PDA

View Full Version : Gasol stands tall among NBA’s elite

duncan228
12-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Gasol stands tall among NBA’s elite (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aq1I2r2hsph.CGO3xExGI5K8vLYF?slug=mc-afterthebuzzer120409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Marc J. Spears

The Los Angeles Lakers have the NBA’s most eccentric player starting at one forward position, a growing reality star coming off the bench and a 22-year-old center who looks like the Next Big Thing. They’re also led by Kobe Bryant, one of the NBA’s brightest stars.

Somewhere into this mix fits Pau Gasol, who just happens to rank as one of the game’s best power forwards, provided anyone has noticed. Gasol doesn’t deliver nearly as many sound bites as his teammates, but don’t expect him to complain if the spotlight has missed him.

“There are too many egos in this league,” Gasol said. “There are guys that think they are too good or this and that. When it comes down to it, it’s a matter of winning and what you can do to help your team win. That’s what it’s all about. If they recognize it, great. But if they don’t recognize it because they don’t see it, if they are more attracted to the flashiness of all the players, that’s fine, too.

“I’m aware of what I can do and what I do for my team. That’s what really counts.”

What Gasol has done is help transform the Lakers from first-round fodder into the league’s defending champions. It wasn’t until the Lakers acquired him midway through the 2007-08 season that they became legitimate title contenders. Gasol has again proven his value this season. The Lakers went 8-3 during the 11 games he missed with a hamstring injury, but never really settled into a flow. Since his return, they’ve won six straight games by an average of 17.3 points.

With Gasol back in the starting lineup, Lamar Odom has returned to the bench and given the Lakers’ reserve unit a much-needed lift. Never have the Lakers lost three consecutive games with Gasol, who is averaging 17.7 points, 10.3 rebounds and 1.5 blocks.

“Having him back in the lineup … obviously gives us another dimension,” Bryant said.

Bryant is the world’s most popular basketball player, Ron Artest said he used to drink Hennessy at halftime and Lamar Odom drew the spotlight for his express marriage to reality star Khloe Kardashian. There is also a growing fascination with young center Andrew Bynum as he develops.

Gasol? The only thing that stands out about him is his beard. What he does on the floor is often appreciated more in the box score than on highlight clips.

“He’s still underrated,” Bryant said.

As humble as Gasol might be, he is also quite confident in his game. Ask him about the game’s best power forwards, and he’ll offer a spirited debate on his own behalf. Measure the complete package – scoring, passing, rebounding, blocking shots and running the floor – and Gasol rates near the top. The fans, however, voted him just seventh among Western Conference forwards in balloting for last season’s All-Star Game. The coaches chose him as a reserve.

“I’m up there,” Gasol said. “I don’t think many people would deny me that. I’ll be happy to discuss that point. But if you look all around, statistics, even not being the main guy, no question about it I’m up there.”

Said Bryant: “Pau knows he’s a bad boy. He’s quiet, but he knows that no one can stop him down there. He’s fully aware of it. He plays with that confidence and he believes he is one of the best.”

Gasol’s accomplishments on the international stage have made the Spaniard one of his country’s biggest stars. “I’m probably one of a kind there,” he said. “Here, I’m one in a bunch.”

Looking back, Gasol’s time with the Memphis Grizzlies is a big reason why the spotlight means little to him. He was the Grizzlies’ star during the franchise’s only playoff appearances from 2004-06, but the team did not win a single postseason game in that span. Gasol was often labeled soft, and that reputation continued through his first season with the Lakers.

“It doesn’t matter how much spotlight you get or if you get any spotlight at all as far as being the main guy on one team,” Gasol said. “If it doesn’t translate to winning, it’s worthless. That’s the bottom line. Here, a lot of things that I used to do what I was in Memphis helped to raise my name and my status as a player. That’s helped the Lakers also be a better team. I don’t miss so much about being the guy.”

Allanon
12-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Have to give props to Pau. He's worked on his game and his aggression.

He's no longer tissue paper "Gasoft" like he was in Memphis.

I never thought I'd hear of the Lakers being tough:

They're so physical across the board, all the way down to Derek Fisher and Shannon Brown. They're enormous. They're just big, strong, physical guys that can really get up into you and defend you. They're just big and strong and versatile and they can really do damage with their defense. The days of questioning [L.A.'s] toughness are over."

Also a cool stat from ESPN:

Points in the Paint

Andrew Bynum (Lakers) 14.0
Andrew Bogut (Bucks) 12.7
Monta Ellis (Warriors) 12.6
Kobe Bryant (Lakers) 12.4
Pau Gasol (Lakers) 12.3

picc84
12-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Pau is more or less equal to Duncan at this point. There is absolutely nothing he doesn't do well. Pass, shoot, score in the post, rebound, man-defend, help-defend, handle the ball. Perfect triangle big in every way.

Culburn369
12-04-2009, 03:53 PM
When he's duly tested then he'll pass muster. He ain't been tested since the Celtics flunked him in '08.

InK
12-04-2009, 04:06 PM
“I’m aware of what I can do and what I do for my team."

Thats what i respect the most about him, and what makes him an even better player. I think he has got his own game figured out and knows his limitations bar none in the league. And yeh, he is more or less as good as Duncan right now.

iggypop123
12-04-2009, 04:28 PM
i dont think people can laugh anymore when people say gasol i sclose to duncan but he is not there yet. but its not like saying joe johnsons is better than kobe. its more like duncan #1pf now and gasol 1b

mattb_25
12-04-2009, 04:54 PM
i dont think people can laugh anymore when people say gasol i sclose to duncan but he is not there yet. but its not like saying joe johnsons is better than kobe. its more like duncan #1pf now and gasol 1b

I hope your fucking joking... Dirk is the top pf currently, not Duncan. Gasol is playing really good, however, he's not on dirks level.

Killakobe81
12-04-2009, 04:55 PM
I would STILL give edge to Duncan but the gap has narrowed ...I also think Dirk is there as well ...I would maybe say Gasol and Dirk battling for 2nd ...

iggypop123
12-04-2009, 04:56 PM
I hope your fucking joking... Dirk is the top pf currently, not Duncan. Gasol is playing really good, however, he's not on dirks level.

dirk is 1c same level.

Killakobe81
12-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Duncan still the best
I say
1. Duncan
2. Dirk/KG
3. Bosh or Gasol

F_U_Buddy
12-04-2009, 05:04 PM
When he's duly tested then he'll pass muster. He ain't been tested since the Celtics flunked him in '08.

question....were you knocked out in a street fight in 2008 and recently came to ..sometimes when people are knocked out and they come to...they usually repeat the last thing they saw or on their mind...News Flash it's 2009 going on 2010...Lakeshow went to their second finals (with a full squad ) in as many years and Gasol battled valiantly against Dwight and Co...and even against the thugs in Denver...

Since he's not the best forward in the game I don't think KG is the measuring stick with which to judge Gasol...KG's injury last season possibly saved him from being embarrassed by Gasol like he was during the two head to head matches last year...

But if Boston impresses you that much be my guest...

The Gemini Method
12-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Duncan still the best
I say
1. Duncan
2. Dirk/KG
3. Bosh or Gasol

Wait, you put KG before Gasol and Pau on the level of Bosh? Man, whatever it is you're smoking, drinking, snorting--I want in. That's nonsense. While you can put Duncan as the #1 he is up past any of those.

dirk4mvp
12-04-2009, 05:07 PM
rofl at Gasol on Dirk or Duncan's level.

Culburn369
12-04-2009, 05:33 PM
question....were you knocked out in a street fight in 2008 and recently came to ..sometimes when people are knocked out and they come to...they usually repeat the last thing they saw or on their mind...News Flash it's 2009 going on 2010...Lakeshow went to their second finals (with a full squad ) in as many years and Gasol battled valiantly against Dwight and Co...and even against the thugs in Denver...

Since he's not the best forward in the game I don't think KG is the measuring stick with which to judge Gasol...KG's injury last season possibly saved him from being embarrassed by Gasol like he was during the two head to head matches last year...

But if Boston impresses you that much be my guest...

Both Orlando & Denver skinned & grinned themselves to their ruination during the '09 playoffs. We tried a similar bent in the '08 Finals. We didn't skin & grin, we rolled over & looked the other way. They kicked our brains in. And they'll do us likewise if we pull the same nancy shit again. Did you see Perkins & Rondo last nite? They've no conscience. Allen neither. KG & Pierce follow them like a dogs to their own vomit. You think Kobe, et al are there? Uh, uh.

bostonguy
12-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Gasol is easily one of my favorite players in the league. I love his game. I knew the minute the Lakers got him that he would instantly fit in. He has thrived in being the #2 guy. Whoever thinks he would curl into the fetal position against Boston is fooling themselves. The 2008 finals Gasol is dead. The Gasol post 2008 finals is the one you will see against any team. He is an aggressive physical player now. He will bang down low and isn't afraid of contact.

Without Gasol, the Lakers are a good team.

With Gasol, they are a GREAT team.

bostonguy
12-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Duncan still the best
I say
1. Duncan
2. Dirk/KG
3. Bosh or Gasol

KG before Gasol? Maybe in terms of defense. Everything else I disagree with. And Gasol>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bosh.

Culburn369
12-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Whoever thinks he would curl into the fetal position against Boston is fooling themselves.

It's the last empirical evidence we have. Steppin' over Yao & Mutombo, eyeballin' Nene out at the arc, playin' hopscotch with Howard don't amount to caca.

picc84
12-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Putting Bosh equal to Pau is a joke. Bosh is a 6'11 shooting guard. Dirk may be too but at least Dirk actually is great at it. Pau >>>> Bosh.

F_U_Buddy
12-04-2009, 06:07 PM
Both Orlando & Denver skinned & grinned themselves to their ruination during the '09 playoffs. We tried a similar bent in the '08 Finals. We didn't skin & grin, we rolled over & looked the other way. They kicked our brains in. And they'll do us likewise if we pull the same nancy shit again. Did you see Perkins & Rondo last nite? They've no conscience. Allen neither. KG & Pierce follow them like a dogs to their own vomit. You think Kobe, et al are there? Uh, uh.

I'll tell you like Kobe said once..."The Lakers made it to the 08 Finals a year too early"...but there is absolutely no fear of Boston on the Lakers squad...you really think Perkins is going to punk our young Stud Bynum...Bynum will wear his ass out... see LA had no center in 2008 and we essentially replaced The Space Cadet -- VLAD with Ron Ron...so who on the Boston Creme Pie team is going to Punk Ron Ron...who's gonna punk Shannon Brown...Rondo...please when we play them this year make sure you take notes please....

Half the battle in beleiving is actually winning it all...so they're no mental hurdels for LA to jump this year....we're primed to run off another 3-4 titles...

sometimes more than half the battle is getting over the hump

Culburn369
12-04-2009, 06:12 PM
I hope fervently that I'm proven wrong.

The Gemini Method
12-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Greedy, Cul, greedy...

The guy is up there in regards to top 4s in the league no matter what we or the pundits say. Where he is remains to be subjective to whom is doing the arguing. He's an NBA champ, an Olympic medalling, and EuroBBall champion. Those credentials alone make him worthy of praise. What he does now will only either cement his legacy or maintain what he's earned right now--which is the respect as one of the better players in the L.

dallaskd
12-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Duncan has obivously had the better career of everbody, but as OF TODAY, it is no question Dirk is at the top of his game and the best PF in the game. Duncan has lost a step. Pau, Bosh, and everybody else in the NBA just arent playmakers like Dirk is. Say what you want about how Dirk is a pussy and isnt clutch... that mother fucker takes over games better than any big man in the NBA. I watch every mavs game and see it happen to often. Whens hes on.. hes fucking on.. No other PF in the game today can do that.

blink
12-04-2009, 06:32 PM
nothing like lakers dick sucking by yahoo sports. pau had better numbers before he came to LA and now they decide to call him a "winner" with their stupid catchline "He just wins."

he didnt win shit in memphis. kobe didnt win shit without shaq or gasol. it's a damn team sport, you need good players to win.

for PFs, it's:

1. dirk
1.1. pau/duncan
2. whoever else

Allanon
12-04-2009, 06:34 PM
nothing like lakers dick sucking by yahoo sports. pau had better numbers before he came to LA and now they decide to call him a "winner" with their stupid catchline "He just wins."

he didnt win shit in memphis. kobe didnt win shit without shaq or gasol. it's a damn team sport, you need good players to win.

for PFs, it's:

1. dirk
2. pau/duncan
3. whoever else

Pau brought new meaning to not winning shit in Memphis. He was 0-12 in Memphis. He's a much better player today.

We laugh at T-Mac being a first round virgin but even he won some games; Pau never won any.

dallaskd
12-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Dirk buttfucked Pau for years when he was in the same division. Only player Dirk does dirtier is Okur.

Allanon
12-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Dirk buttfucked Pau for years when he was in the same division. Only player Dirk does dirtier is Okur.

This is true and this is why he was widely known as "Gasoft".

But playing with Kobe these couple of years has turned the tables for Pau.

I've said this before, this purchased "stacked" Laker team is a myth, it was self-made from under-achievers who learned to achieve playing with Kobe.

blink
12-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Pau brought new meaning to not winning shit in Memphis. He was 0-12 in Memphis. He's a much better player today.

We laugh at T-Mac being a first round virgin but even he won some games; Pau never won any.

and you cant blame pau for losing in memphis. pau pretty much has the same game, just a different offense with much much better players.

it's just amusing that yahoo sports decided to slob on his knob now.

dirk4mvp
12-04-2009, 06:46 PM

Bonner is approaching that territory.

Culburn369
12-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Greedy, Cul, greedy...

The guy is up there in regards to top 4s in the league no matter what we or the pundits say. Where he is remains to be subjective to whom is doing the arguing. He's an NBA champ, an Olympic medalling, and EuroBBall champion. Those credentials alone make him worthy of praise. What he does now will only either cement his legacy or maintain what he's earned right now--which is the respect as one of the better players in the L.

I didn't mind copping the 15th on the cuff, or, any others that happen to fall into our laps, unobstructed. Boston though obstructed us and we went to the corner and stayed there.

When Kobe is obstructed now he get's mean mad. It's a sight. That'll serve him well if we meet up with the Celtics again in the month of June. We'll see then if he's mean mad at the point of obstruction.

badfish22
12-04-2009, 06:59 PM
1. Dirk
2. Timmy
3. KG (even though i hate him)
4. Pau

Really not a question. LMAO at lakerfans trying to put Pau up there next to Dirk and Timmy.

Culburn369
12-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Really not a question. LMAO at lakerfans trying to put Pau up there next to Dirk

Well, they both took a powder in the Finals, but, Pau let Howard lead him to the woodshed (where Dirk had self-flagellated in '06) where Bynum was waiting and they beat Howard's ass like two Jap flags, so Pau is Dirk's better.

NBAfan83
12-04-2009, 07:25 PM
For Gasol to be considered top PF currently, you should be able to put him back into that Wasteland of a team Memphis and see them make it out of the first round.

If not, then he's just a good role player.

NBAfan83
12-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Well, they both took a powder in the Finals, but, Pau let Howard lead him to the woodshed (where Dirk had self-flagellated in '06) where Bynum was waiting and they beat Howard's ass like two Jap flags, so Pau is Dirk's better.

Pau and Bynum snickered in the woodshed waiting for the short, but Bynum had to piss when he saw the Memphis team, and Gasol's mind went back to earlier losses and shed a tear, eh?

dallaskd
12-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Ive been watching Memphis quite a bit this year. I really think Marc might be better than Pau :lol

djohn2oo8
12-04-2009, 07:55 PM
lol on NBA shootaround, Avery keeps referring to Gasol as "Pau Gasoul" and that he would be a star on another team...eh

Rogue
12-04-2009, 08:06 PM
1. Dirk
2. Timmy
3. KG (even though i hate him)
4. Pau

Really not a question. LMAO at lakerfans trying to put Pau up there next to Dirk and Timmy.
sincerely you're probably the only poster here retarded enough to list KG that high, I love the prime version of him but he's done tbh. the current KG equals a younger version of McDyess at finest.

dirk4mvp
12-04-2009, 08:17 PM
lol on NBA shootaround, Avery keeps referring to Gasol as "Pau Gasoul" and that he would be a star on another team...eh

That's already been tried before. It went alright, nothing spectacular.

picc84
12-04-2009, 08:28 PM

Thats actually how you pronounce his name. Ga-soul.

ginobili's bald spot
12-04-2009, 08:53 PM
KG before Gasol? Maybe in terms of defense. Everything else I disagree with. And Gasol>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bosh.

It's pretty sad that a Celtic fan has to tell a Laker fan that. :lol Pau is much better than bosh. Dirk is #1 right now. Pau and Duncan are 2a and 2b IMO.

ginobili's bald spot
12-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Thats actually how you pronounce his name. Ga-soul.

Yup.

DrHouse
12-04-2009, 09:24 PM
At this stage in their careers I'd take Pau Gasol over Dirk any day of the week.

Pau is a better defensively in all areas. On offense he is one of the best low post players in the league and his passing skills and ability to facilitate from the post are second to none.

IMHO it is much easier to win rings with a true post presence than it is with a perimeter player.