PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, is this not enough...

Yonivore
12-08-2009, 09:12 PM
...to cause you to question Obama's judgement? All the other stuff aside, that he continues to countenance this dude, is beyond reprehensible.

Obama's "Safe Schools Czar" Jennings headed an organization, Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN), sponsored a conference where high school students were given "fisting kits." (http://biggovernment.com/2009/12/08/fistgate-ii-high-school-students-given-fisting-kits-at-kevin-jennings-2001-glsen-conference/)

In March 2000 the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network (GLSEN) organization of Massachusetts held its 10 Year Anniversary GLSEN/Boston conference at Tufts University. This conference was fully supported by the Massachusetts Department of Education, the Safe Schools Program, the Governor’s Commission on Gay and Lesbian Youth, and some of the presenters even received federal money. During the 2000 conference, workshop leaders led a “youth only, ages 14-21″ session that offered lessons in “fisting” a dangerous sexual practice. During another workshop an activist asked 14 year-old students, “Spit or swallow?… Is it rude?” The unbelievable audio clip is posted here. Barack Obama’s “Safe Schools Czar” Kevin Jennings is the founder of GLSEN. He was paid $273,573.96 as its executive director in 2007. Jennings was the keynote speaker at the 2000 GLSEN conference.
It's almost as if there was an intentional effort to put the worst possible people in administration postions...from tax cheat Geightner at Treasury to this pedophile as the SAFE SCHOOLS CZAR.

George Gervin's Afro
12-08-2009, 10:31 PM
...to cause you to question Obama's judgement? All the other stuff aside, that he continues to countenance this dude, is beyond reprehensible.

Obama's "Safe Schools Czar" Jennings headed an organization, Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN), sponsored a conference where high school students were given "fisting kits." (http://biggovernment.com/2009/12/08/fistgate-ii-high-school-students-given-fisting-kits-at-kevin-jennings-2001-glsen-conference/)

It's almost as if there was an intentional effort to put the worst possible people in administration postions...from tax cheat Geightner at Treasury to this pedophile as the SAFE SCHOOLS CZAR.

ye'r doing a heck of a job brownie

Yonivore
12-08-2009, 10:36 PM
ye'r doing a heck of a job brownie
Which means what, exactly? That you're unable to defend Obama's continued association with yet another questionable character in his administration?

George Gervin's Afro
12-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Which means what, exactly?

Nothing really. I just never heard you complain about bad appointments before.

Yonivore
12-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Nothing really. I just never heard you complain about bad appointments before.
I've never seen so many in one administration. Hell, the only good ones are those he held over from the previous administration.

But, this guy takes the cake. Would you not have fired him already?

Nbadan
12-08-2009, 11:50 PM
OMG! Fisting!

:lol

spursncowboys
12-08-2009, 11:54 PM
This is terrible how these groups want to take all moral standards out of society.

ChumpDumper
12-09-2009, 12:25 AM
So what has Jennings done as a member of the Obama administration that you oppose?

spursncowboys
12-09-2009, 12:38 AM
So what has Jennings done as a member of the Obama administration that you oppose?

Have you ever posted about Cheney working for Haliburton?

ChumpDumper
12-09-2009, 12:41 AM
I opposed Cheney's lies about WMDs and his lust to start an unnecessary war -- as a member of the Bush administration.

So what has Jennings done as a member of the Obama administration that you oppose, SnC?

I'm sure there is a 20 minute Glenn Beck YouTube out there that can answer for you.

TeyshaBlue
12-09-2009, 11:39 AM
I don't lay this at Obama's feet. His handlers have done a horrible job at vetting these appointments. Obama has some housecleaning to do in that regard. I'm pretty sure he starts each day with a facepalm.:coffee:shootme

FromWayDowntown
12-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Impeach Obama!!

spursncowboys
12-09-2009, 12:28 PM
I don't lay this at Obama's feet. His handlers have done a horrible job at vetting these appointments. Obama has some housecleaning to do in that regard. I'm pretty sure he starts each day with a facepalm.:coffee:shootme

This is a pattern. These guys either don't care or think they can sneak these guys through. For the most part, I think the Obama people are ok with what they did. However I don't believe it is incompetence.

jack sommerset
12-09-2009, 12:53 PM
:lol fisting. That Jennings is one sick mofo

DarkReign
12-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Oh cmon, Dem or not, this is highly weird for the "Safe School Czar" (if true).

BTW, is it me, or is it weird to use the word Czar in American politics?

Ignignokt
12-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Impeach Obama!!

FrothGueyDowns, why if someone has a complaint against the administration, does that mean they automatically want to impeach them?

Spursmania
12-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Oh cmon, Dem or not, this is highly weird for the "Safe School Czar" (if true).

BTW, is it me, or is it weird to use the word Czar in American politics?

Really, to defend this guy just shows how blind some posters are. The political forum is a joke. Nobody wants to talk about substance. It's either you're a Rep. and we hate you or you're a Dem and we hate you too. :wakeup

Yonivore
12-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Impeach Obama!!
How 'bout we start with firing Jennings.

ChumpDumper
12-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Really, to defend this guy just shows how blind some posters are. The political forum is a joke. Nobody wants to talk about substance. It's either you're a Rep. and we hate you or you're a Dem and we hate you too. :wakeupLet's talk about substance.

What has Jennings done as a member of the Obama administration that you oppose?

Yonivore
12-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Let's talk about substance.

What has Jennings done as a member of the Obama administration that you oppose?
Held views (none of which I am aware of him disavowing) that would seem to be anathema to one holding the position "Safe Schools Czar."

Seriously, you're okay with this guy?

MiamiHeat
12-09-2009, 08:32 PM
wait...

people were asking 14 year olds about fisting and spitting and swallowing?

oh my god.......isn't that a jailable offense?

Yonivore
12-09-2009, 08:37 PM
wait...

people were asking 14 year olds about fisting and spitting and swallowing?

oh my god.......isn't that a jailable offense?
Asking? Hell, if it were only that bad...

They were passing out kits with instructions.

Yonivore
12-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Impeach Obama!!
Since you bring it up, though...

10% of Democrats want Obama impeached...5% of Democrats that voted for Obama want him impeached. (http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_National_1209.pdf)

I'm not sure Biden has that many relatives.

panic giraffe
12-09-2009, 09:13 PM
i find the 10% a little hard to believe...
was it just registered dems or anyone who can say they're dem?

Yonivore
12-09-2009, 09:34 PM
i find the 10% a little hard to believe...
was it just registered dems or anyone who can say they're dem?
I don't know, the polling organization is the left-leaning Public Policy Institute. Maybe you should ask them.

But, reading Daily Kos today, I'm not surprised by the 10% at all. I think the veneer is wearing off The Won. It's becoming pretty apparent to everyone, he has no fucking clue how to be President.

ChumpDumper
12-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Held views (none of which I am aware of him disavowing) that would seem to be anathema to one holding the position "Safe Schools Czar."

Seriously, you're okay with this guy?:lol

So he hasn't actually done anything as a member of the Obama administration with which you disagree.

Can you name anything he has actually done as a member of the Obama administration?

Yonivore
12-09-2009, 09:55 PM

So he hasn't actually done anything as a member of the Obama administration with which you disagree.
You don't think one's views influence their work?

Can you name anything he has actually done as a member of the Obama administration?
Can you name anything he's done as a member of the Obama administration?

TeyshaBlue
12-09-2009, 09:57 PM

I think the problem is akin to appointing someone with a history of stealing chickens to the position of Poultry Czar. :lol

ChumpDumper
12-09-2009, 10:17 PM
You don't think one's views influence their work?Yet, you can't tell me it has.

Can you name anything he's done as a member of the Obama administration?No.

I'm not the one bitching about him.

Can you name anything he has done as a member of the Obama administration?

ChumpDumper
12-09-2009, 10:18 PM
I think the problem is akin to appointing someone with a history of stealing chickens to the position of Poultry Czar. :lolAre you calling him a child molester?

Yonivore
12-09-2009, 11:27 PM
Why give him the chance? What's the upside to having this pervert in the administration?

ChumpDumper
12-10-2009, 04:11 AM
Why give him the chance? What's the upside to having this pervert in the administration?Answer the question.

Gerryatrics
12-10-2009, 07:48 AM
I was going to ask what exactly is in a fisting kit, but quickly decided I really don't want to know.

EmptyMan
12-10-2009, 09:28 AM
haha this is some sick shit! When Fox News was talking about it, they were showing still pictures of the guy....in front of a kid's playground :lmao

What a circus.

TeyshaBlue
12-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Are you calling him a child molester?

Nope. Did you see me call him a child molester?

FromWayDowntown
12-10-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm sure that nobody employed by the Bush Administration ever, for example, basically decided that the constitution was merely advisory or that long-standing constitutional precedent could be summarily ignored on executive whim. Had they done so, I'm sure that Yonivore and others would have been screaming about the poor judgment of a President who would rely upon such a person.

Oh, and no more gays should be allowed to hold policy making provisions. Constitution, schmonstitution -- I draw the line at gays being allowed to make policy at any level. Next thing you know, they'll be letting Hispanics, Blacks, Muslims, and atheists do that kind of thing! I really should never be subjected to the policy choices of those I vehemently disagree with -- the outcomes of elections do not overbear the fundamental correctness of my philosophical beliefs.

jack sommerset
12-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Answer the GODDAMN question.

Obama hired a pervert and you want to know if he taught anyone to fist this past year. Funny.

ChumpDumper
12-10-2009, 04:20 PM
I can't name one thing Jennings has done as a member of the Obama administration.Thanks.

Yonivore
12-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Answer the question.

Why? You never answered the original question; is this type of appointment not enough to question Obama's judgment on who he puts in his administration? If you knew of Jenning's background, would you appoint him "Safe Schools Czar?" They're simple questions, really.

Besides, I'm not privvy to his daily itinerary or responsibilities so, I'm not sure exactly what he's doing or what he has done. I just know I don't want to give him the chance. I think reasonable people would agree.

Yonivore
12-10-2009, 07:41 PM
I'm sure that nobody employed by the Bush Administration ever, for example, basically decided that the constitution was merely advisory or that long-standing constitutional precedent could be summarily ignored on executive whim. Had they done so, I'm sure that Yonivore and others would have been screaming about the poor judgment of a President who would rely upon such a person.
Your characterizations that someone did is merely your partisan view...a view not shared by everyone. That Jennings was involved in teaching high school children about fisting and providing kits to accomplish the feat, isn't conjecture. It's fact.

Oh, and no more gays should be allowed to hold policy making provisions. Constitution, schmonstitution -- I draw the line at gays being allowed to make policy at any level. Next thing you know, they'll be letting Hispanics, Blacks, Muslims, and atheists do that kind of thing! I really should never be subjected to the policy choices of those I vehemently disagree with -- the outcomes of elections do not overbear the fundamental correctness of my philosophical beliefs.
Who said anything about gays? Nice deflection. I'm concerned with the pervert's interest in facilitating abnormal teen sex acts.

ChumpDumper
12-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Why? You never answered the original question; is this type of appointment not enough to question Obama's judgment on who he puts in his administration?No.
If you knew of Jenning's background, would you appoint him "Safe Schools Czar?" They're simple questions, really.I don't know about Jennings' background beyond what hysterical douches have posted. I don't find hysterical douches persuasive.

Simple answers.

Besides, I'm not privvy to his daily itinerary or responsibilities so, I'm not sure exactly what he's doing or what he has done. I just know I don't want to give him the chance. I think reasonable people would agree.The chance to what?

Thanks for admitting your complete ignorance.

:tu

Yonivore
12-10-2009, 07:46 PM
No.I don't know about Jennings' background beyond what hysterical douches have posted. I don't find hysterical douches persuasive.

Simple answers.
So, you don't think the allegations are true or you don't care if they are?

Thanks for admitting your complete ignorance.

:tu
As complete as yours, apparently

ChumpDumper
12-10-2009, 07:46 PM
I'm concerned with the pervert's interest in facilitating abnormal teen sex acts.What do you consider a normal teen sex act?

Be specific.

Mr. Peabody
12-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Your characterizations that someone did is merely your partisan view...a view not shared by everyone. That Jennings was involved in teaching high school children about fisting and providing kits to accomplish the feat, isn't conjecture. It's fact.

Uh....I don't know that it is fact.

Back in 2000, Jennings' organization, the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network (GLSEN), held a conference at Tufts University. The conference featured numerous workshops for students and educators, including "How to decide whether to come out at work," and "Strategies and curriculum ideas for addressing gay, lesbian, bisexual and trans-gender issues in a high school English curriculum." One of the workshops, titled "What They Didn't Tell You About Queer Sex and Sexuality in Health Class: Workshop for Youth Only, Ages 14-21," was run by two Massachusetts state Department of Education staffers and a state DoE consultant.

During the workshop, students asked a lot of very explicit questions about sex, and received explicit answers. As Hoft himself acknowledges in the body of his posts, it is the Department of Education staffers - not Jennings himself - who appear in the audio giving those answers. An activist for the anti-gay group Parents Rights Coalition (now MassResistance) snuck into the workshop and taped it, in a possible violation of state laws banning the taping of people without their permission (stop me if you've heard this one before).

Jennings subsequently criticized the workshop to the Boston Herald:

"Like the Parents Rights Coalition and the Department of Education, GLSEN is also troubled by some of the content that came up during this workshop," said Kevin Jennings, national executive director of the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network.

He said people who run workshops in the future will get clearer guidelines, though Jennings said the network's annual conference at Tufts University should not be judged on the 30-student seminar "What They Didn't Tell You About Queer Sex and Sexuality in Health Class."

"We need to make our expectations and guidelines to outside facilitators much more clear," said Jennings. "Because we are surprised and troubled by some of the accounts we've heard."

Meanwhile, officials at the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network, said they would also be looking further into the March workshops, because they would also be opposed to graphic sex talk that would be inappropriate for young adults.

"From what I've heard, I have concerns as well," said executive director Kevin Jennings. "GLSEN believes that children do have a right to accurate, safer sex education, but this needs to be delivered in an age appropriate and sensitive manner."

It's also worth noting that the three Department of Education employees who ran the workshops were fired for this incident.

DarkReign
12-10-2009, 07:56 PM

Thats incredibly well said. :tu

DarkReign
12-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Still doesnt make it any less weird.

Mr. Peabody
12-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Still doesnt make it any less weird.

Oh I agree it's weird, but what I'm having trouble with is the nexus between an incident that Jennings was not a party to and his qualifications for his position in the administration.

ChumpDumper
12-10-2009, 08:00 PM
So, you don't think the allegations are true or you don't care if they are?It sure looks like they aren't true at all, don't they?

As complete as yours, apparentlyI clearly admitted my ignorance but it turns out, you are ignorant and gullible.

Yonivore
12-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Uh....I don't know that it is fact.
Jennings founded the organization that sponsored the conference. He helped organize the annual conference, and he was present at the conference. He should have known what was going to be presented at the conference.

He was, as I said, involved.

It's also worth noting that the three Department of Education employees who ran the workshops were fired for this incident.
This isn't Jennings' only transgression. He has quite a history of excusing, condoning, or sympathizing with adult/child sexual relationships.

He once praised a guy name Harry Hay who was a mover and shaker in NAMBLA and once bragged of having sex with an 18 month old baby. His supporters (apologists) will point out he was merely praising Hay's activism or gays but, c'mon, were there no other praise-worthy gay activists that didn't rape children? He called this sicko an inspiration.

He once looked the other way, as a high school counselor, when a minor child reported a sexual relationship with an adult.

And, now this?

ChumpDumper
12-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Jennings founded the organization that sponsored the conference. He helped organize the annual conference, and he was present at the conference. He should have known what was going to be presented at the conference.

He was, as I said, involved.So, using your logic, Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld should be held responsible for Abu Ghraib. They were, as you said, invovled.

This isn't Jennings' only transgression. He has quite a history of excusing, condoning, or sympathizing with adult/child sexual relationships.

He once praised a guy name Harry Hay who was a mover and shaker in NAMBLA and once bragged of having sex with an 18 month old baby. His supporters (apologists) will point out he was merely praising Hay's activism or gays but, c'mon, were there no other praise-worthy gay activists that didn't rape children? He called this sicko an inspiration.

He once looked the other way, as a high school counselor, when a minor child reported a sexual relationship with an adult.Forgive me if I don't believe the rantings of a hysterical douche who is a proven liar.

Mr. Peabody
12-10-2009, 08:12 PM

He was, as I said, involved.

He once looked the other way, as a high school counselor, when a minor child reported a sexual relationship with an adult.

And, now this?

:lmao

And by "And, now this?", do you mean "And now (nine years ago and already was covered by the media back then, but only recently being rehashed by right wing blogs) this?".

Yonivore
12-10-2009, 08:14 PM

And by "And, now this?", do you mean "And now (nine years ago and already was covered by the media back then, but only recently being rehashed by right wing blogs) this?".
Well, who would have dreamed Obama would put this guy in charge of Safe Schools?

ChumpDumper
12-10-2009, 08:14 PM

And by "And, now this?", do you mean "And now (nine years ago and already was covered by the media back then, but only recently being rehashed by right wing blogs) this?".No shit.

I don't know what he does or could do, but I want to make sure he can't do it based on things he didn't do in the past!

ChumpDumper
12-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Well, who would have dreamed Obama would put this guy in charge of Safe Schools?Who could have dreamed that people like you would lie about what actually happened nine years ago?

Mr. Peabody
12-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Well, who would have dreamed Obama would put this guy in charge of Safe Schools?

Again, what has he done that makes him unfit for that position? I haven't heard anything other than the fact that some state employees at a conference sponsored by the organization headed by Jennings made inappropriate comments, which Jennings condemned, and for which the state employees were fired.

FromWayDowntown
12-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Again, what has he done that makes him unfit for that position? I haven't heard anything other than the fact that some state employees at a conference sponsored by the organization headed by Jennings made inappropriate comments, which Jennings condemned, and for which the state employees were fired.

It doesn't matter that I can't specifically point to anything to corroborate my certainty that this is yet another example (one of certainly thousands, to keep my estimates low) of Obama's neo-Satanic effect on America; what matters is that I can push innuendo to insinuate wrongdoing in the absence of any evidence of wrongdoing.

MiamiHeat
12-10-2009, 11:11 PM
waitr a fucking second, I am still stuck on the child thing

IN WHAT state is it legal to talk about swallowing cum and fisting to a bunch of 14 year olds?!???????????????????????????

WHAT THE F!!!!!!!!!!

ChumpDumper
12-10-2009, 11:24 PM
waitr a fucking second, I am still stuck on the child thing

IN WHAT state is it legal to talk about swallowing cum and fisting to a bunch of 14 year olds?!???????????????????????????

WHAT THE F!!!!!!!!!!You'll be pleased to know it wasn't Jennings or anyone in his organization who did this.

Yonivore
12-11-2009, 07:10 PM
You'll be pleased to know it wasn't Jennings or anyone in his organization who did this.
His organization just facilitated it happening.

ChumpDumper
12-11-2009, 07:15 PM
His organization just facilitated it happening.Did he or anyone in his organization do it?

You said he must have had foreknowledge that it was going to happen.

Prove it.

I can certainly see the possibility that he had no knowledge of it.

Can you?

ChumpDumper
12-11-2009, 07:17 PM
His organization just facilitated it happening.So Bush's organization just facilitated the prisoner abuse in Abu Ghraib.

I'm so glad you want Bush to be held directly responsible for that.

Yonivore
12-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Did he or anyone in his organization do it?

You said he must have had foreknowledge that it was going to happen.

Prove it.

I can certainly see the possibility that he had no knowledge of it.

Can you?
What is he, your Dad? Way to defend.

There were similar incidents at the GLESN Conference in 2000, 2001, and 2005. You'd think after the 2000 incident, he would either be more diligent about who participates or disassociate himself from the event.

Then, you've got to explain why Harry Hay is such an inspiration -- over all the other Gay Activists he could have as an inspiration.

Finally, if his idea of counseling a teen being butt fucked by an adult, is to admonish him to wear a condom and send him on his way, I think I don't want him associated with our nation's youth in any capacity.

But, if you do, just say so...actually, you've done as much already.

ChumpDumper
12-11-2009, 07:33 PM
What is he, your Dad? Way to defend.

There were similar incidents at the GLESN Conference in 2000, 2001, and 2005. You'd think after the 2000 incident, he would either be more diligent about who participates or disassociate himself from the event.Tell us al what happened every time.

Be specific.

Then, you've got to explain why Harry Hay is such an inspiration -- over all the other Gay Activists he could have as an inspiration.I don't have to explain it. I don't like it.

Finally, if his idea of counseling a teen being butt fucked by an adult, is to admonish him to wear a condom and send him on his way, I think I don't want him associated with our nation's youth in any capacity.That teen was at the age of consent. And you lied about that as well.

But, if you do, just say so...actually, you've done as much already.I have said you lied repeatedly about this man, and I am repeating that. You are a liar.

clambake
12-11-2009, 07:34 PM
so, in the end, this is about who's doing the butt fucking?

is that right, yoni?

Yonivore
12-11-2009, 07:36 PM
so, in the end, this is about who's doing the butt fucking?

is that right, yoni?
Actually, no. It's about his apparent attitudes towards adult/children sexual relationships.

clambake
12-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Actually, no. It's about his apparent attitudes towards adult/children sexual relationships.

thats not very specific.

actually, i think you're being intentionally non-specific.

you have anything concrete?

ChumpDumper
12-11-2009, 07:50 PM
thats not very specific.

actually, i think you're being intentionally non-specific.

you have anything concrete?No, it's all about innuendo and fear mongering with yoni.

And lying.

Lots and lots of lying.

Yonivore
12-11-2009, 07:54 PM
5jD2xtltgfw

Margot Abels, who got fired by GLSEN after the content of the seminars became known, says Jennings and others at GLSEN knew the content of their curriculum and approved it. If one sees the handout material GLSEN provided for these classes, that becomes rather obvious:

http://www.massresistance.org/docs/issues/black_book/images/page_2425.jpg

But, okay...if none of this convinces you he's unfit for the "Safe School Czar" position; tell me, what makes him qualified?

clambake
12-11-2009, 07:56 PM
No, it's all about innuendo and fear mongering with yoni.

And lying.

Lots and lots of lying.

do you think he noticed that he was approaching "the buck stops here" theory?

clambake
12-11-2009, 07:58 PM
lol at that video.

lol he doesn't understand the term "concrete".

ChumpDumper
12-11-2009, 08:00 PM
do you think he noticed that he was approaching "the buck stops here" theory?No, he has a blind spot when bush is involved.

Margot Abels, who got fired by GLSEN after the content of the seminars became known, says Jennings and others at GLSEN knew the content of their curriculum and approved it.You would take the word of someone who was caught peddling smut to kids?

Of course you would.

Pure Yoni.

Mr. Peabody
12-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Yoni, once again, your post is "slightly" misleading.

http://www.boston.com/news/education/k_12/articles/2005/05/19/explicit_pamphlets_displayed_at_school/

Explicit pamphlets displayed at school
Health center regrets mistake
By Joanna Weiss, Globe Staff | May 19, 2005

A community health organization apologized yesterday for bringing a sexually explicit pamphlet for young gay men to a recent conference at Brookline High School on gay and lesbian issues that was attended by high school and middle school students.

Fenway Community Health officials yesterday said they left about 10 copies of the ''Little Black Book" on an informational table they rented at a conference sponsored by the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network of Boston. The annual event, held on April 30 at Brookline High School, was aimed at high school students, educators, counselors, administrators, and parents.

The ''Little Black Book," produced by the AIDS Action Committee of Massachusetts, is targeted at 18-and-older gay men, according to the committee. The book uses vivid descriptions and colloquial terms to describe the ways HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases can be prevented and spread.

A Fenway Community Health employee brought the pamphlets along with other materials and put them on the table by mistake, said Chris Viveiros, a spokesman for Fenway Community Health.

''Fenway Community Health regrets accidentally making available a small number of copies of the Little Black Book, an HIV-prevention publication for gay and bisexual men over the age of 18, at an event where young people were present," said Dr. Stephen Boswell, Fenway Community Health's president and CEO.

Sean Haley, executive director of the education network, which sponsored the conference, added: ''We have very clear policies that sexually explicit material of any kind will not be made available at the conference. Had I seen the book, I would have asked them to put it away."

At the start of the event, Haley said, network officials scanned each of the 10 tables it had rented, for $35 apiece, to outside groups. He said nobody saw the pamphlet at the time. ''We're just going to have to be more rigorous in our review of materials," he said.

Haley said that about 500 people attended the conference, roughly half of them students. He said only ''a handful" were younger than high-school aged.

Members of the Article 8 Alliance, an organization opposed to gay marriage, handed copies of the ''Little Black Book" to reporters on Tuesday at a news conference marking the first anniversary of gay marriage in Massachusetts.

Brian Camenker, Article 8 Alliance's executive director, said he had encouraged members to attend the conference as observers, and one member brought the pamphlet to his attention.

Sally Turner, 73, of Carlisle, an Article 8 Alliance supporter who attended the conference, said she picked up literature from each of the tables, and didn't examine it until hours later. ''I looked at it at home and I was a little bit astonished by what I had," she said.

William Lupini, Brookline school superintendent, said the school system agreed to host the event on the condition that material would be age-appropriate.

''We're disappointed that we laid out what we thought were pretty clear and easy-to-follow conditions and that they weren't adhered to," Lupini said yesterday.

© Copyright 2006 Globe Newspaper Company.

Yonivore
12-11-2009, 08:28 PM
do you think he noticed that he was approaching "the buck stops here" theory?
I contend Jennings was aware of the materials and the seminars not that he's responsible because he founded the organization that sponsored the event.

But, again, if you're okay with this guy...so be it. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Mr. Peabody
12-11-2009, 08:35 PM
You would take the word of someone who was caught peddling smut to kids?

Of course you would.

Pure Yoni.

Well, the thing is that Yoni never shows us the actual "word of someone," just mere supposition and innuendo. It shouldn't be too difficult to find a quote of her actually saying the things Yoni alleges, should it?

Yonivore
12-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Well, the thing is that Yoni never shows us the actual "word of someone," just mere supposition and innuendo. It shouldn't be too difficult to find a quote of her actually saying the things Yoni alleges, should it?
You can google it as easily as I can. I've found a couple of articles from 2001 where Abels and others, involved in the incident, say the materials had been used for years by the Mass. DOE, that her supervisors were aware (http://www.massnews.com/past_issues/2001/sept%202001/9501marg.htm) and that Jennings worked with the DOE in developing the materials.

“[W]e flew sort of below the radar screen for a long time,” Margot Abels told Boston’s homosexual newspaper, Bay Windows.

She taught them sex because she thought she knew better than the parents what should be taught to the children. She says she had the support of state officials during her seven years at the state Department of Education.

“We always knew that we were working in an area that in certain places was considered really controversial and we also knew that we were doing cutting edge work and that there are plenty of people that don’t support doing work with gay kids. But I think that we flew sort of below the radar screen for a long time and were able to, and had the complete support of our agency. Maybe David Driscoll [Commissioner of Education] didn’t always know everything that we did, but certainly our supervisors did,” said Abels.

Here's a quote from another MASS DOE employee, contemporaneous (http://www.massnews.com/past_issues/2001/oct%202001/1001cam.htm)to the incident:

Camenker: Well you see the DOE tried to paint her [Abel] as this anomaly, someone who just came in and did something bad. The department is made up of people just as radical as she is and in many cases more radical. And so, when Driscoll, the Commissioner, and the others tried to say that what she had done was unusual and said it would never happen again, they were a bunch of liars. In fact, they weren’t shocked at all. They knew what was going on. They helped her plan it and they approved it at every level. When the people there heard about what she was doing when we first told them about it, they weren’t surprised. This proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the DOE knew about it and planned it and was actually very comfortable with what she did. The only reason that they fired her was because of the immense public outrage.
Look, I'm not going to spend my weekend building a legal case against Jennings. You either think he was okay with what was happening or you don't. Frankly, it's not worth my time arguing with you.

Mr. Peabody
12-11-2009, 09:08 PM
You can google it as easily as I can. I've found a couple of articles from 2001 where Abels and others, involved in the incident, say the materials had been used for years by the Mass. DOE, that her supervisors were aware (http://www.massnews.com/past_issues/2001/sept%202001/9501marg.htm) and that Jennings worked with the DOE in developing the materials.

Here's a quote from another MASS DOE employee, contemporaneous (http://www.massnews.com/past_issues/2001/oct%202001/1001cam.htm)to the incident:

Look, I'm not going to spend my weekend building a legal case against Jennings. You either think he was okay with what was happening or you don't. Frankly, it's not worth my time arguing with you.

Again, your quotes say the same thing - that Abels' immediate supervisors at the Department of Education knew what she was doing. Jennings was at GLSEN, not at the Department of Education.

Furthermore, you have not provided anything that demonstrates in any way that Jennings knew about and was okay with what employees from the Department of Education did during a conference sponsored by his organization. In fact, the only evidence we have of his feelings on the matter, namely the quote I provided earlier, indicates that he was not okay with what the state employees did.

"We need to make our expectations and guidelines to outside facilitators much more clear," said Jennings. "Because we are surprised and troubled by some of the accounts we've heard."

Does this sound like he knew about and was okay with what went on?

Also, in your post you represent the following -

Margot Abels, who got fired by GLSEN after the content of the seminars became known, says Jennings and others at GLSEN knew the content of their curriculum and approved it.

And yet, in the quote you provided, Abels doesn't mention Jennings or GLSEN in any form or fashion.

“We always knew that we were working in an area that in certain places was considered really controversial and we also knew that we were doing cutting edge work and that there are plenty of people that don’t support doing work with gay kids. But I think that we flew sort of below the radar screen for a long time and were able to, and had the complete support of our agency. Maybe David Driscoll [Commissioner of Education] didn’t always know everything that we did, but certainly our supervisors did,” said Abels.
Isn't your post somewhat misleading then?

Look, I'm not going to spend my weekend building a legal case against Jennings.

This thread you started is you trying to make a case against Jennings. What you're saying with this last statement is that you're not going to bother backing up your argument with anything more that allegations and innuendo.

Yonivore
12-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Look Peabody, he lost me when he claimed Hay was an inspiration. If you want to stand by this guy, fine. I think he should be fired...

Mr. Peabody
12-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Look Peabody, he lost me when he claimed Hay was an inspiration. If you want to stand by this guy, fine. I think he should be fired...

Look, I agree that Jennings saying that he admired Hay for starting the first gay rights organization is a questionable comment in light of Hay's later activities.

As far as standing by the guy, I have nothing invested in him. I just think that much of the fear-mongering with regard to Jennings stems from the fact that he's gay and outspoken on gay rights. And, that's not enough of a reason to keep him from serving in the position he currently occupies.

Duff McCartney
12-11-2009, 09:37 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/10/02/jennings.student/

A former student of an Obama Administration official is coming to his defense, as critics seek to use a 20-year-old incident to call for the official's resignation.

Kevin Jennings, who heads the Department of Education's Office of Safe and Drug Free Schools, is under fire for counseling advice he gave a teenage gay student more than two decades ago.

Conservative groups charge that Jennings, who is openly gay, condoned statutory rape and child molestation. That's in reference to an incident in 1988 when Jennings, who was a teacher at the time, did not tell authorities that a 16-year-old student revealed to Jennings that he'd had sex with an older man.

Now that former student is speaking out for the first time and telling CNN he did not have sex with that man at all. He did not elaborate on what he told Jennings at the time. Jennings could not be reached for comment late Friday.

In a statement obtained by CNN, the former student, who wanted to be called Brewster, wrote: "Since I was of legal consent at the time, the 15-minute conversation I had with Mr. Jennings 21 years ago is of nobody's concern but his and mine. However, since the Republican noise machine is so concerned about my 'well-being' and that of America's students, they'll be relieved to know that I was not 'inducted' into homosexuality, assaulted, raped, or sold into sexual slavery."

The former student recounted what happened at the time and maintained there was no sexual contact.

"In 1988, I had taken a bus home for the weekend, and on the return trip met someone who was also gay. The next day, I had a conversation with Mr. Jennings about it. I had no sexual contact with anybody at the time, though I was entirely legally free to do so. I was a 16-year-old going through something most of us have experienced: adolescence."
Don't Miss

* Commentary: States should decide on gay marriage

"Brewster" also lashed out at the critics who have used the incident to attack Jennings.

"I find it regrettable that the people who have the compassion and integrity to protect our nation's students are themselves in need of protection from homophobic smear attacks. Were it not for Mr. Jennings' courage and concern for my well-being at that time in my life, I doubt I'd be the proud gay man that I am today."

Critics contend that Brewster was 15 at the time of the incident. But CNN has obtained a copy of Brewster's driver's license which verifies he was 16 at the time. The legal age of consent for sexual activities in Massachusetts is 16.

Jennings, who has published several books, has written and spoken about the incident. In one book he writes that when he was a 24-year-old teacher, a gay student confided that he'd had sex with an older man. Jennings didn't report the incident to authorities. Instead he writes, "I listened, sympathized, and offered advice." He has subsequently said he told the student "I hope you used a condom."

Jennings has admitted he could have done a better job dealing with the incident. Education Secretary Arne Duncan and the White House are both standing behind Jennings.

But conservatives have been emboldened since their attacks on environmental advisor Van Jones and National Endowment for the Arts spokesman Yosi Sargent forced their resignations, and the knives are drawn for Jennings.

Led by conservative commentators, Jones was attacked for once calling Republicans "assholes" and signing a "9/11 Truth" petition that suggested the Bush administration knew about the September 11 terror attacks in advance. Jones was also a co-founder of a group that has led a drive to convince advertisers to abandon Fox News' Glenn Beck after Beck said on the air that President Obama was a "racist" with "a deep hatred of white people."

Sargent came under fire for his participation in a conference call during which the NEA encouraged artists to participate in a project, led by first lady Michelle Obama, about national service. Conservatives, again led by Beck, accused the agency of attempting to create Nazi-style propaganda. Sargent stepped down from his position as director of communications, but the NEA said he remained with the agency in another capacity.

In a statement released earlier this week by the Department of Education, Jennings said, "Twenty-one years later, I can see how I should have handled the situation differently. I should have asked for more information and consulted medical or legal authorities. Teachers back then had little training and guidance about this kind of thing. All teachers should have a basic level of preparedness."

Despite the revelation that "Brewster" was of age at the time, Tony Perkins, head of the conservative organization Family Research Council, called for Jennings' resignation and said, "You do not need special training to know child molestation is wrong."

But Jennings has some determined supporters. Gerald Tirozzi, head of the National Association of Secondary School Principles, recommended Jennings for the job.

"I've been working with Kevin for over seven or eight years now and his agenda is not only about gay kids," he said. "It's been all kids."

Tirozzi said that Jennings' expertise in bullying has earned him recognition from school principals in conservative as well as progressive districts

ChumpDumper
12-11-2009, 11:43 PM
So how many times has Yoni lied in this thread?

I count at least four.

I don't want him anywhere near kids.

Winehole23
12-12-2009, 03:09 AM
If he'd not try to save his lie every time, he'd lie a lot less. It's like the Mormons say.

If you tell a lie, you have to cover it with another lie.