PDA

View Full Version : The thing that 's upsetting me...

ffadicted
12-07-2009, 11:51 PM
No, I don't want to trade tony/manu/RJ or fire Pop, nor do I think Holt wasted money this summer. If you watched the first half of the game (especially 1st quarter) and the 4th, the spurs looked SCARY good. Duncan was on fire, TP was playing well, our bench was clicking, and our defense was tough (and we all know about Bonner tonight). The team was working well together, solid execution, and it was gorgeous basketball to watch. Needless to say, we outscored Utah 82 - 67 in those quarters.

Then the 3rd quarter was a completely different story. Out of nowhere, the team lost its will, heart, and started playing sloppy basketball. They forgot their fundamentals, and blew a big lead. I'm not sure what happened, but out of nowhere, everything suddenly went wrong in a certain span of time. Turn overs, bad shots, sloppy D.... everything. The same basic story happened in the denver and boston games.

Basically what I'm getting at is this spurs team is most definitely lacking something, but it's not something fixed with a trade or change in coaching staff. This is a problem the team itself has to fix; they have to start playing with pride again. I'm not making excuses for them, I'm definitly holding them accountable. But not their skill; there's a big difference between shit like "can't do", "can't play defense" and "aren't doing". The spurs just aren't doing the things they should, and CAN, to pull out wins against teams. Denver, Boston and Utah were close and very winnable games, that in my opinion, the spurs lost to themselves.

So in summary, I guess I'm just upset that it seems the team just isn't putting their hearts and pride into games, and they aren't playing with the effort, intensity, and killer instinct of champions that we've come to expect. I just want to see the silver and black heart shine once again! It's there, just hidden somewhere.... and I can't wait until the day we find it.
Until then, hang in there guys! :flag:

PS: Not usually one to get angry at stupid comments by fans after losses because I know they're just as heartbroken as I am... but do you guys seriously think that last play went as designed by pop? Gimme a break.... shit happens, things don't go as expected, and they had to get a shot off. That's just basketball.

Budkin
12-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Great post... all these games have been really close. It's coming.

RodNIc91
12-07-2009, 11:56 PM
Totally agree with you. Like Pop likes to say, we arent competing for the entire 48 minutes. And the thing about the Killer instinct I completely agree. I was thinking that from about the Boston game. That instict to terminate the game is gone. I think that is what is missing. I know we'll get through this, although I cannot say I'm happy with the L either.

JustinJDW
12-07-2009, 11:57 PM
This Thread = Win.

EmptyMan
12-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Once they lose enough games and hit rock bottom they will find their swagger. That is the only option after reaching your low.

Look how Bonner responded tonight. Pretty soon the entire Spurs team will play pissed like that.

xellos88330
I really think that one of the coaches or players need to call out this team. They need to wake up and remember that it is a 48 minute game. I am sick of seeing the Spurs be the victim of a bad call and just trot down the court with their heads down.

EDIT: Great thread btw!!!

Yogurt210
the storm is coming.....it def. is.

Yogurt210
12-07-2009, 11:59 PM
the storm is coming.....it def. is.

awake sleeping giants!

murpjf88
12-08-2009, 12:00 AM
Great post... all these games have been really close. It's coming.

what's coming? A smack in the face telling you to wake up from that dream.

spurtech09
12-08-2009, 12:02 AM
yeah spurs have been playing well in the first 2 quarters but when they come out of half time they start losing there momentum....there not finishing there games right

ElNono
12-08-2009, 12:02 AM
Maybe Pop needs to pull the soft card early again...
I don't really care how many points we scored. If you tell me we allowed 60+ points in two quarters, we're not going anywhere...

neboat
12-08-2009, 12:03 AM
the spurs right now are not taking the game and the losses personally....and quite frankly, it's up to TP and TD to light the fire. Duncan needs to be more vocal, both praising and being critical of his teammates. You've got a lot of new guys and some younger guys on this team...the leaders need to lead and give an example. I think we miss Bowen in this aspect along with his defense.

I don't know what the hell RJ is doing... but he looks like a guy that needs to play with some emotion in order to play well...he's better when he is pissed... Same with Blair. The leaders need to do a better job of getting this team to play with some fire. RJ and our role players are not playing with much confidence right now.....

Libri
12-08-2009, 12:03 AM
I really think that one of the coaches or players need to call out this team. They need to wake up and remember that it is a 48 minute game. I am sick of seeing the Spurs be the victim of a bad call and just trot down the court with their heads down.

IIRC, Pop usually calls team soft sometime around the Rodeo Road trip.

mexicanjunior
12-08-2009, 12:06 AM

Desperate times call for desperate measures...and "soft" is the perfect description for this team.

neboat
12-08-2009, 12:07 AM

That'll be way too late for this year's squad

Chieflion
12-08-2009, 12:07 AM
If that is the case, Timmy will have to Hakeem Olajuwon this team from the 6th seed this year.

pjjrfan
12-08-2009, 12:08 AM
This game was unlike Spurs games I am used to seeing. The rotations changed from the first half, We came back but then couldn't get a stop to seal the deal, the whole game except for Bonner's play was like an experiment. Throwing people out there to see what would happen, this is beginning to look frieghtning.

EricB
12-08-2009, 12:10 AM
This game was unlike Spurs games I am used to seeing. The rotations changed from the first half, We came back but then couldn't get a stop to seal the deal, the whole game except for Bonner's play was like an experiment. Throwing people out there to see what would happen, this is beginning to look frieghtning.

Maybe because, uhm,,,, alot of the team is new?

ffadicted
12-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Definitly agree with Pop calling out his players earlier this season, they need a jolt. I also wanna see tony manu and tim demand more of their teammates. Everything's gotta start with the team leaders, it always has.

androck
12-08-2009, 12:15 AM
Once they lose enough games and hit rock bottom they will find their swagger. That is the only option after reaching your low.

Look how Bonner responded tonight. Pretty soon the entire Spurs team will play pissed like that.

My favorite part of the game tonight was when Bonner got called for that loose ball foul on Boozer in the last minute of the 4th. He was furious. Two years ago, Bonner would have looked down at the floor and shook his head. Boozer proceeded to miss both free throws (THE BALL DON'T LIE) and we had a chance to win it at the end.

ffadicted
12-08-2009, 12:18 AM
My favorite part of the game tonight was when Bonner got called for that loose ball foul on Boozer in the last minute of the 4th. He was furious. Two years ago, Bonner would have looked down at the floor and shook his head. Boozer proceeded to miss both free throws (THE BALL DON'T LIE) and we had a chance to win it at the end.

You're right, and my favorite part about the game tonight was everything Bonner did. I'll even forgive him for the last shot; it was a bad shot, but he deserved to take it. We need to see effort like that from everybody, night in and night out.

neboat
12-08-2009, 12:18 AM
My favorite part of the game tonight was when Bonner got called for that loose ball foul on Boozer in the last minute of the 4th. He was furious.

Me too...it's nice to see Bonner playing with confidence...I don't mind he took the last shot, showed some balls...almost went in too

DJB
12-08-2009, 12:21 AM
I'll tell you exactly why this happens:

Popp is getting too fucking soft.

His halftime speech was probably as soft as one of his recent interviews of the early 2009/10 NBA season.

He needs to be drilling this fucking team every goddamn second like the old Poppovich did. No matter how well/shitty they're playing.

EricB
12-08-2009, 12:23 AM
I'll tell you exactly why this happens:

Popp is getting too fucking soft.

His halftime speech was probably as soft as one of his recent interviews of the early 2009/10 NBA season.

He needs to be drilling this fucking team every goddamn second like the old Poppovich did. No matter how well/shitty they're playing.

The old Pop never drilled teams into the ground.

Pop is still the same as he was in 99. Improved in some areas, not improved in others.

He's mellowed a tad in retrospect to early season games.

nuclearfm
12-08-2009, 12:25 AM
motivation lacking = bad coaching.

its simple

EricB
12-08-2009, 12:28 AM
motivation lacking = bad coaching.

its simple

Yup, bring back Bob Hill. He did a bang up job.

stealthjbravo
12-08-2009, 12:31 AM
I hope that fucker dies on the plane back

androck
12-08-2009, 12:34 AM
Pop just needs to show everyone the film tomorrow of RJs MONSTER block.

manu_maniac
12-08-2009, 12:34 AM
Who we really need now is Jerry Tarkanian.

Man In Black
12-08-2009, 12:54 AM
DISINTERESTED. I know they want to win, but there was a point when the Jazz was making their run that the Big 3 simply "littled" up. They didn't fight, they looked for calls, they settled for jump shots.

Since I had the Jazz broadcast, I can tell you that when Okur made that one 3 that stretched the lead out to 12 or so, the cameras caught our coaches being frustrated with the defensive switches on that sequence and others as well.

It ain't over by a long shot, but the team needs to PLAY BIG AGAIN for the rest of December.

SpursRulez4eVeR
12-08-2009, 12:55 AM
w/ 3mins left @ 4th quarter, we were up by 2 and out of NO WHERE, TONY PARKER fired a three?? Why??

sabar
12-08-2009, 01:00 AM
Bonner was everything we needed our starters to be tonight. He actually surprised me with the intensity that he was bringing, like it was personal. We've all seen Timmy D when he is like this. Right now, we need a game where everyone plays like they want it. As Pop says, stop playing for 36 minutes or 3 quarters or whatever.

SequSpur
12-08-2009, 01:01 AM
DISINTERESTED. I know they want to win, but there was a point when the Jazz was making their run that the Big 3 simply "littled" up. They didn't fight, they looked for calls, they settled for jump shots.

Since I had the Jazz broadcast, I can tell you that when Okur made that one 3 that stretched the lead out to 12 or so, the cameras caught our coaches being frustrated with the defensive switches on that sequence and others as well.

It ain't over by a long shot, but the team needs to PLAY BIG AGAIN for the rest of December.

Pop was going ballistic on the sideline and the Spurs players weren't responding....

A sign.

neboat
12-08-2009, 01:10 AM
Pop was going ballistic on the sideline and the Spurs players weren't responding....

A sign.

A sign that we need to move practice back to the morning....

HarlemHeat37
12-08-2009, 01:19 AM
Pop doesn't control Tony Parker's turnovers/lack of burst..

Pop doesn't control Manu Ginobili's age and mental/physical issues..

What is he supposed to do about those 2 factors?..they're supposed to be our 2nd and 3rd best players, they've been huge for this team for so long..what can you do when they aren't playing well?..

z0sa
12-08-2009, 01:21 AM
What is he supposed to do about those 2 factors?..they're supposed to be our 2nd and 3rd best players, they've been huge for this team for so long..what can you do when they aren't playing well?..

Run more plays for RJ? I felt Pop would almost use RJ interchangeably as the #2-4 option night in and night out, depending on matchups and how the team was playing.

Now it's more, Parker's #1, Pop/Parker makes sure Tim becomes #2 ... nothing else is guaranteed

Nathan Explosion
12-08-2009, 01:26 AM
I was talking with my brothers during the game and I said to them "Parker is the best best PG on this team (arguably the best perimeter player on the team) but some times it seems like Hill is the better Blair and Bonner were huge in the comeback.

Blair's D on Boozer was great and Bonner's outside shooting was amazing. I thought Pop should have let them ride for as long as he could and see what they could have done.

ElNono
12-08-2009, 01:28 AM

Manu was out for a full year, pretty much. And by out I mean he didn't visit a gym until two months ago. Of course he is going to take time. Took him like 10-15 games after coming back from injury at the beginning of the season last season. People just have short memory and are impatient.
I think the biggest issue here is that we were supposed to get a guy that on paper would produce 20 ppg, basically making us forget manu's scoring, but it hasn't happened. Tony regressing from last year didn't help either.

What Pop can do is keep giving players minutes and evaluate how they're doing and where they're at. Keep working on the defense and getting a better flow offensively. You know, we really are 3 more stops and 3 more baskets from being a very tough team to beat. If we can consistently bring our defensive A game, we have as good a shoot as anybody.

itzsoweezee
12-08-2009, 01:33 AM
lol @ people thinking that trades are going to fix this team's problems. spurs are playing horrible defense. popovich's "system" of defensive rotations is cute, but we need to get back to the good old days when the wings would funnel the opposing team into the paint. keep it simple and let the players play without worrying about "the system".

HarlemHeat37
12-08-2009, 01:39 AM
lol @ people thinking that trades are going to fix this team's problems. spurs are playing horrible defense. popovich's "system" of defensive rotations is cute, but we need to get back to the good old days when the wings would funnel the opposing team into the paint. keep it simple and let the players play without worrying about "the system".

we have too many liabilities on the perimeter defensively..it's tough..

Parker is one of the worst defensive players in the NBA right now..Mason and Finley don't play defense..Bogans' defense might not be good enough to make up for his O right now..

SpursWench21
12-08-2009, 01:45 AM
Solid thread, man. seriously one of the better ones ive looked at all year imo. I also agree completely. The fire inside will awaken the sleeping giant that is our Spurs.

team-work
12-08-2009, 02:16 AM
This is a problem the team itself has to fix; they have to start playing with pride again.

Well said. Winning brings pride, while with losing you can only draw positive things from it but confidence is still hurt. Hope this team has hit the bottom & will bounce back strong. I believe it starts with Pop & Tim. Their special bonding has worked wonders in turning corners, judging from the past Spurs championship teams.

ezau
12-08-2009, 02:21 AM
No, I don't want to trade tony/manu/RJ or fire Pop, nor do I think Holt wasted money this summer. If you watched the first half of the game (especially 1st quarter) and the 4th, the spurs looked SCARY good. Duncan was on fire, TP was playing well, our bench was clicking, and our defense was tough (and we all know about Bonner tonight). The team was working well together, solid execution, and it was gorgeous basketball to watch. Needless to say, we outscored Utah 82 - 67 in those quarters.

Then the 3rd quarter was a completely different story. Out of nowhere, the team lost its will, heart, and started playing sloppy basketball. They forgot their fundamentals, and blew a big lead. I'm not sure what happened, but out of nowhere, everything suddenly went wrong in a certain span of time. Turn overs, bad shots, sloppy D.... everything. The same basic story happened in the denver and boston games.

Basically what I'm getting at is this spurs team is most definitely lacking something, but it's not something fixed with a trade or change in coaching staff. This is a problem the team itself has to fix; they have to start playing with pride again. I'm not making excuses for them, I'm definitly holding them accountable. But not their skill; there's a big difference between shit like "can't do", "can't play defense" and "aren't doing". The spurs just aren't doing the things they should, and CAN, to pull out wins against teams. Denver, Boston and Utah were close and very winnable games, that in my opinion, the spurs lost to themselves.

So in summary, I guess I'm just upset that it seems the team just isn't putting their hearts and pride into games, and they aren't playing with the effort, intensity, and killer instinct of champions that we've come to expect. I just want to see the silver and black heart shine once again! It's there, just hidden somewhere.... and I can't wait until the day we find it.

PS: Not usually one to get angry at stupid comments by fans after losses because I know they're just as heartbroken as I am... but do you guys seriously think that last play went as designed by pop? Gimme a break.... shit happens, things don't go as expected, and they had to get a shot off. That's just basketball.

You said it very well, I still believe. It's coming and everybody knows it's just a matter of time

Chieflion
12-08-2009, 03:52 AM
Run more plays for RJ? I felt Pop would almost use RJ interchangeably as the #2-4 option night in and night out, depending on matchups and how the team was playing.

Now it's more, Parker's #1, Pop/Parker makes sure Tim becomes #2 ... nothing else is guaranteed
I agree with this post. RJ looks so stupid with the Spurs.

Zero_Twilight
12-08-2009, 06:34 AM
To the original poster: Nice post!

I agree with you. The Spurs beat the Spurs.

This is an excellent team but something is not "clicking." There's a loose wire somewhere in there. It's not about the players or coaching but more about the attitude.

I consider Boston, Denver, and Utah lucky to get those wins. The Spurs? Not so lucky.

I don't want the Spurs to get into "killing" mode this early in the season but maybe turn it up one notch to get over the hump.

4down
12-08-2009, 09:41 AM
once they lose enough games and hit rock bottom they will find their swagger. That is the only option after reaching your low.

Look how bonner responded tonight. Pretty soon the entire spurs team will play pissed like that.

+1

I would love to see a little more aggression from Tim and RJ, though. A few plays ofTim going right to the basket without waiting to feel for a double team would really help reduce the amount of times the ball is stripped from him, IMO.

fotan2
12-08-2009, 10:02 AM

exactly.

even if the players perform pop' system at 100% , they still are underdog against to Boston and LA. Look at the Nuggets, they don't really have a system, but just letting Chauncy run the play. Plus, his system exists for a decade, and still hasnt been figured out? the older you are getting ,the more stubborn you are becoming.

LOL@MavsFan
12-08-2009, 10:06 AM

I agree....all these negative threads are pissing me off :ihit. Nice to see something positive once in awhile. Thanks! :toast

EVAY
12-08-2009, 10:18 AM

Absolutely!! Pop's teams have a terrible history of coming out of the halftime flat. They have done it for years. And you are right that it amounts to someone on the team (or the coach) calling them out on it. The deal is, Pop does not believe that it is properly HIS role to do, Tim's personality is not conducive to it, and nobody on that team accepts Parker as the real floor leader...so there is no floor leader (Parker may be calling plays this season at times, but noone looks to him for team leadership)...ergo, on the rare occasion like last night when someone on the team like Bonner steps up and acts like a leader, we see what it COULD look like, but after you are in that big a hole on the opponent's floor that late in the game, it can't get finished.

So, the question remains...who is gonna do it?

EVAY
12-08-2009, 10:24 AM

That 'funnel it into the shot blockers' system worked when we had two potential shot blockers under the basket. It hasn't worked since Robinson left. Our teams don't do a lot of 'passing lane' defense on a consistent basis, and that's what it would take. We have the quickness now with a lot of our guys (Hill, Parker, Ginobili, Bonner, Blair, etc.) to pull it off, but we don't play that way. OUr guys are NOT good at defending the pick and roll. Even Parker, as quick as he is, usually goes UNDER the pick, giving the shooter a nice cushion in which to get his shot off.

Chieflion
12-08-2009, 10:31 AM
That 'funnel it into the shot blockers' system worked when we had two potential shot blockers under the basket. It hasn't worked since Robinson left. Our teams don't do a lot of 'passing lane' defense on a consistent basis, and that's what it would take. We have the quickness now with a lot of our guys (Hill, Parker, Ginobili, Bonner, Blair, etc.) to pull it off, but we don't play that way. OUr guys are NOT good at defending the pick and roll. Even Parker, as quick as he is, usually goes UNDER the pick, giving the shooter a nice cushion in which to get his shot off.
I see the opposite. Recently, he has gone so many times over the pick that he was behind the player he was guarding after he gets over the screen, in this case, Williams, who drives to the rim with ease just cause he can.

TJastal
12-08-2009, 11:25 AM
I see the opposite. Recently, he has gone so many times over the pick that he was behind the player he was guarding after he gets over the screen, in this case, Williams, who drives to the rim with ease just cause he can.

Wes Matthews did this too him also.

Chieflion
12-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Wes Matthews did this too him also.
Apperently, everyone does. Do the Spurs even read the scouting report? Cause the opponents sure look they did.

Thomas82
12-08-2009, 11:27 AM

Good post!!

Spursmania
12-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Great thread and post. I'm sick of trade Manu, RJ, etc...threads. For fuck's sake we have to support the team even when they suck which is now. The fact that they don't take these games personal is what pisses me off.

Our leaders need to get pissed off and show it on the court. Bonner looked pissed and played damn well for Bonner. If he can man up and play half as good as he did last night I would be happy with his contributions. We all know Bonner is best suited as a role player but hell red rocket played with his heart and passion out there that I haven't seen from him. Other players should have been taking notes last night.

Parker has got to stop with his TO's and non-involvement of RJ. He has had sloppy play at crucial moments in the last few games. Fast breaks aren't looking too good either and lack of defense hurts. We know you love Hollywood and all the extra attention you get from international play. But, the Spurs pay your salary and your young so start earning your pay. Study your team, study their offensive needs and tendencies and become the great PG the team needs you to be. The roster is full of talent, use their talents. Get RJ involved and things will change. You've got a quick, athletic solid contributor begging to fit into the system in RJ. Man up to your responsibilities as a leader and a PG with 3 titles under your belt, and do whatever it takes to get that offense revving. Lead with intensity, passion and knowledge.

Manu get it going defensively with steals and tips and crazy Manu blocks. You're not in rhythm offensively so play defense like a madman and grab rebounds and don't turn the ball over. Manu you don't need to be superbat right now just play solid and don't cause to's. Your offense will come, just play ball like your on the streets of Argentina man.

Duncan, you are the man, You have lifted this team on your shoulders for so long. Taken the blame for so many of the Spurs losses. You come out and play like you mean business and you have to deal with players that don't bring it every game. Please, don't get weary now, show why your Timmy Duncan and get pissed and I mean really pissed. This is the last 2 years we will see you playing, bring it Timmy just bring it.

I still love you guys so man up will you:flag::flag:

Spursmania
12-08-2009, 03:12 PM
I hope the big three get into rhythm soon. I miss watching Manu, TP and Timmy. If only they could incorporate RJ as well. I am waiting to see this happen every game.:flag: