PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs backup Hairston assigned to Toros

duncan228
12-05-2009, 12:55 AM
Spurs backup Hairston assigned to Toros (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Spurs_backup_Hairston_assigned_to_Toros.html)
Mike Monroe

The Spurs haven't been disappointed with the play of backup swingman Malik Hairston, but finding time for him on a roster that already has Manu Ginobili, Michael Finley and Roger Mason Jr. on the bench has been difficult.

Hairston's assignment Friday to the Austin Toros, the NBA Development League team owned and operated by the Spurs, was all about giving him the opportunity to play and develop his game.

Hairston averaged only 4.1 minutes in the eight games he played, scoring six points in a total of 33 minutes. The 6-foot-7 guard-forward from Oregon won a training camp battle with guard Marcus Williams for the final spot on the team's 15-man roster.

As a second-year player — he was acquired on draft night 2008 in a swap of second-round picks with the Phoenix Suns — Hairston can be assigned to the Toros three times by the Spurs.

Man Mountain returns: Spurs coach Gregg Popovich once compared former Spurs center Rasho Nesterovic to an old-time professional wrestler, nicknamed Man Mountain Dean, who terrorized rings in the early 20th century.

Nesterovic, Popovich pointed out, was not a physical terror “like Man Mountain Dean.”

DeJuan Blair?

He certainly fits the Man Mountain designation.

One day after Blair scored 18 points and grabbed 11 rebounds against the Celtics, Popovich struggled to find the words to describe Blair's roller-coaster ride through his first 16 NBA games.

“Sometimes he's like a comet and sometimes — What's the opposite of a comet? — a balloon that bursts?

“Some nights he doesn't quite understand the pace of the game or the intensity of the game and the players. Another night, he's like Man Mountain Dean.”

No masked man: Backup point guard George Hill took another shot in the nose in Thursday's loss to Boston, but he won't consider wearing a face mask, even for a few games while his injured proboscis heals.

“You can't focus with one of those (masks) on,” said Hill, whose nose was sliced by Kyle Lowry's finger during the Spurs' victory in Houston on Nov. 27. “I'm just going to keep playing. If it gets hit again, it gets hit again. That's part of basketball.”

AFBlue
12-05-2009, 01:58 AM
Scored 23 in the debut...glad to see the Spurs getting him some meaningful court time.

Chomag
12-05-2009, 10:03 AM
I still think we could have realy used this guy especialy when we go up against Kobe, or Labron.

I'm happy for him though, looks like he is not going to get any minutes under Pops watch. Maybe next year? That will possibly be decided by what Finley decides.

TJastal
12-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Adios, Malik.

Pop never gave you a chance, instead passing you over for a guy who's been around the block a few dozen times. You had some real potential.

And now that guy (Bogans) has looked like garbage the past few games, not a big surprise.

Mel_13
12-05-2009, 11:27 AM
I still think we could have realy used this guy especialy when we go up against Kobe, or Labron.

I'm happy for him though, looks like he is not going to get any minutes under Pops watch. Maybe next year? That will possibly be decided by what Finley decides.

Adios, Malik.

Pop never gave you a chance, instead passing you over for a guy who's been around the block a few dozen times. You had some real potential.

And now that guy (Bogans) has looked like garbage the past few games, not a big surprise.

Points of agreement and disagreement.

I would have loved to see Malik thrown into the fire and essentially take Finley's minutes. So, count me among those disappointed that he didn't get much of a chance to demonstrate what he can contribute. Especially during a time when all sorts of line-up combinations were being tried.

On the more hopeful side, the Spurs continue to pay salary and luxury tax to retain Malik when they could cut him and save all that money. That only makes sense if they see a future for him on the Spurs. Manu, Finley, Mason, and Bogans are all in the last, or only, years of their contracts. Keeping Malik on the payroll when they are not using him this year can only mean that he will be here next year. Unfortunately, it appears that he will only play this year in the event of a trade or injury.

DPG21920
12-05-2009, 12:02 PM
No to surprising. I think he has shown he can defend on an NBA level, even in his short amount of time. That alone means he can stick, similar to a Bogans type player imo. Obviously, he has to show that level of defense over a sustained period of time in order for that assessment to hold water.

With regards to his offense, I already think he is better than some give him credit for. Even though we did not get to see a lot of it against legit NBA players, the offense I have seen from him in DL and SL seems to be enough improved where he is not a liability. His athleticism helps him in that arena.

I think it is a smart move to let him go back to the Toros and get some PT.

Chomag
12-05-2009, 12:09 PM
No to surprising. I think he has shown he can defend on an NBA level, even in his short amount of time. That alone means he can stick, similar to a Bogans type player imo. Obviously, he has to show that level of defense over a sustained period of time in order for that assessment to hold water.

With regards to his offense, I already think he is better than some give him credit for. Even though we did not get to see a lot of it against legit NBA players, the offense I have seen from him in DL and SL seems to be enough improved where he is not a liability. His athleticism helps him in that arena.

I think it is a smart move to let him go back to the Toros and get some PT.

Good move for Hairston since it will get him some PT. Bad move for the Spurs since he brings many things to us that are needed IMO.

DPG21920
12-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Good move for Hairston since it will get him some PT. Bad move for the Spurs since he brings many things to us that are needed IMO.

Possibly, but you have to look at it like this: In order for the Spurs to win a title or at least have a legit shot, they need Manu and Bogans and to a lesser degree Mason to all play at a high level.

The only time it would make sense right now to play Malik, is if one of those guys is injured or struggling. If it is Bogans struggling, then playing Malik makes sense. But right now, Bogans is playing very well defensively and his offense is the part struggling. You don't know how much of an upgrade or downgrade Malik will be on that end if you put him in for Bogans. So the real question is, do you bench a guy that has largely been the best perimeter defender for the team for a coin-flip chance that the offensive production improves?

If it is Mason that is struggling (which overall he has), then you would certainly get an improvement defensively by inserting Malik. However, the Spurs need Mason's 3-PT shooting badly. Malik has improved, but not enough to be considered a serious threat as of yet. If the Spurs don't get Mason rolling (which he has been better lately), they will need some offense and it is not a given Malik can provide it.

If it is Manu that is struggling, then the Spurs have no shot at winning a title and playing Malik might make sense if they have given up.

In all three scenarios it does not seem beneficial to keep Malik and play him over sending him to the Toros imo.

benefactor
12-05-2009, 12:25 PM
On the more hopeful side, the Spurs continue to pay salary and luxury tax to retain Malik when they could cut him and save all that money. That only makes sense if they see a future for him on the Spurs. Manu, Finley, Mason, and Bogans are all in the last, or only, years of their contracts. Keeping Malik on the payroll when they are not using him this year can only mean that he will be here next year. Unfortunately, it appears that he will only play this year in the event of a trade or injury.
This. If they keep him for this year and pick up his option for next year he will be a cheap yet effective backup at the wing.

exstatic
12-05-2009, 02:00 PM

That. He's costing them ~ $1.5M to keep on the roster when they could EASILY cut him and save that. All you butthurt impatient fanboys need to realize that. His time will come, it just isn't now. Next summer, he'll still just be 23, with two years of system experience under his belt with the combination of Spurs and Toros time. We haven't seen the last of him in SA this year. Pop always calls up any Spurs roster players from the Toros for the RRT, and he's also available for spot injury duty as well. If they keep him the entire season, I think they'll call him up at the end after the Toros season ends. I believe he can go up and down up to three times.

SenorSpur
12-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Agree with what others have posted. It sucks that we all know Malik can compete and contribute at this level. However, at least he can continue his development by getting more PT on a day-in and day-out basis. Also, we know the Spurs like him because they're willing to exceed the luxury tax AND burn a roster spot in order to retain him.

Like the rest of you, I just wish he was part of the rotation now. However, it does appear that he's got a bright future with the club.

angelbelow
12-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Im actually happy for him because now at least he can play..

TJastal
12-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Hairston's was ready to contribute, his time WAS now. We saw example of after example throughout the preseason indicating this.

Too bad the spurs dropped the ball on this kid, he could have been a huge sparkplug off the bench.

Instead of this, we are going to have the priviledge of watching Keith Bogans get burned and abused regularily all year long by the likes of Ray Allen, Kobe, Roy, etc while compiling 1-7 type shooting nights every other game.

lennyalderette
12-05-2009, 03:43 PM
not a smart move at all, if i had it may way i would of given malik, finley's spot entirely as a bench player. he knows the system just as good as finley, he can drive it 100% better than finley, im sure on a bad night we would break even on his shot % with finley, i dont even want to go into defense, finley had his 50 yrs to shine, and cant play anymore. i gave it time, this time around last year finley was doing pretty good, and i just feel like its time the man is 37 years old!!!!!!!!!

ChumpDumper
12-05-2009, 03:47 PM
He's not going to be on the active list when everyone is healthy.

Simple math.

Ocotillo
12-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Malik is Finley's replacement. Fin won't be back next year and his roster spot is Malik's for the taking. He needs to play so Austin is where he needs to be for now.

duncan228
12-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Toros top Albuquerque as Hairston scores 27 (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/2009/12/06/1206toros.html)

Dwayne Jones sank two free throws with three seconds to play, as the visiting Austin Toros slipped past Albuquerque 104-103 Saturday night in an NBA Development League game.

Jones' foul shots gave Austin a 104-100 lead before Albuquerque's Keith McLeod hit a three-pointer at the buzzer for the final margin.

Forward Malik Hairston, who joined the Toros on Friday after opening the season with the San Antonio Spurs, led Austin with 27 points. He made 12 of 21 shots.

Alonzo Gee added 19 points and nine rebounds for Austin (3-3) while teammate Curtis Jerrells scored 17 points. Jones also had a team-high 10 rebounds.

Forward Carlos Powell scored 28 points to lead Albuquerque while McLeod finished with 24.

Austin returns home to face Rio Grande Valley at 11 a.m. Tuesday inside the Austin Convention Center. That matchup opens a three-game homestand.