PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs' Hairston back after wild 48 hours

duncan228
12-08-2009, 01:02 AM
Spurs' Hairston back after wild 48 hours (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Spurs_Hairston_back_after_wild_48_hours.html)
Mike Monroe

SALT LAKE CITY — When the Spurs arrived at their Salt Lake City hotel late Sunday afternoon, a familiar face was there to greet them.

“I got there about noon,” said swingman Malik Hairston, re-called from the Spurs' NBA Development League team, the Austin Toros, after Michael Finley sprained his left ankle in Saturday's game against the Denver Nuggets. “We had played two games in Albuquerque. I had a shorter flight.”

The Spurs had sent Hairston to the Toros on Friday so he could get some meaningful playing time, and he got plenty of that in two days.

“I landed in Albuquerque on Friday and had a game about an hour later,” he said. “We played (the Albuquerque Thunder) again on Saturday, and then they called and said to get up to Utah.

“It was a crazy 48 hours.”

Hairston scored 23 and 27 points in the two D-League games.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said re-calling Hairston was an easy decision.

“(Finley's) ankle was pretty swollen,” he said. “It looks like he'll miss several games.”

Hairston said he was happy to be back on the Spurs' roster but sad about the circumstances.

“No way am I happy about getting back here because Fin is hurt,” Hairston said, “but all I can do is be ready. If I'm called on, I'm just going to focus on defense and try to play smart.”

Year by year: Popovich has been a fan of Jazz coach Jerry Sloan's since Sloan was a hard-nosed player for the Chicago Bulls in the late 1960s and into the '70s. He was thrilled to see that Sloan, as is his annual practice, last week signed another one-year contract extension to remain on the Utah bench through the 2010-11 season.

“My question is: Why doesn't he sign them five at a time, because he never leaves,” Popovich said. “He signs every year, like we're in suspense. We know he's going to stay there.

“I hope he coaches there forever. He's great for the league, a fantastic coach. His teams are tough and good every single year. If he wasn't in the league, it would lose part of its personality.

“I just love his consistency. It doesn't matter if it's Joe Blow or Karl Malone on the floor. They all react and execute the exact same way. That's a credit to him.”

HarlemHeat37
12-08-2009, 01:10 AM
One day he'll get some PT..one day..

Chomag
12-08-2009, 01:14 AM
Not sure what was the point in giving him 44 seconds of PT. However I don't think I'll ever understand the mind of Pop. lol

HarlemHeat37
12-08-2009, 01:16 AM
Pop likes to tease us with Hairston moments..like last season too, every time Hairston does something positive, Pop will bench him a minute later..it's like he's allergic to young players and starts having an allergic reaction when one of them is doing something athletic, so he subs them off..

These reporters make it worse with their pointless Hairston news..

SenorSpur
12-08-2009, 01:31 AM
Pop likes to tease us with Hairston moments..like last season too, every time Hairston does something positive, Pop will bench him a minute later..it's like he's allergic to young players and starts having an allergic reaction when one of them is doing something athletic, so he subs them off..
These reporters make it worse with their pointless Hairston news..

At some point, Pop is going to have to "get over" his affinity for the AARP-type players and find it worth his while to give young players a chance.

It's hard to believe that he ever started TP at 19 years old.

loveforthegame
12-08-2009, 11:26 AM
First report said Finley would be out a while, then a few games, now it's several.

DBMethos
12-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Can't hurt to give Hairston a look during some upcoming games...the schedule is pretty easy for the rest of the month. And while we're at it, why not inactivate Theo (he's not getting PT, and he's not getting any younger or better) and give Ian a chance too?

Oh wait, Pop is the coach. :(

Chomag
12-08-2009, 12:10 PM
First report said Finley would be out a while, then a few games, now it's several.

It's called Pop time. No one really knows but him. lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Carlos Boozer: "My name's not 'Blow', Pop!"

Mmmmm, Blowpops.

benefactor
12-08-2009, 01:33 PM
We have some bad teams we play througout the month...not that it means anything.

SenorSpur
12-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Yeah, we'll learn nothing from that type of schedule - unless of course, the Spurs falter in those games, too.