PDA

View Full Version : Question for active or former military

word
12-04-2009, 01:47 PM
My son wants to join the Navy and enter the SEAL program. He's been talking to a recruiter and plans on joining in January but I thought you had to enter the SEAL program, via a recommendation, from the NAVY or another branch.

I wasn't aware you could just walk in off the street and enter the SEAL program.

I'm concerned that this recruiter is conning him.

What's the story here ? Am I going to have to go up to Chicago and rip the head off some shitball recruiter, because I goddamn sure will.

desflood
12-04-2009, 01:54 PM
This came from a Navy message board; someone interested in the SEAL program asked a question similar to yours:

"No there is not a way to skip bootcamp. Everyone attends bootcamp.

If the Seal contract is not being offered at the the time you enlist yes you will have to choose another job first and then you will be able to volunterr for Seals during bootcamp."

Apparently it depends upon whether or not they're currently looking for SEALs.

SAGambler
12-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Don't hold me to this. But yes, I think all you have to do is volunteer for it. Now I'm sure you would have to pass a battery of tests before you will be admitted, but I don't believe you have to be recommended for it.

to21
12-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Navy Seals Qualifications

All SEAL candidates are required to meet the following qualification standards and pass the Physical Screening Test (PST):

18-28 years old (17 with parental permission)
A U.S. citizen.
High school graduate (or meet High Performance Predictor Profile (HP3) criteria). Be proficient in reading, speaking, writing, and understanding the English language.
Have clean record - Not be under civil restraint, a substance abuser nor have a pattern of minor convictions or any non-minor, misdemeanor, or felony convictions (waivers are granted depending on number and severity). The Special Assistant for Legal Affairs must not enlist applicants with lawsuits pending against them without prior approval.
ASVAB (http://www.military.com/ASVAB) minimum requirements: SEAL - GS+MC+EI=165 or VE+MK+MC+CS=220 Since you cannot get a waiver on the required ASVAB score it is critical that you score high on the ASVAB. Check out our ASVAB Practice tests to learn how you can Ace the ASVAB (http://www.military.com/ASVAB).
Eyesight Requirements: Uncorrected vision in the better eye can be no worse than 20/70, the worse eye no more than 20/100. Both eyes must be correctable to 20/20. Color deficiencies require approval.

If you meet these qualifications a Navy Special Operations Motivator will administer the PST after you arrive at Boot Camp.

SEAL training is extremely demanding and it is not designed to "get you in shape." You must be in excellent physical condition and pass the PST before you can be considered a SEAL candidate. Stew Smith can teach you how to get and stay in SEAL shape. Visit the Fitness Center (http://www.military.com/Opinions/0,,Smith_Index,00.html) to learn more.

The following SEAL PST is designed to see if you have what it takes to enter SEAL training. To pass you must be able to complete the following regimen:
Swim 500-yards using breast and/or sidestroke in less than 12 minutes and 30 seconds
10-minute rest
Perform a minimum of 42 push-ups in 2 minutes
2-minute rest
Perform a minimum of 50 sit-ups in 2 minutes
2-minute rest
Perform a minimum of 6 pull-ups (no time limit)
10-minute rest
Run 1 ½ miles wearing TENNIS SHOES and SHORTS in under 11 minutes.*

* While at Recruit Training Center SEAL Candidates will transition to Boots and Long Pants for the Run portion of the PST. To remain qualified for the SEAL training Pipeline, the SEAL candidate must perform the 1 ½ mile run portion of the PST in Boots and Long Pants in 11:30 or less.

Once you have finished Boot Camp — if you make the cut — you will attend a two-week Apprenticeship Training Division School, with immediate assignment to BUD/S (Basic Underwater Demolition / SEAL) training.

The Navy SEAL training program will stress you beyond your limits to make sure you're worthy to serve with the world's best fighting force. Be prepared, stay focused, make mature choices, and understand what you are volunteering for. Check out the complete Navy SEAL Training program to see if you have what it takes to be a SEAL (http://specialoperations.military.com/navy-seals/training.html)

mrsmaalox
12-04-2009, 02:00 PM
This is how I understand it. First you join the Navy. As an officer or as enlisted you have to take the ASVAB test. Once in the Navy, if you have a high enough ASVAB test score, and can meet all the other requirements, then you can apply for the SEAL school. I don't think you can walk in to SEAL school right off the street, but you can probably get in pretty quick if all your prerequisites are stellar.

word
12-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Well I guess that's ok.. I went to another page and it said a recommendation was required. I told him to ask the right questions. He won't be the first to have high hopes and then find himself peeling taters off the coast of Korea. Although, being he is my only child, I would kind of prefer that anyway but I want what he wants. He won't be the first to be lied to by a recruiter. Or the last.

panic giraffe
12-04-2009, 02:17 PM
if its not on paper, its not going to happen. recruiters lie. don't sign anything until you see it clearly on paper.

word
12-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Yeah I don't think he even works out. At least not enough to qualify. Oh well, I'm not going to say anything. Some lessons in life, have to learned the hard way. This is one of those lessons.

florige
12-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Yeah I don't think he even works out. At least not enough to qualify. Oh well, I'm not going to say anything. Some lessons in life, have to learned the hard way. This is one of those lessons.

Geezus I run and work out just about everyday, and I know I would STILL probably have to hire a personal trainer to help get me into "seal shape" That 1 1/2 run IN boots and gear is pretty freaking tough!

chode_regulator
12-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Geezus I run and work out just about everyday, and I know I would STILL probably have to hire a personal trainer to help get me into "seal shape" That 1 1/2 run IN boots and gear is pretty freaking tough!

Is it boots and utes only or gear also? Just boots and utes isn't that hard if youre in decent shape.

I remember out at the rifle range the Marine ForceRecon guys were always out there doing their training. Looked pretty intense and is no joke. It doesn't just stop at BUDS, intense training all the time.
Factor in the drop rate and I would be hesitant to do it for that reason only. If he drops and ends up as an enlisted dude on a boat he is probably going to hate it. Unless he likes spending months at a time at sea on a giant steel coffin with no privacy/space.

Soul_Patch
12-04-2009, 03:31 PM
They ran a show on the Military channel for a while about BUDS (Seal Boot Camp) It is freaking intense. i would say about 90% of the people that joined, didnt make it.

florige
12-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Is it boots and utes only or gear also? Just boots and utes isn't that hard if youre in decent shape.

I thought it was boots and gear? I now run a 1'1/2 at around 13 minutes. But that is with shorts on and tennis shoes.

I remember out at the rifle range the Marine ForceRecon guys were always out there doing their training. Looked pretty intense and is no joke. It doesn't just stop at BUDS, intense training all the time.
Factor in the drop rate and I would be hesitant to do it for that reason only. If he drops and ends up as an enlisted dude on a boat he is probably going to hate it. Unless he likes spending months at a time at sea on a giant steel coffin with no privacy/space.

They ran a show on the Military channel for a while about BUDS (Seal Boot Camp) It is freaking intense. i would say about 90% of the people that joined, didnt make it.

I guess thats why it is called the elite. Actually from all I have read, the Rangers I think is the most intense of the elite armed forces units. Someone told me that they deprive you of sleep for days at a time, and you still have to be able to perform the duties. The sleep deprivation would more than likely do me in.

Heath Ledger
12-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Im former Navy and had aspirations to become a Seal at one point. I wasn an ET and SAR swimmer.

Anyway there is an asvab score requirement, vision requirement and general fitness requirement. They can pretty much guarantee a recruit a chance to take the fitness test in bootcamp to go to B.U.D.S. They cannot guarantee that you will go to B.U.D.S. but if he passes the A.S.V.A.B, vision then the pre B.U.D.S. fitness test he is pretty much assured the opportunity to go.

Becoming a Seal is more mental than physical, obviously you have to be a gifted swimmer and generally in very good physical shape but if you cannot endure the training regiment with very limited sleep then you will not make it. This is what separates the men from the boys.

I hade a billet to go to B.U.D.S. but ended up getting a NJP that ruined my billet and security clearance as an E.T.

Heath Ledger
12-04-2009, 05:09 PM

If he is not training before going in to boot camp, you need to crush his dreams now, boot camp will get him in nowhere near the shape he needs to be in to make it through B.U.D.S. if he is not a very strong swimmer this is also a no go and he should just seek another opportunity.

word
12-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Hey man, like I say, some lessons in life are learned the hard way. I've given hiim my two cents. If he doesn't qualify, he's still in the Navy, and there's a lot of opportunities for him. He's a smart kid. A dreamer, and maybe not as realistic as he should be, but he's 19. You remember being 19 don't you ? Did the world work the way you thought it did ? No. Live and learn baby. I was just outside today going to the store and it was cold and I was thinking about SEAL training and I was like, "hell, I'm out right there...'
Too cold for me.

haha...

MiamiHeat
12-04-2009, 05:36 PM
My son wants to join the Navy and enter the SEAL program. He's been talking to a recruiter and plans on joining in January but I thought you had to enter the SEAL program, via a recommendation, from the NAVY or another branch.

I wasn't aware you could just walk in off the street and enter the SEAL program.

I'm concerned that this recruiter is conning him.

What's the story here ? Am I going to have to go up to Chicago and rip the head off some shitball recruiter, because I goddamn sure will.

Tell your son to stop playing so much Call of Duty and go to college instead of the military.

You don't respawn in real life, and no point in dying for corrupt american politicians oil and military industrial complex interests.

MiamiHeat
12-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Im former Navy and had aspirations to become a Seal at one point. I wasn an ET and SAR swimmer.

Anyway there is an asvab score requirement, vision requirement and general fitness requirement. They can pretty much guarantee a recruit a chance to take the fitness test in bootcamp to go to B.U.D.S. They cannot guarantee that you will go to B.U.D.S. but if he passes the A.S.V.A.B, vision then the pre B.U.D.S. fitness test he is pretty much assured the opportunity to go.

Becoming a Seal is more mental than physical, obviously you have to be a gifted swimmer and generally in very good physical shape but if you cannot endure the training regiment with very limited sleep then you will not make it. This is what separates the men from the boys.

I hade a billet to go to B.U.D.S. but ended up getting a NJP that ruined my billet and security clearance as an E.T.

well, maybe if you didn't eat so many doughnuts and cheeseburgers you would have been able to pass the physical fitness tests

Heath Ledger
12-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Hey man, like I say, some lessons in life are learned the hard way. I've given hiim my two cents. If he doesn't qualify, he's still in the Navy, and there's a lot of opportunities for him. He's a smart kid. A dreamer, and maybe not as realistic as he should be, but he's 19. You remember being 19 don't you ? Did the world work the way you thought it did ? No. Live and learn baby. I was just outside today going to the store and it was cold and I was thinking about SEAL training and I was like, "hell, I'm out right there...'
Too cold for me.

haha...

I went into the Navy at 19. I did not pursue B.U.D.S. until I was in for 3 years and became a S.A.R. swimmer which was pretty damn intense as it was. Nothing wrong with dreaming, at his age he can prep himself when he has time, he may get in the Navy and hate it, many do, I loved it and miss it.

I screwed up and beat the living shit out of a 1st Class Radioman who slept with my girlfriend that I flew down from Michigan. He lost his Top Secret clearance, I lost my secret clearance and the skipper was pissed because he had two really over qualified janitors on his hands and he took it out on me, oh did I admit that I was drunk when it went down, they wanted to send me to ARC(alcohol rehab) for 30 days, at first I agreed but after being busted in rank, losing half months pay for 2 months 45 days of restriction and extra duty and losing my billet to B.U.D.S. (was supposed to go 6 weeks after this incident took place) my dreams and vision changed and I refused to go to ARC and they sent me home with a General discharge. End of story.

Heath Ledger
12-04-2009, 05:43 PM
well, maybe if you didn't eat so many doughnuts and cheeseburgers you would have been able to pass the physical fitness tests

I won't respond apparently you cannot read.

MiamiHeat
12-04-2009, 05:56 PM
I went into the Navy at 19. I did not pursue B.U.D.S. until I was in for 3 years and became a S.A.R. swimmer which was pretty damn intense as it was. Nothing wrong with dreaming, at his age he can prep himself when he has time, he may get in the Navy and hate it, many do, I loved it and miss it.

I screwed up and beat the living shit out of a 1st Class Radioman who slept with my girlfriend that I flew down from Michigan. He lost his Top Secret clearance, I lost my secret clearance and the skipper was pissed because he had two really over qualified janitors on his hands and he took it out on me, oh did I admit that I was drunk when it went down, they wanted to send me to ARC(alcohol rehab) for 30 days, at first I agreed but after being busted in rank, losing half months pay for 2 months 45 days of restriction and extra duty and losing my billet to B.U.D.S. (was supposed to go 6 weeks after this incident took place) my dreams and vision changed and I refused to go to ARC and they sent me home with a General discharge. End of story.

so, you flew your girlfriend to another city/state, and she randomly sleeps with a stranger?

what the f? holy shit.

"hey babez, my name is x. wanna see my cock"
"sure!"

that woman is crazy.

MiamiHeat
12-04-2009, 05:57 PM
I won't respond apparently you cannot read.

well, get out of the way so I can see. if you weren't so large, i wouldn't have to strain to see the post behind you

salad, heath. salads. eat more of them.

Heath Ledger
12-04-2009, 06:07 PM
The only thing fat about me is my DISCO STICK.

Fat Bones
12-04-2009, 07:28 PM
I remember seeing the group of glowing chem sticks bobbing off shore while stationed at North Island. That was part of the training regimen. Swimming offshore, in the cold Pacific Ocean year round and in the dark. After Hell Week, those still in the program, were allowed some time to hit the PX for various sundries...my God, they looked beat up and I've seen only one other person look as exhausted and still motivated and that was a guy in the process of achieving Diamond in Amway. It's an incredible honor to make the SEAL team and they have all my respect.

From what I've read about your son, he's not nearly prepared enough for what's expected and demanded. I hope I'm wrong.