PDA

View Full Version : Gallup - "Majority of Republicans Doubt Theory of Evolution"

Nbadan
12-07-2009, 10:28 PM
..and here you thought it was a Spurstalk wing-nut phenomena...

PRINCETON, NJ -- The majority of Republicans in the United States do not believe the theory of evolution is true and do not believe that humans evolved over millions of years from less advanced forms of life. This suggests that when three Republican presidential candidates at a May debate stated they did not believe in evolution, they were generally in sync with the bulk of the rank-and-file Republicans whose nomination they are seeking to obtain.

Independents and Democrats are more likely than Republicans to believe in the theory of evolution. But even among non-Republicans there appears to be a significant minority who doubt that evolution adequately explains where humans came from.

The data from several recent Gallup studies suggest that Americans' religious behavior is highly correlated with beliefs about evolution. Those who attend church frequently are much less likely to believe in evolution than are those who seldom or never attend. That Republicans tend to be frequent churchgoers helps explain their doubts about evolution.

###

Republicans Most Likely to Reject Evolution

As noted previously, belief in evolution has been injected into the political debate already this year, with much attention given to the fact three Republican presidential candidates answered a debate question by saying that they did not believe in evolution.

It appears that these candidates are, in some ways, "preaching to the choir" in terms of addressing their own party's constituents -- the group that matters when it comes to the GOP primaries. Republicans are much more likely to be religious and attend church than independents or Democrats in general. Therefore, it comes as no great surprise to find that Republicans are also significantly more likely not to believe in evolution than are independents and Democrats.

Gallup (http://www.gallup.com/poll/27847/Majority-Republicans-Doubt-Theory-Evolution.aspx)

Perhaps it's because these neanderthals have never evolved. None-the-less the Sarah Palin/Mike Huckabee wing of the GOP is batshit crazy...and these are the people who are criticizing our President?

TeyshaBlue
12-07-2009, 11:14 PM

Gallup (http://www.gallup.com/poll/27847/Majority-Republicans-Doubt-Theory-Evolution.aspx)

Perhaps it's because these neanderthals have never evolved. None-the-less the Sarah Palin/Mike Huckabee wing of the GOP is batshit crazy...and these are the people who are criticizing our President?
So the Republican response mimics approx half of the country's response.

You're not very good at this.

Majority of Republicans Doubt Theory of Evolution

More Americans accept theory of creationism than evolution

"But even among non-Republicans there appears to be a significant minority who doubt that evolution adequately explains where humans came from."

"With that said, Americans' responses to this question are essentially split down the middle. About half say they do believe in evolution and about half say they do not."

Intellectual dishonesty is so easy to see thru. Try to do better, dan.

mogrovejo
12-07-2009, 11:18 PM
I remember a poll indicating that most democrats believed in economic protectionism. Same stuff.

Nbadan
12-07-2009, 11:26 PM
More Americans accept theory of creationism than evolution

...now who's being intellectually dishonest?

Most recently, in Gallup’s February 19-21 poll, 45% of respondents chose "God created human beings pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years or so," the statement that most closely describes biblical creationism. A slightly larger percentage, almost half, chose one of the two evolution-oriented statements: 37% selected "Human beings have developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life, but God guided this process" and 12% chose "Human beings have developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life, but God had no part in this process."

The public has not notably changed its opinion on this question since Gallup started asking it in 1982.

Give you a wild guess which half is more likely to believe that the earth is only 10k years old....
Link (http://www.unl.edu/rhames/courses/current/creation/evol-poll.htm)

TeyshaBlue
12-07-2009, 11:33 PM

Give you a wild guess which half is more likely to believe that the earth is only 10k years old....
Link (http://www.unl.edu/rhames/courses/current/creation/evol-poll.htm)

The statement I used, "More Americans accept theory of creationism than evolution. " came from your link! You didn't see it? Wow...nice job of reading your material before you post. :rollin:rollin

You trotted the data out with predictable partisan spin. I simply put it in context. You're still screwing yourself with your links. You post the same poll results from 2001 that show pretty much the same thing. Nothing in this link differentiates a population. Seriously, give it up. You're really bad at this.

If you want to make the point that Christians are more likely to believe in creationism (duh) and that there are more Christians in the Republican party than the Democratic party (double duh), then you might be able to make a point that any demented 9 year old could make. Congrats on that, I guess.

TeyshaBlue
12-07-2009, 11:49 PM

Btw...I'm not trying to make a point or even defend Republicans. I'm simply pointing out bullshit when I see it. I don't have to back up a point or prove a thing. The poll data does that for me.

Nbadan
12-08-2009, 12:24 AM
If you want to make the point that Christians are more likely to believe in creationism (duh) and that there are more Christians in the Republican party than the Democratic party (double duh), then you might be able to make a point that any demented 9 year old could make. Congrats on that, I guess.

Don't be making straw-men...I'm not a religion hater....my disbelief is in that so many Americans think that the earth is only 10,000 years old....

I think most people want to believe that there is some thing more to this shitty life and thus you get religion and doubts in science and evolution....

...I think the answer is right in front of them, but they just won't see it..

EmptyMan
12-08-2009, 01:00 AM
What do I care if my political officials believed we evolved from tacos or we did not evolve from chalupas.

As long as they are fiscally responsible and have common sense (save the evolution), I couldn't give two burritos.

Nbadan
12-08-2009, 01:03 AM
OK, we get it, your pro-Ron Paul...

TeyshaBlue
12-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Don't be making straw-men...I'm not a religion hater....my disbelief is in that so many Americans think that the earth is only 10,000 years old....

I think most people want to believe that there is some thing more to this shitty life and thus you get religion and doubts in science and evolution....

...I think the answer is right in front of them, but they just won't see it..

Frankly, I share your disbelief. But I don't ascribe this phenomenon to political affiliation and I'm not real sure why you feel the need to do that. I know the article was titled that way (which is a whole 'nother can of worms to wade through) but even a cursory examination reveals that the headline "Majority of Republicans Doubt Theory of Evolution", is at best, disingenuous.

Phenomanul
12-08-2009, 05:51 PM

But you're OK with the fact that a majority of the 'left wing' pushes anthropogenic global warming as a legitimate view? Including the President himself?

spursncowboys
12-08-2009, 05:59 PM
But it's OK that a majority of the 'left wing' pushes anthropogenic global warming as a legitimate view?
Or that the big bang and us coming from apes are not an illogical leap of faith.