PDA

View Full Version : At this rate, will we even make playoffs?

elec99
12-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Ok, im a loyal spurs fan, i will take constructive criticism, but leave the hate on another board. Heres my point: 2 teams that did not make the playoffs last year will make the playoffs this year.

first is a no brainer: Phoenix.
second is a leap: i think okc will.

that means 2 teams that did make PO last year will not:
first is a no brainer: New Orleans
second i think is either utah or our own SA.

The silver lining to our losses are that we are not being blown out, we are losing by slim margins. We even had great leads during the games against denver and utah, but eventually lost. This suggests that though we had the execution down, we just ran out of gas.

The bad part about this is that what remedy is there for age? I mean, this isnt something that a new rotation will fix?

I think tim and tony are doing fine, though i wish tony had a jumper we could rely on, that would make penetration late in the fourth easier. Come late in the fourth, teams will just collapse in the paint and live with whatever tony tosses up.
Manu has lost a step. I think many associate this with injury but i think it is more an age thing. i like the high pick and roll he does with blair, but when he has the ball in a corner, the defender just stays to his left and theres not much he can do after that.
RJ: i never saw RJs potential but when you look at his numbers on paper you cant help but think its a good trade. When he does average 8+ attempts each game, he only makes about 2 or 3, dont know how much longer we can wait.
blair: whats up with the limited minutes? hope this is another jedi mind trick by pop.
pop: i think pop is waiting to unleash a different lineup later, one that involves ratliff, a defensive threat down low. call me crazy, but if he shows that now, then the good teams can learn from the season to counter it. i think pop sees the small margins of loss as a sign that only something small needs to be tweaked, nothing fundamental.

That said, weve lost to good teams before, as long as we win against the sub 50 teams we CAN make the playoffs. But unless we really gel defensively thatll only mean a quick series against the lakers or nuggets.

gonna have a beer now and root loudly as we beat the kings and hopefully the alcohol will erase my memory of the 3 straight losses, you should do the same.

temujin
12-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Parker has played all summer. He could only get worse from now on, paticularly his defense, which is already appalling.
Duncan is doing very well, but again moving up to the 35 mpg mark. If this continues, he'll be done by March.
Ginobili..... I don't know, he looks like an average player.
Jefferson, forget about the guy, he is a looser. The least he plays, the better Spurs chances are.

All in all, Spurs will make the playoffs, if
Bogans can improve the shooting (Hard to get worse),
Blair and Hill keep improving (and get more minutes),
Bonner continues to surprise (and doesn't get the last shot),
Finley is not playing more than 10 mpg (and shoot 40% from 3),
Mason regains some of the hunger he had last year,

They will get to the playoffs by beating terrible teams and some of the mediocres.
Spurs will not win more than two/three games against elite teams (Lakers/Denver/Cleveland/Orlando/Boston).

Bukefal
12-08-2009, 01:55 PM
We will, the team needs to find its rythm and I hope TP get's back to 100% and jefferson finds his perfect role soon. Im confident. Of course we'll make the playoffs, we're the spurs!!!!

bus driver
12-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Believe!

Chomag
12-08-2009, 02:21 PM
I believe we will. Alot of improvment does need to happen before that though. I have faith!

SenorSpur
12-08-2009, 02:23 PM
I'll be concerned if the Spurs are still struggling at the halfway point in the season. At that point, I"ll start looking at international draft prospects.

rayray2k8
12-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Oh christ the forum has noob over load and it can't be controlled..
Why don't ya'll start rooting for magic or cavs or something?
Advice?
STAY THE FUCK OFF THE FORUM NOOB!

LOL@MavsFan
12-08-2009, 02:44 PM
Ok, im a loyal spurs fan, i will take constructive criticism, but leave the hate on another board. Heres my point: 2 teams that did not make the playoffs last year will make the playoffs this year.

first is a no brainer: Phoenix.
second is a leap: i think okc will.

that means 2 teams that did make PO last year will not:
first is a no brainer: New Orleans
second i think is either utah or our own SA.

The silver lining to our losses are that we are not being blown out, we are losing by slim margins. We even had great leads during the games against denver and utah, but eventually lost. This suggests that though we had the execution down, we just ran out of gas.

The bad part about this is that what remedy is there for age? I mean, this isnt something that a new rotation will fix?

I think tim and tony are doing fine, though i wish tony had a jumper we could rely on, that would make penetration late in the fourth easier. Come late in the fourth, teams will just collapse in the paint and live with whatever tony tosses up.
Manu has lost a step. I think many associate this with injury but i think it is more an age thing. i like the high pick and roll he does with blair, but when he has the ball in a corner, the defender just stays to his left and theres not much he can do after that.
RJ: i never saw RJs potential but when you look at his numbers on paper you cant help but think its a good trade. When he does average 8+ attempts each game, he only makes about 2 or 3, dont know how much longer we can wait.
blair: whats up with the limited minutes? hope this is another jedi mind trick by pop.
pop: i think pop is waiting to unleash a different lineup later, one that involves ratliff, a defensive threat down low. call me crazy, but if he shows that now, then the good teams can learn from the season to counter it. i think pop sees the small margins of loss as a sign that only something small needs to be tweaked, nothing fundamental.

That said, weve lost to good teams before, as long as we win against the sub 50 teams we CAN make the playoffs. But unless we really gel defensively thatll only mean a quick series against the lakers or nuggets.

gonna have a beer now and root loudly as we beat the kings and hopefully the alcohol will erase my memory of the 3 straight losses, you should do the same.

I don't know...there are only 64 games left so probably not :rolleyes

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Actually, 64 methinks.

LOL@MavsFan
12-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Oh christ the forum has noob over load and it can't be controlled..
Why don't ya'll start rooting for magic or cavs or something?
Advice?
STAY THE FUCK OFF THE FORUM NOOB!
:toast :toast :toast

LOL@MavsFan
12-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Actually, 64 methinks.

They still have no chance :lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Our crappy ass road record at this point indicates a lack of focus more than anything else. Last night we got beat by falling asleep in the 3rd quarter. This team is not playing horrible for having a lot of new pieces. I think we'll be fine. Probably the 3 seed behind LA and Denver.

ffadicted
12-08-2009, 02:52 PM
It depends, you used the word rate, and our winning rate is .500, so "at this rate" we'll finish 41-41, so probably not make the playoffs.

Is that the mathematical answer you were looking for?

mexicanjunior
12-08-2009, 02:55 PM
I think we can squeeze into a 6-8 seed if they somehow find themselves by March. If not, it is lottery time...

LOL@MavsFan
12-08-2009, 02:57 PM
I think we can squeeze into a 6-8 seed if they somehow find themselves by March. If not, it is lottery time...

HAHA! Man the negativity that spews from you and other noobs' collective mouthes get funnier and funnier everytime. :lol:lmao

lefty
12-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Oh noes !!!!!

OMG !!!!!

mexicanjunior
12-08-2009, 02:59 PM
HAHA! Man the negativity that spews from you and other noobs' collective mouthes get funnier and funnier everytime. :lol:lmao

And the homerism that spews from your's gets more and more illogical. Have fun planning the parade route this year...

Spursmania
12-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Please stop with the drama. We're going to make the playoffs. Did you see how close the Spurs were in the last 3 games? Yeah, it hurts and doubt begins to creep in because we haven't seen them close out a game against our Western foes. And, yet we were so close each time. But this Jazz loss will be the turning point.

The Spurs will turn it around. Now go take a nap, go to work, eat some good food and everything will be ok tomorrow night when the Spurs begin their winning streak.

mexicanjunior
12-08-2009, 03:03 PM
And, yet we were so close each time. But this Jazz loss will be the turning point.

This statement was probably made after the first 2 to Utah...we are going to have 40 "silver linings" by the end of the year... :lol

duncan228
12-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Oh noes !!!!!

OMG !!!!!

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/gifs/panic2.gif

lefty
12-08-2009, 03:06 PM
http://www.guildravenguard.com/rgnews/rgnewz_07_07_09/oh-noes.jpg

http://www.thewolverineblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/oh-noes.jpg

mexicanjunior
12-08-2009, 03:07 PM
http://www.randomdestination.com/members/mj/pics/pollyanna.JPG

urunobili
12-08-2009, 03:08 PM
http://fc00.deviantart.com/fs6/i/2005/115/7/e/__Jump_Off_a_Cliff___Emoticon_by_neek_zique.gif

Flux451
12-08-2009, 03:10 PM
At this rate,no.

we need to raise the rate...I think we will

ElNono
12-08-2009, 03:18 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5GQ47PF3FTc/SMcJEOVbVTI/AAAAAAAAAHk/wjh5i7UR40M/s400/usb_panic_1.png

Spursmania
12-08-2009, 03:20 PM
http://fc00.deviantart.com/fs6/i/2005/115/7/e/__Jump_Off_a_Cliff___Emoticon_by_neek_zique.gif

:lmao

spurs50_
12-08-2009, 03:26 PM
We will make the playoffs, besides even if we get a good draft pick its not like Pop will run any plays for him.

sabar
12-08-2009, 03:34 PM
At the rate a few weeks ago, are Phoenix and Atlanta the Finals match-up?

elec99
12-08-2009, 04:00 PM
It depends, you used the word rate, and our winning rate is .500, so "at this rate" we'll finish 41-41, so probably not make the playoffs.

Is that the mathematical answer you were looking for?

great point, forgot there were 1 or 2 games at 50 that did not make it, just remember phoenix was not one. even at this point last year our record did not jump out at me cause i saw the level and energy of play to be promising.

since someone commented on bonner: i never like him as a starter but i think hes even grown comfortable now that hes not. all ive ever expected from him as a bencher was 6-8 pts, but when given starter minutes than you expect more. im delighted with 6-8 as a bencher with limited minutes, 10-12 as a bencher with starter minutes.

i think mason is "ok" bringing the ball up but after crossing over the timeline the ball needs to go to someone else to feed him if he is to get a shot. when he dribbles to find a shot the defender is all over that.

and no im not panicking, i just look at numbers and try to calculate. there will be at least one 50 team that wont make the PO. also cant understand how you get 50 rebounds to the cletics 32 and not win, on paper the boxscore doesnt make sense. but am happy it was close, especially when the opposing teams score is in the low 90s.

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-08-2009, 04:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds

relax. Hollinger gives the Spurs a 61.7% chance of making the playoffs :toast

You gotta look at the other teams outside the Spurs as well.

- The Blazers are screwed without Oden and other injuries.

- The Hornets just suck, even with Cp3 back

- Kings/grizzlies/clippers/warriors/wolves will win games here and there, but not make a playoff run.

So in reality it leaves you with

Lakers/Nuggets/Spurs/Suns/Mavs/Thunder/Rockets/Jazz

It is a pretty safe bet to assume the Spurs will beat out the Rockets and Thunder, so they would get at least the 6th seed.

Mr.Robinson
12-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Spurs will still win 54 games.

elec99
12-08-2009, 04:24 PM

You gotta look at the other teams outside the Spurs as well.

- The Blazers are screwed without Oden and other injuries.

- The Hornets just suck, even with Cp3 back

- Kings/grizzlies/clippers/warriors/wolves will win games here and there, but not make a playoff run.

So in reality it leaves you with

Lakers/Nuggets/Spurs/Suns/Mavs/Thunder/Rockets/Jazz

It is a pretty safe bet to assume the Spurs will beat out the Rockets and Thunder, so they would get at least the 6th seed.

true regarding portland, but i think theyre still good enough to make the PO despite their tough injuries.

z0sa
12-08-2009, 04:28 PM
I am confident we will make the playoffs.

DesignatedT
12-08-2009, 04:29 PM
no

Johnny RIngo
12-08-2009, 04:31 PM
We'll beat enough of the bottom feeders to make the playoffs. Probably won't last long in the post season(just look at our record vs the good teams).

velik_m
12-08-2009, 04:33 PM

:lol
This smiley needs to be added to the forum.

elec99
12-08-2009, 06:17 PM

i just noticed hes counting portland out and gave okc an 80+ % chance of making the PO.

carib
12-08-2009, 06:45 PM
:toast :toast :toast

How do you think and feel about the Spurs

senorglory
12-08-2009, 07:21 PM
yes, we make the playoffs.

that is all.

Chieflion
12-08-2009, 07:48 PM
This is outrageous. I still think this team can make the playoffs. Whether the championship can be won is another question, however.

SpursRulez4eVeR
12-08-2009, 08:03 PM
i luv all these gif ,all saved. thx lol

Chicken Little
12-08-2009, 08:25 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5GQ47PF3FTc/SMcJEOVbVTI/AAAAAAAAAHk/wjh5i7UR40M/s400/usb_panic_1.png
I'm Chicken Little Cluck, and I approve this message.

FkLA
12-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Why do you higher-up guys even allow all these threads? Why not just combine all these will we even make the playoffs, spurs winning titles is over, $70 mill for this, etc threads? Make like a Let It Out thread or some shit cause these retarded cliff jumpers are turning the Spurs section of the boards into a joke.

kamikazi_player
12-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Chicken Little, you're the worst animated movie ever

Chicken Little
12-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Kamikazi, you're at the mercy of lakaluva.

I'd rather be me.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Yes, we will make the playoffs, but unless there is drastic improvement we will not go anywhere once we make them.

kamikazi_player
12-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Kamikazi, you're at the mercy of lakaluva.

I'd rather be me.
Pretty lame troll account imo :lol

Scola
12-08-2009, 09:25 PM
According to hollinger, we have a 61% percent chance of making it. :|

Team / Playoff odds
----------------
Lakers / 99.6%
Denver / 97.4%
Phoenix / 95.4%
Dallas / 87.9%
OKC / 82.5%
Utah / 78.3%
Houston / 77.8%
SA / 61.7%

Chicken Little
12-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Just giving the cliffjumpers a heads up.