PDA

View Full Version : Can Bonner contribute without scoring? (Bogans as well)

z0sa
12-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Bonner's line last night (http://www.nba.com/games/20091203/BOSSAS/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore)

Last night was not the brightest moment for Bonner. He missed open looks, seemed scared and his defense got hesitant. I admit I expected more out of him, albeit the Celtics were playing pretty strong defensively.

but

Bonner did have 9 rebounds (3 off), all three were successful tapouts. He had a couple defensive strong boards as well and played the Celtics bigmen without fouling (1) or giving up easy looks. Perkins had a couple successful postups, true, but Bonner played him pretty tough throughout.

Pop played Bonner 21:41, slightly above this year's average of 20.8 MPG.

He only scored 2 points.

Can Bonner contribute without scoring?

Let's look to Bogans (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/keith_bogans/index.html?nav=page) and ask a slightly different question.

Last night, Bogans ran 5.5 less minutes than he averages on the year. He spent the majority of his time on Gray Allen. His biggest mistake was fouling him for an and 1. While his man defense was good, he missed an easy reverse and immediately got pulled about 4 minutes into the 3rd for Manu.

Can Bogans earn time without scoring?

First, why use this game as any sort of measuring stick? I'm not using it as a measuring stick for the team, surely. Just what these players bring to the table. So why should this game matter more than any other?

My answer to that question is simple: it's a healthy contending Boston Celtics team, with plenty of intriguing matchups (Bogans on Allen, Bonner on KG/Perkins) and it's the latest data we have. I don't think this game is some sort of prediction about the future, that now we have no chance; nor do I believe it was meaningless, for it surely was not.

I know one may quickly answer the thread's main two questions with "no" and "yes" without actually entertaining the thought, from either pure hatred or bias in one case, to a sense of near indifference in another or the ever popular just trade them for somebody better. You mustn't. There are reasons to ask these questions.

These players could be vital in our campaign for another title.

In order to make my point, especially concerning Bogans, I bring up a now retired spur.

Bruce Bowen: why is he not a Spur? Is it because he retired? Or is it because the Spurs didn't want him anymore while all he wanted was them? The Spurs who stopped playing him last season and playoffs. The Spurs that didn't obviously want him back. The Spurs that thought he just didn't have enough offense to supplement his defense in this changing NBA world, or even that Father Time's claw had finally grippened tight.

If Bowen had no chance with just solid D, how could Bogans? The most obvious counter-point is that Bogans is young while Bowen is old - I ask, does anyone really think he could not have played the 18 minutes Bogans is averaging? To my knowledge, little such evidence exists.

Yet now, we have little choice except entrusting Bogans to pester the Allens of the League.

So I ask: can Bonner contribute without scoring?

:flag:

z0sa
12-05-2009, 01:02 AM
I guess, despite the fact many on here argue the very opposite ( at least in Bonner's case), no one wants to take any chances.

sabar
12-05-2009, 02:44 AM
Yes, Bonner can contribute without scoring, but he has to be rebounding at a good clip to do so. Teams are still going to close out on him because his percentage is too high, so Bonner not scoring doesn't hurt as much on the offensive end. Because of his average defense though, he must rebound or he serves no purpose on D.

Bogans can earn time, but that is a bit more tricky, especially if he is being dared to shoot. If he doesn't get his FG% up, teams are just going to double whoever is hot and get off Bogans. Bowen was at least a deadly 3-pt shooter. Whether or not he can earn time also heavily depends on how the other wings perform in their scoring roles.

In theory this team should be stacked enough that we don't need these guys to score to be useful or get time. They both must remain a threat though so we don't play 4 on 5 ball. Currently Bonner has no problem with being a 3-pt threat. Bogans though does. Also, Jefferson needs to pull his weight if those two can be useful without scoring. You can only have so many players with poor offense before it hurts the team.

If Bonner isn't crashing the boards and bricking shots, take him out. If Bogans isn't hitting the side of a barn and not slowing his guy down, take him out. It's all very situational IMO. They definitely have the potential to get time or use. Check back in a month and we will have a clearer picture I think.

ElNono
12-05-2009, 02:59 AM
Hey z0sa... I just saw this thread...

My take on this is relatively simple. Guys like Bowen (and I think Pop is trying to do the same with Bogans) brought in a 'zero-sum' game. I'm not going to score, but neither is the guy I'm guarding. In that context, the Spurs lost Bowen's scoring, but the other team lost one of their best player's scoring (or at least their effectivity was greatly diminished).
Plus Bowen was good enough hitting the three that he wasn't entirely such a offensive liability that other teams felt compelled to simply leave him alone all the time.

I think Pop wants Bogans to have the same role, but obviously he's not at the same level as Bowen (at least not yet). So I think Pop has been using him more sporadically depending on how he's doing out there. If he's being effective at slowing down the other's team best player, then he'll have more time. Otherwise, he won't.

Bonner is a different type of player. Matt is an offensive weapon. If he's hitting his shots, then he's awesome, but if he's not, then it's a problem, and I'll break it down for you:

1) Rebounding is not his strength. It looks like he tries here and there, and especially this season he has improved, but he still gets beat on the defensive board a lot, and his offensive tip-outs are what I call the 'Oberto' rebounds. Sometimes they might give you a second chance, sometimes they might not. I rather have a solid, good rebounder that has the size to box out and actually grab a board.

2) He is not a good defender. He's, at best, average... and, at worst, a matchup gift that keeps on giving for the opposition. He will be used as a matchup liability against good teams. He also still makes very silly mental mistakes. Have you EVER seen him take a charge, even though he lives pretty much under the basket defensively? No. But you do see him often backing up, arms raised, fouling the offensive player and giving up an and1? Sure.

The ONLY way he can offset for this is by scoring at the other end. Sometimes he does. And when he does, a lot of people forget about these problems. When he doesn't, he's not really giving you anything else. He's actually most likely giving up points at the other end.

Matt is who he is. Against average teams that don't really have a way to exploit a weak defender in the paint, Matt can probably be serviceable and can probably play extended minutes, provided they're not killing you on the boards. It's a long season, so he'll be definitely useful in those games. Against the real good teams though, I don't think he can really help you at all unless you play him in 5 minutes stretches just to see if he happens to be shooting 50% from three point land that particular night.

Oh, and I rather have Bogans than Bonners simply because I rather have a top defensive team than an offensive juggernaut. That's all.

:toast

ElNono
12-05-2009, 03:05 AM
Talking about this... I just saw Bonner's plus/minus from last game... see why that's a trash stat for individual performance? He basically got his from Blair's play... :nope

TJastal
12-05-2009, 05:52 AM
Hell, I thought Bonner gave the team a big lift too, not as big as Blair obviously but still decent. And that was all accomplished whilst missing his only 3 shots he took from the arc. So at least in last night's game, Bonner contributed plenty even while not scoring.

Bogans on the other hand can't claim as much. He looked slow and lethargic trying to guard 35 year old Ray Allen. He had trouble keeping up and even when he was in good position to contest a shot Allen simply rose up and shot easily over him. If this is the best he can do against Allen he'll have no chance whatsoever against Kobe Bryant.

pjjrfan
12-05-2009, 09:02 AM
Well, the whole starting unit looked confused and out of sync. But both these guys have to find ways to contribute within thier roles. I think that the Boston game just showed how the Spurs still don't know their exact roles especially the starters, whereas the second unit came in and did what they've been doing the last few games, make thngs happen and especially Blair and Hill. I feel that Bonner off the bench will be big, and even though Manu was pulled late in the first half he set up Blair with some excellent opportunites, and this I think will pay divedends for Blair and the Spurs down the line.
But I do have concerns about Bogans on guys like KObe, LeBron, and Wade. And I feel like Bogans is a much better defender than Jefferson although in the Boston game jefferson did a decent job on Pierce, although he did stink up the place everywhere else.

SenorSpur
12-05-2009, 09:12 AM
They can, but in order to keep defenses honest they MUST take open shots, and more importantly HIT THOSE OPEN SHOTS.

tp2021
12-05-2009, 10:14 AM
I think the Spurs should look into not only getting a player that can spot up for 3s to space the floor for Tim, but can actually take a few dribbles and attack the basket if their shot isn't falling. I'd like for a team with championship aspirations to not have to live and die by the 3 when they should really be able to cover all the bases and be a complete team.

Chomag
12-05-2009, 10:18 AM
I think the Spurs should look into not only getting a player that can spot up for 3s to space the floor for Tim, but can actually take a few dribbles and attack the basket if their shot isn't falling. I'd like for a team with championship aspirations to not have to live and die by the 3 when they should really be able to cover all the bases and be a complete team.

I agree. However I honestly doubt that would ever happen as long as Pop has anything to say about it.

Mel_13
12-05-2009, 10:48 AM

That's a very tall order. A player who can knock down 3s at a rate high enough to space the floor and can also handle the ball well and attack the rim is a multidimensional player.

Setting aside details like contract size and availability, how many players in the NBA actually meet that description? Guys like Kobe and Durant immediately come to mind. There will be very few, if any, that meet your description and are not on either a huge contract or a rookie deal.

The Spurs have 4 very highly paid players. They were only able to add the 4th big contract by going way over the tax limit. Everyone else on the roster is paid less than the MLE. Outside of players on rookie deals, vets making less than the MLE will tend to be one dimensional players or more versatile players (like Dice) at the end of their careers.

The RJ trade was an attempt to add a player such as you describe. To be generous, let's say the results have been inconclusive.

Solid D
12-05-2009, 11:48 AM
In the question posed by z0sa, Bonner obviously provided an example of how he can contribute very effectively without scoring, but he absolutely HAS to have games like this when he isn't hitting his shot from the perimeter.

I thought Bogans worked really hard 1 on 1 and in fighting over the screens, to the point of being physically spent. Where he hurts the Spurs is when he doesn't rotate over in time on kick-outs...resulting in an easy shot. An example was when he was too focused on man but not on ball and came late to rotate on Rasheed Wallace's 3 at the end of the 3rd quarter.

The question asked brings up a similar question about Richard Jefferson. Can RJ focus on D (good job on Pierce) and contribute well without scoring? Same question for McDyess. My feeling is that at least one of Bogans, Jefferson or McDyess had better provide scoring as starters, regardless of their defensive abilities. Otherwise, Parker and Duncan will be exploited by sagging defenses.

SamoanTD
12-05-2009, 12:03 PM
bogans is not here for offense he's here for the D but when he does score its money because nobody expects to much offense from bogans.

bonner like Elnono said is not good at many different things such as D and rebounding but his offense (when he's hitting) out shines everything else.

SamoanTD
12-05-2009, 12:05 PM
but to answer your question.......
bogans yes
bonner kinda lol

TJastal
12-05-2009, 12:05 PM
In the question posed by z0sa, Bonner obviously provided an example of how he can contribute very effectively without scoring, but he absolutely HAS to have games like this when he isn't hitting his shot from the perimeter.

I thought Bogans worked really hard 1 on 1 and in fighting over the screens, to the point of being physically spent. Where he hurts the Spurs is when he doesn't rotate over in time on kick-outs...resulting in an easy shot. An example was when he was too focused on man but not on ball and came late to rotate on Rasheed Wallace's 3 at the end of the 3rd quarter.

The question asked brings up a similar question about Richard Jefferson. Can RJ focus on D (good job on Pierce) and contribute well without scoring? Same question for McDyess. My feeling is that at least one of Bogans, Jefferson or McDyess had better provide scoring as starters, regardless of their defensive abilities. Otherwise, Parker and Duncan will be exploited by sagging defenses.

I don't see why Bonner can't duplicate these types of games, where he is contributing with hustle and effort. I saw a different Bonner out there against the celtics, a more confident Bonner.

I think its the combination of being more comfortable in the 2nd unit where he is matched up against non-starters or starters who are gassed and ready to come out of the game. He and Blair both showed they can be very high energy players from the bench and I liked what I saw from both of em. They made a very good tandem.

On the other hand, Bogans' lack of length and inferior conditioning was exposed big-time by Ray Allen. I don't think he's going to be the answer for the spurs as the starting 2. His situation is almost exactly like Bonner's was when he was starting.. against top flight players they cannot cut it.

I wish the spurs would have never signed Bogans, and instead given his salary to Hairston.

ElNono
05-06-2010, 08:17 AM
bump

royal2006
05-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Hey z0sa... I just saw this thread...

My take on this is relatively simple. Guys like Bowen (and I think Pop is trying to do the same with Bogans) brought in a 'zero-sum' game. I'm not going to score, but neither is the guy I'm guarding. In that context, the Spurs lost Bowen's scoring, but the other team lost one of their best player's scoring (or at least their effectivity was greatly diminished).
Plus Bowen was good enough hitting the three that he wasn't entirely such a offensive liability that other teams felt compelled to simply leave him alone all the time.

I think Pop wants Bogans to have the same role, but obviously he's not at the same level as Bowen (at least not yet). So I think Pop has been using him more sporadically depending on how he's doing out there. If he's being effective at slowing down the other's team best player, then he'll have more time. Otherwise, he won't.

Bonner is a different type of player. Matt is an offensive weapon. If he's hitting his shots, then he's awesome, but if he's not, then it's a problem, and I'll break it down for you:

1) Rebounding is not his strength. It looks like he tries here and there, and especially this season he has improved, but he still gets beat on the defensive board a lot, and his offensive tip-outs are what I call the 'Oberto' rebounds. Sometimes they might give you a second chance, sometimes they might not. I rather have a solid, good rebounder that has the size to box out and actually grab a board.

2) He is not a good defender. He's, at best, average... and, at worst, a matchup gift that keeps on giving for the opposition. He will be used as a matchup liability against good teams. He also still makes very silly mental mistakes. Have you EVER seen him take a charge, even though he lives pretty much under the basket defensively? No. But you do see him often backing up, arms raised, fouling the offensive player and giving up an and1? Sure.

The ONLY way he can offset for this is by scoring at the other end. Sometimes he does. And when he does, a lot of people forget about these problems. When he doesn't, he's not really giving you anything else. He's actually most likely giving up points at the other end.

Matt is who he is. Against average teams that don't really have a way to exploit a weak defender in the paint, Matt can probably be serviceable and can probably play extended minutes, provided they're not killing you on the boards. It's a long season, so he'll be definitely useful in those games. Against the real good teams though, I don't think he can really help you at all unless you play him in 5 minutes stretches just to see if he happens to be shooting 50% from three point land that particular night.

Oh, and I rather have Bogans than Bonners simply because I rather have a top defensive team than an offensive juggernaut. That's all.

:toast

good strategy, but unluckily pop is not smart enough and play booner too much, i agree we should try and see by occasions but not dwell too much if he is not buying buckets

Agloco
05-06-2010, 09:31 AM
So I ask: can Bonner contribute without scoring?

Negative Ghost Rider

nkdlunch
05-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Bonner's sole purpose is to spread the floor and make 3s. So no.

z0sa
05-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Bogans we all spotted a looong time ago. He's just not good enough defensively to warrant being a complete non-factor on O. Especially if he's going to get wide open looks.

The difference between Bogans and Bonner is that Bogans was taking valuable time from Hairston and dare I say, Mason before his confidence was completely shot. The only time Bonner stole was whichever smallball-4 Pop was deliberating upon.

But I am disappointed in Bonner and deserve some crow if he doesn't get it together these next 2 games. I fully expected a big game in the PO from him by this point, especially these first two games against the Suns. I am certainly disappointed in him and his effort, but there's still time to turn it around. Bogans, not so much. He's even less talented than Bonner.

boutons_deux
05-06-2010, 09:41 AM
As timvp said, Bonner's epitaph is etched in stone: playoff choker. There's nothing there to "turn around". Bonner's a playoff loser.

The huge positive last night was Mason DNPCD.

But when Pop still plays D-leaguers like Bogans and Bonner, the Spurs simply are not competitive.

z0sa
05-06-2010, 09:42 AM
There's actually still at least 2 games for him to somewhat redeem himself. Even if he does well though, it's been etched in stone for years that spurfan shall always shit upon him.

nkdlunch
05-06-2010, 09:44 AM
There's actually still at least 2 games for him to somewhat redeem himself. Even if he does well though, it's been etched in stone for years that spurfan shall always shit upon him.

he deserves all criticism and more. He is a weak minded pussy ass choker.

You will get your wish i am sure Pop will play him game 3 at least and hope the home crowd will get him going.

I predict he will contribute with 3s game 3 and 4.

but back to phoenix and he will turn into the same old pussy

lefty
05-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Bonner can't contribute in any aspect of the game:

- can't hit open shots anymore
- can't jump
- can't rebound
- can't play D

On top of that, Suns had a 9-0 run at the end of the 3rd and he was on the court
We lost by 8 pts

Coincidence? I think not

But hey, he can contribute in practice and play the role of Amare Stoudemaire, to make sure Duncan is ready for games 3 and 4 :lol

Agloco
05-06-2010, 09:48 AM
As timvp said, Bonner's epitaph is etched in stone: playoff choker. There's nothing there to "turn around". Bonner's a playoff loser.

The huge positive last night was Mason DNPCD.

But when Pop still plays D-leaguers like Bogans and Bonner, the Spurs simply are not competitive.

This is perhaps the shittiest part of the equation. Everyone agrees that the Spurs are struggling from 3, yet the best pure shooter on the team gets applauded for having sat the entire game. And people ride the other primary 3 point threat out of town because he develops a case of blueball when the playoffs arrive.

What the hell does that say about this team? Not much.

Think about it......Right now the difference in this series? Dudley+Frye >>>>>>> Mason+Bonner

Agloco
05-06-2010, 09:50 AM
bonner can't contribute in any aspect of the game:

- can't hit open shots anymore
- can't jump
- can't rebound
- can't play d

on top of that, suns had a 9-0 run at the end of the 3rd and he was on the court
we lost by 8 pts

coincidence? I think not

but hey, he can contribute in practice and play the role of amare stoudemaire, to make sure duncan is ready for games 3 and 4 :lol

o'rly?

z0sa
05-06-2010, 09:51 AM
If Tim, Dyess, Bonner, and every other person guarding Frye decides to run him off the 3 point line next time, he won't do shit. Just gotta run at him instead of play conservatively when he gets screens.

Bonner is the better player of Frye and he. He just needs to calm himself down and knock it in like we all know he can.

As for Mason, I put much blame on Pop for playing Bogans all season for essentially no reason. We need shooting, not Bogans hit-or-miss D.

lefty
05-06-2010, 09:51 AM
o'rly?
o'rly

nkdlunch
05-06-2010, 09:54 AM
If Tim, Dyess, Bonner, and every other person guarding Frye decides to run him off the 3 point line next time, he won't do shit. Just gotta run at him instead of play conservatively when he gets screens.

agree

Bonner is the better player of Frye and he. He just needs to calm himself down and knock it in like we all know he can.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

As for Mason, I put much blame on Pop for playing Bogans all season for essentially no reason. We need shooting, not Bogans hit-or-miss D.

did you miss the season? Spurs would not have made the playoffs if Pop had played Mason more. Mason has been sucking dick since November

BadOdor
05-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Bonner is the better player of Frye and he.

Lol@Zosa

z0sa
05-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Bonner and Frye's stats, at least career/regular season, are comparable.

BadOdor
05-06-2010, 10:17 AM

Too bad Bonner's balls shrivel in the playoffs though.

Good regular season player, I'll give you that.

z0sa
05-06-2010, 10:22 AM
We'll see how big Frye and Bonner's respective balls are now that the series is shifting to SA.

BadOdor
05-06-2010, 10:25 AM
We'll see how big Frye and Bonner's respective balls are now that the series is shifting to SA.

How did Bonner do in SA last playoffs?

z0sa
05-06-2010, 10:26 AM
How did Bonner do in SA last playoffs?

Horrible on average, but the one game he did do well was the one game the Spurs won - and by double digits.

BadOdor
05-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Horrible

Thanks for playing.

z0sa
05-06-2010, 10:27 AM
The one game we won he did well.

Thanks for playing

BadOdor
05-06-2010, 10:30 AM
The one game we won he did well.

Thanks for playing

So that's 1 good game out of 5?

That makes sense considering he shot 21% last playoffs.

Lol.

z0sa
05-06-2010, 10:30 AM
So that's 1 good game out of 5?

That makes sense considering he shot 21% last playoffs.

Lol.

We didn't play 5 in SA.

Try to keep up with your own inquiries. Or at least understand basic NBA playoff scheduling.

m33p0
05-06-2010, 10:32 AM

http://www.synchronium.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/cat-macro-wasted.jpg

even if he can manage to calm himself down... Frye is still the better defender and at least doesn't think he's a shooting guard that can just put the ball on the floor and beat everyone off the dribble.

BadOdor
05-06-2010, 10:33 AM
We didn't play 5 in SA.

Try to keep up with your own inquiries. Or at least understand basic NBA playoff scheduling.

So your only hope at this point is that Bonner doesn't chock as hard at home?

Pretty low expectation brah, no?

MannyIsGod
05-06-2010, 10:35 AM
It doesn't matter if he can contribute when not scoring because the Spur absolutely need him to space the floor and if he can't hit a wide open shot then he's not filling the needed role.

Its like a car engine. If your fuel injectors aren't working properly you can't just say "but they'll help me steer!!" because then who the fuck is going to inject the fuel?

BadOdor
Oh hey Bra, turns out Bonner has increased his 3point FG% from 0.23% last year to 0.25% this year. Pretty good, no?

z0sa
Bonner should just shoot his open shots, I agree.

But there's no reason to dog his inbetween game, which he has vastly improved upon and is the main reason I say he's a better player than Frye. Frye is truly a one trick pony while Bonner can still hurt if you force him off the 3pt line.

Problem is, Bonner seemed nervous about shooting and looked more comfortable driving off a kickout. I don't like or support that Bonner and he needs to balls up and shoot his open shots.

About the defense, Frye is slightly better but he's also a different player physically. He doesn't have the footspeed Bonner does to guard pick and rolls well, but he's better in the post.

MannyIsGod
05-06-2010, 10:36 AM

Yeah well career stats mean shit when one of them isn't shitting his pants every time he gets an open shot.

MannyIsGod
05-06-2010, 10:37 AM

But there's no reason to dog his inbetween game, which he has vastly improved upon and is the main reason I say he's a better player than Frye. Frye is truly a one trick pony while Bonner can still hurt if you force him off the 3pt line.

Problem is, Bonner seemed nervous about shooting and looked more comfortable driving off a kickout. I don't like or support that Bonner and he needs to balls up and shoot his open shots.

About the defense, Frye is slightly better but he's also a different player physically. He doesn't have the footspeed Bonner does to guard pick and rolls well, but he's better in the post.

Don't you get that none of that matters? We NEED Bonner to be a one trick pony!

He HAS to hit shots for this team or he's not doing what he needs to do.

cheguevara
05-06-2010, 10:37 AM

Bonner inbetween game is shit and defense is fucking pathetic. stop smoking crack

Frye >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bonner

is not even close. Jesus! :bang

z0sa
05-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Don't you get that none of that matters?

I'm debating channing frye over Bonner

BadOdor
05-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Frye is truly a one trick pony while Bonner can still hurt if you force him off the 3pt line.

Yeah, Bonner was really hurting the suns with his rebounding, defense and hust.....oh wait.......

Nvm.

z0sa
05-06-2010, 10:39 AM
:lol @ people overrating Frye just to make Bonner seem like less of a player. Dude is already sucking dick clearly, you don't need to build up Frye to make your case.

MannyIsGod
05-06-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm debating channing frye over Bonner

Yeah, I got that. I'll take a one trick pony who shoots his 3s over Bonner because a one trick pony is better for the system.

cheguevara
05-06-2010, 10:40 AM
shit if we put Frye in the 2003-2005 Suns instead of say... Diaw and they smoke us

MannyIsGod
05-06-2010, 10:41 AM
:lol @ people overrating Frye just to make Bonner seem like less of a player. Dude is already sucking dick clearly, you don't need to build up Frye to make your case.

Uh, no one is overrating Frye.

If Frye and Bonner switch spots last night the Spurs win. Bottom line.

z0sa
05-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I got that. I'll take a one trick pony who shoots his 3s over Bonner because a one trick pony is better for the system.

That's great, don't you get that I'm not arguing about what Bonner needs to do as I've already laid my opinion out on that, don't you get that I'm arguing Bonner over Frye?

Why do you think you can moderate whether or not I debate Bonner > frye?

cheguevara
Frye is truly a one trick pony while Bonner can still hurt if you force him off the 3pt line.

what????

:lmao

Frye is a little more than a 1 trick pony, he is holding his own vs. Duncan 1-1

Bonner is a zero trick pony

m33p0
Bonner should just sit the rest of the playoffs out. we can't wait for him to suddenly find his groove. give his minutes to those who actually do more than shoot jump shots. someone like McDyes, who, by now should have already earned more minutes to begin with.

/discussion

MannyIsGod
05-06-2010, 10:43 AM
:lol

Debate all you want. I'm just not sure why you're on that topic unless you're striving for yet another thread where everyone thinks your wrong.

Jesus you're good at those threads. Grats.

z0sa
05-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Uh, no one is overrating Frye.

:lol Frye is not >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anyone in the NBA. Period. He's not >>>>>>>> a D-League player.

If Frye and Bonner switch spots last night the Spurs win. Bottom line.

I love these unfounded claims of yours. If you switched Frye's statline with Bonner, we win. Switching the actual bodies might not work so surely.

cheguevara
05-06-2010, 10:44 AM
here is what Bonner brings to the table without scoring:

pain and anguish

rjv
05-06-2010, 10:44 AM
i have given up on bonner.

ElNono
05-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Bonner > Frye if:
A) It's the regular season
B) We're playing the Timberwolves
C) We're up 20 points

m33p0
05-06-2010, 10:47 AM
bonner was put on the game late with 2 specific instructions to follow:
1. shoot 3 pointers
2. guard frye

he failed in both.

z0sa

Debate all you want. I'm just not sure why you're on that topic unless you're striving for yet another thread where everyone thinks your wrong.

Jesus you're good at those threads. Grats.

I don't care about how small of a minority I am in. Someone like you, who is easily offended by other's opinions, would never understand.

The sooner you ignore me, the sooner you'll avoid reading my posts.

MannyIsGod
I love these unfounded claims of yours. If you switched Frye's statline with Bonner, we win. Switching the actual bodies might not work so surely.

The fuck?

You're like the Bonner of Spurstalk.

BadOdor
05-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Zosa = Bonner imho?

MannyIsGod
05-06-2010, 10:48 AM
I don't care about how small of a minority I am in. Someone like you, who is easily offended by other's opinions, would never understand.

The sooner you ignore me, the sooner you'll avoid reading my posts.

I'm not offended by your opinions. I'm entertained. Why would I want to ignore you? You're like the endless entertainment.

I'd imagine that the feeling I get when you post is similar to the feeling Suns fan gets when Bonner has an open 3.

z0sa
05-06-2010, 10:52 AM

I'm not offended by your opinions. I'm entertained. Why would I want to ignore you? You're like the endless entertainment.

I'd imagine that the feeling I get when you post is similar to the feeling Suns fan gets when Bonner has an open 3.

:sleep then leave me the fuck alone.

lefty
05-06-2010, 10:52 AM
If Bonner and Frye had a baby together, that's what he would look like:

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/jamesvalue/downloads/futurama/fry.jpg

MannyIsGod
05-06-2010, 10:54 AM
:sleep then leave me the fuck alone.

Uh, did i force you to reply to me?

z0sa
05-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Uh, did i force you to reply to me?

Did i force you to reply to me first? :lol

z0sa
05-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Yeah well career stats mean shit when one of them isn't shitting his pants every time he gets an open shot.

Don't you get that none of that matters? We NEED Bonner to be a one trick pony!

He HAS to hit shots for this team or he's not doing what he needs to do.

I guess you forgot about these.

cheguevara
05-06-2010, 10:57 AM
http://communitynotices.ca/notices/notice35384/images/kullobonner.jpg

zosa is the one on the left

MannyIsGod
05-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Did i force you to reply to me first? :lol

Am I the one telling you to leave me alone? You're the one crying like a certain ginger Spurs player.

Are you really this retarded? Question is rhetorical, I already know the answer.

z0sa
05-06-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm not related to Matt Bonner in any way.

z0sa
05-06-2010, 11:03 AM
:lol nice back pedal. You think my posts are so stupid yet you're willing to reply to more than one.

Again, as soon as you ignore me you'll be rid of the horror of being tempted to respond over and over.

MannyIsGod
05-06-2010, 11:05 AM
I seriously have no idea how the logic in your head works. The fact that I reply to your idiocy means its not idiocy? Matt Bonner is better than Channing Frye?

z0sa
05-06-2010, 11:08 AM
I seriously have no idea how the logic in your head works. The fact that I reply to your idiocy means its not idiocy? Matt Bonner is better than Channing Frye?

I just don't understand your position, actually. You call me a moron and an idiot all the time yet take time out to actually respond to my takes.

What am I supposed to say? There is no logic I'm operating on when it comes to human relations, because humans are illogical. I don't know why you find my opinions so insulting, for example, but you very clearly do or you would just ignore me.

I don't even have anything against you. Hopefully you have a nice day, other than berating me aimlessly/Spurs losing last night.

BadOdor
05-06-2010, 11:10 AM
zosa = mrs.bonner imho.

MannyIsGod
05-06-2010, 11:13 AM
I just don't understand your position, actually. You call me a moron and an idiot all the time yet take time out to actually respond to my takes.

I told you in this thread. Its really pretty simple.

What am I supposed to say? There is no logic I'm operating on when it comes to human relations, because humans are illogical. I don't know why you find my opinions so insulting, for example, but you very clearly do or you would just ignore me.

This we know.

Once again, I don't find your opinions insulting. Have you ever seen me post something along the lines of "Wow I'm insulted by how retarded Zosa is?". No, you haven't. Usually you see me post something along the lines of "Wow, I'm amazed and amused by how retarded Zosa is".

I don't even have anything against you. Hopefully you have a nice day, other than berating me aimlessly/Spurs losing last night.

What do you mean other than? I'll have a nice morning because I'm berating you.

I shoudln't be, but I'm am rather amazed at how clueless you are. Insulted by your opinions? The fuck?

z0sa
05-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Picking and bolding half sentences from my post doesn't make you clever.

MannyIsGod
05-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Remember that time you said you were not very trollable?

z0sa
05-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Remember that time you said you were not very trollable?

No.

objective
05-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Bonner's 'one game' in last year's playoffs was complete fool's gold and that's been clear for over a year.

He didn't hit a single shot in that game until Tony Parker singlehandedly got the Spurs a double digit lead. Only after the Spurs were up comfortably did Bonner unshrivel enough to pile on.

NFGIII
05-06-2010, 02:22 PM
They can, but in order to keep defenses honest they MUST take open shots, and more importantly HIT THOSE OPEN SHOTS.

Absolutely. Especially Bonner. His sole purpose for being here is to spread the floor by hitting 3s. IF he does that then TD had toe room to operate. When Bonner doesn't hit then the other team will sag on TD and make life more dificult of him.

But I am disappointed in Bonner and deserve some crow if he doesn't get it together these next 2 games. I fully expected a big game in the PO from him by this point, especially these first two games against the Suns. I am certainly disappointed in him and his effort, but there's still time to turn it around. Bogans, not so much. He's even less talented than Bonner.

You would think that he is due a good game by now. Odds are that he can't continue indefinitely this streak but that's the funny thing about probability. Though the probability of his streak ending goes up with each game he shoots this poorly the fact remains that with each shot there is a 50/50 chance of it going in or not.

Bonner is a great shooter. In practice he makes almost every shot, even Jalen Rose today on ESPN's First Take said this, and during the regular season he was an invaluable 2nd team player. Come PO time he has completely become MIA. Mentally not tough enough to withstand the pressure. IMHO

My feelings are that this is in his head and he can't get it out. Not as bad as RMJ but getting there.

flacura
05-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Matt Bonner does not exist, he can not play in DLeague, I can not understand why he is playing in the NBA, like Mason and Bogans

Matt Bonner can not play here in the Argentinean League, here he will bench the hole game :nope

HarlemHeat37
05-06-2010, 10:02 PM
shit if we put Frye in the 2003-2005 Suns instead of say... Diaw and they smoke us

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

Mr Bones
05-06-2010, 11:23 PM
The interesting thing is that Frye has been considered soft on the defensive end in the past but had 74 blocks this season in 2190 minutes. Bonner had 24 blocks in 1160 minutes. I think the main problem with Bonner is simply that no opposing player has any fear of him whatsoever as a defender of the paint, and rightly so. If Bonner had as many blocks as Frye did this year it would represent-- by far-- the best season of his career for that stat.

Big P
05-06-2010, 11:51 PM
Contribute? If you call running around like a dumb shit contributing..I guess, but we won't win with them getting a lot of minutes.

WeNeedLength
05-07-2010, 12:53 AM
The interesting thing is that Frye has been considered soft on the defensive end in the past but had 74 blocks this season in 2190 minutes. Bonner had 24 blocks in 1160 minutes. I think the main problem with Bonner is simply that no opposing player has any fear of him whatsoever as a defender of the paint, and rightly so. If Bonner had as many blocks as Frye did this year it would represent-- by far-- the best season of his career for that stat.

This clearly shows that Mr. Bonner is Charmin Ultra, while Frye is just HEB brand toilet paper - not as soft but still soft as fuck.

kaji157
05-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Pop should give a really good argument to help me understand who on the spurs suppoused that Old Bruce was not able to contribute the way Bogans and Mason have.
Right now, having Bruce 3pt shooting would be lightyears better than Mason.