PDA

View Full Version : The Official Fire Pop Thread

poeticism707
12-06-2009, 03:28 AM
the Spurs FO should Fire Greg Poppovich.

And here's why:

Pop is the ultimate enabler for the Spurs team: he offers more excuses for the Spurs poor play than the Spurs themselves. It's always "poor excution," and "turnovers," and "we just need to play better" and our personal favorite, "get healthy"- in other words, always these seemingly impersonal forces, never what specific players are doing wrong.

To show you exactly what's wrong with this type of coaching, let's go back in time to 2003-04 season of the Lakers, when it was Kobe and and a bunch of poor players/bad fits, Kobe's first year as the leading man, and the Laker's didn't even make the playoffs. You may not have known this, but the seeds of Kobe and the Laker's triumph over the Spurs in the 2008 Western Conference Finals was already on display for everyone to see. And it was so simple: whether because the Lakers were afraid of Kobe, or whatever, the Lakers PLAYED HARD: got that? The played everyone tough, including the best team in the League at the time, the Spurs. Sure, the Lakers got blown out by 20, but they played like their collective lives depended on it.

Which brings me to my next point: when is the last time you've seen the Spurs play like their collective lives depended on it? Almost never. Why? Simple: the Spurs don't want to win as bad as their opponents. Not even during their championship years (with the possible exception of Bruce Bowen) did the Spurs, perhaps other than the Lakers in 2003, truly want to win more than their opponents. And motivation is EXACTLY where coaching comes in.

Look at coaches like Larry Brown and Phil Jackson. One of these coaches, Brown, I respect, Jackson I don't, but both are far away better coaches than Poppovich. Because they these coaches understand that a team cannot rise above it's habits: that you as a team are what you do. So if you lose to elite teams all year round, then you will certainly do so in the playoffs, if you even get there. IN OTHER WORDS, IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW HEALTHY YOUR TEAM IS IF YOU'VE PLAYED TERRIBLE BASKETBALL THE ENTIRE YEAR. This is evident in Larry Brown's great 2004 Piston's team that defensively embarrassed everyone all year long, and overcame tremendous odds to do so against the Lakers in the Finals. Or how about Phil's Laker's beating the Spurs in 2008?

Which brings me to my next question: when has Pop EVER coached the Spurs to a series victory in the playoffs that they had no business winning? (Don't say 2003, the great Act Two of the coming out party of Tim Duncan). When has Pop mis-matched a team to death like Brown in the Finals posting up Corlis Williamson on Kobe Bryant? Once again, never! Pop seems to think that exploiting mismatches is illegal.

I certainly don't endorse the way Phil Jackson does this, but how about publicly berating veteran players who are continually making the same mistakes over and over? Also, when is the last time Pop was thrown out of a game? When was the last time he exploded on a player on the sideline for missing the many effort plays that have been missed just this season for example? Aren't you tired of hearing the same "health" excuses? When was was the last time Pop..cared?

Because that's what it comes down to: it's easy to make fun of Mark Cuban, for example, but no one ever suggests that he doesn't want to the Mavs to win. Can the same be said of Pop, outside of General Principle? No.

The Spurs need to fire Pop, and hire a hard case to light a fire under this proud and talented Spurs team, someone one to come in and do a lot of screaming in public and private, to hold this Spurs team accountable to the already high Spur standard.

spectator
12-06-2009, 03:35 AM
chill pill fill please!

lefty
12-06-2009, 03:53 AM
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm6/inkslinger714/gtfo.gif

Ice009
12-06-2009, 03:53 AM
lol I haven't seen this guy since last season. wtf

HarlemHeat37
12-06-2009, 03:55 AM
I can honestly say, even if I only read a few lines, that this was probably the stupidest post I've ever read here..and that's saying a lot..

Rappin' Pop
12-06-2009, 04:00 AM
Gay is what I call this motherfuckin bullcrap.
Don't mind me while I start a new rap.
Forgive me but you nigga just a Spurstalk poster.
You are not even in a YMCA basketball roster.
Just get the fuck out of here and never come back.
With you as a poster, Spurstalk is outta whack.
You don't know shit about basketball,
You can't even make a freakin play call.

So tell me, bitch, how my ass taste?

FkLA
12-06-2009, 04:03 AM
I stopped reading after the first sentence.

http://jamie-online.com/random-jamz/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/facepalm.jpg

Libri
12-06-2009, 04:12 AM
The only way Pop gets fired is if he turns out to be the Zodiac Killer.

sabar
12-06-2009, 04:40 AM
Short version: Screaming and yelling = dynasty

qiuyizeng
12-06-2009, 04:48 AM
easy!nba games is business!

Duncan2177
12-06-2009, 05:15 AM
No Pop no Duncan.

Flintstones32
12-06-2009, 05:20 AM

I don't know. I think that type of "killer" attitude could be warranted right about now. :lol

Thompson
12-06-2009, 06:16 AM

And even then they'd check first to see if he'd be willing to stop 'moonlighting' on the side.

GrandeDavid
12-06-2009, 06:36 AM
poeticism, you make some good points. I don't think I'd fire Pop yet, but he does deserve the scrutiny. Although I don't know these people replying to your post nor particularly care to meet any of them, I nonetheless apologize for their third grade antics and lame attempts at insulting you.

TDMVPDPOY
12-06-2009, 06:53 AM
lol at the loyalist pop supporters, time to drop that 4 ring bs living the past crap, its all about the present and future...

PublicOption
12-06-2009, 07:03 AM
WE REALLY, REALLY SUCK and the word is out....the NBA doesn't even want the spurs in the playoffs........the spurs had a ton of bad calls last night.

Bukefal
12-06-2009, 07:49 AM
Come on, without pop were nothing. You know that.

amman
12-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Pop did say he deserved to be fired if we didnt win the championship....
Regardless, he does not seem to have that same 'fire' as before. You cant fire him though, the team would be nowhere without pop,but something does have to give.Motivation seems to be missing from this team cept for Ghill3 and Duncan everyone looks tired on the floor

stepmonkey
12-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Why? Simple: the Spurs don't want to win as bad as their opponents.

I made it this far before I quit.

temujin
12-06-2009, 10:36 AM
This guy has no clues.

The Spurs FO IS Gregg Popovich.

pjjrfan
12-06-2009, 11:06 AM
I can't imagine anyone else coaching this team, Pop has always, to me, been the guy whose will to win was second to none, but this guy makes some good strong points, and whille I don't agree with firing Pop, I think it's time Pop took a hard line with some of his players and with himself.

Chomag
12-06-2009, 11:21 AM
None if us true spurs fans want Pop gone. We just want the old Pop back.

easy7
12-06-2009, 11:21 AM
The crack is out there...

Dunc n Dave
12-06-2009, 12:07 PM

And here's why:

To show you exactly what's wrong with this type of coaching, let's go back in time to 2003-04 season of the Lakers, when it was Kobe and and a bunch of poor players/bad fits, Kobe's first year as the leading man, and the Laker's didn't even make the playoffs.

Umm, hate ot break it to you but the Lakers DID make the playoffs in 03-04 AND even beat the Spurs in the playoffs that year, thanks to Fisher's .4 shot. That was the team iwth Shaq, Kobe, Malone, and Payton on it that lost to Detroit in the Finals.

NO need to read further. This thread is EPIC FAIL.

ffadicted
12-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Umm, hate ot break it to you but the Lakers DID make the playoffs in 03-04 AND even beat the Spurs in the playoffs that year, thanks to Fisher's .4 shot. That was the team iwth Shaq, Kobe, Malone, and Payton on it that lost to Detroit in the Finals.

NO need to read further. This thread is EPIC FAIL.

Fuck, you got here before I did.

Either way, :lol :lol :lol fail

HarlemHeat37
12-06-2009, 01:03 PM
The OP's post wasn't bad BECAUSE he criticized Pop..it was just a horrible post in general with tons of holes in it..

He discredits Pop for winning in 2003 because of Duncan, but then he gives Phil Jackson credit for winning with his stacked teams..he uses Larry Brown as an example when Larry has had some ridiculously bad seasons in the past few years, including alienating some players and making horrible moves to bring in guys like Steve Francis..

He makes comments like "Spurs don't wanna win as much as the other team", as if we can actually measure that..like he knows their effort level personally..

He ignores the fact that Phil Jackson was eliminated in the 1st round 2 years in a row, but coincidentally made a Finals following the Gasol trade..talent>>>coaching..

Criticize Pop if you want, but come harder with your argument..

Like Bill Simmons said in his book, coaching is severely overrated in comparison to talent..I agree that Pop hasn't done a good job this year, he deserves criticism, but he's still the best coach in the NBA, and he still does more positive than bad..if this team fired Pop, there would be 28 teams calling him a minute later..

Phil Jackson himself has admitted he hasn't even had to do much with this current Lakers team..when you have Kobe Bryant and 3 talented 7 footers, you don't have to do much..Laker fans still criticize him all the time for overplaying Fisher and some of their bench scrubs..

Bender
12-06-2009, 02:05 PM
the Spurs don't want to win as bad as their opponents.

I made it this far before I quit.
what's the prob? I've gotten the same impression on several games.

draft87
12-06-2009, 06:00 PM
To show you exactly what's wrong with this type of coaching, let's go back in time to 2003-04 season of the Lakers, when it was Kobe and and a bunch of poor players/bad fits, Kobe's first year as the leading man, and the Laker's didn't even make the playoffs. You may not have known this, but the seeds of Kobe and the Laker's triumph over the Spurs in the 2008 Western Conference Finals was already on display for everyone to see. And it was so simple: whether because the Lakers were afraid of Kobe, or whatever, the Lakers PLAYED HARD: got that? The played everyone tough, including the best team in the League at the time, the Spurs. Sure, the Lakers got blown out by 20, but they played like their collective lives depended on it.

This is evident in Larry Brown's great 2004 Piston's team that defensively embarrassed everyone all year long, and overcame tremendous odds to do so against the Lakers in the Finals. Or how about Phil's Laker's beating the Spurs in 2008?

What the heck is going on? This is not the first time this week that someone has talked about the 2003-2004 season and been totally incorrect. What's up with the Lakers NOT making the playoffs in '04???
Jeez how can we take this seriously when Larry Brown's great 2004 Pistons team embarrassed the Lakers even though the Lakers didn't make the playoffs....????

mytespurs
12-06-2009, 08:14 PM
After reading a few lines of the initial post and the various response, all I have to say is to be careful what you wish for (firing Pop). because you may not be happy with what you ultimately get.

The calling for the head if Pop will turn into why can't we hire a coach like Pop when the winning becomes lean and mediocrity and middle of the pack becomes a fact of life for the Spurs.
:hat

elbamba
12-06-2009, 08:46 PM
To show you exactly what's wrong with this type of coaching, let's go back in time to 2003-04 season of the Lakers, when it was Kobe and and a bunch of poor players/bad fits, Kobe's first year as the leading man, and the Laker's didn't even make the playoffs. You may not have known this, but the seeds of Kobe and the Laker's triumph over the Spurs in the 2008 Western Conference Finals was already on display for everyone to see.

You really need to get your facts right. The 2003-04 Lakers beat the Spurs in 6 in the playoffs and went on to the finals. They had Shaq, Malone and Payton. You lose credibility when you mess up the facts in your first paragraph

duhoh
12-06-2009, 11:03 PM

And here's why:

Pop is the ultimate enabler for the Spurs team: he offers more excuses for the Spurs poor play than the Spurs themselves. It's always "poor excution," and "turnovers," and "we just need to play better" and our personal favorite, "get healthy"- in other words, always these seemingly impersonal forces, never what specific players are doing wrong.

Which brings me to my next point: when is the last time you've seen the Spurs play like their collective lives depended on it? Almost never. Why? Simple: the Spurs don't want to win as bad as their opponents. Not even during their championship years (with the possible exception of Bruce Bowen) did the Spurs, perhaps other than the Lakers in 2003, truly want to win more than their opponents. And motivation is EXACTLY where coaching comes in.

Look at coaches like Larry Brown and Phil Jackson. One of these coaches, Brown, I respect, Jackson I don't, but both are far away better coaches than Poppovich. Because they these coaches understand that a team cannot rise above it's habits: that you as a team are what you do. So if you lose to elite teams all year round, then you will certainly do so in the playoffs, if you even get there. IN OTHER WORDS, IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW HEALTHY YOUR TEAM IS IF YOU'VE PLAYED TERRIBLE BASKETBALL THE ENTIRE YEAR. This is evident in Larry Brown's great 2004 Piston's team that defensively embarrassed everyone all year long, and overcame tremendous odds to do so against the Lakers in the Finals. Or how about Phil's Laker's beating the Spurs in 2008?

Which brings me to my next question: when has Pop EVER coached the Spurs to a series victory in the playoffs that they had no business winning? (Don't say 2003, the great Act Two of the coming out party of Tim Duncan). When has Pop mis-matched a team to death like Brown in the Finals posting up Corlis Williamson on Kobe Bryant? Once again, never! Pop seems to think that exploiting mismatches is illegal.

I certainly don't endorse the way Phil Jackson does this, but how about publicly berating veteran players who are continually making the same mistakes over and over? Also, when is the last time Pop was thrown out of a game? When was the last time he exploded on a player on the sideline for missing the many effort plays that have been missed just this season for example? Aren't you tired of hearing the same "health" excuses? When was was the last time Pop..cared?

Because that's what it comes down to: it's easy to make fun of Mark Cuban, for example, but no one ever suggests that he doesn't want to the Mavs to win. Can the same be said of Pop, outside of General Principle? No.

The Spurs need to fire Pop, and hire a hard case to light a fire under this proud and talented Spurs team, someone one to come in and do a lot of screaming in public and private, to hold this Spurs team accountable to the already high Spur standard.

you made christians look even more retarded :nope

Solid D
12-06-2009, 11:03 PM

And here's why:

Most coaches, or leaders for that matter, do not talk about what their specific team members are doing wrong. They discuss these matters away from the public eyes and ears with their team members. It's the right way to treat people, to their faces, without airing faults in public.

This is an essential element in leadership.

NZ Spurs
12-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Would any of you tell Duncan or any other player to their face that they didn't play as hard as they could?

No?

Of course not so STFU.

senorglory
12-07-2009, 07:25 PM

Sure, the Lakers got blown out by 20, but they played like their collective lives depended on it.

IN OTHER WORDS, IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW HEALTHY YOUR TEAM IS IF YOU'VE PLAYED TERRIBLE BASKETBALL THE ENTIRE YEAR.

Also, when is the last time Pop was thrown out of a game?

When was was the last time Pop..cared?

Because that's what it comes down to: it's easy to make fun of Mark Cuban, for example, but no one ever suggests that he doesn't want to the Mavs to win.

The Spurs need to fire Pop, and hire a hard case to light a fire under this proud and talented Spurs team, someone one [sic] to come in and do a lot of screaming in public and private, to hold this Spurs team accountable to the already high Spur standard.

A poet's keys to NBA success (see above):
1) Get blown out by 20;
2) Disregard health of aging roster;
3) Have head coach routinely thrown out of games;
4) Send flowers, the occasional hallmark (to show you care);
5) Act like a buffoon/and/or become an easy target for satire/derision;
6) Be sure to yell in public, and in private.

senorglory
12-07-2009, 07:39 PM

Most coaches, or leaders for that matter, do not talk about what their specific team members are doing wrong. They discuss these matters away from the public eyes and ears with their team members. It's the right way to treat people, to their faces, without airing faults in public.

1) USA Today, 6/12/07 (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/2007-06-11-Spurs-Parker_N.htm): Spurs coach Gregg Popovich spent most of Parker's first three years yelling at him.

"I was 19, so it was a little like father and son," Parker says of Popovich. "He was always hard on me. He always screamed at me and always tried to push me because I'm a little bit nonchalant sometimes in practice and a little bit lazy."

2) Yahoo Sports, 6/17/07 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=dw-parker061507&prov=yhoo&type=lgns).: "You know, Coach Pop was really, really hard on me, always trying to push me and looking for perfection. I thought I was doing pretty good. But it was never enough. I could score 14, 15; it was never enough. Sometimes I felt like it wasn't fair, all the criticism."

In his second year, 2003, he helped the Spurs to a title, but the doubts still lingered. That summer, the Spurs cleared salary-cap space in an effort to sign Nets star Jason Kidd. For Parker, it was a slap. But when Kidd decided to stay in New Jersey, Parker didn't pout. He just rededicated himself.

"(That year) was a tough time for me because I was 21 and we just won a championship and they wanted Jason Kidd," Parker said. "It's hard to accept.

"I told Pop, 'I want to be the point guard. I want to do it and I'm going to work hard to become a great player.' "

"You know," he continued, "it worked out for the best even if it was harder. I was happy to go through that because it made me a better player. With Pop, it was like a father-and-son relationship. And even sometimes, you know, I thought he was crazy, but it made me a great player."

3)
http://beyondthebeat.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/gregg.jpg

LOL@MavsFan
12-07-2009, 07:42 PM
I can honestly say, even if I only read a few lines, that this was probably the stupidest post I've ever read here..and that's saying a lot..
:toast
Agreed...I stopped reading after "Why the FO should fire Pop"....another "fan" about to jump off the ledge b/c the Spurs aren't 16-0. There sure are a lot of these people on this msg board. :bang

SequSpur
12-07-2009, 09:04 PM

whatever.....

SequSpur
12-07-2009, 09:08 PM
are bigger than Greg Popovich. Time for his ass to move on. I don't know who should take over, it may take a coach or two to figure it out, but I am done with him.

Good bye Pop! Thanks for your tenure, your dedication and your 4 championships. It wasn't rocket science since you had the best player on the planet and two for awhile....

I always wondered if Tim had a self imposed Timmy tax on everyone in this organization since he joined the Spurs...

He should've... RC and Pop have been gravy training his ass for years....

I want to watch a game and fuckin bleed black and silver again... Tired of the bullshit excuses..the fuckin foreigners...the red headed white step children...

Fuckin tired of it....

Reload, Revolution, Retool.....

Whatever....

Spurs > Popovich.

:flag:

DxB
12-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Normally, you;re a fucking retard. But in this case I kind of agree...a little

DPG21920
12-07-2009, 09:22 PM
That would be like firing Santa Clause because you were bad and did not get any toys.

Solid D
12-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Learn how to spell Gregg....

and I ate corn tonight on behalf of the Spurs so I'm expecting a change in their play tonight.

:sequ:sequ:sequ

EricB
12-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Replace him with who exactly..

Still waiting on the answer to this question I asked back in 2003 3 championships prior, that you've YET to answer.

Solid D
12-07-2009, 09:33 PM
1) USA Today, 6/12/07 (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/2007-06-11-Spurs-Parker_N.htm): Spurs coach Gregg Popovich spent most of Parker's first three years yelling at him.

"I was 19, so it was a little like father and son," Parker says of Popovich. "He was always hard on me. He always screamed at me and always tried to push me because I'm a little bit nonchalant sometimes in practice and a little bit lazy."

...and yet, Pop did no airing-out of Tony's faults to the press.

Solid D
12-07-2009, 09:44 PM
The corn is working...Spurs are winning. Maybe I should forget eating Spam with a Spork.

urunobili
12-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Maybe I should forget eating Spam with a Spork.

get over it already... :flag:

Solid D
12-07-2009, 09:49 PM
get over it already... :flag:

Get over what?

urunobili
12-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Get over what?

spam with a spork... :wakeup

z0sa
12-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Get over what?

It.

Solid D
12-07-2009, 10:04 PM
spam with a spork... :wakeup

Why?

urunobili
12-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Why?

how many rings since you started eating SPAM with a spork? :wakeup

Solid D
12-07-2009, 10:13 PM
That's why I ate corn tonight. So, get over it. K.

ducks
12-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Replace him with who exactly..

Still waiting on the answer to this question I asked back in 2003 3 championships prior, that you've YET to answer.

any player is better then a player with no confidence

urunobili
12-07-2009, 10:15 PM
That's why I ate corn tonight. So, get over it. K.

:rollin so you steal my line and couldn't think some other one? :lmao it's my lucky night then!

Solid D
12-07-2009, 10:16 PM
any player is better then a player with no confidence

'cept overconfident players.

mookie2001
12-07-2009, 10:51 PM
as usual solid d protecting the foreign fans

urunobili
12-07-2009, 10:54 PM

where were you fucktard? :rolleyes

draft87
12-07-2009, 11:24 PM
are bigger than greg popovich. Time for his ass to move on. I don't know who should take over, it may take a coach or two to figure it out, but i am done with him.

Good bye pop! Thanks for your tenure, your dedication and your 4 championships. It wasn't rocket science since you had the best player on the planet and two for awhile....

I always wondered if tim had a self imposed timmy tax on everyone in this organization since he joined the spurs...

He should've... Rc and pop have been gravy training his ass for years....

I want to watch a game and fuckin bleed black and silver again... Tired of the bullshit excuses..the fuckin foreigners...the red headed white step children...

Fuckin tired of it....

Reload, revolution, retool.....

Whatever....

Spurs > popovich.

:flag:

-fart-

Solid D
12-07-2009, 11:26 PM
corn was rejected.

nuclearfm
12-07-2009, 11:26 PM
If Phil Jackson had this team, they'd be undefeated with a guaranteed ship. Instead we have an egocentric coach who pulls players in and out every 30 seconds like it's a chess game.

News Flash: trying a different lineup every minute doesn't build chemistry :bang

DesignatedT
12-07-2009, 11:27 PM
I dont care what anyone says, and yes this does deserve its own thread..

The coaching this year is absolutely horrific. questionable call after questionable call after questionable call... obviously this isnt the only reason why were 9-9, but i definitely think its the MAIN one.

fuck this.

bonner running hook for the win? fucking unbelievable.

IronMexican

I'm sick of that shit

BlackSwordsMan
just December

benefactor
12-07-2009, 11:28 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139992

Yogurt210
12-07-2009, 11:28 PM
just December

exactly....then it will be just Jan..Feb..Mar.April...May....etc.

SpursRulez4eVeR
12-07-2009, 11:29 PM
lol bonner 13 foot running jump hook FTL

NZ Spurs
12-07-2009, 11:29 PM
If Phil Jackson had this team....

He doesn't. Seeing as though Phill is taken lets hire the next best coach with multiple championship pedigree... ohh look thats Pop!

STFU and get a hobby.

ffadicted
12-07-2009, 11:30 PM
Did you watch the first half of the game lol

spurtech09
12-07-2009, 11:31 PM
yeah its december but another loss....sux

DesignatedT
12-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Pop.... your way is not working anymore.... Everyone understand its your way or the highway but stop being a fucking idiot and change something. FUCK.

spurtech09
12-07-2009, 11:33 PM
pop has lost his mojo

hitmanyr2k
If Phil Jackson had this team, they'd be undefeated with a guaranteed ship. Instead we have an egocentric coach who pulls players in and out every 30 seconds like it's a chess game.

News Flash: trying a different lineup every minute doesn't build chemistry :bang

I agree. I've been saying the same thing for awhile now. The roleplayers are never going to get in any kind of rhythm or comfort zone with Popovich's Jekyll and Hyde lineups. He does this ever year and people wonder why the roleplayers are always out of whack and there's no chemistry.

benefactor
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139992

mexicanjunior
12-07-2009, 11:35 PM
just December

http://www.randomdestination.com/members/mj/pics/pollyanna.JPG

senorglory
...and yet, Pop did no airing-out of Tony's faults to the press.

Exactly, you were spot on with your earlier comment.

EmptyMan
Phil Jackson broke Pop. It's as simple as that.

Ditty
you go coach then

Höfner
12-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Popovich called a great play to end the game.

Solid D

:lol I've looked back at each post in this thread and I'm not sure from whence this comes...hmm, head-scratcher.

JustinJDW
I love how people treat all losses the same way. It's hilarious. :lol

Spurs Brazil
Only crazy people will think Pop ran the last play for Bonner on a drive

eyeh8u
phil jackson is a front running fag, fuck him,

draft87
12-07-2009, 11:37 PM
if phil jackson had this team, they'd be undefeated with a guaranteed ship. Instead we have an egocentric coach who pulls players in and out every 30 seconds like it's a chess game.

News flash: Trying a different lineup every minute doesn't build chemistry :bang

fart

NZ Spurs
12-07-2009, 11:38 PM
I love how people treat all losses the same way. It's hilarious. :lol

Its the exact same reason a direct democracy doesn't work. People get all emotional and throw logic and reason right out of the window.

eyeh8u
12-07-2009, 11:38 PM
I dont care what anyone says, and yes this does deserve its own thread..

The coaching this year is absolutely horrific. questionable call after questionable call after questionable call... obviously this isnt the only reason why were 9-9, but i definitely think its the MAIN one.

fuck this.

bonner running hook for the win? fucking unbelievable.

really? you couldn't add this post to the other 12 fire pop threads that were made in the last ten minutes

exstatic
12-07-2009, 11:39 PM

http://zone.artizans.com/images/previews/GRA392.300.jpg

easy7
Yeah, Pop should have taken that last shot...

sabar

All 642 of your posts are utter garbage, on every single forum. :blah

Duncan2177
I agree. I've been saying the same thing for awhile now. The roleplayers are never going to get in any kind of rhythm or comfort zone with Popovich's Jekyll and Hyde lineups. He does this ever year and people wonder why the roleplayers are always out of whack and there's no chemistry.

:tu

duncan228
12-07-2009, 11:40 PM
http://zone.artizans.com/images/previews/GRA392.300.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/gifs/chickenlittlegif.gif

easy7
12-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Yeah, fire him, he is a turnover machine...:hat

EmptyMan
12-07-2009, 11:41 PM

lmao, qft.

TD 21
12-07-2009, 11:42 PM
He better verbally unload on these motherfuckers after this one. No more of this cliche "they competed, they didn't hang their heads, I'm proud of them" shit. These guys need a collective kick in the ass.

And no more babying anyone, either. I don't give a shit how bad they're playing, the supposed big five should all be ran into the ground these next few games. Seeing as how the competition is weak, that may not mean a ton of minutes, but at least as many as it takes to win. They're the ones this team is really investing in and so far only one has played up to potential.

I don't care about any of this conventional nonsense, either. Meaning let Ginobili or Parker create off a high screen, or just take their man one-on-one, or set up a play for an open three for Bonner or Mason. That ball should have went to Duncan.

polandprzem
12-07-2009, 11:43 PM
exactly....then it will be just Jan..Feb..Mar.April...May....etc.

May? wtf ?

DesignatedT
12-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Yeah, fire him, he is a turnover machine...:hat

you have to be a fn idiot if you think the spurs turnover problems have nothing to do with POP...... his schemes and offensively plays are fucking terrible. maybe they used to work. but they dont anymore.

nuclearfm
12-07-2009, 11:45 PM
He better verbally unload on these motherfuckers after this one. No more of this cliche "they competed, they didn't hang their heads, I'm proud of them" shit. These guys need a collective kick in the ass.

And no more babying anyone, either. I don't give a shit how bad they're playing, the supposed big five should all be ran into the ground these next few games. Seeing as how the competition is weak, that may not mean a ton of minutes, but at least as many as it takes to win. They're the ones this team is really investing in and so far only one has played up to potential.

Doubtful. He's going to blow it off and have some of his expensive wine. Likely will forget it by morning. You'll see it in the excuses

NZ Spurs
12-07-2009, 11:46 PM

Listen to how angry you are. That's not healthy

That's illogical. What happens when they are all overused and tired by the end of the season. Illogical thinking comes when emotion clouds your ability to reason.

Buddy Holly
just December

What does mentioning what month we're in constantly (in general) do?

DesignatedT
I don't care about any of this conventional nonsense, either. Meaning let Ginobili or Parker create off a high screen, or just take their man one-on-one, or set up a play for an open three for Bonner or Mason. That ball should have went to Duncan.

yup.

murpjf88
pop should go back to morning practices. Forget sleeping in. It's not doing them any good.

nuclearfm
you have to be a fn idiot if you think the spurs turnover problems have nothing to do with POP...... his schemes and offensively plays are fucking terrible. maybe they used to work. but they dont anymore.

exactly. He's one dimension. His defensive schemes are working good, but not great. He is terrible at adapting to players

easy7
12-07-2009, 11:48 PM

You have to be a fucking asshole if you think that someone who is not even playing is guilty for the fuck ups of the players..

EmptyMan
12-07-2009, 11:49 PM
Holt is bugging out lol.

DesignatedT
12-07-2009, 11:49 PM
You have to be a fucking asshole if you think that someone who is not even playing is guilty for the fuck ups of the players..

Lol wow. i am no lighter on the players.

Bogans fucking sucks.. hes in their for defense? what fucking defense?

RJ is like a fucking shadow out their.. doesnt do shit

Dyess can hit when he is open but their is one problem, pop doesnt know how to get him open.

bonners running hook for the win was obviously the best choice.

NZ Spurs
12-07-2009, 11:51 PM
What does mentioning what month we're in constantly (in general) do?

Highlight the fact that this team traditionally starts off playing poorly and slowly rounds into shape after the all star break.

TD 21
12-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Listen to how angry you are. That's not healthy

That's illogical. What happens when they are all overused and tired by the end of the season. Illogical thinking comes when emotion clouds your ability to reason.

I'm not as angry as those words would make it appear. What I'm trying to convey is that I've now officially lost patience and how else do you emphasize that on a computer?

Who cares? Tell me, what are they being saved for? Does this team look like they're getting close to competing for a championship? No. So start playing the supposed five best players on the team extended minutes and try to win as many games (to secure a playoff seed; which is no lock) and get as high a seed as possible.

easy7
12-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Lol wow.

My bad money but many of the bonehead plays such as bad passes, not playing D, relaxing with leads and bad shots don't have anything to do with Pop...

mexicanjunior
12-07-2009, 11:54 PM
Highlight the fact that this team traditionally starts off playing poorly and slowly rounds into shape after the all star break.

This is not the same team...maybe you could make this rationale in 2007 when the big 3 were all in their prime but it's hard to see this repeating a feat from 1999.

jaffies
12-07-2009, 11:57 PM
many of the bonehead plays such as bad passes, not playing D, relaxing with leads and bad shots don't have anything to do with Pop...

What the hell?

Jason R
12-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Not to mention people are treating this team as if it's the year after a championship run. You can give someone the benefit of the doubt sure, but when do you actually acknowledge when there's a problem? When it's too late?

birdy219
12-07-2009, 11:59 PM
Normally, I don't like to blame Pop, but he is making some coaches errors. :bang

We are all upset right now, but I think when Pop took Blair out who was actually boxing out okur and boozer. Timmy came in playing soft and he did not guard the rim. Timmy has to cut harder, play more passionately, and DEMAND the ball and TAKE the shot. Win or Lose. He must assert himself more. I still have faith in this team, but we must play smarter and harder. :flag:
We lost this game in the third quarter by playing passively and by being OUT-WORKED when is the most disturbing part for me.

Tim Duncan or Tony Parker has to take that last shot. No excuse for that. :(

myhc
12-08-2009, 12:01 AM
Holt is bugging out lol.

lol

and lol at dave chapelle.

lol

poop
12-08-2009, 12:06 AM
in all honesty, give this same roster to phil jackson or pat riley and i dont see them being this bad, i just dont. hell imagine what rick adleman could do with this roster? he takes the same band of role playersand scrubs and makes them a consistent playoff team with heart, pop has all this talent to work with and its all for shit. we dont have a team,just a collection of random players who randomly come in and out at random times

Buddy Holly
12-08-2009, 12:07 AM

Playing slowly is one thing but playing like shit, like a non-playoff team some 18 games isn't the same thing.

I'm not on board with the fire Pop stuff, I just got to a point where seeing "it's December" so many times that I had to ask, who cares?

This is stuff that shouldn't be happening. Coaching is playing a role is the poor play, that's not a lie or hyperbole.

Buddy Holly
12-08-2009, 12:11 AM
Call this team soft.

Does he still have the balls to do it?

EricB
12-08-2009, 12:13 AM
Way too early to pull the soft card.

Playing soft is not what they are doing, nor what is losing the games.

mexicanjunior
12-08-2009, 12:17 AM

How many games hovering around .500 before it is allowed?

Buddy Holly
12-08-2009, 12:18 AM

Playing soft is not what they are doing, nor what is losing the games.

Way too early?

Not playing soft?

Seriously?

EricB
12-08-2009, 12:20 AM
Way too early?

Not playing soft?

Seriously?

Go ahead and panic if you want.

Its a team that's key components are brand new to the team and you guys thought that magically they would play fantastic perfect and hitting on all cylinders.

Again, you set yourselves up for disappointment.

EricB
12-08-2009, 12:21 AM
How many games hovering around .500 before it is allowed?

Yeah championships are won in those oh so critical early December Utah games no question.

Better fire Pop and bring back Bob Hill to save the season.

Chieflion
12-08-2009, 12:22 AM

Its a team that's key components are brand new to the team and you guys thought that magically they would play fantastic perfect and hitting on all cylinders.

Of course, it is only December, the team is magically going to play well. We will go 64-0 for the rest of the season and break the Bulls record, sweep through the playoffs beating opponents by 30 points a game. And I don't want to fire Pop.

nuclearfm
12-08-2009, 12:23 AM
in all honesty, give this same roster to phil jackson or pat riley and i dont see them being this bad, i just dont. hell imagine what rick adleman could do with this roster? he takes the same band of role playersand scrubs and makes them a consistent playoff team with heart, pop has all this talent to work with and its all for shit. we dont have a team,just a collection of random players who randomly come in and out at random times

:clap

Jason R
12-08-2009, 12:24 AM
Yeah championships are won in those oh so critical early December Utah games no question.

Championships aren't won in December but they aren't won in June. It's everything that comes before, and this is one of the worst starts the Spurs have ever had. Not to mention that they're not demonstrating signs of improvement in a lot of key areas.

mexicanjunior
12-08-2009, 12:25 AM

I see even asking a serious question brings out the defensive side of you...I don't blame you for it though, it's your schtick after all.

siraulo23
12-08-2009, 12:26 AM
remember pop's postgame comments after a home loss against detroit early in the season last year...

Buddy Holly
12-08-2009, 12:30 AM

Panic? How am I panicking? The fact is, sans four rotation players, the Spurs are playing the same guys they did last season. Yet, they're .500 18 games in. If that doesn't stun you, well, maybe you're soulless, I don't know.

Four new rotation players, some who see little minutes is why we're 9-9? :rolleyes

I know. Being upset at a 9-9 record is quite the set up. :(

Buddy Holly
12-08-2009, 12:31 AM

Fuck almighty, don't tell me you believe the horseshit you spew? Yeah, titles aren't won now so you can keep preaching that until the cows come home, but the fact remains that the product on the floor now isn't getting the job done now and guess fucking what, right now does matter down the line for home court and seeding so please stfu about how now isn't that important.

mexicanjunior
12-08-2009, 12:32 AM
I know. Being upset at being 9-9 is a fall. :(

Obviously you are not being patient enough for the magical late season run that snags us the 8th seed...wait for it.

EricB
12-08-2009, 12:33 AM
Championships aren't won in December but they aren't won in June. It's everything that comes before, and this is one of the worst starts the Spurs have ever had. Not to mention that they're not demonstrating signs of improvement in a lot of key areas.

Uh they are showing improvement in team defense.

Look at the Boston game again to prove that.

EricB
12-08-2009, 12:34 AM
Fuck almighty, don't tell me you believe the horseshit you spew? Yeah, titles aren't won now so you can keep preaching that until the cows come home, but the fact remains that the product on the floor now isn't getting the job done now and guess fucking what, right now does matter down the line for home court and seeding so please stfu about how now isn't that important.

Yes sir.

z0sa
12-08-2009, 12:35 AM
So if we fire Pop, who replaces him?

I understand we all want to be critical of seemingly boneheaded coaching decisions. But the truth is, most coaches out there are way stupider and don't have half the personnel/GMing skills Pop does.

Everyone makes mistakes. Pop's are magnified nowadays. That doesn't mean we should fire him.

EricB
12-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Obviously you are not being patient enough for the magical late season run that snags us the 8th seed...wait for it.

Guess ill sell my tickets for the rest of the season since its lost now.

Thanks.

mexicanjunior
12-08-2009, 12:37 AM
Guess ill sell my tickets for the rest of the season since its lost now.

Thanks.

That wouldn't be a bad move except you would be hard pressed to get a decent return on your investment at this point.

Buddy Holly
12-08-2009, 12:38 AM
Yes sir.

So what are you agreeing to? Shutting up or that right now is important and that your BS "now doesn't matter" regurgitation is crap?

P.S.

For the general audience, I don't want Pop fired, I just want old Pop.

nuclearfm
12-08-2009, 12:39 AM

Nolan Richardson

stealthjbravo

Who cares? Anyone would be better. Pop is as soft as my 80 year old dick

EricB
So what are you agreeing to? Shutting up or that right now is important and that your BS "now doesn't matter" mindset is crap?

P.S.

For the general audience, I don't want Pop fired, I just want old Pop.

You told me what to do.
So I'm doing it since your mr know it all.

Hows Justin Timberlake doing Senor Pirate?

SequSpur
12-08-2009, 12:42 AM
you guys are a waste of air.

Spurs Suck.....

They play with no heart, no passion............

Fuck, Tim Duncan passed up a chance to win the game and deferred to Matt Fuckin Bonner......

It's over.

Buddy Holly
12-08-2009, 12:42 AM
You told me what to do.
So I'm doing it since your mr know it all.

Hows Justin Timberlake doing Senor Pirate?

Honestly this entire board would greatly improve if you shut your trap, I mean there's only so much kfc and doritos' scented hot air we can stomach so with that, much appreciation on doing what I told you.

As for Mr. Timberlake, I'd assume not getting "shitfaced" and quitting on whatever basketball team he follows in what can only be described as a very very hilarious fashion... then changing his name because of all the embarrassment associated with it... huh TPark?

Blake
06-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Lol 2009