PDA

View Full Version : Hairston assigned to Toro's

phyzik
12-04-2009, 06:22 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/malik_hairston_assigned_to_austin_091204.html

December 4, 2009
Spurs Assign Malik Hairston To Austin

SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they have assigned guard Malik Hairston to the Austin Toros, the NBA Development League team owned and operated by the Spurs.
Hairston has appeared in eight games with San Antonio this season where he averaged 0.8 points in 4.1 minutes.

Last season Hairston split the year between San Antonio and Austin. In 15 games with the Spurs he averaged 3.3 points and 1.9 rebounds. In Austin, he earned All-D-League Honorable Mention after averaging 22.9 points, 5.5 rebounds and 3.7 assists in 30 games.

Hairston was selected by the Phoenix Suns with the 48th overall pick in the 2008 NBA Draft and was acquired by San Antonio in exchange for the draft rights to Goran Dragic. He spent the 2008 training camp with San Antonio where he averaged 5.3 points and 4.5 rebounds in six preseason games before being waived on 10/26.

kbrury
12-04-2009, 06:24 PM
meh...Bogans better find his 3 ball.

NFGIII
12-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Been expecting this for some time. When Manu went down and he didn't get hardly any minutes then it was almost a given he was going back to Austin. As Timvp stated in another thread he hasn't proven either way if he is an NBA player so hold on to him for insurance and maybe he improves for next year. I hope he dosen't turn into anohter Ian in that we are waiting and waiting and waiting...etc for something to happen.

:flag:

phyzik
12-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Does this open up a roster spot? :stirpot:

kbrury
12-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Does this open up a roster spot? :stirpot:

No he's still on the Spurs roster he just plays with the Toros.

panic giraffe
12-04-2009, 06:34 PM
just got the text from the spurs. so what kind of effect will this have on the roster?

SpursRulez4eVeR
12-04-2009, 06:36 PM
No he's still on the Spurs roster he just plays with the Toros.

you means he'll be on the spurs AND the toros roster at the same time???

lurker23
12-04-2009, 06:44 PM
you means he'll be on the spurs AND the toros roster at the same time???

Yes, he'll be on the Spurs 15-man roster, inactive, and playing/practicing with the Toros.

kbrury
12-04-2009, 06:46 PM
An NBA team can assign two players to the D-League while keeping them on the roster as long as they have not played more then 2 seasons in the NBA.

HarlemHeat37
12-04-2009, 06:51 PM
I don't understand the people that think Hairston was supposed to prove his worthiness in 2 extremely short stretches of basketball in rotation minutes..shit, he looked good in both stretches, especially defensively..

It sucks that he doesn't get a chance..we've already seen what energy guys can do for this team..we saw what a young energy guy can do last night, just by playing hard and tough..

Pop's standards are a little too high, and he puts out tough obstacles for guys like Hairston IMO..

old guys FTW!..

SpursRulez4eVeR
12-04-2009, 06:58 PM
I don't understand the people that think Hairston was supposed to prove his worthiness in 2 extremely short stretches of basketball in rotation minutes..shit, he looked good in both stretches, especially defensively..

It sucks that he doesn't get a chance..we've already seen what energy guys can do for this team..we saw what a young energy guy can do last night, just by playing hard and tough..

Pop's standards are a little too high, and he puts out tough obstacles for guys like Hairston IMO..

old guys FTW!..
this sucks coz we can really use malik some nights...bogans either play decent or like shit...well,so far he has only played decent when the game is already in hand and like shit when we actually need him to play decent like last night :bang

ChumpDumper
12-04-2009, 07:04 PM
This had to be expected. Malik can't play when he's on the inactive list.

The Toros still need a real power forward though.

FvckMavs
12-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Ian can't be assigned this year?

lurker23
12-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Ian can't be assigned this year?

Correct, you can only be assigned your first two seasons in the league, and this is Ian's 3rd.

ulosturedge
12-04-2009, 07:55 PM
It has nothing to do with him not proving his worth..It has to do with us just not having any minutes to give him with an already crowded backcourt. No point in having him watching games in street clothes. Better to have him continue developing his game in the meantime. If a guard or a wing gets hurt i'm sure he will be called back up. I'm sure there will be room for him next year. Bogans kind of delayed Hairston's coming out party this year.

benefactor
12-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Sucks...but I guess it's better than him sitting behind the bench. He does need to work on his ball handling, so this will give him some floor time to do that.

Chomag
12-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Sucks, but Pop will not play him no matter what especialy as long as Finely can still walk.

Maybe after we play cleveland or LA and Koby and Lebron tourch us to death as will maybe make Pop re-think that he needs to have someone that can have a chance at guard them.

Bogans allthough tuff is just to small for these guys.

team-work
12-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Totally expected. Just hope Malik can develop & stay in the long run.

I was frustrated by Pop playing Finley too much instead of young talent like Hairston but not now.

With this I hope Pop will figure out his rotations earlier this year instead of experimenting too much & confusing his players.

ChumpDumper
12-04-2009, 09:39 PM
The feed from Albuquerque is pretty poor for me, but Malik is having a crappy night so far. 1-7 from the field after 1.

pjjrfan
12-04-2009, 10:08 PM
I thought he did well in the limited minutes he got to play, but it's tough when you have a roster full of vets and your looking to win a title. I also thought he just wasn't going to get much of a chance to earn any consistent minutes.

ffadicted
12-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Good news