night was pretty simple: when Garnett's 17-ft jumper is on, there's not a whole lot you can do about the Celtics. Period. The defense is already busy worrying about Rondo, the Parker-like penetrator, Allen and Pierce, who can both murder you from outside, and the inside play of Perkins and KG, which is dangerous. You can't ignore any area safely. And when KG's mid-range J is falling, you can't guard that, so you've got no outs. Last night was all about KG's jumper. When it's on, C's win.

SpurNation
12-04-2009, 09:38 AM
and in the playoffs had problems scoring

This will have to become better this year. Offensively...today's nba elite teams won't be held in check as well as Spur's teams of the past were able to do. So...offensive production by the Spurs has to improve.

Here's hoping that will become a reallity. And I disagree with RJ's comment regarding the Spurs' offensive sets. It's quite vanilla compared to other teams and rather easy to defend if the 3 point shots aren't falling.

quentin_compson
12-04-2009, 10:08 AM
It wasn't all bad, as our guys were fighting and showing a lot of effort. They could have won that game, but shots weren't falling, free throws were missed and too many turnovers were produced.

What scared me a little, however, was how completely lost they looked on the offensive end, especially early on. It took us like half an hour to set up a play, and people seemed scared to take shots. Not a good sign.

Also, the supporting cast couldn't make a shot: RJ 3-13, Dice 0-3, Mase 0-3, Bonner 1-5.

dbestpro
12-04-2009, 10:13 AM
keep grinding sa

"Grinding is an excuse for taking plays off."

lefty
12-04-2009, 10:16 AM
It wasn't all bad, as our guys were fighting and showing a lot of effort. They could have won that game, but shots weren't falling, free throws were missed and too many turnovers were produced.

What scared me a little, however, was how completely lost they looked on the offensive end, especially early on. It took us like half an hour to set up a play, and people seemed scared to take shots. Not a good sign.

Also, the supporting cast couldn't make a shot: RJ 3-13, Dice 0-3, Mase 0-3, Bonner 1-5.

Exactly; we had a lot of good looks; it just didn't go in; I can live with that for FG attempts, but for FT's, it's not acceptable

Chieflion
12-04-2009, 10:19 AM
The article title has meaningless written all over it. If the Spurs did not jell yet, of course they will become a force once they jell.

Dex
12-04-2009, 10:24 AM
But if the team happens to win tonight it doesn't mean we're going to win the championship, just like if we get blown out it isn't the end of the world."

A win against this solid Celtics team would be encouraging, sure. But it's not the end of the world if we lose. And it doesn't mean we're suddenly world beaters if we win.

picc84
12-04-2009, 10:30 AM
As bad as the spurs played, the game was winnable if not for ft's.

FromWayDowntown
12-04-2009, 10:31 AM
It's early December. What I saw last night gives me more hope than panic. I saw a team that fought its guts out on the defensive end and appears to be getting better by the game on that end of the floor. I also saw a team that struggled to get open looks, and struggled to get makes when open looks were available (how many freaking shots last night rimmed out on the Spurs), that turned the ball over by carelessness or unfamiliarity, that couldn't make its free throws, and that seemingly lost out on every bounce of the ball (Blair's tip in, a number of close calls on balls that left the floor that all seemed to go Boston's way -- and almost all of which seemed to result in scores). Yet, that team hung in the game - mostly through defense and rebounding - and gave itself a chance to win the game at the end.

If you're inclined to see impending doom, I suppose last night's result could support that viewpoint; but if you're inclined to see the optimism of a work in progress, I think last night's actual game gives plenty of room for hope.

EricB
12-04-2009, 10:37 AM
It's early December. What I saw last night gives me more hope that panic. I saw a team that fought its guts out on the defensive end and appears to be getting better by the game on that end of the floor. I also saw a team that struggled to get open looks, and struggled to get makes when open looks were available (how many freaking shots last night rimmed out on the Spurs), that turned the ball over by carelessness or unfamiliarity, that couldn't make its free throws, and that seemingly lost out on every bounce of the ball (Blair's tip in, a number of close calls on balls that left the floor that all seemed to go Boston's way -- and almost all of which seemed to result in scores). Yet, that team hung in the game - mostly through defense and rebounding - and gave itself a chance to win the game at the end.

If you're inclined to see impending doom, I suppose last night's result could support that viewpoint; but if you're inclined to see the optimism of a work in progress, I think last night's actual game gives plenty of room for hope.

agreed. The defense in the second half was excellent.

TJastal
12-04-2009, 11:08 AM
I'm still not sold on Bogans being given a major starting role and minutes on the team. From what I saw, he could not defend 35 year old Ray Allen last night, having trouble with Allen's length and quick release as well as getting blown by a few times which resulted in easy layups and fouls on top of that.
It was a really bad defensive effort by Bogans, he really looked outclassed.

dbestpro
12-04-2009, 11:18 AM
To me the next step is simple. Manu was sent to the bench to provide a spark. The bench no longer needs that spark. The starting lineup is slow out of the gait. So, it is time to move Manu back to the starting lineup. Duncan, Dice, RJ, Manu and TP need to start to learn how to play together as they will be the players finishing games come play off time.
Bonner, Blair, Bogans, Finley, Theo, Hill and Mason provide more than enough bench.
Tinker with the bench rotations, Pop. You can even tinker with the 12th man, Ian, Malik and Marcus., but put the big boys in the starting line up and leave them alone. The team needs one thing form Pop right now, consistency.

spursncowboys
12-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Completely disagree. Take away sheed's two threes and it was a different outcome. 4 games, RJ and mason aren't going to miss those many shots. The Spurs in a series won't average nearly as many TOs as that. It was a good loss because they showed that they stuck it out and fought through. Besides to's, transition d needs to improve. However the passes were crisp. After the Rodeo trip they'll be where they need to be.

spursncowboys
12-04-2009, 11:31 AM
to me the next step is simple. Manu was sent to the bench to provide a spark. The bench no longer needs that spark. The starting lineup is slow out of the gait. So, it is time to move manu back to the starting lineup. Duncan, dice, rj, manu and tp need to start to learn how to play together as they will be the players finishing games come play off time.
Bonner, blair, bogans, finley, theo, hill and mason provide more than enough bench.

+1

SpurNation
12-04-2009, 11:52 AM
To me the next step is simple. Manu was sent to the bench to provide a spark. The bench no longer needs that spark. The starting lineup is slow out of the gait. So, it is time to move Manu back to the starting lineup. Duncan, Dice, RJ, Manu and TP need to start to learn how to play together as they will be the players finishing games come play off time.
Bonner, Blair, Bogans, Finley, Theo, Hill and Mason provide more than enough bench.
Tinker with the bench rotations, Pop. You can even tinker with the 12th man, Ian, Malik and Marcus., but put the big boys in the starting line up and leave them alone. The team needs one thing form Pop right now, consistency.

Don't know if that would make the difference but it's been painfully obvious the starters struggle more so than the 2nd unit right now. Especially against the better teams of the league.

Some have even suggested RJ coming off the bench with Ginobili in order to help RJ become better. Perhaps Manu starting would do that as well and give the team it's best players going against the other team's best thus not having it struggle as much as it's been struggling when playing against the better teams. That plus the fact that it seems Manu has already been able to find ways to get Jefferson positively involved more so than Parker.

A bench of Hill, Mason, Bogans, Blair and Bonner carefully integrated would still leave at any given moment between rotations a decent defense as well as offensive potential to continue any good being established by that starting unit and not make it so laboring for the team as a whole in the event of having to play catch up against better teams in the league.

Kent_in_Atlanta
12-04-2009, 01:18 PM

As of RIGHT NOW... that's absolutely right. No way in hell we beat one of the top 5 teams in a series if the playoffs start tomorrow.

Thank God they don't.

This team isn't playing anywhere NEAR its potential yet. And actually, I find that encouraging. Manu hasn't found his shooting touch yet, but in all likelihood, he will. And when Manu is Manu, that alone will make this a completely different team.

And of course, there are the well chronicled adjustments with the new guys learning their roles, and integrating into the system. It'll come. The Spurs will be among the elite 3 months from today.

cherylsteele
12-04-2009, 01:34 PM
The last 2 items are what killed the Spurs, especially the FT's. Those are gimme points and they missed 10 of them, if they make 8 more they win the game. Turnovers were do to sloppy play IMO, from everyone. Another item was the slow 1st quarter start, they dug a hole and could not get out of it.
They failed this chemistry exam, they will need to keep studying.

Bright spots:
Blair played well 11 rebs 18 pts
The Spurs actually pretty much destroyed them on the boards 55-32 and the "D" was solid escpecially in the 2nd half.

Chomag
12-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Completely disagree. Take away sheed's two threes and it was a different outcome. 4 games, RJ and mason aren't going to miss those many shots. The Spurs in a series won't average nearly as many TOs as that. It was a good loss because they showed that they stuck it out and fought through. Besides to's, transition d needs to improve. However the passes were crisp. After the Rodeo trip they'll be where they need to be.

Or you could take away Blair and the game wouldn't have even been close.

duhoh
12-04-2009, 01:48 PM
i look @ houston's season last year. they were NOT playing well around this time, but by the end of the year, they were the only team to play the eventual champs to 7. Not DEN, not ORL, but frickin HOU.

Our guys play just as hard, and they WILL figure it out.

Sobe_Kucks
12-04-2009, 02:47 PM

+1

3's weren't falling, turnovers, gave up alley oops to Garnett like it was a college rec game, freethrows were terrible, stretches of horrible execution (i.e. RJ's lazy inbounds pass that was stolen, Fin hitting a clutch 3 with his foot out of bounds etc.) and we were still in it!

I wasn't a cliff jumper but the way in which we were losing games early on was a concern. Little by little things are improving. Team defense is still not stellar but improving. Bonner and Fin have found a great home coming off the bench and team rebounding was great last night. That's a huge reason why we were still in the game. When you shoot like crap, but out rebound the other team 55 to 32 (20 off.) you have a chance, even if your shots aren't falling. This loss didn't feel so much like a loss but like an idea of where we're at. While execution is still a problem, free throws and turnovers aren't as hard to fix. Blair's best game by far and he did it while both Sheed and Garnett gaurded him. Very very impressive and perhaps enough for Pop to realize this kid needs more minutes. He may make some bone-head plays but he also will give you some wow moments, not to mention boards boards and more boards. I was mad we lost but only for a minute or so.

:flag:When is a loss not a loss? When it gives you hope.:flag:

Spursfan092120
12-04-2009, 02:48 PM
But you know what the beautiful part is? The Finals aren't starting right now.

rjv
12-04-2009, 03:27 PM
this article makes too much sense for some "fans" in this forum.

TIMMYD!
12-04-2009, 05:04 PM
We didn't play Charlotte either.

HarlemHeat37
12-04-2009, 07:10 PM
We still have a LONG way to go, even if this game was close..

I think people here are really overrating Boston..they don't look too good either, especially compared to their record..

Both teams aren't that good right now..

Allanon
12-04-2009, 07:16 PM
A team like the Thundah can put a beating on the Celtics and the Spurs right now. Both teams have been inconsistent.

The jelling is taking longer than expected and I suspect it's not going to happen without changes.

But the Spurs will improve drastically from their 9-7 record.

BillMc
12-04-2009, 07:21 PM
ah yes. once again great research work by FOX.

+1

Fox never fails to fail.

Sean Cagney
12-04-2009, 07:24 PM
This article lowered alot of expectations I had and I need to adjust and realize it's a work in progress and hopefully 66 games from now it will be a completely different story. We have a ways to go to beat LA or Boston like they said, but by the years end they could have a shot at beating those teams and thats all I ask for! I want progress to come if I am a fan now, losing to good teams here and there won't bother me as much because I will look for the positives now and see growth and be happy.

We are not used to the Spurs coming out of the gate and not being a top tier team which some favor for the title, thats nos the usual for us fans so it bothers us alot to see them struggle. Half the team is new I realize and it will take some good time to become what they want to become (Champs).

GO SPURS GO!
Or you could take away Blair and the game wouldn't have even been close.

Yep, and you could easily say take away a few threes from a player and we win, well thats every game almost you lose right? Take away one of our guys threes and we lose some games :lol:lol. That point by him saying take away Sheeds two threes and we win was an irrelevant one, you could point that out almost every game the Spurs lose.

ezau
12-04-2009, 10:04 PM

Touche!

ezau
12-04-2009, 10:06 PM
We still have a LONG way to go, even if this game was close..

I think people here are really overrating Boston..they don't look too good either, especially compared to their record..

Both teams aren't that good right now..

This is actually very true.

itzsoweezee
12-04-2009, 10:55 PM
"This is the most difficult scheme I've been in on offense and defense," he said. "Of course, I've been in one place for so long I knew there would be an adjustment period. Everything here is so exact; every play there's so much detail."

"Of course there will be an adjustment period. The schemes here are very different, very involved. We just have to take things one game at a time. Like tonight. We want a 'W' but we also want to progress. We know it's a process. We just have to keep getting better every game and we'll see where we are at the end of the year."

they'll be a much better team come playoffs