PDA

View Full Version : Clausen and Tate to enter NFL draft

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-07-2009, 05:26 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4721703

Clausen, Tate to enter NFL draft

By Tom Friend
ESPN.com

Jimmy Clausen (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=231813) enrolled at Notre Dame to learn about the NFL. Looks like he's learned enough.
Following the advice of deposed Irish coach Charlie Weis, Clausen has decided to forgo his senior season and enter this April's draft. Rated as perhaps the top quarterback in this year's class, he is believed to be coveted by St. Louis, Cleveland and Washington -- three teams that will conceivably pick in the top five.

“ Coach Weis told me whether he was going to be here or not be here, it was time for me to go. He thought I've improved so much since I came to Notre Dame. So, I'm taking his advice, and I'm going to head out.
” -- Jimmy Clausen "After the season, in talking to my parents and obviously Coach Weis, I just feel it's the right time," Clausen told ESPN.com on Monday before a scheduled 2 p.m. ET news conference in South Bend. "Coach Weis told me whether he was going to be here or not be here, it was time for me to go. He thought I've improved so much since I came to Notre Dame. So, I'm taking his advice, and I'm going to head out."
Notre Dame wide receiver Golden Tate (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=237421) also announced he will enter the draft Monday.
The consensus No. 1 high school recruit in the country three years ago, Clausen chose Notre Dame over USC solely because of Weis' NFL pedigree. Weis -- who tutored both Tom Brady (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2330) and Drew Bledsoe (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=393) in New England -- assured Clausen he would prepare him best for the pro game, and Clausen rewarded the coach with a spectacular junior season.
He completed 68 percent of his passes, and threw 28 touchdowns with only four interceptions -- three of which were tipped. Weis has told NFL scouts that Clausen "didn't miss a read all year," and particularly raved about his accuracy and personal growth.
As a freshman, coming off elbow surgery, Clausen weighed only 190 pounds and played behind a porous offensive line. He was vilified during that year's 3-9 season, but bounced back as a sophomore to lead Notre Dame to its first bowl victory since 1994 (over Hawaii). In the offseason before his junior year, he invited several Irish receivers to his home in Westlake Village, Calif., and the bonding experience paid off. He was picked as a team captain, and ended up throwing 24 of his touchdowns to wide receivers Tate and Michael Floyd (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=379067).
The Irish slumped to a 6-6 finish, and Clausen was sucker punched by a fan outside of a South Bend bar after a devastating overtime loss to Connecticut. But six days later, he threw for 340 yards and five touchdowns at Stanford, and his ability to persevere is why several general managers, who have requested anonymity, believe he is the most NFL-ready quarterback in this year's draft. They say he's already mastered an NFL offense, has already been subjected to a leaky offensive line and has already been part of a rebuilding process. They like that he played his entire college career on national TV and that he thrived in one of the biggest fishbowls in sports: Notre Dame.
"The scrutiny of being the quarterback at Notre Dame and the head coach at Notre Dame is tough," said Clausen, who is 6-foot-3, 225 pounds. "And I think it'll prepare me really well for the next level."
Clausen's other advantage, according to scouts, is that he's already 22 and has already been away from home to play football -- meaning the transition to the pro lifestyle won't be an issue. The other top-rated quarterbacks in the upcoming draft -- Sam Bradford (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=188934) of Oklahoma and Colt McCoy (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=175772) of Texas, to name two -- went to college in their home states.
"I don't think I could've gone to a better place to get prepared to play than under someone like Coach Weis," Clausen said. "The NFL is something I've always wanted to do since I was a little kid growing up. It's just a dream come true, and I'm just having a great time right now.
"It'll probably be just like going from high school to college, but a lot faster than college is. Obviously, being under Coach Weis, being in a pro-style offense, knowing the terminologies, will help me. But the biggest thing will probably be just getting in the playbook and mentally preparing myself to do everything I can to get on the field as quick as I can and help whichever team I go to win."

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Not much of a surprise. IMO Clausen is the best NFL prospect at QB.

gaKNOW!blee
12-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Not much of a surprise. IMO Clausen is the best NFL prospect at QB.

I agree...and honestly unless Locker declares I don't even think it's close. I think Clausen is twice the prospect Brady Quinn was.

The Gemini Method
12-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Had his best year this year and will be the 1st QB taken, but won't be the first pick in the overall draft. I don't see him falling past 4 in draft.

IronMexican
12-07-2009, 05:36 PM
I still like Bradford.

Spursfan092120
12-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Hmm...this reminds me of the Ryan Leaf conversation I had with a friend when he came out...

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-07-2009, 05:44 PM
I agree...and honestly unless Locker declares I don't even think it's close. I think Clausen is twice the prospect Brady Quinn was.

Idk what the big fuss about Locker is, but I agree that Clausen is a better NFL prospect than Quinn. Quinn woulda been horrible with the line Jimmy had to deal with.

Spursfan092120
12-07-2009, 05:47 PM
http://www.sportsrejects.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/ryan_leaf-223x300.jpg

monosylab1k
12-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Sorry but I just don't see it. I watched alot of Notre Dame this year, and Clausen did very little to impress me. He was never bad, but never did anything spectacular. He just kind of existed. On top of that he didn't win shit.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-07-2009, 05:49 PM
How the hell do you compare Jimmy Clausen to Ryan Leaf?

IronMexican
12-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Clausen could be good. I really don't know though. He has had a loaded offense this year, so it's going to be different to see him with less weapons. Best thing for him is to sit at least this year and learn. It would be funny if the Browns drafted him.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Clausen could be good. I really don't know though. He has had a loaded offense this year, so it's going to be different to see him with less weapons. Best thing for him is to sit at least this year and learn. It would be funny if the Browns drafted him.

He had weapons but had a horrible offensive line and had turf toe most of the season.

Spursfan092120
12-07-2009, 06:03 PM
How the hell do you compare Jimmy Clausen to Ryan Leaf?
Not really comparing them. Just saying that people saying someone is a great QB prospect means jack shit. They have to perform. And comparing someone's college career to Ryan Leaf would be a huge compliment. He threw for over 330 yards a game, broke a then Pac-10 record with 33 TDs and led Washington State to a Rose Bowl victory, along with their first and only Pac-10 title in school history. Just saying you never know what a guy's going to do once he's in the big time.

monosylab1k
12-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Clausen didn't accomplish 1/10th of what Ryan Leaf did in college. Not saying that matters much, but at least Leaf did enough in college to warrant some hype. Clausen hasn't done shit.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Not really comparing them. Just saying that people saying someone is a great QB prospect means jack shit. They have to perform. And comparing someone's college career to Ryan Leaf would be a huge compliment. He threw for over 330 yards a game, broke a then Pac-10 record with 33 TDs and led Washington State to a Rose Bowl victory, along with their first and only Pac-10 title in school history. Just saying you never know what a guy's going to do once he's in the big time.

OK.....so what you're saying is we don't know how good a QB will be in the NFL until he proves himself in the NFL.....thanks for that important tidbit.

IronMexican
12-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Clausen didn't accomplish 1/10th of what Ryan Leaf did in college. Not saying that matters much, but at least Leaf did enough in college to warrant some hype. Clausen hasn't done shit.

He's done more than other prospects who have gotten unwarranted hype.

Hi Snead.

monosylab1k
12-07-2009, 06:12 PM

Hi Snead.

:lmao very true.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-07-2009, 06:13 PM

What exactly has Jake Locker done Monoslob (:lmao, get it, I changed your name so it says "slob"), that's the hyped up QB I really don't get.

dirk4mvp
12-07-2009, 06:14 PM

Hi Snead.

It was warranted last year. Not many people win in the swamp and in baton rouge the same season. This year, not so much.

Spursfan092120
12-07-2009, 06:14 PM
OK.....so what you're saying is we don't know how good a QB will be in the NFL until he proves himself in the NFL.....thanks for that important tidbit.
you're welcome. :D

monosylab1k
12-07-2009, 06:15 PM
What exactly has Jake Locker done Monoslob (:lmao, get it, I changed your name so it says "slob"), that's the hyped up QB I really don't get.

not much of anything, but beating USC once is still more than Clausen.

Spursfan092120
Case Keenum anyone?

IronMexican
LSU hasn't been good since 2007. I'll give him the UF game. he's been bad all this season. Snead is lucky he's not a senior. Or else he would have gotten Brohm'd.

gaKNOW!blee
12-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Clausen was actually pretty clutch this year. That defense choked away a lot of late game leads.

28 TD 4 INT...in a pro style offense, yeah he had two great receivers but even when Floyd went down it didnt really effect him. He has the same accuracy as Bradford and Mccoy its just he can actually make NFL throws and has the arm strength. And his arm hasnt been recently operated on.

stretch
12-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Bradford is the best QB in this class, and its not even close.

IronMexican
12-07-2009, 06:20 PM
And I like Locker, but he throws on the run too much. He's got an NFL body.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Clausen was actually pretty clutch this year. That defense choked away a lot of late game leads.

28 TD 4 INT...in a pro style offense, yeah he had two great receivers but even when Floyd went down it didnt really effect him. He has the same accuracy as Bradford and Mccoy its just he can actually make NFL throws and has the arm strength. And his arm hasnt been recently operated on.

Keep in mind McCoy also had a great running game to keep defenses honest....Clausen never had an established running game.

gaKNOW!blee
12-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Bradford is the best QB in this class, and its not even close.

Until I see someone other than Drew Brees succeed in the NFL after playing in a spread offense, I'm not buying it.

monosylab1k
12-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Keep in mind McCoy also had a great running game to keep defenses honest

Texas' running game has been an abortion this year.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Texas' running game has been an abortion this year.

You're right actually.....I have no idea why I said that.

IronMexican
12-07-2009, 06:28 PM
I really haven't seen Texas good at running all season. Weren't the analyst talking about them finally having a running game this year?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-07-2009, 06:31 PM
I watched basically every ND game this year and that running game was non-existent....regardless of the other QB's, I don't think ND's losing record the last 3 years can be put on Clausen. He was never given a defense or offensive line near good enough to be a BCS contender.

mookie2001
12-07-2009, 06:55 PM
I really haven't seen Texas good at running all season. Weren't the analyst talking about them finally having a running game this year?
no and no

and by finally i guess you mean since 2007

samikeyp
12-07-2009, 07:03 PM
I like Dan Lefevour from Central Michigan slightly ahead of him. He won't be drafted as high probably though.

IronMexican
12-07-2009, 08:19 PM
no and no

and by finally i guess you mean since 2007

My mistake. I thought I heard ESPN(Very reliable) talking about UT getting a ground game. I might have just heard D or something.

SpursFanFirst
12-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Sorry but I just don't see it. I watched alot of Notre Dame this year, and Clausen did very little to impress me. He was never bad, but never did anything spectacular. He just kind of existed. On top of that he didn't win shit.

We seem to be the only two.
I like Claussen, and I think he'll do well in the NFL, but I think it's too soon.
He's pretty erratic on the field. He reminds me of Favre when he just tosses the ball in the air in hopes that SOMEONE is there to catch it. He just makes too many ill-advised throws.

Tate, on the other hand, might be all set.

gaKNOW!blee
12-07-2009, 09:15 PM
I like Claussen, and I think he'll do well in the NFL, but I think it's too soon.
He's pretty erratic on the field. He reminds me of Favre when he just tosses the ball in the air in hopes that SOMEONE is there to catch it. He just makes too many ill-advised throws.

Well, we certainly woudn't want that.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-07-2009, 09:26 PM
he just tosses the ball in the air and knows that Floyd or Tate is there to catch it. He just makes too many ill-advised throws.

fify

j-6
12-07-2009, 09:38 PM

Totally agree.

Clausen needs to wind up in Seattle or Carolina, some place where he can be Aaron Rodgers for a couple of years before losing the visor. I think he'll be fine if he doesn't wind up being the savior and thrown into NFL gameplay too soon.

Golden Tate starts for a lot of teams tomorrow, by the way.

My wife has a funny take on this. She thinks QB's with cutesy little boy names are destined to suck because of Joey Harrington. "Wouldn't he be better if he got a big tat, slapped a stripper around and made TMZ, and called himself Joe?"

SpursFanFirst
12-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Well, we certainly woudn't want that.

Please. If you can't see that he throws the ball willy-nilly many times just hoping someone will be there to catch it, then you're blind. How else did he become king of the interceptions?

SpursFanFirst
12-07-2009, 09:43 PM
fify

If you say so. Have you actually watched him play? He gets lucky that someone is there to actually catch the ball.

gaKNOW!blee
12-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Please. If you can't see that he throws the ball willy-nilly many times just hoping someone will be there to catch it, then you're blind. How else did he become king of the interceptions?

You mean as a true sophomore??

He threw 4 picks this year....FOUR.

He doesn't just hope someone will be there, he KNOWS. It's called knowing your personnel. Its actually something I wish more NFL quarterbacks would do. WR's are generally taller and have better ball skills than DB's....quarterbacks dont trust their receivers enough IMO. Clausen does.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-07-2009, 11:03 PM
If you say so. Have you actually watched him play? He gets lucky that someone is there to actually catch the ball.

I live with a die hard ND fan, I watched every game this year.

Whisky Dog
12-07-2009, 11:36 PM
That's one ugly kid, this Clausen. I'd draft him based on that, he's had to work for his pussy he's so ugly.

Whisky Dog
12-07-2009, 11:37 PM
Keep in mind McCoy also had a great running game to keep defenses honest....Clausen never had an established running game.

LMFAO!!! Quote blooper of the year!!!

Whisky Dog
12-07-2009, 11:42 PM
My mistake. I thought I heard ESPN(Very reliable) talking about UT getting a ground game. I might have just heard D or something.

A ground game that didn't get Jack shit done running on a team playing 6 or 7 DBs for 95% of the game.

I think Newton's a damn good back, but the oline just isn't knock you off the line physical. They're more passive, pass blocking style but even fuck that up sometimes like against Nebraska.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-08-2009, 12:08 AM
That's one ugly kid, this Clausen. I'd draft him based on that, he's had to work for his pussy he's so ugly.

Sucks that he had to give his final press conference with that big blood stain in his eye :lol

mookie2001
12-08-2009, 12:34 AM
if youre leaving after three years its perfectly fair to bring up the soph year

i personally have no regard for clausen

SpursFanFirst
12-08-2009, 03:42 AM
You mean as a true sophomore??

He threw 4 picks this year....FOUR.

He doesn't just hope someone will be there, he KNOWS. It's called knowing your personnel. Its actually something I wish more NFL quarterbacks would do. WR's are generally taller and have better ball skills than DB's....quarterbacks dont trust their receivers enough IMO. Clausen does.

I was referring to Favre