PDA

View Full Version : Blair = future of spurs?

NBAfan83
12-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Looks like, spurs got the next big piece to build on.

Also, Blair is obviously greater than Bynum by tons, and he's 2 years younger too.

IronMexican
12-04-2009, 05:22 PM
I like Blair, a lot. But he's not a franchise player. And he's not better than Bynum. Sorry.

Culburn369
12-04-2009, 05:25 PM
It'd be an exercise in futility.

NBAfan83
12-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Blair's bball IQ is off the charts, add that to already being a beast on the defensive end.

I can imagine him as a defensive minded Al Jefferson as his worst scenario.

Bynum is good, but not as good as Blair will be.

hater
12-04-2009, 05:29 PM
well he's already a better rebounder than Bynum and is already craftier around the basket. He definitely has better hands than Bynum.

but he doesn't have the size. so bad comparison.

Muser
12-04-2009, 05:29 PM
So we're fucked for the future.

JamStone
12-04-2009, 05:31 PM
I can see him as a Paul Millsap type player, which is great for a second rounder.

Once Duncan is gone, I don't see Blair being the type of big man a team can build a championship team around as the centerpiece player.

hater
12-04-2009, 05:33 PM
I can see him as a Paul Millsap type player, which is great for a second rounder.

Once Duncan is gone, I don't see Blair being the type of big man a team can build a championship team around as the centerpiece player.

yup. neither can you say that about Bynum

Culburn369
12-04-2009, 05:37 PM
So we're fucked for the future.

A "future" in the NBA is an instant when Gasol comes West.

phyzik
12-04-2009, 05:37 PM
I like Blair, but I would take Bynum over him right now. No Question.

spursfan1000
12-04-2009, 05:40 PM
He isnt our franchise guy if he can't shoot, if he can get his shooting going then maybe...and he may not have a long career because he dosen't have any ACL's.

InRareForm
12-04-2009, 05:43 PM
lol @ people already making decisions on his future when it hasn't even been 25% of the season. He doesn't even play the whole game, how can you make judgements? Let the season and his minutes play out.

EmptyMan
12-04-2009, 05:45 PM
I love Blair, I've been waiting for a player like this to come to the Spurs forever, but him being undersized will only take him so far.

Culburn369
12-04-2009, 05:48 PM
I love Blair, I've been waiting for a player like this to come to the Spurs forever, but him being undersized will only take him so far.

....and at the point the diminishing returns will be the determinant.

Indazone
12-04-2009, 05:49 PM

You mean undersized PF like Charles Barkley? I'd be more concerned that he has no ACL's

InRareForm
12-04-2009, 05:55 PM
You mean undersized PF like Charles Barkley? I'd be more concerned that he has no ACL's

Hines Ward does fine without his ACL.

Culburn369
12-04-2009, 05:56 PM
You mean undersized PF like Charles Barkley?

Yeah, that's the one.

EmptyMan
12-04-2009, 06:02 PM

Blair is no Charles Barkley.

Amarelooms
12-04-2009, 06:14 PM
lol good one :elephant

tomtom
12-04-2009, 06:26 PM
I like Blair, but I would take Bynum over him right now. No Question.

+1

Perhaps if he were a bit taller. Blair plays much smarter and with more energy but his lack of size is hard to compensate completely. Still both are very good. I think the Millsap comparison is spot on. I really like the way Blair uses his body to push people aside

Fpoonsie
12-04-2009, 06:36 PM
+1

Perhaps if he were a bit taller. Blair plays much smarter and with more energy but his lack of size is hard to compensate completely. Still both are very good. I think the Millsap comparison is spot on. I really like the way Blair uses his body to push people aside

Well said, and quoted for truthiness.

Fpoonsie
12-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Don't make too much of fat Blair. Scrub players tend to shine on scrub teams. You know, that's how Luke Walton got so much hype and a crazy contract. The fans fell in love with him when the team sucked.

You give a starving man a saltine cracker, and he'll brag like its lobster.

This team certainly hasn't gelled yet, but to label it a "scrub" team comparable to the Laker team that misses the playoffs years ago is a bit of a stretch...even for a purple and gold glasses wearing "gent" like yourself.

Culburn369
12-04-2009, 06:58 PM

:lol reminds me of that other one of your's about the poor guy and the $20 bill. How'd that go again, Luva?

NBAfan83
12-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Don't make too much of fat Blair. Scrub players tend to shine on scrub teams. You know, that's how Luke Walton got so much hype and a crazy contract. The fans fell in love with him when the team sucked.

It's "Give a starving man a saltine cracker and he'll swear it's a madeline"

fixed for culinary acceptable analogy.

Allanon
12-04-2009, 07:26 PM
If Blair is the future of the Spurs; Spurstalk will be a very quiet place.

NBAfan83
12-04-2009, 07:29 PM
If Blair is the future of the Spurs; Spurstalk will be a very quiet place.

I don't see any other possibility, Unless your counting on TP, RJ or Hill to do something.

The spurs prior to the RJ trade, have never really made any blockbuster trade, or paid big bucks for a franchise players before, I don't see them changing that philosophy. So yeah Blair is the answer.

Fpoonsie
12-04-2009, 07:42 PM
n4942-SJtjQ

6:30 in is how I originally heard the "saltine" joke. Apparently, it's a popular one.

Allanon
12-04-2009, 08:02 PM
I don't see any other possibility, Unless your counting on TP, RJ or Hill to do something.

The spurs prior to the RJ trade, have never really made any blockbuster trade, or paid big bucks for a franchise players before, I don't see them changing that philosophy. So yeah Blair is the answer.

I'm not convinced on Tony being a franchise player on a contending team but Blair's a worse option. You don't see hustle guys becoming franchise players. If Blair was 3 inches taller, you'd have a point.

Blair's a better offense, less defense version of Chuck Hayes.

If it's a current Spur as the future, it'd be Tony.

My Fault
12-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Both have talent no doubt but neither are on Duncans level where you can build a team around. If you really think otherwise then you obviously haven't been watching basketball long. Duncan in his prime was a monster not just a beast.

Danny.Zhu
12-04-2009, 10:52 PM
He is no better than Bynum, at least for now.

ezau
12-05-2009, 01:21 AM
Blair, will be a very very good role player in the league in the future. I don't see him being as versatile and as good as Sir Charles, but who knows? He's still young and he I believe he can improve his game in the future

Darthkiller
12-05-2009, 01:27 AM
lol@ people comparing blair to barkley. barkley was beastly athletic , blair doesnt even have ACLs.

Cry Havoc
12-05-2009, 01:37 AM
Blair looks AWESOME so far, but it's waaaaaaaay too early to be proclaiming that he's better than Bynum after a couple of good games.

Right now, Bynum is clearly better.

ynh
12-05-2009, 01:57 AM
I think it's been way too long sence you have had a young player play well if you guys truely believe what I read. He's a great role player.. possibly first big off the bench on a championship team. He is a better Jason Maxiell.. The guy isn't Charles Barkley.. he isn't a player you build a team around.. He is a great peice to use to build a good team.. That's great. I don't really understand why people get mad when someone says to a spurs fan that Blair will be a great energy/ bench player. He's a second round pick.. that's a complement. That's saying he's a good player. But God I can't believe in one thread I read someone say that Blair is the best rookie out there.. then make the argument that evans is only better then blair cause he gets mins... then comparing blairs mins/ and rebounds to evans (who is a pg) and saying he is better... Now someone is comparing bynum to him and barkley? jesus.. he's good but give me a break.

Indazone
12-05-2009, 02:22 AM
Nobody thought Sir Charles would be anything his rookie year either. Sir Charles was good enough to be on the US Olympic team, Bob Knight kicked him off the team cause he was too fat. He said he wanted him and was good enough but there had to be some criteria for paring the roster down. For Sir Charles, it was his weight. Both Blair and Sir Charles have roughly the same skill set. Both are undersized wide bodied power forwards that occupy a lot of space. They both have long arms and play like 7 footers. Sir Charles aka the Round Mound of Rebound avg'd 14.9 pts and 8.6 boards his rookie year.

ynh
12-05-2009, 02:40 AM
Jason maxiell has long arms and plays like a seven footer.. he is also wide bodied and a power forward that occupies a lot of space.. So should I start going back and trying to buy as many Jason Maxiell rookie cards because he's going to be Barkley.. because Barkley was the 1 out of 1000 guys that played in this league that fit that discription and ended up being one of the great players?

ynh
12-05-2009, 02:50 AM
You know Robert "Tractor" Traylor had a build like barkley too.

sabar
12-05-2009, 02:56 AM
Pretty bleak future if a second rounder with no ACLs is considered your post-Duncan successor. I mean, he is playing decently, but he's no Duncan. He's no Bynum either. He needs to get up to Millsap level first.

Who spots out talent in a second rounder a few weeks into the NBA season anyways. Especially since this was a game where he looked great. He's had lots of mediocre games. Still a rookie.

z0sa
12-05-2009, 03:00 AM
Blair has a bright future, lack of ACLs permitting. Definitely a steal, but the jury hasn't even left its seats yet.

DxB
12-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Man wtf as a fan I'd be hella annoyed if they rebuilt around blair. Im used to seeing the Duncans, manus, tp's Drob's... all the crazy players we've built around in the past.

Blair's a good player but as a fan I want the best! Can any of you see him leading us to a ring by himself? or even with tp? NO! Nuff Said.

We needa go get a crazy sg and big man for tp to work with in the future!

Darrin
12-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Looks like, spurs got the next big piece to build on.

Also, Blair is obviously greater than Bynum by tons, and he's 2 years younger too.

This reminds me of when the Rockets thought Kelvin Cato was the replacement for Hakeem Olajuwon. He's a good piece, but remember he lacks ACLs--both of them--and he might break down. Rapidly.

spursncowboys
12-05-2009, 04:12 PM
His knees won't keep him in the league longer than 4 seasons. If not that issue, he'd be the next barlkey.

ffadicted
12-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Let's just hope his legs last more then 3 years.

ynh
12-05-2009, 11:40 PM
I see the next barkley dominated tonight