PDA

View Full Version : Dexter Pittman

modtxspur
12-04-2009, 05:54 PM
This is my first thread and early to start thinking about it but what does everybody think about the spurs moving up and picking up Dexter Pittman in the draft next year. He is very young as far as basketball experience goes and has developed each year. His attitude and work ethic speaks for itself (losing over 75 pounds and down to 17% body fat from 40 something). He could sit behind Duncan and develop his game. I know he is not the same kind of player as Duncan but this is a guy who is still learning the fundamentals and who better to learn from. This is a guy who I feel in the future be a force in the league. We all know there will be a big hole to fill when Duncan retires.

temujin
12-04-2009, 05:56 PM
This is my first thread and early to start thinking about it but what does everybody think about the spurs moving up and picking up Dexter Pittman in the draft next year. He is very young as far as basketball experience goes and has developed each year. His attitude and work ethic speaks for itself (losing over 75 pounds and down to 17% body fat from 40 something). He could sit behind Duncan and develop his game. I know he is not the same kind of player as Duncan but this is a guy who is still learning the fundamentals and who better to learn from. This is a guy who I feel in the future be a force in the league. We all know there will be a big hole to fill when Duncan retires.

How about picking Ginobili's twins with the first and second picks of 2032?

mookie2001
12-04-2009, 05:57 PM
hes not "filling" that hole, but he plays in the paint and with his back to the basket, which is better than every bigman we've got, less blair and duncan

modtxspur
12-04-2009, 06:02 PM
didn't mean that he could fill the hole but maybe a low presence. I think he is slated to go mid round

kbrury
12-04-2009, 06:05 PM
didn't mean that he could fill the hole but maybe a low presence. I think he is slated to go mid round

Draft Express has him in the early second. Like Phila Ive never been really impressed by him though it looks like he is having a good season.

As of right now I like Jerome Jordan out of Tulsa as the big we might be able to get. 7 footer DX compares him to Theo Ratliff.

NFGIII
12-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Pittman never really impressed me, but I've heard nothing but good things about him so far this season. I will have a chance to see him play in person sooner or later, but the weight loss has been really good for him.

Only problem with drafting Pittman is that he likely wont play ahead of Duncan, DeJuan, McDyess or Splitter. I see those four guys being in our rotation next season pending trade or free agent signing.

The key word here. If Splitter comes and in all likelihood it seems that he will then there is no need for Pittman unless you want to stash him with the Toros for a couple of years and essentially waste a 1st rd pick at the end of the TD era. I would rather we use the 1st pick to get someone that will produce immediately, which would probably mean a trade, and worry about developing younger players once TD retires.

Once TD hangs them up we will have plenty of time to evaluate younger players as the Spurs start the rebuilding process. Hopefully it wont take as long as some teams since the Spurs do have some young pieces in place now.

kbrury
12-04-2009, 06:11 PM
The key word here. If Splitter comes and in all likelihood it seems that he will then there is no need for Pittman unless you want to stash him with the Toros for a couple of years and essentially waste a 1st rd pick at the end of the TD era. I would rather we use the 1st pick to get someone that will produce immediately, which would probably mean a trade, and worry about developing younger players once TD retires.

Once TD hangs them up we will have plenty of time to evaluate younger players as the Spurs start the rebuilding process. Hopefully it wont take as long as some teams since the Spurs do have some young pieces in place now.

late 1st round pick is not going to get anyone that can contribute above people we already have unless we decide to package a few players for someone.

NFGIII
12-04-2009, 06:23 PM
late 1st round pick is not going to get anyone that can contribute above people we already have unless we decide to package a few players for someone.

Agreed and that's what I was thinking but didn't exactly state it. Bundle the pick with some players and see who bites. Probably would be negotiated to some extent and players names will go back and forth but is a possibility. Who Pop and the FO whould go after I don't know. It would depend on Splitter making a decision and possibly Manu's health after this season. Lots of ways to take this but in the end I don't think Pittman is our answer.

kbrury
12-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Agreed and that's what I was thinking but didn't exactly state it. Bundle the pick with some players and see who bites. Probably would be negotiated to some extent and players names will go back and forth but is a possibility. Who Pop and the FO whould go after I don't know. It would depend on Splitter making a decision and possibly Manu's health after this season. Lots of ways to take this but in the end I don't think Pittman is our answer.

I think our first round pick this year will be the lowest it has been in many years so I might be inclined to keep it, yes whomever we get probably won't be able to contribute right away. But we could end up with another player with Blair and Hill like talent if not more. I don't see another trade coming at least not one more then Mason + filler.

5in10
12-05-2009, 12:40 AM
Maybe he could play for the toros bc we will already have a log jam of big guys with splitter...I say we get a wing.

Bukefal
12-05-2009, 05:48 AM
We should try to get Damion James in next years draft.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-05-2009, 01:28 PM
rofl
i will shoot myself in the face if we wasted a pick on damion james

dexter has great foot work and agility, good work ethic...but he really lacks a full repretoire of go-to moves...he'll be a first rounder on his girth alone though.

DMX7
12-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Dexter Pittman is the next Sean May. A fatty who is never going to make an impact on an NBA roster.

kbrury
12-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Im stuck in between if we should draft a wing or a big, but Im leaning towards the latter just not Pittman though lol.

I think there will be quite a few bigs aroud our pick and we might not know if Splitter signs with us until after the draft. Then what about Ian if Spurs don't keep him I think we draft another Big preferably someone tall who can block shots we can send to the Toros if he can't play right away.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-26-2010, 12:41 AM
pittman lost his scrot a few games ago