PDA

View Full Version : vinyl record to mp3 converters...

CosmicCowboy
12-08-2009, 01:32 PM
anyone here used one?

Dex
12-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Negative.

Got one for my Pops last Christmas. As far as I know, it's still sitting in its box in the garage. :pctoss

mouse
12-08-2009, 01:57 PM
anyone here used one?

Do you have the USB turntable or do you have the standard turntable?
If you want to drop off your turn table,flash drive and your Lp's at my place I will convert them and put them on your drive.

JudynTX
12-08-2009, 02:02 PM
That's what I bought my husband for Christmas. :)

How many LP's do you have?

CosmicCowboy
12-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Mouse, I don't have anything yet. I ditched my turntable ages ago. I just found several boxes of my 60's-70's rock records (probably at least 200) in a storage at my parents. The covers are a mes but the records are still in good shape. I was thinking about putting them on the computer using one of these or one like it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-ION-USB-Turntable-Convert-Vinyl-Records-to-CD-MP3_W0QQitemZ390110423377QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item5ad464a951

i was just curious if anyone else had done it or had the stuff to do it with...

ATRAIN
12-08-2009, 02:17 PM
My dad has both a USB turntable and he also uses a cd recorder component hooked up the the reciever so he can record cassette, vinyl, or cd to cd. If your putting it on your computer you can get a decent usb turntable.

Bender
12-08-2009, 03:06 PM
I have one of those CD recorder decks connected to my old Pioneer receiver, and my TT connected to my receiver too. After you get your CD burned from an LP, you might need to split the tracks if you did not do that during real time. Then convert the wavs to mp3.

Then I got the DAK system instead. My TT (regular TT, not usb) connects to the DAK box, then that connects to my sound card in my computer. You record your LP, then run the resulting "one side of LP wav file" thru a track spilt function, then you convert to mp3.

a buddy of mine just got a usb TT, and he's been ripping lots of his LPs, he really likes it.

lefty
12-08-2009, 03:07 PM
It's pretty easy to do

mouse
12-08-2009, 03:11 PM
My dad

seems as though when we speak of Vinyl it's dad's and grandpas! :lmao

I did mine old school. I found the out cable from the old school Pioneer receiver and plugged it into the mic jack on my sound card.

If you don't want to buy the usb turntable there are services out there that will convert the Lp's to Mp3's for you. You may want to put an ad on craigslist providing such a service to get your 120.00 back you spent on the turntable. Then again that chicken feed for you!

here is some software once you have the files on your hard drive if your turntable doesn't come with a disc.

http://search.brothersoft.com/lp-to-mp3-software/?stype=windows
http://www.nch.com.au/golden/index.html

ATRAIN
12-08-2009, 03:35 PM
I have one of those CD recorder decks connected to my old Pioneer receiver, and my TT connected to my receiver too. After you get your CD burned from an LP, you might need to split the tracks if you did not do that during real time. Then convert the wavs to mp3.

Then I got the DAK system instead. My TT (regular TT, not usb) connects to the DAK box, then that connects to my sound card in my computer. You record your LP, then run the resulting "one side of LP wav file" thru a track spilt function, then you convert to mp3.

a buddy of mine just got a usb TT, and he's been ripping lots of his LPs, he really likes it.

My dad does it real time, its a lot of work but he loves doing it.

ATRAIN
12-08-2009, 03:37 PM
seems as though when we speak of Vinyl it's dad's and grandpas! :lmao

I did mine old school. I found the out cable from the old school Pioneer receiver and plugged it into the mic jack on my sound card.

If you don't want to buy the usb turntable there are services out there that will convert the Lp's to Mp3's for you. You may want to put an ad on craigslist providing such a service to get your 120.00 back you spent on the turntable. Then again that chicken feed for you!

here is some software once you have the files on your hard drive if your turntable doesn't come with a disc.

http://search.brothersoft.com/lp-to-mp3-software/?stype=windows
http://www.nch.com.au/golden/index.html

Well not as much as you would think mouse I read somewhere that cd sales went down from last year but vinyl sales were up. Most every new record that comes out is printed in vinyl now. Thats how I buy them now, I dont buy cd's. Plus a lot of new vinyls come with a download code to get all the songs on mp3 format.

Bender
12-08-2009, 03:44 PM
My dad does it real time, its a lot of work but he loves doing it.
I do to. I gotta sit and listen to the LP playing, and push a "track mark" button between tracks. That is if I'm using my CD recorder deck. If any tracks run together, like lots do then I usually do the splitting with a wav editor, or else I just leave them as one track.

hey mouse, here's my receiver, from my high school days in the 70s:

http://www.beautyblog.se/images/radio.jpg

mouse
12-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Well not as much as you would think mouse I read somewhere that cd sales went down from last year but vinyl sales were up. Most every new record that comes out is printed in vinyl now. Thats how I buy them now, I dont buy cd's. Plus a lot of new vinyls come with a download code to get all the songs on mp3 format.

Last time I was in a record shop was 1989 so I can see how I am behind the times. I remember back in my Army days I bought a JVC turntable and tried to scratch a record and bent the needle. :lmao

I didn't know you needed a certain type of turntable.

fucking needles cost 30 dollars back then, :bang There is nothing like listing to music on a turntable it has it's own sound like the band is in your room.

and looking at the woofer go in and out from dusting off the needle is priceless!

Bender
12-08-2009, 03:48 PM
I read somewhere that cd sales went down from last year but vinyl sales were up. Most every new record that comes out is printed in vinyl now. Thats how I buy them now, I dont buy cd's
ditto for me. even with modern groups, I only buy their albums on vinyl.

In fact, several of the new LPs I bought, came with the CD slipped inside the cover... no jewel case of course, but what a deal! Or if the LP did not come with the CD, then maybe there was a free download code number to get the mp3s directly from the company site. So far, those have been good quality, at 192 bitrate usually.

ATRAIN
12-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Last time I was in a record shop was 1989 so I can see how I am behind the times. I remember back in my Army days I bought a JVC turntable and tried to scratch a record and bent the needle. :lmao

I didn't know you needed a certain type of turntable.

fucking needles cost 30 dollars back then, :bang There is nothing like listing to music on a turntable it has it's own sound like the band is in your room.

and looking at the woofer go in and out from dusting off the needle is priceless!

Yeah my dad drags me to all the little record shops in Austin when he comes up to visits. He also hits up the Austin Record Convention which is twice a year. I usually only pick up Jazz records at the shops though. There are a lot of good treasures that just arent in print anymore. I just got 3 miles davis records for a decent price. However yeah the new records are a little pricey but I try to get them on sale or when they just come out. I usually go to Waterloo records but they are expensive. I have also gotten lucky on ebay. Ive been trying to get a old turntable to work on a newer receiver but I dont think its going to work. I am looking out for a nice record player but not in a rush.

ATRAIN
12-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Oh yeah mouse and your right listening to a record on vinyl, there just isnt anything like it.

Bender
12-08-2009, 03:52 PM
I ordered a real nice used TT on ebay several years ago. It came all broken up...

TT thru the mail... never again.

mouse
12-08-2009, 03:55 PM
hey mouse, here's my receiver, from my high school days in the 70s:

http://www.beautyblog.se/images/radio.jpg

you still have it?

I have had two house fires and have been robbed many times all my shit is gone.

But I was given a pioneer from an attorney who I did some stain work for him.

http://www.randallareed.com/Nov%202405%20Pix/Pioneer_SX1050_Small01.JPG

I can't believe they fucked up a good thing. those receivers were easy to use and had many inputs and out puts. you can plug in your VCR,cassette,turntable,reel to reel etc..
and they had power. you can put the sound on 8 and the cops would stop by. now the receivers suck, there are all black you can't read shit and they have no power.

this one I had in the Army.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3053/2324866421_4af1b22db7.jpg

after the service I started a DJ service and I used a Kenwood.

http://www.tnash.com/Project%20Log/KW.jpg

Bender
12-08-2009, 03:59 PM
you still have it?
yep, SX-636. Still works great, although all I use it for is listening to my turntable, and/or burning a CD with my CD recorder deck. The turntable I'm using now is an AudioTechnica PL-120, but I still have my original Technics TT from back in the day...

I like living in the past.

turntables & vinyl records, two of my favorite subjects... this thread better be mentioned in the weekly rankings! :lol

mouse
12-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Oh yeah mouse and your right listening to a record on vinyl, there just isnt anything like it.

You can put a cassette and CD on of Iron Maidens first album and it sounds like studio. you put the same song on a turn table and it sounds like the vatos are in your speakers. Nothing like a trashy sound inside your headphones.

Wk05PeKSI2E

mouse
12-08-2009, 04:14 PM
turntables & vinyl records, two of my favorite subjects... this thread better be mentioned in the weekly rankings! :lol

Those rankings are shit, never the real good posters get noticed.

The LP was a tangible item that you could collect. Like a baseball card or an antique toy. You got the cover the vinyl and the music. The cassettes and Cds give you shit. In fact many LP's had cool art work not only on the covers but on the records.

http://www.jrholocollection.com/collection/images/foster/splitenz.jpg

Bender
12-08-2009, 04:20 PM
yeah mouse...

I go to the austin convention every year, looking for unusual album covers, rare/banned covers, or just anything unusual. I have maybe 500 right now, mostly from my collecting days back in the 1970s.

mouse
12-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Do you keep them in plastic covers? Will you make me some 12 inch recordings?

I need all the 80s dance music 12 inch and I can't find an old April wine Lp.

http://strider01.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/album_cover_crap_170_april_wine_21.jpg

April Wine Live At The El Mocambo Juvenile Delinquent

Bender
12-08-2009, 04:33 PM
between me & my record collecting buddy, we have lots of the 1970s april wine LPs, including the El Mocambo LP.

I hate 80s music. My whole collection is late-60s to mid-70s heavy rock, hard rock, psychedelic stuff, blues rock, etc.

all my LPs have been treated with TLC, in plastic covers, stored upright, inside the home.

mouse
12-08-2009, 04:47 PM
between me & my record collecting buddy, we have lots of the 1970s april wine LPs, including the El Mocambo LP.

Well if you want some of my art work I will be framing it this summer a great investment, or if you need a new cpu put in your laptop maybe we can do a trade. how about putting some of your shit on youtube?

You have any old school music like Garfield or British lions?

I hate 80s music.

yes but it's hard to get people dancing to Motor head these days I need it for the next troll gtg I want to see Joe Chalupa on the dance floor dancing to
Stevie B
LqkaoLEAZr0

My whole collection is late-60s to mid-70s heavy rock, hard rock, psychedelic stuff, blues rock, etc.

You have old SRV?

Bender
12-08-2009, 04:59 PM
yes on British lions. got both LPs, well my buddy does. I've ripped them for myself.

maybe on Garfield, not sure. I have a signed poster by Garfield... met him at Record Hole in San Antonio.

yes, all SRV albums (I think).

there maybe some "new wave" stuff from the 80s that I kind of like, but not too much. Don't think I have any 80s LPs, though, except maybe some early metallica, and a couple others.

mouse
12-08-2009, 06:33 PM
You have any photos of your collection?

Bender
12-09-2009, 09:05 AM
nope, no pics. I have most of them in some of those speaker cubes that you used to get at Oak Express and those places. You mean of the whole collection, or of some of the individual LPs?