PDA

View Full Version : Tiger, Barack, and the Law of Transitivity

Yonivore
12-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Tiger, Barack, and the Law of Transitivity (http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/12/tiger_barrack_and_the_law_of_t.html)

As a rule, the revelation that a married athlete (or actor, or rock star, or politician) has conducted extramarital affairs with bevy of "party girls" may titillate, but rarely has the power to shock. In those realms, these things happen. Entitled men. Willing women. Deceived wives. What's new?

So what is it about Tiger Woods that makes his cheating so different from the usual that ten days on, the nation is still discussing revelations of conquests, trysts, payoffs, and physical injuries inflicted by a golf club?

Sure, there's normal prurience at work. But mostly, we are interested because Tiger Woods, who may legitimately be the best golfer ever, had been turned into an all-purpose icon: a man of personal rectitude, a lovely smile, apparent openness; a family man, with a lovely wife and two adorable babies. And of course, he was our first living embodiment of the collective hope for racial reconciliation. Who knew that the early reports of his betrayed wife Elin swinging at him with a golf club constituted literal icon-smashing?

We are staring because we've been had. Betrayed. We see now that the image was all a fraud. The talent was real. But the things that made the public like Tiger personally -- the low-key demeanor, manners, and sweet smile of countless sports-page photos, magazine covers, political analogies, and most important, product endorsements, was an act. That would be betrayal enough. But it wasn't just Woods' act. The larger lesson here is about how much artifice -- sustained, deliberate deception -- goes into the construction of a public persona when there is profit to be made or power to be had.
I think you know where this is headed so, I'll let you follow the link to read the rest if you want.

Interesting take.

ChumpDumper
12-09-2009, 12:26 AM
They're both black, so you hate them both.

mookie2001
12-09-2009, 12:28 AM
;theyre sneaky

boutons_deux
12-09-2009, 06:38 AM
The only people feeling betrayed are those naives who believe anybody's a saint or a superman or better than anybody else.

EmptyMan
12-09-2009, 08:52 AM
DRob is a saint and a superman.

clambake
12-09-2009, 10:13 AM
yoni just can't get past the gas station. thats a lot of fear to walk around with.

101A
12-09-2009, 10:50 AM
DRob is a saint and a superman.

Staubach/Robinson or Robinson/Staubach '12.

Texas HOF ticket.

Telling you; pure gold.

'Could give N. Ryan a cabinet position - just saying.

Yonivore
12-09-2009, 07:36 PM
The only people feeling betrayed are those naives who believe anybody's a saint or a superman or better than anybody else.
So, pretty much the entire fan base of Tiger Woods and political base of Barack Obama.

Have you read Daily Kos lately? They're throwing a hissy fit over there.

jacobdrj
12-09-2009, 07:57 PM
I really care very little about these people's personal lives. Even with the Kobe stuff, my respect for him declined, but aside from criminal activity (which highlights perceived/real social injustice), I would rather not heard of it, and don't understand why it prompted such huge ratings. I flip the channel when celebrity lives are discussed. I have no interest in it. Even the criminal stuff, if they are convicted, and pay their so called debt, I couldn't care less, and hope the player and media moves on, because I sure will.

Yonivore
12-09-2009, 08:23 PM
I really care very little about these people's personal lives. Even with the Kobe stuff, my respect for him declined, but aside from criminal activity (which highlights perceived/real social injustice), I would rather not heard of it, and don't understand why it prompted such huge ratings. I flip the channel when celebrity lives are discussed. I have no interest in it. Even the criminal stuff, if they are convicted, and pay their so called debt, I couldn't care less, and hope the player and media moves on, because I sure will.
The whole gist of the article is how a persona can be constructed and marketed to a gullible public. I could care less if Tiger Woods disappears from the face of the planet or goes on to win another 5 Masters.

The author really wanted you to realize there are some striking parallels between how Tiger and Barack have been "sold." That's all.

Oh, Gee!!
12-10-2009, 10:15 AM
a more striking parallel exists between tiger and gov. sanford, imo. both are creepy

boutons_deux
12-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Yoni's thinks selling of Magic Negro is noteworthy, but thinks the Repugs selling their Iraq-war-for-oil" was fully justified then, and now.