PDA

View Full Version : What other contending West team would have Finley and Bonner?

Fabbs
12-06-2009, 12:32 PM
playing 18-20 minutes per game?
Starting regularly? (well, one problem is temporarily solved with the ankle sprain)
For that matter what West or East contender would play FinleyBonner? Have them on the roster period? :rollin
NBA team period?

Would FinleyBonner be playing 20 min each for the Clippers?

Summer of 2007, what other NBA coach-personell person would choose going forward (pun intended?) the PF-SF-SF-PF duo of Mike Finley-Bonner over Lewie Scola?
http://www.hornets247.com/images/uploads/2009/09/293-gregg-popovich-thumbs-up.png

Leetonidas
12-06-2009, 12:33 PM
You should be happy then that Finley turned his ankle.

androck
12-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Pretty much every team in the NBA would take Bonner at $3.2 million this year. We know Houston and Dallas would since their GMs are all about adjusted plus/minus and Bonner is a +8.89 over the last two years (so far this year he's a +13.73). Boston would love him although he basically fills the same role as Eddie House so he's not really necessary. If you don't think the Lakers would rather have Bonner than Vujacic at $5 million per year, you're crazy. He would make a lot of sense for Cleveland to take Big Z's minutes since he can help spread the floor for Shaq and provide some offensive production beside Varejao. Orlando shoots more 3s than anyone and with Bonner being a Top 5 3-PT shooter in the league would definitely like to add him to the roster.

Finley is having a much better year so far but his minutes should definitely be going to RJ.

Of course I'd rather have Scola but that has nothing to do with Bonner and everything to do with Scola.

murpjf88
12-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Same Question. What other contending team would take RJ?

Warlord23
12-06-2009, 12:54 PM
20 minutes per game??? Forget contending West teams. Make that any NBA team. Heck, make that any NBA/CBA/Euroleague/NCAA team

mandel17
12-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Both Bonner and Finley are playing relatively well, with the exception of a few games. So your Finley & Bonner suck thread doesn't hold much weight, based on their contributions to the team so far this year....

Fabbs
12-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Both Bonner and Finley are playing relatively well, with the exception of a few games. So your Finley & Bonner suck thread doesn't hold much weight, based on their contributions to the team so far this year....
:lmao You're a used car salesmans dream come true.

Fabbs
12-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Pretty much every team in the NBA would take Bonner at $3.2 million this year. We know Houston and Dallas would since their GMs are all about adjusted plus/minus and Bonner is a +8.89 over the last two years (so far this year he's a +13.73). Boston would love him although he basically fills the same role as Eddie House so he's not really necessary. If you don't think the Lakers would rather have Bonner than Vujacic at $5 million per year, you're crazy. He would make a lot of sense for Cleveland to take Big Z's minutes since he can help spread the floor for Shaq and provide some offensive production beside Varejao. Orlando shoots more 3s than anyone and with Bonner being a Top 5 3-PT shooter in the league would definitely like to add him to the roster.

Finley is having a much better year so far but his minutes should definitely be going to RJ.

Of course I'd rather have Scola but that has nothing to do with Bonner and everything to do with Scola.
In addition to being teams who won more then one playoff game last year, those teams coaches realize defense must accompany any three point shooting ability a big has. Oh and Bonner only hits those in small games. Bonner shot 28% vs Dallas in the playoff series.

Kori Ellis the bball Princess noted how the decision to not sign Scola was a personell decision and not a money one. Scolas buyout had finally gone down in summer of 2007, right after Poop was named Director of All Things Basketball for the Spurs (or whatever his title became. I prefer Lord Poppycock). At any rate he had huge say in personell and he chose to extend Finley and Bonner and shun affordable Scola. You see the results. Case closed.

My Fault
12-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Why don't you guys just find another team to root for?

Kori Ellis
12-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Kori Ellis the bball Princess noted how the decision to not sign Scola was a personell decision and not a money one. Scolas buyout had finally gone down in summer of 2007, right after Poop was named Director of All Things Basketball for the Spurs (or whatever his title became. I prefer Lord Poppycock). At any rate he had huge say in personell and he chose to extend Finley and Bonner and shun affordable Scola. You see the results. Case closed.

Actually I understand it was RC's call about getting rid of Scola and Pop was very hesitant about it. But you can blame it on Pop for it too, along with world hunger and global warming.

Fabbs
12-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Why don't you guys just find another team to root for?
Would you like to join the PollyAnna Poppers Club?
The motto is "Lower the Bar and Accept Mediocrity".

Fabbs
12-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Actually I understand it was RC's call about getting rid of Scola and Pop was very hesitant about it. But you can blame it on Pop for it too, along with world hunger and global warming.
I don't think that's what you said back at the time.
And if so about RCs call and Poppycock being blameless, can you document?

I thought by definition Pops new title and position game him most if not all say in personell. Certainly veto rights.

Kori Ellis
12-06-2009, 01:45 PM
I don't think that's what you said back at the time.
And if so about RCs call and Poppycock being blameless, can you document?

I thought by definition Pops new title and position game him most if not all say in personell. Certainly veto rights.

RC is the GM. Pop, RC and the staff make decisions together. For example, Pop/Duncan wanted Josh Howard in the draft, RC and others didn't.

As far as I remember -- it was RC who wasn't sold on Scola's game being able to translate to the NBA. RC was the one ragging on Scola about his rebounding in email, etc.

Kori Ellis
12-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Anyway, I don't know you are ragging on Bonner in this thread -- he's averaging 8/5 in 20 mpg.... that's probably better than Elson, Nazr, Rasho, etc ever did in a Spurs uniform.

Matt is a good situational bench player. He shouldn't start (and he isn't starting now). But there's nothing wrong with him getting 15-20 mpg .. even more on some nights depending on matchups. Sure, he sucked the last two games, but so has everyone else on the Spurs (outside Duncan).

murpjf88
12-06-2009, 01:50 PM
RC is the GM. Pop, RC and the staff make decisions together. For example, Pop/Duncan wanted Josh Howard in the draft, RC and others didn't.

As far as I remember -- it was RC who wasn't sold on Scola's game being able to translate to the NBA. RC was the one ragging on Scola about his rebounding in email, etc.

Scola deal had to come down to money. Because the spurs had oberto, they passed on scola. Anybody who thought scola couldn't play in the nba is a retard and shouldn't be making basketball decisions.

Leetonidas
12-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Anyway, I don't know you are ragging on Bonner in this thread -- he's averaging 8/5 in 20 mpg.... that's probably better than Elson, Nazr, Rasho, etc ever did in a Spurs uniform.

Matt is a good situational bench player. He shouldn't start (and he isn't starting now). But there's nothing wrong with him getting 15-20 mpg .. even more on some nights depending on matchups. Sure, he sucked the last two games, but so has everyone else on the Spurs (outside Duncan).

:tu

Of course this chode doesn't post anything when Bonner is lighting it up from 3 but when he has a bad game he comes out of his hole and tries to pin the loss on Bonner and Finley. :lmao

FromWayDowntown
12-06-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm sure most West contenders would have signed Bruce Bowen this summer. Didn't you see them all lining up to get him for the minimum?

TJastal
12-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Bonner's 3pt shot will start finding its mark. Of his 5 misses last night 4 of them were right on line and normally down but took tough luck bounces. Only 1 of his shots was off line that I could tell. In my estimation, this is just bad luck. He's had two games in a row like this now, which really means he is due for some good luck.

Now, if he was missing all of his shots badly like he has been known to do in the past, then I would be complaining.

androck
12-06-2009, 02:04 PM
In addition to being teams who won more then one playoff game last year, those teams coaches realize defense must accompany any three point shooting ability a big has. Oh and Bonner only hits those in small games. Bonner shot 28% vs Dallas in the playoff series.

If you're going to blame the playoff performance of the Spurs on Bonner, I can't help you. With no Manu and a 50% Tim Duncan we weren't going to beat anyone in the West.

Bonner's defense is average. I don't know why everyone underrates it so much, maybe because he moves so awkwardly. He's no more of a liability than Oberto or Rasho ever were.

Fabbs
12-06-2009, 02:22 PM
You're too married to two offensive stats, pts and boards as if Bonners 8/5 tells the whole story.
Defense? Hello. When Nazr and Elson altered shots and/or made opposing players decide to not even take the ball down the lane, what happened?

"Rag" on Nazr and Elson all you want. Championships in 05 and 07. Spurs were like 20-2 in games Elson got over 20 minutes.

RC is the GM. Pop, RC and the staff make decisions together. For example, Pop/Duncan wanted Josh Howard in the draft, RC and others didn't.That was before Pop was given his Lord Poppycock title and new position circa 2007. What is it officially called anyways?

I believe you believe that's what you remember but I'm not sure I remember you posting about everyone role in the suckage that was and is NoScola.
I thought you went into much more detail at the time, albeit some of it may have had to have been speculation (maybe) but at any rate my memory is Poppycock had much more input with his new position.

Believe :lol

murpjf88 Scola deal had to come down to money. Because the spurs had oberto, they passed on scola. Anybody who thought scola couldn't play in the nba is a retard and shouldn't be making basketball decisions.
quality post. :toast

TJastal
12-06-2009, 02:29 PM
"Lord Poppycock"

:lol

temujin
12-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Scola thread.

VBM
12-06-2009, 05:18 PM
To be fair, LA won with Mark Madsen...

temujin
12-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Bonner is fine with me for the regular season.
After all, 70% of NBA games are against mediocre teams.
He is doing quite well in those.
Just don't expect him to come up big in serious basketball games.

He has had one good game against an elite team, Boston 2009.
That's it.

DesignatedT
12-06-2009, 05:21 PM
scola is 100x better than bonner.

The Truth #6
12-06-2009, 05:39 PM
It's true. Bonner is quite helpful to get through the regular season, which with our veteran team, is an important part of the process.

I remember in an early pre-season game and Bonner was lighting it up and the board went crazy thinking he'd turned the corner. Improvements, yes. But that was typical of Bonner to shoot lights out in a meaningless game. The less important the game, the better he shoots. He's making small strides but he's fairly set at this point as far as what sort of player he is.

He's probably not suited to this team anyway because of our focus on defense, but he's busting his ass so I can always compliment his effort.

poop
12-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Scolas buyout had finally gone down in summer of 2007, right after Poop was named Director of All Things Basketball for the Spurs (or whatever his title became. I prefer Lord Poppycock). At any rate he had huge say in personell and he chose to extend Finley and Bonner and shun affordable Scola. You see the results. Case closed.

its true

im the one in the background pulling the strings

duhoh
12-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Scola deal had to come down to money. Because the spurs had oberto, they passed on scola. Anybody who thought scola couldn't play in the nba is a retard and shouldn't be making basketball decisions.

scola's first 10 games were complete garbage though, let's not forget that. i agree with everything else though