PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets jump to contender status behind cast of leapers

G-Nob
04-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

No team in the regular season played at a faster pace than the Phoenix Suns.

More Spurs coverage
Spurs add Brown, hope for best
Nuggets jump to contender status behind cast of leapers
Video: Sean Elliot predicts Spurs will knock off Nuggets

Through the second half of the 82-game schedule, however, the Suns had to share the distinction as the NBA's fastest team with the Denver Nuggets, the Spurs' first-round playoff opponent.

In a 10-game winning streak in April that stamped them as one of the league's most dangerous teams, the Nuggets averaged 107.9 points. They have had games of 127, 122, 121, 120 and 119 points in their 40 games under coach George Karl.

"What people don't realize is that they play faster than Phoenix," Houston coach Jeff Van Gundy said of the Nuggets before the Rockets played them Saturday. "Much faster. George has been there half the year, and (before he arrived) they played slower. To now have them lead (the league) in fast-break points just shows you how fast they are playing now. They're just rolling over people."

Part of the Denver steamroller has been the frequency with which the Nuggets dunk: They had 15 in a victory at Minnesota on April 8. The Spurs were treated to a taste of it when the Nuggets, with nine dunks, beat them 102-84 in Denver on April 1.

Not all of Denver's dunks come in transition, either. Point guard Andre Miller, who averaged 10.2 assists over the Nuggets' final 13 games, has opened a lot of eyes by throwing dozens of lob passes out of the team's half-court offense in the final 20 games.

"Andre is the most creative lob thrower I've seen," Karl said. "He has thrown 60-foot lobs. I know there are guys, probably Magic Johnson, who have done it, but Andre has thrown behind-the-halfcourt line lobs for dunks. That's an incredible talent.

"We call some of the plays that produce those (lobs), but mostly it's him and Carmelo (Anthony) and him and Marcus (Camby) and him and Kenyon (Martin). When we played Minnesota (a 107-104 victory April 8) and it was close at the end, we had four layups and three dunks in the last three minutes alone.

"But we don't go for layups. We go for the jugular."

The secret to connecting with lobs for dunks, Miller said, is communication, a lot of it non-verbal.

"It's eye contact, just communication that way," said Miller, who finished No. 8 in assists at 6.9 per game. "Having some athletic players you are playing with helps, too, guys who can catch."

Anthony, Miller's primary targets for lobs, has the best hands among the Nuggets' big men. But Camby and Martin also are adept at catching Miller's passes, often fired with a lot more steam than the typical lob.

"I've never seen a group of big guys with better hands," Nuggets assistant coach Doug Moe said.

Knowing there are soft hands available to soak up his passes boosts Miller's confidence in throwing them.

"They've gotten used to me throwing the ball up there," he said, "and I've gotten used to them catching everything. These guys like to catch my lobs. They want me to throw them, and I like taking the chances you take when you do throw them."

***Sounds to me like the Nuggets are more worried about getting their alley oops. Funny how the Spurs will be working on shutting down the passing lanes and controlling the tempo while Denver thinks this circus stuff is gonna carry over into the post season.

Mr. Body
04-22-2005, 02:10 PM
That alley-oop stuff is going to disappear.

Man In Black
04-22-2005, 03:30 PM
That alley-oop shit gets tossed out the window when Rasho, Tim, Nazr and other playoff roster big, just occupy the space in front of the rim. You can't really jump over someone who is 7 feet tall 250 lbs unless that 7 ft guy is a French center named Frederich Weiss.

MadDog73
04-22-2005, 03:32 PM
Speaking of, is Rasho in or out of the first games? Or is it still a CIA coverup?

timvp
04-22-2005, 03:33 PM
He'll probably be listed as doubtful. If Rasho has pride, he'll be on the court.

slayermin
04-22-2005, 03:33 PM
You can't really jump over someone who is 7 feet tall 250 lbs unless that 7 ft guy is a French center named Frederich Weiss.

It also helps if you have hops like Vinsanity or Josh Smith.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-22-2005, 04:22 PM
He'll probably be listed as doubtful. If Rasho has pride, he'll be on the court.

Exactly. Tape that ankle, take an anti-inflamatory, and get your white-non-vertical leaping ass out there!

T Park
04-22-2005, 04:57 PM
double standards...

timvp
04-22-2005, 04:59 PM
double standards...

?

T Park
04-22-2005, 05:01 PM
If the guy is hurt, and him out there on a bad ankle doesnt help you, WTF does pride have to do with it.

Solid D
04-22-2005, 05:06 PM
If only Rasho made more eye contact... :depressed

Cant_Be_Faded
04-22-2005, 05:06 PM
If the guy is hurt, and him out there on a bad ankle doesnt help you, WTF does pride have to do with it.

cuz we all saw him get hurt and it didnt look that bad

T Park
04-22-2005, 05:08 PM
lol.

According to YOU it aint that bad. How the fuck do you know??

are you in practice?? WTf kind of stupid statement is that?!?!?!?

Obstructed_View
04-22-2005, 05:12 PM
Settle down, TPark.

timvp
04-22-2005, 05:20 PM
Rasho twisted his ankle by just stepping with the side of his foot. It wasn't like he landed on anything. Although painful, two weeks is plenty.

Wrap it up and play.

I suspect he will.

T Park
04-22-2005, 05:22 PM
and if it hasnt progressed you dont.

That simple.

Duncan has had a month.

WTF is his.

timvp
04-22-2005, 05:43 PM
Duncan landed on Rasheeds foot. Rasho took a step and missed the sole of his shoe. I've seen him walking and there is no limp.

But I believe he's going to play. Pop just didn't want him to roll in in the finale.

Believe.