PDA

View Full Version : ESPNews reporting

Obstructed_View
04-22-2005, 04:10 PM
Didn't see this elsewhere, but ESPNews is reporting that Rasho "might not play Sunday"

That one deserves a big "Gee, ya think?"

T Park
04-22-2005, 04:20 PM
nothin new about that.

Spurs will need Rasho to beat the Nuggets.

IceColdBrewski
04-22-2005, 04:23 PM
Let him rest. We don't need him that much.

Obstructed_View
04-22-2005, 04:26 PM
Since the big concern is apparently Earl Boykins I suppose you are right, Brewski. :)

Solid D
04-22-2005, 04:35 PM
My biggest concern is keeping Camby from roaming on Spurs' penetrations. They need him out of the lane and away from TP and Manu.

My second biggest concern is FT differential. I did some research and Denver averaged 31.2 FT attempts per game during that 25-4 run to finish the season. That is 3 more than their overall season average prior to Karl becoming the head coach. The Spurs averaged 25.85 FT attempts. If the Spurs can keep the Nuggets off the line, particularly Melo, they'll be successful.

Obstructed_View
04-22-2005, 04:42 PM
A lot of the extra free throws seem to be due to the fast break. The few games I saw the Nuggets were really pushing the ball, and if the defense isn't back it results in cheap fouls.

Solid D
04-22-2005, 04:50 PM
Carmelo is 12th in the NBA in FT attempts, almost 8 per game, and he shoots 80%. I agree with you partially regarding fastbreaks, OV, but Melo and Martin are the ones getting to the line and they get fouled inside a lot, too.

Denver leaves the rebounding up to their front line and they snowbird for a lot of their fastbreaks. That's another way to beat the Nuggets. Get everyone (guards) involved in efforting rebounds.

Obstructed_View
04-22-2005, 05:05 PM
Does snowbird mean they get lots of putbacks? If so I agree completely, because I don't remember KMart being much of a post up threat. Carmello can do it, but like I said, I didn't see much of a slowdown type game from them since Karl came in. They do take much smarter shots, and close to the basket is the highest percentage.

Getting everyone back on defense is key to prevent fouls and to get rebounds, especially with the midget in the game. He'll run up your chest on one play and pull up from 15 feet if you are on your heels.

Solid D
04-22-2005, 05:13 PM
I'm sorry. No snowbirding means leaking out on shots before the ball gets to the rim and hoping to get the touchdown pass for the easy basket.

Obstructed_View
04-22-2005, 05:17 PM
Ah, gotcha. Never heard it called that before, and I got brainlock. It's the same principle that you don't let them get behind you. And again, we probably agree that it's not a big adjustment for this team, as they play disciplined defense.

Solid D
04-22-2005, 05:40 PM
http://www.langmaker.com/db/eng_snowbird.htm

snowbird
Part of Speech n.
Etymology [snow + bird.]
Definition 1. A bird common to snowy regions, such as the junco or artic finch. 2. A person who winters in a warm climate to escape a cold climate. 3. A person who ordinarily drives to work but takes public transportation when it snows. 4. A basketball player who hangs back when all the other players go to the other net.

exstatic
04-22-2005, 06:01 PM
That's another way to beat the Nuggets. Get everyone (guards) involved in efforting rebounds.

That's just the wrong way to do it. The Spurs guards have specific assignments that can be thrown off if they even shoot from the wrong place, i.e. the baseline. They are always positioned to do "defensive snowbirding" and get back before the offensive players. Rebounding angles are too chancy a "basket" to put all your fastbreak defensive eggs in. The BEST way to stop the break is the way the Spurs do it: GET BACK FAST. Shit, if they can grind Phoenix's break to a halt for long stretches, Denver's should pose no problems.

Solid D
04-22-2005, 06:14 PM
I respectfully disagree, ex. I agree getting back is important. That is how they neutralized the Nets in 2002-03. I disagree with your point that the Spurs should not make extra effort in the backcourt to rebound and follow their shots, particularly from the perimeter.

Rynospursfan
04-22-2005, 06:26 PM
In my eyes you have to have a balance between the two. If everyone is crashing the boards, it will be easy for the opposing team to burn you on the fast break. If the perimeter players are hanging back to much you can get killed on the boards. You have to find the right ballance based on your opponent. With Denver I think we need to lean towards hanging back a bit. This will slow the pace of the game. Then try to catch them off guard every once in a while with a slashing rebounder.