PDA

View Full Version : Gortat’s Growing Discontent

duncan228
12-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Gortat’s Growing Discontent (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-gortatsgrowingdiscon&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

The basketball world was stunned over the summer when the Orlando Magic not only signed Brandon Bass, but also matched the Mavs’ $34 million offer sheet on Polish center Marcin Gortat. Gortat had made a name for himself in the playoffs, the Mavs desperately needed a big man who wasn’t Erick Dampier and the Magic were already spending a ton of cash. Oh, and they had Dwight Howard playing the bulk of the minutes at the five.

Gortat had no choice but to be happy about it. After all, there was every reason to believe that the Magic would make a title run again this season. Maybe Howard loomed large in the starting lineup, but after what we saw from Gortat last spring and all the money he was being paid, surely Orlando had plans to turn him into a bigger factor. Right?

So far, not exactly. Gortat’s averaging a scant five minutes per game, and while he isn’t demanding a trade, he wants the world to know that he’s feeling unhappy. From the Orlando Sentinel (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-orlando-magic-marcin-gortat-1204-20091203,0,6160313.story):

"I love the organization, but I’m not going to stay here being a back-up player and playing five minutes a game," Gortat said. "I hope people understand that. I know I can have a bigger role on another team." […]

He said he’ll likely meet with coach Stan Van Gundy after the season to discuss his future and direct his agent, Guy Zucker, to talk with general manager Otis Smith. "I really don’t think about this now. But at some point, I want to have the chance to sit down with coach Van Gundy and tell him how I feel and where I want to go with my career," Gortat said. "I’m 100 percent sure coach will understand and will do the right thing for me and the team.

Stay tuned, I guess. Retaining Gortat was a luxury and perfectly within the Magic’s rights. You’d have figured, though, that this year would’ve brought us more Gortat, so it’s understandable he’s frustrated. Presumably talking it out will make sense of it all, because it would’ve been massively weird of the team to sign two backup centers if they only planned on playing Howard. If they do end up trying to move him, though, there should be takers for a young, skilled center—like maybe the Mavs?

resistanze
12-04-2009, 04:33 PM
I still have no fucking idea why the Magic matched the Mavs' offer sheet.

Double-Up
12-04-2009, 04:35 PM
We'll take him...

mavs>spurs2
12-04-2009, 04:37 PM
they matched his offer just to play him 5 minutes a game!? sounds like a defensive move to keep the mavs from getting too strong. I think we would definately be a legit contender with him, and moving howard for a legit SG

The Franchise
12-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Really Gortat? Really?

The Gemini Method
12-04-2009, 05:07 PM
I didn't think he really made a huge name for himself. Definitely not enough to be complaining openly about his role...

mavs>spurs2
12-04-2009, 05:09 PM
I didn't think he really made a huge name for himself. Definitely not enough to be complaining openly about his role...

players who command the whole mle deserve more than 5 minutes per game. the whole situation is just stupid, i really can't blame him for being pissed. i'd probably do the same

The Gemini Method
12-04-2009, 05:13 PM
While I agree with your sentiment that he is getting paid to play more than 5 minutes, I just don't know if he is really worthy of starters' minutes like he wants and thinks he's deserving of.

Findog
12-04-2009, 05:15 PM
I still have no fucking idea why the Magic matched the Mavs' offer sheet.

Because Otis Smith is a dumbass. Also, check out how much burn Brandon Bass is getting versus what they're paying him. They were already in luxury tax territory when they matched and signed Bass.

Findog
12-04-2009, 05:17 PM
4 years, $18 million for Bass. What's he up to lately?

14 minutes against the Bobcats
6 minutes against the Zombie Sonics
9 minutes against the Bucks
2 minutes against the Knicks

Findog
12-04-2009, 05:19 PM
5 years, $34 million for Gortat. What's he been doing?

7 minutes against the Hawks
8 minutes against the Bucks
7 minutes against the Knicks
6 minutes against the Knicks

Findog
12-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Looks like they've both been getting some DNP - CDs. I'd trust Bear Sterns with my money before this dumbshit:

http://www.thirdquartercollapse.com/images/admin/20080209OtisConsider_RedHuber.jpg

NBAfan83
12-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Looks like they've both been getting some DNP - CDs. I'd trust Bear Sterns with my money before this dumbshit:

http://www.thirdquartercollapse.com/images/admin/20080209OtisConsider_RedHuber.jpg

Looks like they matched gortat for the sole reason of cockblocking mavs.

Last time bass played significant minutes, he scored 17 points in 18 minutes 7-12 shooting. Just saying.

djohn2oo8
12-04-2009, 05:25 PM
While I agree with your sentiment that he is getting paid to play more than 5 minutes, I just don't know if he is really worthy of starters' minutes like he wants and thinks he's deserving of.

Gortat, the same pussy who rejected the Rocket's offer because he didn't want the pressure of replacing Yao.:lol Thanx Gortat, we're happy with Ariza

Findog
12-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Looks like they matched gortat for the sole reason of cockblocking mavs.

No, they did it because they think he's a trade asset and they didn't want to lose him for nothing. It's calculated greed. He might get hurt, he might not do shit in his limited minutes. The Mavs were the only team willing to give him the full MLE. Any team that wants to acquire him has to be okay with taking on that contract. And he's put up a lot of 0's in his last few spot appearances.

Last time bass played significant minutes, he scored 17 points in 18 minutes 7-12 shooting. Just saying

He's not playing significant minutes on a regular basis. Since they're in the luxury tax, they're in effect paying twice for 4 years, $18 million to park his ass on the bench.

NBAfan83
12-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Gortat, the same pussy who rejected the Rocket's offer because he didn't want the pressure of replacing Yao.:lol Thanx Gortat, we're happy with Ariza

That might have been his excuse, but maybe it was because if he had gone to the rockets, he would have been playing behind yao when yao is healthy, and he would be in the same situation he is in right now.

Obviously he wants to be the starter, not a backup anymore, and not like he can slide to PF, he sucks at the 4.

NBAfan83
12-04-2009, 05:32 PM
No, they did it because they think he's a trade asset and they didn't want to lose him for nothing. It's calculated greed. He might get hurt, he might not do shit in his limited minutes. The Mavs were the only team willing to give him the full MLE. Any team that wants to acquire him has to be okay with taking on that contract. And he's put up a lot of 0's in his last few spot appearances.

He's not playing significant minutes on a regular basis. Since they're in the luxury tax, they're in effect paying twice for 4 years, $18 million to park his ass on the bench.

That may be true, but IT IS because of his limited minutes that people might overpay, or be interested in him, because let's face it, lotsa players don't show their mettle till they get 15+ minutes on a regular basis.

Hard to say that so early in the season, if Bass get's over 60 DNP's over the season then yes you could say waste of money for a bench warmer, but it's early still, wait and see what SVG does with their rotation.

Findog
12-04-2009, 05:33 PM
That may be true, but IT IS because of his limited minutes that people might overpay, or be interested in him, because let's face it, lotsa players don't show their mettle till they get 15+ minutes on a regular basis.

Nobody except Dallas was willing to pony up that money beforehand, and you would want to see a little bit more of him than in mop-up duty before committing to taking on that contract.

Hard to say that so early in the season, if Bass get's over 60 DNP's over the season then yes you could say waste of money for a bench warmer, but it's early still, wait and see what SVG does with their rotation.

He's there for injury depth. I bet Bass right about now thinks this is not what he signed up for. He got more burn in Dallas.

LOL@MavsFan
12-04-2009, 05:40 PM
they matched his offer just to play him 5 minutes a game!? sounds like a defensive move to keep the mavs from getting too strong. I think we would definately be a legit contender with him, and moving howard for a legit SG

HAHAHAHAHA....oh yeah.

Delusional Mavs fan are the best!:lol:lol

mavs>spurs2
12-04-2009, 05:41 PM
HAHAHAHAHA....oh yeah.

Delusional Mavs fan are the best!:lol:lol

were better than your shitty team without howard, why wouldn't we be better with both of those guys? :lmao

Indazone
12-04-2009, 05:50 PM
We'll take him...

We need him

mogrovejo
12-04-2009, 07:23 PM
They matched Gortat's offer sheet because at this price he's a very valuable asset in a future trade (and, obviously, a great backup center to have).

NBAfan83
12-04-2009, 07:31 PM
They matched Gortat's offer sheet because at this price he's a very valuable asset in a future trade (and, obviously, a great backup center to have).

that would be true if he hasn't looked atrocious in his limited minutes, I think people feel his dogging it, not giving it his all to force a trade from orlando. In that sense i feel there will be many takers come the trade deadline.

mogrovejo
12-04-2009, 07:35 PM
that would be true if he hasn't looked atrocious in his limited minutes, I think people feel his dogging it, not giving it his all to force a trade from orlando. In that sense i feel there will be many takers come the trade deadline.

Gortat has never hidden he was unhappy with Orlando's decision to match the offer. He said it immediately there after. It shows he's not the kind of guy who's happy collecting a salary, he really wants to play and prove himself (and not because he's going to be fighting for a new contract any time soon).

NBAfan83
12-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Gortat has never hidden he was unhappy with Orlando's decision to match the offer. He said it immediately there after. It shows he's not the kind of guy who's happy collecting a salary, he really wants to play and prove himself (and not because he's going to be fighting for a new contract any time soon).

The way I see it, Orlando wants to keep him in for depth, but if he's gonna piss and moan the whole time and only give 50% hustle and energy, their better off trading him for a piece this season to help them.

Allanon
12-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Magic did the Western Conference a favor keeping him from the Mavs.

Findog
12-04-2009, 07:47 PM
The way I see it, Orlando wants to keep him in for depth, but if he's gonna piss and moan the whole time and only give 50% hustle and energy, their better off trading him for a piece this season to help them.

Who's going to take him? Who wants him at that price? Dallas did back in July, but I don't see them lifting a finger to help Orlando now.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-04-2009, 07:50 PM
I'd take him on the Suns.

mogrovejo
12-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Plenty of teams will jump at the opportunity of getting Gortat for the MLE if he becomes available. Including Dallas.

Agreed on Orlando's best course of action NBAfan83.

The Franchise
12-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Because Otis Smith is a dumbass. Also, check out how much burn Brandon Bass is getting versus what they're paying him. They were already in luxury tax territory when they matched and signed Bass.

Well, after he signed Rashard Lewis to a 116 million I kind of figured that one out. :lol

ffadicted
12-05-2009, 05:02 PM
I'm quite happy with Gortat not developing lol

mavsfan1000
12-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Yeah the Magic should trade him. To a weak team of course. You can't expect them to trade or allow a player like that to go to one of the top teams like the mavs. It was a business move that was selfish but made sense since the Magic are also capable of winning it all.

SenorSpur
12-05-2009, 06:27 PM
When GM Otis SMith decided to match Gortat's offer, I expected that Gortat would have the same role as last season.

The Magic went to the NBA Finals and the GM decided to drastically tinker with their roster. Instead of bringing in Bass and Carter, Smith should've worked harder at keeping Hedo. Despite the fact that Howard is their best player, it was HEDO who was their best all-around player and closer.

21_Blessings
12-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Hedo doesn't play defense and isn't even half the closer Carter is.

SenorSpur
12-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Hedo doesn't play defense and isn't even half the closer Carter is.

True. However, Carter doesn't play defense either.

We'll see if the GM tinkering will result in another Finals appearance.

duhoh
12-06-2009, 12:32 AM

he didn't reject crap. dallas had a better offer

DPG21920
12-06-2009, 12:35 AM
Orlando is winning a lot right now. Why do yall care about the money they spend. The team is better than last year.