PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs add Brown, hope for best

Kori Ellis
04-22-2005, 02:56 AM
Spurs add Brown, hope for best
Web Posted: 04/22/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042205.1D.BKNspurs.brown.1feddfa11.html

Devin Brown's season isn't over just yet. The Spurs included Brown on their playoff roster Thursday despite not knowing when, or if, he will be able to play.

Team officials debated whether to keep Brown inactive because he has yet to regain the strength in his right leg. He has not played since March 21 and likely will be sidelined at least for the start of the first-round series against Denver.

Brown's addition came at the expense of backup point guard Mike Wilks, who was left off the roster along with forwards Sean Marks and Linton Johnson III. Teams are not allowed to make roster changes for the duration of the playoffs.

Brown averaged 15 points and 5.9 rebounds in the eight games before a herniated disk in his lower back forced him onto the injured list. He also capably had defended some of the league's top perimeter scorers.

"Devin just makes our team better, if and when he's healthy," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said.

What the Spurs don't know is if or when Brown will be healthy enough to contribute. Though Brown received a pair of steroid injections, which alleviated the discomfort and inflammation, the disk injury caused him to lose much of the strength in his right leg.

Brown said the strength of his left leg tested at 300 on April12; his right leg just 65. In the week since, his right leg has improved to better than 250.

Brown's progress, while not quick, has been constant. He said he lacks explosiveness and tends to favor his right leg. But he also hopes to improve enough to play in a full-contact scrimmage within a week.

David Robinson had a similar disk injury during the 2001-02 playoffs where he lost the strength in his foot. He eventually returned, but his recovery, like that of Brown, was unpredictable enough that the team was unable to set a timetable for his return.

With Tim Duncan and Rasho Nesterovic limited by ankle sprains, Brent Barry recovering from a thigh bruise and Manu Ginobili needing any rest he can get, the Spurs are thankful they play only two games over nine days.

Nesterovic also might miss Sunday's opener. Sidelined the past six games with a sprained left ankle, he would have to show noticeable improvement in practice today and Saturday to be cleared to play.

Nazr Mohammed has played well in Nesterovic's absence, averaging 9.5 points, 11.7 rebounds and 2.8 blocks.

"I am a lot more comfortable," Mohammed said. "I still have a ways to go, but each game I got more and more used to the terminology and understood where I needed to be. I was reacting instead of thinking."

The Nuggets, meanwhile, decided against adding guard Voshon Lenard to their roster. Lenard, sidelined since tearing his left Achilles' tendon on opening night, received minutes in the final two regular-season games.

Backup forward Eduardo Najera hopes to play in the opener, despite fracturing his right hand Monday. Nuggets coach George Karl is unsure whether he will be ready.

Center Marcus Camby is expected to play Sunday after sitting out the final two games because of a strained right hamstring. In four games against the Spurs this season, he averaged 11.5 points, 10.8 rebounds and 3.8 blocks.

Since Karl became coach, the Nuggets are 28-4 with Camby in the lineup.

"I don't think we have beaten a tough team without Marcus," Karl said.

The Spurs had an equally difficult time when Duncan was sidelined. He returned for the final four games and played 20, 23, 28 and 23 minutes while shooting 43.6 percent.

Duncan admittedly has been tentative, at times, while testing his ankle. Still, coach Gregg Popovich doesn't plan to be as conservative with him Sunday.

"Come this weekend, it's playoff time," Popovich said. "He'll go whatever we need."

xcoriate
04-22-2005, 04:25 AM
The Nuggets, meanwhile, decided against adding guard Voshon Lenard to their roster. Lenard, sidelined since tearing his left Achilles' tendon on opening night, received minutes in the final two regular-season games.

Thats going to be interesting, they had a harder decision in letting Lenard back into there roster than we did IMO.

good to see Devin Brown back on the list hopefully he can get back on track quickly but should play spot minutes unless we need something special. Its not really worth risking a career.

Jimcs50
04-22-2005, 08:00 AM
It was probably that Lenard weighed over 300lbs that made the decision easier.

:)

whottt
04-22-2005, 08:22 AM
I think it was a combination of him eating up all the post game buffets and accidentally mistaking Boykins for an appetizer.

silverandblackreign
04-22-2005, 09:11 AM
Brown is on the roster because he will play....this series.

MannyIsGod
04-22-2005, 09:14 AM
Oh well, I guess the thread about Leonard is moot.

Rick Von Braun
04-22-2005, 09:19 AM
I think it was a combination of him eating up all the post game buffets and accidentally mistaking Boykins for an appetizer. :lmao

Supergirl
04-22-2005, 09:48 AM
So Spurs playoff roster has:

C: Rasho, TMass, Mohammed (1 injured)
F: Duncan, Horry, Bowen, Brown (1 injured, 1 recovering)
G: Parker, Manu, Barry, Robinson, Beno (2 recovering)

It's a good thing we're so deep, because we're going to need it.

Solid D
04-22-2005, 09:53 AM
So Spurs playoff roster has:

C: Rasho, TMass, Mohammed (1 injured)
F: Duncan, Horry, Bowen, Brown (1 injured, 1 recovering)
G: Parker, Manu, Barry, Robinson, Beno (2 recovering)

It's a good thing we're so deep, because we're going to need it.

True, except for Robinson. He'll play F and not in the backcourt.

Supergirl
04-22-2005, 09:59 AM
How has Robinson been on D? I always thought that was his liablity. Has he beeen holding up OK on D? Because if he can do that, his O might be the X-factor to our championship.

johnny00
04-22-2005, 10:56 AM
^^^^^ Robinson has been doing an adequate job.
He tends to foul more than actually defend.