PDA

View Full Version : Is 'New Moon' the worst successful movie ever?

duncan228
12-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Is 'New Moon' the worst successful movie ever? (http://www.ocregister.com/entertainment/million-222460-new-moon.html)
By Barry Koltnow
The Orange County Register

By the time you read this, "The Twilight Saga: New Moon," will have surpassed $500 million at the worldwide box office, moving it into 68th place, just behind "Terminator 2: Judgment Day," which racked up a measly $516 million in its theatrical run.

"New Moon" will suck the life out of many others on that all-time list, which is headed by "Titanic," the 1997 film that collected more than $1.8 billion – back when $1.8 billion really meant something.

Since Nov. 30, when the teen vampire movie hit $493 million, it has passed "Twister," "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" and "Aladdin."

Before it's done, "New Moon" could easily wind up in the Top 40, which means that it would best the celebrated Pixar animated film "The Incredibles," which is the current number 40 at $624 million.

That is quite impressive, but I maintain that "New Moon" is headed for even greater glory – a coveted spot on my exclusive list of the 10 worst movies to gross at least $500 million at the worldwide box office (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/million-222460-new-moon.html?pic=1).

I don't care how many people love it, or how much money it makes, "The Twilight Saga: New Moon" is a really bad movie.

Before you "Twilight" fans try to drive a stake through my heart, allow me to present a peace offering in a disclaimer.

The truth is that I enjoyed "Twilight," the original 2008 film that grossed a paltry $351 million for 154th place on the all-time list.

It didn't make my all-time worst list because I think it had many bright spots, including Robert Pattinson's entrance as the ultimate bad boy Edward Cullen, and Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan, every parent's nightmare because of her attraction to freaks and monsters.

The sequel, on the other hand, has none of the good qualities of the original, and all of the bad qualities of a movie sequel intended to lead to another movie sequel.

Still, it does not top my list of the worst movies with grosses higher than $500 million. Compared to the "Transformers" sequel and Ron Howard's adaptation of the novel "The Da Vinci Code," it has a long way to go in awfulness.

Here are my worst 10, and don't criticize me for omitting "Pearl Harbor," "Mission: Impossible" and "Meet the Fockers." They reached the $400 million plateau, but fell short of qualifying for this list.

The worst successful movies

1. "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" (2009) The sequel brought in an astounding $832 million, and one could only imagine what it would have made if it had a plot that made sense. P.T Barnum was right.

2. "The Da Vinci Code" (2006) This movie was so bad that one wonders how A-listers like director Ron Howard and actor Tom Hanks could have considered making a sequel. Actually, I'm amazed that they had the courage to walk in public after this movie came out. They not only came out, but made "Angels and Demons." What could possibly have motivated them to make another movie after being publicly vilified? Oh, that's right, the original made $757 million.

3. "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" (2006) This is the third-biggest-grossing movie of all time, with $1.06 billion at the box office, leading to the next entry on our list.

4. "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" (2007) It made $958 million, so it must have been a good movie. Welcome to movie studio logic.

5. "Star Wars Episode 1 “ The Phantom Menace" (1999) Never have so many waited so long for so little. It made $922 million before people realized they had been taken for a long, long ride to a theater far, far away.

6. "2012" (2009) With nearly $600 million in the bank, director Roland Emmerich was the only person to survive this disaster.

7. "Hancock" (2008) With Will Smith, it made $623 million. Without Smith, it would have made $600.

8. "Shrek the Third" (2007) A license to print money, this animated franchise lost its charm by the time the studio got around to bilking the public with this second sequel.

9. "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs" (2009) Hey, we made a lot of money the first time, so let's make another one, even though nobody asked.

10. "The Twilight Saga: New Moon" (2009) I'm not saying that this is the 10th worst movie that made at least $500 million. All I'm saying is that the pain of watching this ludicrous movie is so fresh that I can't think clearly enough to compare it properly against its competition. After a sufficient amount of time has passed, I may decide that it belongs higher on the list, although I can't imagine it ever overtaking "The Da Vinci Code," which had high-minded intentions. "New Moon" was simply made to keep the money train rolling.

baseline bum
12-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

Worst movie ever.

IronMexican
12-06-2009, 04:38 PM
#5 is #1.

baseline bum
12-06-2009, 04:39 PM
I think Independence Day deserves an honorable mention. The only good part was when they nuked Houston.

Xylus
12-06-2009, 05:19 PM
#5 is #1.

No way. Phantom Menace was redeemed by the Darth Maul lightsaber fight at the end.

BlackSwordsMan
12-06-2009, 05:22 PM
#5 had darth maul so I dunno

BlackSwordsMan
12-06-2009, 05:22 PM
pretty much everything in #5 was shitty but darth maul

IronMexican
12-06-2009, 05:31 PM
#5 was the definition of shit.

ashbeeigh
12-06-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm sure there are older movies dating back tp the 70s or 80s that were worse than the ones mentioned. I loved Shrek the third but still haven't seen New Moon.... :lol

jack sommerset
12-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Those Matrix sequels werenthe worst

balli
12-06-2009, 08:22 PM
pretty much everything in #5 was shitty but darth maul
I've always felt that Liam Neeson did the absolute best he could with the shit George Lucas fed him. Maul was a cool character, but that movie would have sucked so much more than it does, were it not for Neeson's extra effort.

IronMexican
12-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Qui-Gon was the shit.

David Bowie
12-06-2009, 08:34 PM
The Third Matrix. WTF?

Spursfan092120
12-06-2009, 09:20 PM
My wife says the first Twilight was a lot worse than New Moon...

Whisky Dog
12-06-2009, 09:27 PM
The New Moon was the definition of horrible. I already took my stance that I'm not sitting through another one of the fleece jobs on women's oh so gullible heart strings. Wish I would have thought of it though so I could be the one fleecing all the young and old stupid women out there while sitting on my own island taking in my own glory.

resistanze
12-06-2009, 09:31 PM
The Third Matrix. WTF?

qft

phyzik
12-07-2009, 01:36 AM
Worst movie ever has to be Jack Black's Year One. That was totally fucking stupid. Not even Stupid funny.... Not even stupid..... FUCKING stupid.

baseline bum
12-07-2009, 01:53 AM
Incorrect: (fast forward to :25)

rzihnum6Xdo

That blew. If it was a good movie it (1) wouldn't have Will Smith, and (2) the better actor replacing him would have a knife and slit that alien's throat.

Strike
12-07-2009, 08:06 AM
#5 is #1.There is some Star Wars bias here, but that doesn't necessarily make it untrue:

Da Vinci Code, Transformers 2 and Pirates 3 were easily worse than The Phanton Menace. What Makes Star Wars so bad is it's bad by comparison to the Original Trilogy. People like me have built the original Star Wars Trinity up to be the Holy Trinity of Sci-Fi, so nothing would have measured up. Oh, TPA was bad, no doubt. But Liam Neeson's work was worthwhile. And the lighsaber fight between Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Darth Maul was the best of the entire Star Wars series.

Da Vinci Code was complete shit. Not one redeeming quality. One of the worst novel-to-film adaptations I've ever seen. Transformers 2 was a complete turd. I'm still not convinced that Shia LeDouche or Megan Fox even know what the word "actor" means. The one decent thing about Pirates 3 should have at least been Johnny Depp, but even his performance was subpar at best. And I won't even get into Orlando Bloom's and Keira Knightly's abortion-esque performances.

lefty
12-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Who watches Twilight anyway?

12 y/o girls?

Angel?

gays?

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-07-2009, 11:58 AM
I've only seen 3,4,5 and 7 on that list. The Pirate movies were not very good. Star Wars disappointed, but that was largely based on my own personal anticipation primarily. I really liked the idea behind Hancock, but yeah, it could have been better.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-07-2009, 11:59 AM
I didn't know this latest Twilight was a sequel. I'm out of touch with the movies it seems.

Strike
12-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Who watches Twilight anyway?

12 y/o girls?

Angel?

gays?

Don't forget grown women, for some reason.

Strike
12-07-2009, 12:06 PM
I didn't know this latest Twilight was a sequel. I'm out of touch with the movies it seems.

Or living in a cave, maybe. Twilight has been all over the place the last year or so, maybe longer. Yet another trendy turd being thrust upon the masses.

EmptyMan
12-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Think of it this way, at least all of that money is being generated from special effect heavy movies. With all that money being dumped into special effects the technology will continue to exponentially increase in quality.

Maybe one day scripts will catch up to the visuals. Think about all of the movies (shitty movies) that could not have even been attempted 20 years ago.

Strike
12-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Think of it this way, at least all of that money is being generated from special effect heavy movies. With all that money being dumped into special effects the technology will continue to exponentially increase in quality.

Maybe one day scripts will catch up to the visuals. Think about all of the movies (shitty movies) that could not have even been attempted 20 years ago.

http://immigrationimpact.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/george_bush_holding_breath.jpg

Don't hold your breath.

Fpoonsie
12-07-2009, 01:43 PM
I think Independence Day deserves an honorable mention. The only good part was when they nuked Houston.

:wow

Independence Day's one of my all time favorites! The first movie I went a second time to see in the theater. :tu :tu