PDA

View Full Version : Sarver, 43, said his actions against San Antonio were a mistake

ducks
04-22-2005, 10:26 AM
All season long, Sarver has waved his purple foam "No. 1" finger vigorously and delighted fans with his unbridled courtside excitement and out-of-the-blue stunts. Yet the rookie owner's behavior at times has raised eyebrows within the Suns organization and the league.

An episode in America West Arena last month against San Antonio, when Sarver clucked like a chicken to mock the Spurs for resting two top players, upset National Basketball Association Commissioner David Stern and prompted apologies and assurances that such a display would not occur again.

"At times, I think I'm a fan first and an owner second," said Sarver, whose Suns have secured home-court advantage throughout the playoffs, which begin Sunday against Memphis. "And I shouldn't be that way. I probably need to remember I'm the owner all the time. But sometimes when I'm out there, and I'm cheering for the team, I don't think of myself as the owner."

As Sarver has become a fixture with the team, attending nearly every home and road game, he has become linked with Mark Cuban and others in a new group of younger NBA owners whose style is more frat house than country club.

...Sarver, 43, said his actions against San Antonio were a mistake. As for the Rockies, Sarver said that he repeatedly warned the players to tone it down before kicking them out. He said that the dispute with the security guards was a personnel issue and that both men are still on his payroll. "Part of it is an adjustment," said Sarver, chairman and chief executive officer of Western Alliance Bancorporation, a holding company with banks in Arizona, Nevada and California. "It's new. So, it's a different situation and sometimes you think of things differently."

Arthur Marshall, a Western Alliance director and longtime friend of the Sarver family, said he is not surprised Sarver has moved into the spotlight.

"Robert has always been an outgoing person. He jumps into things with a lot of enthusiasm," Marshall said. "We see it at the bank with his management style. He's a doer and a go-getter."

the paper (http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/0422sarver22.html)

johnny00
04-22-2005, 10:34 AM
An episode in America West Arena last month against San Antonio, when Sarver clucked like a chicken to mock the Spurs for resting two top players, upset National Basketball Association Commissioner David Stern and prompted apologies and assurances that such a display would not occur again.

"At times, I think I'm a fan first and an owner second," said Sarver, whose Suns have secured home-court advantage throughout the playoffs, which begin Sunday against Memphis. "And I shouldn't be that way. I probably need to remember I'm the owner all the time. But sometimes when I'm out there, and I'm cheering for the team, I don't think of myself as the owner."

Whatever this guys actions are bulletin board material now.
When the time comes he'll think of himself as Phoenix Suns owner and San Antonios bitch.

CosmicCowboy
04-22-2005, 10:43 AM
Hopefully in the last game of the Western conference finals as the last seconds tick off the clock sealing the Suns loss the San Diego chicken will make a cameo appearance wearing a silver and black #21 jersey...

poetic justice...:lol

ladiesman
04-22-2005, 11:13 AM
Whatever this guys actions are bulletin board material now.
When the time comes he'll think of himself as Phoenix Suns owner and San Antonios bitch.

I think he will become AJ's bitch.... I don't think they can beat Dallas in a 7 game series....

Ladiesman

T Park
04-22-2005, 11:30 AM
I dont think they make it by HOUSTON.

But, I would love to beat the Suns in the western finals game 5, by about 15 and the spurs as they are walkin off start clucking and flapping there wings.

Payback is a bitch fucker, remember that.

boutons
04-22-2005, 11:46 AM
Sarver sounds like an puerile, testosterone-overloaded asshole who knows how to make money, but nothing else.

Agreed, I think Mavs or Rockets (that matchup is too close to call) will stop the Suns with defense, but it will go fatiguing 6 or 7, softening the winner up for the Spurs.

Obstructed_View
04-22-2005, 12:37 PM
Living well is the best revenge. The guy is a basketball moron like Mark Cuban and shouldn't even be on the radar, other than an extra smidge of satisfaction when his team is eliminated and they show him on TV. Everybody was whispering about "CIA Pop" when he didn't play either of them for that game, so it's not an unforgivable mistake to make thinking they weren't really hurt.

Besides, the dude clucked like a chicken in front of millions of people. How seriously can you take someone who humiliates themselves that way?

timvp
04-22-2005, 12:38 PM
I bet Suns fans don't even respect this freak show.

MadDog73
04-22-2005, 12:41 PM
Sarver sounds like an puerile, testosterone-overloaded asshole who knows how to make money, but nothing else.

Agreed, I think Mavs or Rockets (that matchup is too close to call) will stop the Suns with defense, but it will go fatiguing 6 or 7, softening the winner up for the Spurs.

2nd seed doesn't sound so bad after all does it?

Strange how Karma works. Now, if only some of those bizarre "shot clock" fiascos go OUR way during the Playoffs...

Experiment2100
04-22-2005, 12:42 PM
When a big train is coming at you, you don't apologize to it, you get out the way.

Duff McCartney
04-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Man this guy is the new Mark Cuban.

boutons
04-22-2005, 12:43 PM
"clucked like a chicken"

Exactly the public behavior and gravitas you expect from your personal or corporate banker.

MadDog73
04-22-2005, 12:46 PM
I love how the article highlights his age: 43

Man oh man, what a moron! I bet he's looking at the schedule and waving his arms in a different way now!

Question: what is up with the "Rockies" and the security guards? Separate incident?

td4mvp21
04-22-2005, 06:14 PM
he should save it......he just doesn't want a buttwhipping in the playoffs. i don't care what he says the Spurs won't easily forget what he did. and neither will I.

ShoogarBear
04-22-2005, 06:37 PM
He threw some members of the Colorado Rockies out of a game. Can't remember the exact details.

Mijo
04-22-2005, 08:59 PM
Man this guy is the new Mark Cuban Dude should find his own identity!