PDA

View Full Version : Why International Players Need to Remember Who Pays Them

duncan228
12-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Why International Players Need to Remember Who Pays Them (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-whyinternationalplay&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

Players from other countries, I totally have my eyes on you. First, it was Gasol suggesting that he might skip international play this summer (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Baseline/entry/view/42977/gasols_hamstring_injury_raises_latest_point_in_clu b_vs._country_debate). That’s the right thing to do, especially if you’re playing for a potential dynasty. Now Hedo Turkoglu—who, if you remember, was expected to be the savior of no fewer than two NBA squads—is getting a free pass because of his busy summer.

From HOOPSWORLD:

"He’s probably not in the type of shape that he was in for the majority of the time he was in Orlando just because he played in the European Championships," Triano explained. "Going to the NBA Finals and then playing in the European Championships kept him away from the team until September. Then we had to give him a little time off so he wouldn’t break down." […]

Raptors center Andrea Bargnani agreed, explaining, "In Orlando he was there for a long time, so he knew exactly how to play with Dwight (Howard) and (Rashard) Lewis. He knew where they wanted the ball and what they were going to do during the game. Here, he doesn’t know that because he’s with new guys and we didn’t have much time to practice together because he missed the preseason for the European Championships. He just needs time."

No! I’m sorry, that’s totally not cool, much less a real excuse. Okay, the Finals thing works. But then, if a guy knows he’s headed to new team, one where he’s expected to play a major role … shouldn’t Turkoglu not only avoid expending energy elsewhere, but join his teammates to get up to speed on the team he’s supposed to save? Bargnani is saying, more or less, "he doesn’t know what’s up because he hasn’t been around." And that’s something a team’s supposed to sanction?

I am trying to think of a parallel situation that shows a double-standard, as I did with the Gasol situation. But I can’t. Maybe, say, a well-known player openly eschewing practice? LeBron deciding he had to make his dream of playing with the Browns come true, rather than work with the team in the preseason? I get that nationalism is the engine of humanity, but come on NBA teams, grow a pair. If you’re overpaying the guy, at least exercise some control over him.

Wade Has Better Things to do Than Honor America (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-wadehasbetterthingst&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

About that Turkoglu post, and players—foreign or otherwise—realizing that NBA teams pay them and they’d best take heed: How about Dwyane Wade reconsidering his USA Basketball duties, or at least this summer’s World Championships? From SunSentinel.com (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-notes-s120609,0,7863359.story):

Wade previously had vowed to follow the leads of friends and 2008 Olympians LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony. But with James and Wade to be free agents next summer, there is some hesitancy to add to what already could be a hectic offseason.

"It’s tough," Wade said. "I’ve made a commitment. I’m committed to USA-B. It’s tough this summer. I have to wait. And it’s not just because of the contract. It’s a long season. I’ve got to wait to see how my body feels, as well. So it’s not as easy as other summers."

Wait, is the distinction here that Turkoglu and hypothetically Gasol are looking to rip off teams they already play for, while Wade will be in the middle of deciding his future and monitoring the choices the Heat (and others) make in this crazy offseason. For his part, Chairman Colangelo anticipated this:

Colangelo has structured an offseason schedule that would allow free agents to handle their business before getting down into the meat of the national-team schedule. A minicamp the third week of July could be made optional for those involved in free agency, with the national team then to begin training the second week of July in Las Vegas. The 2010 free-agency signing period begins July 8, with negotiations allowed to begin July 1.

Maybe I’m just tired, but this still doesn’t seem to address Wade’s need to keep close tabs on, well, pretty much all the player movement around the league. To say nothing of a third mini-camp being the optional one; what if Wade gets hurt in an earlier one? Forget national honor or Gasol and Turkoglu. This is one of the league’s best players, with the fate of several franchises hanging in the balance. And we’re talking about "World Championships"?

Conspiracy theory buffs and sentimentalists take note: there’s no mention of LeBron feeling this pressure. Which can only mean … the die has already been cast. I’ll wait and let that collective chill set in.

Double-Up
12-07-2009, 06:11 PM
If certain teams start telling players they can't play international ball but other teams don't, there's an obvious advantage for one of them. I'm guessing this will be addressed in the next CBA.

urunobili
12-07-2009, 07:33 PM
lol this article full of gangsta'

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-07-2009, 08:21 PM
and America needs to stop calling the Lakers 'world champions' etc, but it will never happen.

On second thoughts, it may happen when China is the new world superpower within the next decade :lol