PDA

View Full Version : Let's be real

spurspokesman
12-04-2009, 08:08 AM
I waited just for this game to even voice my opinion.Our spurs as much as we dont want to admit it are not equipped to beat an elite team.
Let me start by saying that I am not one to ever throw dark clouds over my own team but I'm also not one to pull the wool over my eyes.

MAIN REASONS

1. We do not have A true center. The lakers magic celtics nuggets,cavs (major players for A title) hell even the mavs have A true center. These teams punish you in the paint. We don't.

2.We dont have A play making point guard. He's A great player but doesn't create or make the others around him better. We got away with his weak D the championship years having one of the best defensive systems known to man with bruce and d rob and duncan on the same floor behind him to help if he got beat. Speedy also backed him up and at times played exceptionally well.Many other to name but thats not the point.Now that he no longer has that luxury he is getting exposed on D but he gets A pass because he is parker. You got me there.

3. RJ is lost without the mentality of a stephen Jackson. The im going to get mine reguardless if parker cant pass mentality. RJ is A decent defender but is an offensive natured player. Another case of trying to teach an old dog new tricks. Also with tim clogging the lane and parker only looking to score for himself that leaves RJ on finley island. RJ wont be in the second unit but he sure will be better there. Sad to see people blaming him when its clearly the way the offense is set up.

4. Our interior D. Overall our on ball and rotation D looked pretty good but lobs, alleyoops, and layups killed us. It looked like A drive thru and Duncan got embarrased by KG on A few occasions where KG just blazed by him and everyone else not named blair we threw at him.

5. Ginobilli is a constant question mark. No way around it. The guy is great but undeniably frail. Best wishes to him and his health but it is still something to be considered.

My point- We suck in the paint where the games are won.

Please share you opinions and gripes. But before you do take A look at our championship years and tell me what you see. Not the greatest centers but really productive true centers that rebound, defend well, score in the block and block A shot or two. Mahinmi was supposed to be this butttt.
No crying over spilled milk but if we had this it would really open things up on both sides of the floor as teams couldnt just key in on Duncan.

My dream candidate- Marcus Camby. Only if. We are allowed to dream.

Our season will be interesting.

kace
12-04-2009, 08:13 AM
gotta love when a poster wants to point the reasons of our struggle and supposed future failure and begins in his two first points with our main forces and chances to win: 1) Tim and 2) Tony.

too bad you didn't wait longer to "voice your opinion".

Brazil
12-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Quite funny to call out our paint defense when we outrebounded the fucking celtics by 23 rebounds and Tim and Blair being the best two best players for the spurs and arguably within the top 3 of the game with KG. Just lol

spurspokesman
12-04-2009, 08:24 AM
Quite funny to call out our paint defense when we outrebounded the fucking celtics by 23 rebounds and Tim and Blair being the best two best players for the spurs and arguably within the top 3 of the game with KG. Just lol

Yup we still lost. I gave blair his props as usual. But we are just to short in the paint. They hit shots but from what I saw was layups. We are just about A jump shooting team.

Johnny RIngo
12-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Have to disagree with a few points here.

1. Duncan's been the center on the Spurs for quite a while now(He anchors the defense). The problem is that the Spurs have had a mediocre frontline to complement him the past few years. Garnett has Perkins. Gasol has Bynum. Duncan has an old McDyess, softie Bonner, and the rookie Blair. Scola and Splitter would have helped immensely but the FO dropped the ball on those players.

2. Parker's sucked this year but his defense was NOT weak in those championship years. In fact, he looked pretty damn good. Let's not try to rewrite history just because he's getting burned by the opposing pgs this year.

spurspokesman
12-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Have to disagree with a few points here.

1. Duncan's been the center on the Spurs for quite a while now(He anchors the defense). The problem is that the Spurs have had a mediocre frontline to complement him the past few years. Garnett has Perkins. Gasol has Bynum. Duncan has an old McDyess, softie Bonner, and the rookie Blair. Scola and Splitter would have helped immensely but the FO dropped the ball on those players.

2. Parker's sucked this year but his defense was NOT weak in those championship years. In fact, he looked pretty damn good. Let's not try to rewrite history just because he's getting burned by the opposing pgs this year.

Correct Ringo but he is not A center. Playing center in spurts doesn't count. He is A PF that plays C at times. All the ship years he had A true center alongside him. Parker played soft at times and really has came along way. He is getting burned because the safety blanket is off and he has to man up. This I have said for many years.

EricB
12-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Yeah the true stud centers that blocked shots in the paint like nazr Mohammed and fabricio oberto :lmao

spurspokesman
12-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Yeah the true stud centers that blocked shots in the paint like nazr Mohammed and fabricio oberto :lmao

More like D rob willis nesterovic etc. Laugh but they played better alongside timmy and timmy played better when they were here. Fixed

spurspokesman
12-04-2009, 10:55 AM
More like D rob willis nesterovic etc. Laugh but they played better alongside timmy and timmy played better when they were here. Fixed

Oh they didnt have to be studs. Just decent. Thats A testament to tim. But he can no longer shoulder the load he once did. Would you agree B.