PDA

View Full Version : JVG: Gasol is currently they second best PF in the game behind Dirk

Tacker
12-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Discuss

djohn2oo8
12-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Then Mark Jackson goes : "There are no flaws in Gasol's game except for the question of being soft"

BUMP
12-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Close but I still gotta put Duncan>Gasol.

I mean if Duncan and Kobe were on the same team, even at Tim's age, they might as well cancel the season. Gasol is still 2nd fiddle

pauls931
12-04-2009, 10:51 PM
you're currently the 2nd worst troll behind that steve jobs clown.

Xevious
12-05-2009, 05:53 AM
Are we really still considering Duncan a PF? He's the center. In fact, he's the only center the Spurs have on their active roster. I don't care if they still label him a forward.

21_Blessings
12-05-2009, 06:35 AM
Pau's defense while not amazing, is very underrated and has improved. That needs to be respected and inserted into the Dirk v Pau argument.

remingtonbo2001
12-05-2009, 10:02 AM
:lmao

ploto
12-05-2009, 10:06 AM
A lot of people look at TD as a center.

Rummpd
12-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Ok then Garnett is still better than Gasol as well.

monosylab1k
12-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Pau's defense while not amazing, is very underrated and has improved. That needs to be respected and inserted into the Dirk v Pau argument.

Either way, Dirk's defense is still better.

JamStone
12-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Agree with the comment, because as a few have already stated, Tim Duncan is a center. And if Duncan were still a PF, Gasol would be third, but not far behind the top two of Dirk and Tim. At this point, I don't think KG is better than Gasol anymore, but I suppose it's close.

Findog
12-05-2009, 11:26 AM

So has Dirk's.

21_Blessings
12-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Either way, Dirk's defense is still better.

Better than Gasol? You're delusional.

Fucking Zach Randolph beasted Dirk last night.

Findog
12-05-2009, 11:34 AM

Dirk's D has vastly improved from the Nelson years. He's always in the right spot, his rotations are good, he contests shots now and even makes a play now and then. I wouldn't confuse him with Kevin Garnett or Bill Russell, but I wouldn't describe him as a liability either. On balance, Dirk is a better player than Pau. Perhaps Pau is a better fit on the Lakers with his post game, but as a #1 option, Dirk is better.

21_Blessings
12-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Gasol is a superior defender. By a pretty hefty margin though.

Dirk is a better number 1 option but I still don't see Dirk winning a title as a number 1 option. If you want a first option that shoots/scores like a shooting guard and grabs defensive rebounds you get Dirk. If you want a consistent low-post threat that scores like a big man should with above average defense then you go with Gasol.

Findog
12-05-2009, 11:42 AM

That's fine if you think that, but I get pretty irritated when people say Dirk plays no D. He has the same kind of work ethic as Kobe, you can't keep him out of the gym, and it's something that has vastly improved. He's a way more complete player than he was under Nelson.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-05-2009, 11:44 AM
IMO Dirk is a slightly above average defender while Gasol is a good defender. The Lakers improved pick and roll D is mostly cause of Gasol. Either way Dirk > Gasol overall.

Indazone
12-05-2009, 11:44 AM
How about nobody gives a crap what JVG says?

Findog
12-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Dirk is a better number 1 option but I still don't see Dirk winning a title as a number 1 option. If you want a first option that shoots/scores like a shooting guard and grabs defensive rebounds you get Dirk. If you want a consistent low-post threat that scores like a big man should with above average defense then you go with Gasol.

Well, he came as close as you could possibly come to winning a title with Jason Terry and Josh Howard as his sidekicks, so I think it's possible. Maybe not likely, but possible. I'd like to think that as compared to a guy like Kevin Garnett, Dirk could win a title if his two sidekicks were Ray Allen and Paul Pierce. I've said this before, but I think Dirk is a 1.5 guy, and he probably needs another 1.5 guy to win a championship, and right now Dallas doesn't have that.

Gasol is the #2 guy in LA and benefits immensely from Kobe's presence and Phil's coaching. He was nowhere near the same player in Memphis, and even after his first season in LA, he was called out as being soft. He sacrificed touches on O and worked harder on D because that is what the Lakers needed from him in order to come back and win the title.

LakasRool4eva
12-05-2009, 12:09 PM
if u really think about it Gasol has more rings then Dirk............

jacobdrj
12-05-2009, 12:41 PM
You are who you guard...

Findog
12-05-2009, 12:43 PM

So does Jason Kapano.

Kapano > Dirk.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-05-2009, 12:54 PM

Horry > Kobe

jacobdrj
12-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Horry>Jordan>>Kobe

badfish22
12-05-2009, 02:05 PM

That was Dirks worse game ive seen in years. And it was mostly Gooden getting beasted. But Dirk was a bit too

IMO Dirk is a slightly above average defender while Gasol is a good defender. The Lakers improved pick and roll D is mostly cause of Gasol. Either way Dirk > Gasol overall.

I agree with this. But you gotta remember Gasol is surrounded by other great defenders, hiding some of his weaknesses. Maybe thats why he has improved so much from his Memphis days.

dirk4mvp
12-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Pau insn't anywhere close to Dirk.

Has he ever actually taken over a game in his career?

j-money24
12-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Are we really still considering Duncan a PF? He's the center. In fact, he's the only center the Spurs have on their active roster. I don't care if they still label him a forward.

Then what happened to the " Duncan best PF ever"

Double-Up
12-05-2009, 02:46 PM
I would have to agree...Dirk's man to man defense is a 6.5 out of 10 and Gasol is about a 7 out of 10 IMO. Of course we all know the better player is Dirk.

picc84
12-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Dirk is better overall, but Pau's defense and post game are superior. And his passing. And rebounding.

Dirk is a better scorer, shooter, and has more takeover ability.

I like Pau on the Lakers better because of his post abilities, but i'll admit that Dirk on the Lakers playing with Kobe, Bynum, Artest, and Odom would be filthy.

crc21209
12-05-2009, 03:30 PM
It's comments like these that remind me why JVG is a commentator now instead of a coach...:lol

Double-Up
12-05-2009, 03:41 PM
It's comments like these that remind me why JVG is a commentator now instead of a coach...:lol

I mean I really can't think of a PF better than Gasol right, can you?

Findog
12-05-2009, 03:47 PM
I mean I really can't think of a PF better than Gasol right, can you?

I can. His name is Dirk Nowitzki.

Double-Up
12-05-2009, 03:51 PM
I can. His name is Dirk Nowitzki.

I know that, I meant after Dirk obviously. Who would you pick as the 2nd best PF in the game today?

mavs>spurs2
12-05-2009, 04:02 PM
I know that, I meant after Dirk obviously. Who would you pick as the 2nd best PF in the game today?

Gaysol

sook
12-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Agree with the comment, because as a few have already stated, Tim Duncan is a center. And if Duncan were still a PF, Gasol would be third, but not far behind the top two of Dirk and Tim. At this point, I don't think KG is better than Gasol anymore, but I suppose it's close.
I agree with everything...except that its CLOSE.

People VASTLY overrate KG. THe guy is a better defender but I'll take the guy that can actually play in the low post...Gasol!

phyzik
12-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Then what happened to the " Duncan best PF ever"

Because, besides the last 3 or 4 years, he WAS a PF and during that time he was the best. ever.

redzero
12-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Gasol is a better defender, but Dirk is without question the better overall player.

duhoh
12-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Dirk's D has vastly improved from the Nelson years. He's always in the right spot, his rotations are good, he contests shots now and even makes a play now and then. I wouldn't confuse him with Kevin Garnett or Bill Russell, but I wouldn't describe him as a liability either. On balance, Dirk is a better player than Pau. Perhaps Pau is a better fit on the Lakers with his post game, but as a #1 option, Dirk is better.

I agree with the #1 option, but I dunno about defense. Pau is pretty decent at that

monosylab1k
12-05-2009, 08:31 PM

:lmao

Rogue
12-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Dirk isn't the man to blame on our poor perimeter defense imho. It's just the coach that doesn't have the basic basketball knowledge to read the game hence naturally he has no business how to defend it. Fuck carlisle.

Rogue
12-05-2009, 08:37 PM
anyway players aren't paid to train themselves on dismantling pick&rolls.