PDA

View Full Version : Which NBA players have you personally met?

Donkeybong
12-08-2009, 12:57 AM
I met Peja and Turkgolu together at a hotel in Turkey. They were there to play some Basketball charity event. Got a picture with both of them.

I also met Tracy Murray at LA Fitness and actually got to run a game with him.

Last but not least, I met Kobe in Newport Beach at the cupcake place called Sprinkles. I stood in front of him in line, but I didn't bother him as he was with his wife and his daughters. I waved at him before I left though and he told me "sup man". Wanted to talk to him, but didn't want to disturb him as he was playing with his daughters.

Culburn369
12-08-2009, 12:59 AM
Wanted to talk to him, but didn't want to disturb him as he was playing with his daughters.

What did they look like?:lol

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-08-2009, 01:00 AM
Met Jason Kidd a few times and sat next to his wife at a Suns game when I was younger. Odd, for a woman with so many problems, she was extremely nice and friendly at the game (and this was after the beating incident before he got traded).

IronMexican
12-08-2009, 01:02 AM
I got the cold shoulder from Devean George at the South Bay Gelleria. He did that shit like he was too good for us. That motherfucker. It was his last season in LA.

Greg Oden
12-08-2009, 01:04 AM
I sat behind the Knicks bench at a Grizzlies game 2 seasons ago. I told Jamaal Crawford he sucks ass and he gave me a pretty weird look. I don't know if that counts.

Kobe Molested Me
12-08-2009, 01:05 AM
I've met kobe.

gaKNOW!blee
12-08-2009, 01:11 AM
I met Wayne Ellington...he had a huge diamond necklace that said waynes world lol

cobbler
12-08-2009, 01:13 AM
Too many to list...

Most the Lakers from 1975 till now.

The dream teams from 1992 and 1996.

The team from the FIBA qualifiers in Vegas in 2007.

And various others over the years.

Donkeybong
12-08-2009, 01:20 AM
Too many to list...

i need to hang out with you.

KSeal
12-08-2009, 01:22 AM
I saw Elton Brand at Swingers in Santa Monica right before he singed with the Sixers. He was pretty cool, his wife was bangin.

Findog
12-08-2009, 01:24 AM
Met Charles Barkley when I was in the sixth grade. He was signing autographs at the mall.

cobbler
12-08-2009, 01:29 AM
i need to hang out with you.

:toast

I was fortunate enough to meet Jerry and Jeanie Buss through a mutual friend and was allowed locker room access from time to time. More so in the Forum days than now. I was able to meet the dream teams at USA basketball activities. I played on USA wheelchair teams during those years. Small perks I guess for being able to shoot a ball. :lol

TheMACHINE
12-08-2009, 01:33 AM
jason terry at las vegas with a cast on his arm.

hitmanyr2k
12-08-2009, 01:45 AM
Met Pippen twice in Charlotte...once as a Bull in '96 and once as a Blazer in '99. Both times he was cool. The time in '99 he was extremely gracious. My mom actually brought a Scottie Pippen Houston Rockets t-shirt with her to the shoot-around and I was like there's no way in hell he's gonna sign that after the nasty break-up they had lol. He signed it anyway and didn't seem to mind. I ragged on him about not doing the pull-up three anymore since his Chicago days. He put one up in the game and missed but I thought it was cool that he tried it in the first place :lol

BRHornet45
12-08-2009, 01:55 AM
sons I have met most of the Hornets over the years. Tyson Chandler was the coolest.

redzero
12-08-2009, 02:06 AM
Avery Johnson went to my high school and he came over as a guest speaker once.

BRHornet45
12-08-2009, 02:09 AM

son did they use a couple of phone books for Avery to stand on so the kids could at least see him?

Will Hunting
12-08-2009, 02:11 AM

That musta been funny listenting to that voice give a speech.

djohn2oo8
12-08-2009, 02:11 AM
Met Avery at a basketball camp, Tracy McGrady too

IronMexican
12-08-2009, 02:16 AM
I just googled my High School and saw the wikipedia. Some broad who was on America's Next Top Model and WC went there. Bill Walsh did, too, but back when it was nothing but white people.

Juanobili
12-08-2009, 02:22 AM
Sean Elliott when i was kid

also won a meet and greet with Sean Marks after a Spurs game a few years ago but me and my dad skipped lol

redzero
12-08-2009, 02:23 AM
son did they use a couple of phone books for Avery to stand on so the kids could at least see him?

Unfortunately, no.

Avery did go off on some kid who was talking during his speech. After he was done, he asked us trivia questions about himself.

DJB
12-08-2009, 03:01 AM
I played H-O-R-S-E with Tim Duncan the summer after his rookie season at the Concord Athletic Club in San Antonio when I was like 12. Highlight of my life so far.

Indazone
12-08-2009, 03:04 AM
Met Hakeem Olajuwan in an elevator at the Hotel Galvez in Galveston. Rockets were at a preseason training camp and we were at a sales meeting. He got on the elevator and we were like a couple of kids just looking at him and he finally broke the ice and said hi guys. So me and my friend just told him he was great and we admired his play on the court and all he was doing for our community. He flashed a big grin and said thanks.

Met Reggie Miller at a restaurant in Indy. Just said hello briefly when he left. He was sitting in the corner by himself eating a falafel sandwich with his hat pulled down over his ears and head.

RedsLakers24
12-08-2009, 03:06 AM
I Met Odom, he was cool,

Culburn369
12-08-2009, 03:07 AM
Me & my Lakers had our picture taken next the Magic's Charter that never left Florida.

tee, hee.

jacobdrj
12-08-2009, 03:35 AM
Jerome JYD Williams.
Carlos Delfino.
Carlos Arroyo.
Smush Parker.
Larry Brown.
Bill Walton.

baseline bum
12-08-2009, 05:08 AM
A few of the players I have met...

Magic Johnson - I told him I saw him hit a halfcourt shot the week before and that I always rooted for the Lakers against Boston in the Finals. Cool guy who I got to talk hoops with for about 15 minutes while he waited for his plane.

George Gervin - Shot hoops with him and his son Gee at Incarnate Word.

Dr. J - Got to meet him and shoot the shit for a few minutes before his final game in San Antonio (he broke his finger and was out for the game, so he was happy to hang out with the fans).

David Robinson - Met him right after the Spurs won the 87 draft lottery and many more times after that. My dad and I sold his first biography at baseball card shows, so we got to know David and his family (we bought the books from his father Ambrose).

Charles Barkley - Met him when I was about 7 years old when he was on Philly. I think I told him he set good screens or that I liked it when he and Cheeks ran the pick and roll... something like that. He gave me a funny look and jokingly said "What!?!" like I was nuts for knowing what that was at that age.

Bernard King - I got to be the honorary ballboy at a Spurs-Bullets game in 87 or so, and I told King I was a huge fan of his after seeing him drop 50 points on the Spurs and that I was really glad to see him back in the league (he came back and was an all-star in Washington after everyone thought his career was over in New York).

NZ Spurs
12-08-2009, 05:45 AM
I spoke to Brent Barry about a week after the ill fated JR Smith trade. He asked me what I was doing in San Antonio and suggested I should be in California instead. :lol

He also said that he was jealous of my travel plans and wished he could be backpacking around the world like I was at the time. I was amazed, I should have suggested that we swap positions because I was relatively jealous of his career.

He was extremely cool. He ended up asking me a bunch of questions about my travels, and he told me about his surfing trips with his buddies. It was strange really. It was like I was the one with the high profile and he had approached me. He also said some things I wouldn't repeat here. Cool dude.

resistanze
12-08-2009, 06:43 AM
Mugsy Bogues and Dell Curry.

Donkeybong
12-08-2009, 06:54 AM
I spoke to Brent Barry about a week after the ill fated JR Smith trade. He asked me what I was doing in San Antonio and suggested I should be in California instead. :lol

He also said that he was jealous of my travel plans and wished he could be backpacking around the world like I was at the time. I was amazed, I should have suggested that we swap positions because I was relatively jealous of his career.

He was extremely cool. He ended up asking me a bunch of questions about my travels, and he told me about his surfing trips with his buddies. It was strange really. It was like I was the one with the high profile and he had approached me. He also said some things I wouldn't repeat here. Cool dude.

He's a pothead, huh?

Bukefal
12-08-2009, 07:09 AM
I met former NBA player player, Darius Washington last summer in Macedonia.

TheManFromAcme
12-08-2009, 07:26 AM
Kareem and A.C. Green at LAX (1987)
David Robinson at my Church here in S.A.(May of this year)
Avery Johnson at S.A. Airport (2008)

urunobili
12-08-2009, 07:30 AM
Manu signed my jersey and Finley waved and said hi at the AA center

Capt Bringdown
12-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Ralph Sampson when he was with the Warriors.

I won a chance to shoot for 100K from the opposite FT line, from mid-court for a new car, or a 3 pointer for a Hawaii vacation...anyone remember that promotion?

I chose mid-court for the new car - the shot was on target but short.

Afterwards, I was eating dinner at a riverwalk restaurant when Sampson and some other players that I didn't recognize came in the restaurant. Sampson particularly recognized me from the game (which is kinda bizarre) and gave me crap about missing the shot. I got his autograph somewhere...

pauls931
12-08-2009, 07:59 AM
Nada, closest I got was talking to a guy who played a pickup game against Michael Finley and said he was pretty good. This was in the late 90s...

ElNono
12-08-2009, 08:44 AM
A bunch of them: Magic, Walton, Elliott, Manu, Parker, Bonner, Udrih, Sean Marks, and some others...

balli
12-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Malone, Stockton, Okur, Hornacek, Felton Spencer and Jackson Vroman.

wanggi
12-08-2009, 08:55 AM
me & my lakers had our picture taken next the magic's charter that never left florida.

Tee, hee.

idb.

Thunder Dan
12-08-2009, 09:12 AM
I sat next to Charles Barkley at a Indians game

Met Lebron several times when I lived in the condos across from his neighborhood. Would see him at the mall all the time. Also met him at the Browns/Vikings game this year, his suite was 2 down from the one I was in.

Went to the same church as Larry Nance and Mark Price- Price gave me a pair of his signed shoes I still have.

Met Hot Rod Williams at Summit Mall

Met Disainia Diop and Ricky Davis at a Browns game in the suite level

lefty
12-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Too many to list...

Damn,

You really went Paris Hilton on those guys :wow

Culburn369
12-08-2009, 09:57 AM
A few of the players I have met...

Magic Johnson - I told him I saw him hit a halfcourt shot the week before and that I always rooted for the Lakers against Boston in the Finals. Cool guy who I got to talk hoops with for about 15 minutes while he waited for his plane.

George Gervin - Shot hoops with him and his son Gee at Incarnate Word.

Dr. J - Got to meet him and shoot the shit for a few minutes before his final game in San Antonio (he broke his finger and was out for the game, so he was happy to hang out with the fans).

David Robinson - Met him right after the Spurs won the 87 draft lottery and many more times after that. My dad and I sold his first biography at baseball card shows, so we got to know David and his family (we bought the books from his father Ambrose).

Charles Barkley - Met him when I was about 7 years old when he was on Philly. I think I told him he set good screens or that I liked it when he and Cheeks ran the pick and roll... something like that. He gave me a funny look and jokingly said "What!?!" like I was nuts for knowing what that was at that age.

Bernard King - I got to be the honorary ballboy at a Spurs-Bullets game in 87 or so, and I told King I was a huge fan of his after seeing him drop 50 points on the Spurs and that I was really glad to see him back in the league (he came back and was an all-star in Washington after everyone thought his career was over in New York).

Matzel, Matzel, good things, Base.

KidCongo
12-08-2009, 10:25 AM
He's a pothead, huh?

Or Tigers 1828484th mistress.

Chieflion
12-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Or Tigers 1828484th mistress.
My local newspaper is practically counting down the days till Christmas revealing one of his mistresses each day.

LakeShow
12-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Magic Johnson - Sat right beside him at the Luther Vandross Concert
Michael Cooper - Helped him carry his luggage at LAX to catch his flight when he was dropped off at the wrong airline.
Kurt Rambis - Met at Lakers practice by way of Michael Cooper
Byron Scott - " " "
Jamaal Wilkes - " " "
Norm Nixon - Foxhills
Chris Mills - met at a picnic
Shaq - met on the streets of inglewood.

Cooper let myself and a friend watch the lakers practice at the forum. All of the Lakers players, except Cap came over and shook our hands. Pat Riley as well.

One of the best experiences of meeting an athlete did not involve a NBA Player. I met Muhammad Ali on Crenshaw Blvd. back in the day. I talked to him and play boxed with him. That was the greatest!

GuerillaBlack
12-08-2009, 11:18 AM
I met Clyde Drexler in Houston at a Sports Clips my mom worked at when I was younger. I met Ron Artest this summer on Hollywood Blvd., by the Kodak.

The Gemini Method
12-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Kobe Bryant and & Derek Fisher--at a shootaround they had at my HS gym back when Kobe was drafted by the Lakers and before he started the Summer League in Long Beach.

Kenyon Martin--Didn't really meet him, but said what's up to him in the walkway between the Venetian and the Palazzo in Vegas.

Detlef Schrempf--Met him after he was participating in a charity event bowling tourney in Vegas @ the Red Rock.

Magic and Kareem--they both came and spoke to us during a basketball camp back in 1994. Signed a few things and were really approachable.

I see/meet more NFL players than I do any other sports...

The best thing I've ever seen/heard was watching Brian Westbrook gamble 5k-15k a hand in black jack at the Bellagio...and an Eagles fan saying under his breath, "Hey Brian, with how much time you spend injured, you should save that money for a rainy day!" Those who hear, well, they had themselves a little chuckle.

koriwhat
12-08-2009, 11:38 AM
johnny moore
sean elliott
david robinson
antoine carr
malik rose
maurice cheeks
antonio daniels
avery johnson
brent barry
dejuan blair
george hill
boris diaw

*maybe a couple more?

ive met more when i was a kid but just cant remember who... used to go to a bunch of meet&greet things with my mothers boss back in the day plus the law firm my mother worked for represented most of the spurs back then so id see elliott and the rest of them all the time when i was up at work with my mother.

lil_penny
12-08-2009, 11:50 AM
I see/meet more NFL players than I do any other sports...

The best thing I've ever seen/heard was watching Brian Westbrook gamble 5k-15k a hand in black jack at the Bellagio...and an Eagles fan saying under his breath, "Hey Brian, with how much time you spend injured, you should save that money for a rainy day!" Those who hear, well, they had themselves a little chuckle.

Was this during all star weekend a couple years back???

I met ac green at a dennys once lol

The Gemini Method
12-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Was this during all star weekend a couple years back???

I met ac green at a dennys once lol

lol @ meeting A Christ named Green at Denny's...

The Westbrook dealy-o took place on Easter Weekend I believe in 2008.

Culburn369
12-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Majerle came into Borders one day down in the Biltmore area, had his two daughters with him (probably early teens/giggling/American cuties). It was just after he'd gotten the Suns gig as an asst. coach and people were congratulating him in passing, but, he got hung up at the top of the staircase and was signing autographs. The girls moved a distance from him, became solemn & still. It was a swell scene of humility.

The Gemini Method
12-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Was it hard to resist to not lust after Majerle's offspring, Culbs? J/K

The most depressing autograph session I ever saw was the one held by Pete Rose after he learned that he still wouldn't be up for Hall-of-Fame selection...it was like he was shot through the soul for the Nth time.

Culburn369
12-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Was it hard to resist to not lust after Majerle's offspring, Culbs? J/K

They were adorable during the giggling & especially when they demurred.

American girls are the goods.

The Gemini Method
12-08-2009, 12:07 PM
They were adorable during the giggling & especially when they demurred.

American girls are the goods.

Are you not American?

Oh yeah, meeting Mugsy Bogues and realizing I'm actually taller than an NBA player was pretty cool, too.

Culburn369
12-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Him & Grandma-ma. Those were good NBA days. Different than it is now for sure.

Double-Up
12-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Him & Grandma-ma. Those were good NBA days. Different than it is now for sure.

Quit lying like a bitch, bitch.

jb4g
12-08-2009, 12:19 PM
I met Alvin Robertson in the city jail, I believe he had busted up his woman again, all the guards were taking pics with him lol.

Larry Johnson and Stacy Augmon when they played at UNLV....LJ was my hero as a kid so it was a big thrill for me.

David Robinson at a Chinese restaraunt, Shaq at PF Changs, no autographs but both of them said hello.

and just the other day I met Thaddeus Young of the 76'ers, he was roaming the basement of the At&t center looking for the chapel. I walked him over to it, and we ran into Finley on the way. Kind of funny because i have worked at the arena for 3 years and never meet anyone lol

Culburn369
12-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Quit lying like a bitch, bitch.

It'll never end.

The Gemini Method
12-08-2009, 12:25 PM
It'll never end.

It seems you're well-liked around these parts, Cul.

I've played pick-up games against the likes of Demar Derozan, Toby Bailey, and Charles O'Bannon...but before/after they were in the league...

Culburn369
12-08-2009, 12:29 PM
It seems you're well-liked around these parts, Cul.

I've played pick-up games against the likes of Demar Derozan, Toby Bailey, and Charles O'Bannon...but before/after they were in the league...

I just take my schtick from Board to Board, sports, non sports alike. My shelf life is usually 6 months, but, with this lenient TOS I'm home.

angel_luv
12-08-2009, 01:58 PM
To the OP- You met Hedo? You are so lucky.
I tried to meet him the last time the Raptors played the Spurs but he jogged right past me at the railing. He did smile at me though.

That same night I spoke with Rasho ( whom I had met previously.) He commented on the Slovenian flag I had brought to the game, saying to a Raptor staff member in my hearing, that the real reason I had the flag was because Beno used to play here. :lol Sho then proceeded to autograph the flag for me. It was so awesome!

I have also met Manu, Beno, Malik, Sean Marks, Bruce, Sean Elliott, Matt Bonner, and Matt Carrol.

I have said hello to Coach Pop and Coach Carlesimo.

Tim Duncan signed an autograph for me ( I was too stunned to say anything than thank you, so I can't say that I met him. More like I encountered him.)

Culburn369
12-08-2009, 02:01 PM
I saw Cuban come out of the Camelback Resort. His wife is your basic 4x4 Pepperidge Farm type.

angel_luv
12-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Brent Barry! I forgot about him! :oops

baseline bum
12-08-2009, 02:47 PM
I forgot, one time I walked with Manute Bol for about a block when I was headed to the parking garage and he was coming out the Marriott Hotel after a Spurs/Warriors game. Nice guy and way taller in person than on TV.

Will Hunting
12-08-2009, 02:55 PM
had his two daughters with him (probably early teens/giggling/American cuties)

My guess is this sums up what happened when you saw them:

4pXfHLUlZf4

Culburn369
12-08-2009, 02:59 PM
It'll never end.

duncan228
12-08-2009, 03:19 PM
I've met Duncan (http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/090305_myfirstspursgame.html), and assorted Sonics from '97 to '04. Rashard Lewis, Brent Barry, Desmond Mason, and Luke Ridnour were the nicest. Nate McMillan was also really nice. Jerome James was obnoxious.

Kori Ellis
12-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Pretty much all the Spurs in the last six years or so, almost every player at the All Star games between 2003 and 2007, tons of players on the Lakers and Clippers between 1984 and 2002, and several Phoenix Suns players in the early 80s.

Fpoonsie
12-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Was at a Utah/SA playoff game a couple years ago and David had been a special guest of the pre-game and halftime show w/ ESPN. After he finished, he left the makeshift stage and everyone swarmed him. He politely signed some autographs and disappeared. I was sitting near the Spurs tunnel, and turned my back to the crowd to sit down.

All of a sudden, my friend tells me to turn around. I stand back up, turn around abruptly and he's walking down the stairs, heading right toward me. All I could do was girlishly exclaim "Dave!". He stops, extends his hand, I shake it, he smiles that amazingly warm and genuine smile of his, and continues to walk.

That story certainly pales in comparison to a majority of the others in this thread, but it was one of the greatest moments of my life.

jdev82
12-08-2009, 10:09 PM
ive met michael ruffin at BDs mongolian grill in milwaukee, and i met manu at a game. got his john handcock

cornbread
12-08-2009, 10:59 PM
In order of appearance over the last 20 years or so of Spurs fandom:
Terry Cummings, Dwayne Schintzius, Willie Anderson, Coby Dietrich, Johnny Moore, Sean Elliott, Antoine Carr, Bob Hill, Vinny Del Negro, Antonio Daniels, Duncan, Ginobili, Oberto, Parker, Devin Brown, Jacque Vaughn, Melvin Ely, Pop and Bowen.

Venti Quattro
12-08-2009, 11:02 PM
I've met Kobe. Nice guy but won't sign autographs. I can understand that.

koriwhat
12-09-2009, 12:10 AM
johnny moore
sean elliott
david robinson
antoine carr
malik rose
maurice cheeks
antonio daniels
avery johnson
brent barry
dejuan blair
george hill
boris diaw

*maybe a couple more?

ive met more when i was a kid but just cant remember who... used to go to a bunch of meet&greet things with my mothers boss back in the day plus the law firm my mother worked for represented most of the spurs back then so id see elliott and the rest of them all the time when i was up at work with my mother.

i forgot devin brown... and today, mason.

spursncowboys
12-09-2009, 12:20 AM
When I was a kid I was working at Whataburger in the dome. At halftime they would let me go and I would sit by the big divider and watch the game. This was the game where Karl Malone got kicked out for elbowing and laying out D-Rob. as he was being escorted through everyone was booing him. He was walking right past me and I I got into it and thought to yell some things at him. I got pretty carried away and was pretty offensive. I didn't think he could hear me but he did. He turned right at me and stopped. I almost crapped in my pants.

Culburn369
12-09-2009, 12:54 AM
I've met Kobe. Nice guy but won't sign autographs. I can understand that.

Just seriously curious, #24, but why do you understand him not signing?

gmartin02
12-09-2009, 02:12 AM
Met Stu Lantz & Chick Hearn at a Laker's VIP pregame event at the Forum in 1996 - I got the tickets when I used to work at Best Buy on the geek squad - nobody else in the store even wanted to go, so i took one of my buddies - free food & booze before the game (I know they are broacasters, not players, but Stu did play in the NBA for 8 years). Stu seemed like he wanted to be anywhere else, but Chick was really, really nice & personable.

Chick (& Magic) were the only reason I became a Lakers fan - they were 2 of the most colorful & entertaining people (on the mic & court) ever associated with the NBA. Two of the most memorable (and worst) days of the sports fan part of my life were a) the day that magic announced that he was HIV positive & retiring, and b) the day that chick died.

baseline bum
12-09-2009, 02:44 AM

I wouldn't sign either, at least not for adults, just so they could flip it on Ebay. Bird kind of did that; he'd sign occasionally for kids, but he'd only write LB for adults.

baseline bum
12-09-2009, 02:48 AM
Met Stu Lantz & Chick Hearn at a Laker's VIP pregame event at the Forum in 1996 - I got the tickets when I used to work at Best Buy on the geek squad - nobody else in the store even wanted to go, so i took one of my buddies - free food & booze before the game (I know they are broacasters, not players, but Stu did play in the NBA for 8 years). Stu seemed like he wanted to be anywhere else, but Chick was really, really nice & personable.

Chick (& Magic) were the only reason I became a Lakers fan - they were 2 of the most colorful & entertaining people (on the mic & court) ever associated with the NBA. Two of the most memorable (and worst) days of the sports fan part of my life were a) the day that magic announced that he was HIV positive & retiring, and b) the day that chick died.

I got to meet Chick a couple of times. As great of a guy as he was a broadcaster. RIP Chick.

milkshakeballa
12-09-2009, 02:49 AM
http://namceface.com/pictures/Calm_down_bro-DWrvfmLVFfKK0S1yir7V.jpg
I've met kobe.

Donkeybong
12-09-2009, 02:58 AM
chick hearn was the best

NZ Spurs
12-09-2009, 03:50 AM
He's a pothead, huh?

No. Well, not that I know of.

The Third Man
12-09-2009, 04:36 AM
I saw Rudy T come out of a blues club in Houston in the 90's. He was hammered and very friendly to everybody. He was like the mayor of the city back then. Another time I saw Calvin Murphy with a sketchy looking woman at a Kettle at like 3am on the east side of Houston. I was glancing over at him and telling the people at my table that he was there and Calvin was giving me the biggest stink eye ever.

Venti Quattro
12-09-2009, 05:11 AM
I don't know, I guess I didn't want to make it look like he owed an autograph to me.

Didn't want to elicit negative reactions too.

alamo50
12-09-2009, 05:29 AM
Love reading the stories...well most of them from the real fans.
Never gets old!

Meeting for me is talking and I met and talked to these guys:

Dirk Nowitzki and Steve Nash at the NBA Store in New York in 2001 when they were on the show broadcasted live from there. After the show they went shopping and I told Dirk in German good luck for the game the next day vs. the Knicks. He was surprised I talked German to him and thanked me. Went on a picture with him and with Nash at the store. They were realy cool guys even back then before they were stars.

Met Steve Smith a day before the championship parade in '03 at a gas station @ Stone Oak. Me and my friend were wearing our San Antonio Express Championship edition t-shirts that we just bought. We thanked Steve for the great games and keeping Buckets in check. He laughed and thanked us and pointed us out that his arm was in the picture on the shirts as he showed us his tattoo on his arm that was the same one as the arms on the shirt (lol)! He was realy excited that his arms was on there. We told him we'd see him in the parade the next day and gave him some shirts for his family that was in the car. Got on a picture with him and he signed our shirts and said goodbye.

Coby Dietrich smashed an egg on my head at NIOSA in San Antonio.

Met Mr. Robinson several times and reported about it on here (SBC Center players tunnel, several times at the Carver Academy and @ his retirement gala).

Shook many hands and gave a lot of high-fives to many Spurs players and coaches at games, signing sessions in San Antonio and Paris and inside the practise facility. Also Charles Barkley and Magic when they were doing TNT OT from the SBC. And Dr. Jack Ramsey at the SBC the night of the '03 Championship when there were just a few people left in the stadium and he came walking up the stairs and asked us who won.

Not to forget the brief meeting I had with Mr. Holt after a game when he told me: "Wish we had more dedicated fans like you over here". What can anybody say to a fan that is more meaningful than this from the owner of the team himself?

Proud to be a Spurs fan and blessed to have lived my dream.

jdev82
12-09-2009, 12:50 PM
chick hearn was the best

i miss chick. your new announcers suck balls.

Culburn369
12-09-2009, 12:53 PM
i miss chick. your new announcers suck balls.

I wouldn't know,,,I got my initial NBA Package just after Hearn died.:depressed

lefty
12-09-2009, 01:25 PM
I sat next to Charles Barkley at a Indians game

Met Lebron several times when I lived in the condos across from his neighborhood. Would see him at the mall all the time. Also met him at the Browns/Vikings game this year, his suite was 2 down from the one I was in.

Went to the same church as Larry Nance and Mark Price- Price gave me a pair of his signed shoes I still have.

Met Hot Rod Williams at Summit Mall

Met Disainia Diop and Ricky Davis at a Browns game in the suite level

What did he eat?
And which team did he gamble on?
And is he gay?

Culburn369
12-09-2009, 01:26 PM
What did he eat?

He eats standing up, I read that years ago when he was in Phoenix.

lefty
12-09-2009, 01:30 PM
He eats standing up, I read that years ago when he was in Phoenix.
Why? because he thought he would burn more calories that way?

Bukefal
12-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Love reading the stories...well most of them from the real fans.
Never gets old!

Meeting for me is talking and I met and talked to these guys:

Dirk Nowitzki and Steve Nash at the NBA Store in New York in 2001 when they were on the show broadcasted live from there. After the show they went shopping and I told Dirk in German good luck for the game the next day vs. the Knicks. He was surprised I talked German to him and thanked me. Went on a picture with him and with Nash at the store. They were realy cool guys even back then before they were stars.

Met Steve Smith a day before the championship parade in '03 at a gas station @ Stone Oak. Me and my friend were wearing our San Antonio Express Championship edition t-shirts that we just bought. We thanked Steve for the great games and keeping Buckets in check. He laughed and thanked us and pointed us out that his arm was in the picture on the shirts as he showed us his tattoo on his arm that was the same one as the arms on the shirt (lol)! He was realy excited that his arms was on there. We told him we'd see him in the parade the next day and gave him some shirts for his family that was in the car. Got on a picture with him and he signed our shirts and said goodbye.

Coby Dietrich smashed an egg on my head at NIOSA in San Antonio.

Met Mr. Robinson several times and reported about it on here (SBC Center players tunnel, several times at the Carver Academy and @ his retirement gala).

Shook many hands and gave a lot of high-fives to many Spurs players and coaches at games, signing sessions in San Antonio and Paris and inside the practise facility. Also Charles Barkley and Magic when they were doing TNT OT from the SBC. And Dr. Jack Ramsey at the SBC the night of the '03 Championship when there were just a few people left in the stadium and he came walking up the stairs and asked us who won.

Not to forget the brief meeting I had with Mr. Holt after a game when he told me: "Wish we had more dedicated fans like you over here". What can anybody say to a fan that is more meaningful than this from the owner of the team himself?

Proud to be a Spurs fan and blessed to have lived my dream.

That's awesome! :toast

mojorizen7
12-09-2009, 03:27 PM
I met most of the SUNS including Kevin Johnson,Tom Chambers,Mark West,Hornacek etc(i think Rambis was there too)...
They served me spaghetti as celebrity waiters for a charity in downtown Tempe. It must have been circa '88 or '89.

timvp
12-09-2009, 03:38 PM
I've met hundreds but that doesn't compare to the year I spent as Stephen Jackson's neighbor. His townhouse front door was about fifteen feet away from mine. It was the year he spent on the Spurs when he barely played. His way of staying in game shape was bringing back two chicks every night. And always different chicks. I've never seen a human party that hard and that consistently ... and with that much success.

http://www.bustedplay.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/a15.jpg

^^That would be just a warm up. I seriously don't know how he mixed in his NBA responsibilities at the time.

He ended up permanently borrowing some of my ish but that was a good year :hat

koriwhat
12-09-2009, 03:44 PM
i forgot horry at pf changs during the '07 run.

jb4g
12-09-2009, 04:48 PM
I've met hundreds but that doesn't compare to the year I spent as Stephen Jackson's neighbor. His townhouse front door was about fifteen feet away from mine. It was the year he spent on the Spurs when he barely played. His way of staying in game shape was bringing back two chicks every night. And always different chicks. I've never seen a human party that hard and that consistently ... and with that much success.

^^That would be just a warm up. I seriously don't know how he mixed in his NBA responsibilities at the time.

smelled like weed huh?

Culburn369
12-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Why? because he thought he would burn more calories that way?

Was no reason, just his way.

ginobili's bald spot
12-09-2009, 08:10 PM

Wait... You got to party WITH Jax? That's fuckin awesome if you did.

tlongII
12-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Bill Walton
Clyde Drexler
Larry Bird
Kevin McHale
Cedric Maxwell
Theo Ratliff
Kevin Duckworth
Jerome Kersey
Terry Porter
Maurice Lucas

Those are the first ones that come to my mind...

tlongII
12-09-2009, 11:27 PM
Oh, and MJ. I guess I should throw him in there. :lol

cornbread
12-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Not an NBA player but Spurs fans might get a kick out of this.

Back in '98 when I was still in high school, I went to a small party at the house of some girl who I had been friends with for a couple years. I walk into their living room and they have a big family portrait over the fireplace. I look at the picture and say, "Damn, your dad really looks like Jay Howard."

She responds by saying, "Yeah, Jay Howard is my dad."

It was a total WTF moment where I was thinking how did I not know your dad was Jay Howard and why haven't you hooked me up with some tickets?

The Third Man
12-10-2009, 02:53 AM
son you don't speak english, do you?

Let me speak something you would understand, cocksucker. Don't be an anklebiting little douchebag. Everybody realizes you are an illiterate moron who follows a toilet franchise. There's no need to spell it out.

mavs>spurs2
12-10-2009, 03:25 AM
I've met Najera, Adrian Griffin, Hubert Davis, Rodney White, and Shawn Bradley at Mavs camp when I was younger. Bradley would show up every year and people would be all excited until they found out which player showed up. People were seriously throwing his autograph in the trash. Dude's family is surprisingly normal sized, he has a wife and 2 daughters who look weird standing next to him

Kori Ellis
12-10-2009, 05:00 AM

:lol

One of the first nights that I slept at your townhouse that year, we heard loud music coming from someone outside. And you said to me, "I'm sure that's Stephen Jackson." Then, I looked out the window and he was getting out of his car with two girls ... but they were both ugly.

Culburn369
12-10-2009, 05:58 AM
...and then you asked Tim: "should we give Cubby back his thread?" And Tim said: "Why are thinking about Cubby at a time like this, Kori-girl?" And you said: "Cubby who?"

The Third Man
12-10-2009, 12:03 PM
My franchise has never been even close to how bad your race got fucked, fuck you dusty piece of shit.

My race? Huffing spray paint is bad for you. Stop. Get off the computer at the public library and go ask the nice lady that works there if they have any remedial reading programs.