PDA

View Full Version : what happened to mcdyess?

td4mvp3
12-06-2009, 06:10 AM
i was excited about having the guy and was expecting 10-10, and if that happens tonight, the spurs win. but i checked the box score and the guy put up bumpkiss and it's not like he's been delivering 10-10 this year. why all the hate on jefferson, tim, tony, manu?

Mal
12-06-2009, 06:49 AM
don`t worry it`s december.

Mal
12-06-2009, 07:18 AM
If you dont know what is sarcasm, then STFU....

AussieFanKurt
12-06-2009, 08:25 AM
i was expected about 10-12 PPG and 7-9 RPG

bit devo

ffadicted
12-06-2009, 12:56 PM
If you were smart, you'd be expecting around 8 - 7. He's averaging 6.1 - 5.8, AND he hasn't scored in the last 3 games and only grabbed 5 boards in the past 2 combined.

So if we ignore (lol) these last couple of performances, we're getting from him exactly what most expected, which is solid rebounding, tough post defense and a sweet jay

SpursRulez4eVeR
12-06-2009, 01:06 PM
i think its due to TD's recent dominants in scoring

DesignatedT
12-06-2009, 01:15 PM
no excuse for blair being able to come in and score double digits an dyess cant even score a bucket.

Demure
12-06-2009, 02:10 PM
I haven't seen much of him either surprisingly.

TJastal
12-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Uh...Dice wasn't brought in to be a scorer, his main job is to help Timmy patrol the paint and help rebound on both ends which he has been doing a fine job of.

If he gets an open look he usually takes it, last night those looks didn't present themselves often, hence he did not score.

I think with more time and reps with the starters he'll start to find the spots on the floor where he needs to be in order to be effective. Right now, it looks like he's unsure where he's supposed to be on the floor (as does RJ) since the offense is basically a hodgepodge of helter-skelter pick n rolls and dumping the ball into Tim in the post.

DesignatedT
12-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Uh...Dice wasn't brought in to be a scorer, his main job is to help Timmy patrol the paint and help rebound on both ends which he has been doing a fine job of.

If he gets an open look he usually takes it, last night those looks didn't present themselves often, hence he did not score.

I think with more time and reps with the starters he'll start to find the spots on the floor where he needs to be in order to be effective. Right now, it looks like he's unsure where he's supposed to be on the floor (as does RJ) since the offense is basically a hodgepodge of helter-skelter pick n rolls and dumping the ball into Tim in the post.

Uh.... and blair was brought in to be a scorer? Lol... fact is we need MORE out of dyess just like we need MORE out of RJ.... its not rocket science.. i like these guys just as much as everyone... but we still need MORE than what their giving us... this only "december" shit is getting old and the mentality that "its ok to start off slow as long as were clicking later" is also total bullshit... and thats another thing that is wrong with this team... starting with our head coach.

timaios
12-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Last year : 30.1 min 9.8 reb 9.6 pts

This year : 21.4 min 5.8 reb 6.1 pts

Dice plays 9 minutes less.
With 30.1 min his stats this year would be : 8.2 reb 8.6 pts.

Dice
12-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Uh.... and blair was brought in to be a scorer? Lol... fact is we need MORE out of dyess just like we need MORE out of RJ.... its not rocket science.. i like these guys just as much as everyone... but we still need MORE than what their giving us... this only "december" shit is getting old and the mentality that "its ok to start off slow as long as were clicking later" is also total bullshit... and thats another thing that is wrong with this team... starting with our head coach.

McDyess doesn't create his own shots. If Tony or one of the other guys doesn't get him a shot he won't score. They've been trying to run a couple of plays where he gets a shot from the wing and one where Tim tries to get it to him under the basket but the other teams are stuffing these plays before they're half way through.

McDyess also isn't getting the minutes I'd like to see. They keep finishing the games with Bonner in (I guess for scoring?) when I feel like McDyess might be more effective.

To me, he the most solid post defender and rebounder besides Tim. Unless you just need a three point shooter I don't know what disadvantage they see in playing him down the stretch.

NZ Spurs
12-06-2009, 09:34 PM

So those seasons past that the Spurs started slow and eventually won the championship were, as you so eloquently put it, bullshit?

Or is it that you don't remember them?

Chieflion
12-06-2009, 09:39 PM
So those seasons past that the Spurs started slow and eventually won the championship were, as you so eloquently put it, bullshit?

I would like you to post our record 20 games into the season in 2003/05/07 to prove your point first.

oligarchy
12-06-2009, 09:52 PM
2007 : 15-5
2005 : 16-4
2003 : 12-8 (lost the 8th game their 19th game in, if they go 3-0 it would be same record)
1999 : 14-6

Chieflion
12-06-2009, 09:54 PM
2007 : 15-5
2005 : 16-4
2003 : 12-8 (lost the 8th game their 19th game in, if they go 3-0 it would be same record)
1999 : 14-6
Not even a slow start except maybe for 2003. So basically, in our championship seasons, we never started out 9-8, which is really slow. I call bullshit on slow starts for championship teams. Boston and Los Angeles were clicking so well since the start of their championship season, especially the Celtics who got their Big Three only during the off-season.

oligarchy
12-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Not even a slow start except maybe for 2003. So basically, in our championship seasons, we never started out 9-8, which is really slow. I call bullshit on slow starts for championship teams. Boston and Los Angeles were clicking so well since the start of their championship season, especially the Celtics who got their Big Three only during the off-season.

Well, they did beat the defending champions twice in that 12-8 stretch.

DesignatedT
12-06-2009, 10:04 PM

First, like posted above, none were starts as bad as what were seeing now, and yes i understand having 7 new faces will result in this...

what IS bullshit to me, is the mentality our coach and players have that its early and these games don't matter... the " championships aren't won in december" argument... which i do understand but when it comes down to april or may and we somehow end up fighting for a 5th or 6th spot in the western conference, then yes these games do matter VERY MUCH.

this locker room attitude of being "content" with losing right now because its "Early."

murpjf88
12-06-2009, 10:23 PM
First, like posted above, none were starts as bad as what were seeing now, and yes i understand having 7 new faces will result in this...

what IS bullshit to me, is the mentality our coach and players have that its early and these games don't matter... the " championships aren't won in december" argument... which i do understand but when it comes down to april or may and we somehow end up fighting for a 5th or 6th spot in the western conference, then yes these games do matter VERY MUCH.

this locker room attitude of being "content" with losing right now because its "Early."

Their is no way the spurs are "content" with losing. I'm not sure where you got this from. However, this team is not a contender at the moment. When you lose your home games, then you lose games in the standings. These games you don't get back. The spurs have not been a great road team against elite teams over the past year and a half.

Luckily, no one team has pulled away from the pack. The spurs can still recover, but its going to take a monumental effort for this team to get back on track.

The spurs start out each game at a disadvantage because they shoot free throws so poorly. They can't afford to turn the ball over like they have over the last two games.

NZ Spurs
12-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Records don't highlight how poorly the team was playing. If memory serves me correct the majority of the wins were against below 500. teams. It was a custom for Pop to call out the team early to mid season for losing to a bottom dweller. It is also custom for the Spurs to come together and find an identity during the rodeo road trip.

A knowledge of the way the Spurs play is also helpful in explaining the slow start. The Spurs run a very structured half court offense, which serves them better in the post season when the game slows down. This is a indication of why the offense is so complex and hence why the new players are struggling to grasp it. Also, consider the fact that Pop has relinquished the in-game control to Parker, this will take some time to get used to for all players not just the new ones.

I am confident Pop and the players are working as hard as possible to get the results, to suggest otherwise would be insulting some of the best basketball minds this league has seen in Tim and Pop. They haven't won four championships just by turning up.

If you would prefer to support players who wear their emotions on their sleeves then may I suggest supporting KG.

DesignatedT
12-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Their is no way the spurs are "content" with losing. I'm not sure where you got this from. However, this team is not a contender at the moment. When you lose your home games, then you lose games in the standings. These games you don't get back. The spurs have not been a great road team against elite teams over the past year and a half.

Luckily, no one team has pulled away from the pack. The spurs can still recover, but its going to take a monumental effort for this team to get back on track.

The spurs start out each game at a disadvantage because they shoot free throws so poorly. They can't afford to turn the ball over like they have over the last two games.

Of course they want to win the game. no question about that. i wasnt trying to say that we don't care about winning...

just seems to me that their have been too many decisions regarding lineups, minutes, plays, coaching decisions which have led to losses this early in the season..

seems that if we werent so worried about setting lineups and giving everyone an opportunity to do something every game then we wouldn't be 9-8. ESPECIALLY against teams like BOS and DEN.

Like Duncan sitting for 11 straight minutes in the second half against boston, 8 straight minutes in the 4th quarter. just seems to me that if duncan played the majority of the 4th we would have won that game instead of letting bonner run around trying to fit in with guys like rj and bogans.

thats what i meant by being "content" which is probably the wrong word... more like their is no sense of urgency to win.....

NZ Spurs
12-06-2009, 10:57 PM
thats what i meant by being "content" which is probably the wrong word... more like their is no sense of urgency to win.....

You are correct in your assumption that Pop isn't coaching with the same urgency that he would had it been a playoff game. That's because it isn't the playoffs.

It was an incredibly valuable opportunity to give players such as Blair the opportunity to experience playoffs-like situations. So once the games actually matter players like Blair have some experience to fall back on should they find themselves in the game.

Also, I think there is a philosophy within the Spurs organization that if they manage to have a healthy team all playing together on the same page come end of season, then playoff seeding doesn't matter. Therefore the regular season game serve other purposes as explained above.

Pop is like a tenured professor, he has the freedom to explore situations that other coaches don't have the luxury of exploring.

TD 21
12-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Nothing happened. The reality is McDyess is 35, has had serious knee surgeries in his career, doesn't play in the summer in order to rest his knees (meaning he plays his way into rhythm/shape during training camp/preseason/the first part of the season) and generally is a better second half player because of this.

Statistically, anything eclipsing 7-8 ppg and 7-8 rpg was unrealistic. Even though he's still clearly capable of 10-12 ppg and 10-12 rpg, as evidenced last season, he went from playing starters minutes to backup minutes, from being the uncontested best rebounder on his team to playing with two of the top rebounders in the league and while he was also the 5th option with the Pistons, on the Spurs their front four are far more established/effective scorers.

DesignatedT
12-06-2009, 11:22 PM
You are correct in your assumption that Pop isn't coaching with the same urgency that he would had it been a playoff game. That's because it isn't the playoffs.

It was an incredibly valuable opportunity to give players such as Blair the opportunity to experience playoffs-like situations. So once the games actually matter players like Blair have some experience to fall back on should they find themselves in the game.

Also, I think there is a philosophy within the Spurs organization that if they manage to have a healthy team all playing together on the same page come end of season, then playoff seeding doesn't matter. Therefore the regular season game serve other purposes as explained above.

Pop is like a tenured professor, he has the freedom to explore situations that other coaches don't have the luxury of exploring.

so who cares if we lost to boston in december right? blair got some good playoff experience?

which is, again... why i said it doesn't seem like we have been doing everything we can do to win these games...

also, this isn't the same team anymore that we knew would click coming down the stretch... there is too many new guys to treat this team like our previous championship teams. IMO we need wins, especially against contenders to help our seeding and HCA when the playoffs come around, A LOT more than giving Blair "near playoff experiences" in december.

say what you want, seeding does matter... HCA does matter. just look at our home/road records right now.... sure you want to go the whole playoffs playing on the road, staying in hotels with our "veterans."

pjjrfan
12-06-2009, 11:50 PM
I haven't seen anything that would show me he has lost anything from he was last season. He'll be fine as he gets adjusted to this team.

stealthjbravo
12-08-2009, 11:05 AM
McDyess and Blair have disappeared :x

z0sa
12-08-2009, 11:08 AM
The problem with Dyess is he needs good shots. He understands he needs to take and make shots, and doesn't have a problem with it. It's just almost against his natural grain, so to speak, to fire up semi-contested looks that aren't off good ball movement. He is one guy I do think needs to assert himself more. For example, Blair constantly slips screens and it throws his defenders off. I'd like to see Dyess making more of these types of moves, and a few play calls having HIM come off screens is nothing new or undone for 10 years (ahem Pop).

Doctor J
12-08-2009, 11:32 AM

A Good Point! :toast

Trimble87
12-08-2009, 11:36 AM
I dont have the numbers in front of me, but I believe Dice is averaging 6pts and 5 rebounds a game in about 20 minutes. Im not sure what more you all expected. Coming into the season I thought 9pts 9rebounds in 28 minutes was the absolute best case scenario. Its been a very quiet 6 and 5 admittedly and I would like to see more consistency and more open looks on his 18 footer. but its been par for the course so far with Dice.

Chieflion
12-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Someone forgot to mention that Dice's play picks up really late into the season especially last season where he just "carried" the Pistons frontcourt, which is kind of scary. Either way, he needs to play at least half a game.

Trimble87
12-08-2009, 11:40 AM

Sorry missed your post when I skimmed through the first time. This was my point exactly. We're getting exactly what we payed for with Dice.

CGD
12-08-2009, 12:08 PM
When on the floor at any given time, he is at best the 4th scoring option. I'm see the decrease in scoring output is reasonable. What'd I'd like to seem him improve is his rebounding however.