PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Nuggets jump to contender status behind cast of leapers

Kori Ellis
04-22-2005, 02:57 AM
Nuggets jump to contender status behind cast of leapers
Web Posted: 04/22/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042205.1D.BKNnuggets.1feddfa96.html

No team in the regular season played at a faster pace than the Phoenix Suns.

Through the second half of the 82-game schedule, however, the Suns had to share the distinction as the NBA's fastest team with the Denver Nuggets, the Spurs' first-round playoff opponent.

In a 10-game winning streak in April that stamped them as one of the league's most dangerous teams, the Nuggets averaged 107.9 points. They have had games of 127, 122, 121, 120 and 119 points in their 40 games under coach George Karl.

"What people don't realize is that they play faster than Phoenix," Houston coach Jeff Van Gundy said of the Nuggets before the Rockets played them Saturday. "Much faster. George has been there half the year, and (before he arrived) they played slower. To now have them lead (the league) in fast-break points just shows you how fast they are playing now. They're just rolling over people."

Part of the Denver steamroller has been the frequency with which the Nuggets dunk: They had 15 in a victory at Minnesota on April 8. The Spurs were treated to a taste of it when the Nuggets, with nine dunks, beat them 102-84 in Denver on April 1.

Not all of Denver's dunks come in transition, either. Point guard Andre Miller, who averaged 10.2 assists over the Nuggets' final 13 games, has opened a lot of eyes by throwing dozens of lob passes out of the team's half-court offense in the final 20 games.

"Andre is the most creative lob thrower I've seen," Karl said. "He has thrown 60-foot lobs. I know there are guys, probably Magic Johnson, who have done it, but Andre has thrown behind-the-halfcourt line lobs for dunks. That's an incredible talent.

"We call some of the plays that produce those (lobs), but mostly it's him and Carmelo (Anthony) and him and Marcus (Camby) and him and Kenyon (Martin). When we played Minnesota (a 107-104 victory April 8) and it was close at the end, we had four layups and three dunks in the last three minutes alone.

"But we don't go for layups. We go for the jugular."

The secret to connecting with lobs for dunks, Miller said, is communication, a lot of it non-verbal.

"It's eye contact, just communication that way," said Miller, who finished No. 8 in assists at 6.9 per game. "Having some athletic players you are playing with helps, too, guys who can catch."

Anthony, Miller's primary targets for lobs, has the best hands among the Nuggets' big men. But Camby and Martin also are adept at catching Miller's passes, often fired with a lot more steam than the typical lob.

"I've never seen a group of big guys with better hands," Nuggets assistant coach Doug Moe said.

Knowing there are soft hands available to soak up his passes boosts Miller's confidence in throwing them.

"They've gotten used to me throwing the ball up there," he said, "and I've gotten used to them catching everything. These guys like to catch my lobs. They want me to throw them, and I like taking the chances you take when you do throw them."

boutons
04-22-2005, 08:02 AM
"To now have them lead (the league) in fast-break points just shows you how fast they are playing now. They're just rolling over people."

been there, done that. Remember when Jason and ArgoNets played Spurs in 03 Finals? Jason had the Nets killing teams with the fast break, plus a respectable defense, but the Spurs were well prepared, got back very quickly, and basically rendered the Nets FB ineffective.

In preparation for the Finals, I remember the Spurs telling stories that Pop would blow the whistle randomly in a scrimmage while the Spurs were running an offensive play (had the ball), they'd have to drop the ball, and get back down the court on defense.

I laughed out loud in the first quarter of the first Nets@Spurs game when I saw all the Spurs sprinting back down the court in a herd into the paint when the Nets weren't even running a break! :lol

MarshMelo is particulary aggressive in chicken-shit sneaking down the court and waiting for the long lob, rather than running the fastbreak like a Real Man. Fricking balless balla. No worry, the Spurs will stop that shit, and Bruce will shut down Melo AGAIN!

Clandestino
04-22-2005, 08:09 AM
yeah, spurs ability to not all the fb will force denver into a half-court offense and then it'll be 1 nugget trying to play 1 on 1 vs the whole spurs d... nuggets won't be scoring over 100 points..