PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Ginobili's playing time returns

duncan228
12-08-2009, 11:57 PM
Ginobili's playing time returns (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Ginobilis_playing_time_returns.html)
Mike Monroe

Since playing only three seconds in the fourth quarter of a Dec. 3 game against the Boston Celtics — just 18 minutes, 18 seconds for the game — Spurs guard Manu Ginobili has returned to a more typical portion of playing time.

After declaring that the left groin strain that cost him five games no longer is holding him back, Ginobili played 26:06 in a Saturday loss to the Denver Nuggets and 24:08 in Monday's loss to the Jazz in Salt Lake City.

“(Denver) was really the first game I gave him all his minutes, basically, so he could get his rhythm,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “I was careful before that. Starting with the Denver game, I thought we'd just play him and see if his body could handle it.

“Now I think it's just a matter of time before he gets his rhythm and confidence. Even good players need their confidence, and that's what he's trying to get now.”

In the four games Ginobili has played since returning to the lineup on Nov. 29 against Philadelphia, he has made only 12 of 35 shots and committed 10 turnovers.

Popovich believes the indecision that seems to have robbed Ginobili of the spontaneity that has characterized his game will disappear incrementally.

“Sometimes there's going to be some hesitation,” he said. “Sometimes he's going to force the issue because he wants to get his game back. It's very natural.

“The minutes will allow him to find some sort of balance so he can play really well and benefit our team.”

Finley's timetable: A Spurs spokesperson on Tuesday said the Grade 2 left ankle sprain Michael Finley suffered Saturday will keep the veteran forward out of action for 2-4 weeks.

Free-throw woes: After making only 7 of 17 free throws in last week's loss to the Celtics, the Spurs' free-throw percentage for the season is at 74.5 heading into tonight's game against the Kings. That is a lower rate of foul-line success than in the previous three seasons. The Spurs shot 76.1 percent from the line last season; 76.1 in 2007-08 and 75.1 in 2006-07.

Of the players who have shot at least 50 free throws, Richard Jefferson has had the most difficulty.

A 78 percent career free-thrower, he has missed his last eight foul shots over three games. He is at 68.3 percent for the season (56 for 82).

The good news on the foul-line front: Tim Duncan, with a 68.5 career percentage, is at 77.1 percent (64 for 83).

The Truth #6
12-09-2009, 12:08 AM
With Bogans and Mason playing below their level, and Finley out for a few weeks, will Pop play Hairston? If not now, then I don't see a chance for a while.

HarlemHeat37
12-09-2009, 12:18 AM
Hairston's main flaw is that he's 22 years old..if he was 30, he would be getting 30+ minutes a night on this team..

It's really annoying to have to watch guys like Wes Matthews and Ronnie Brewer kill us with their athleticism..even Jerry Sloan plays young guys now, it's fucked up..

itzsoweezee
12-09-2009, 12:18 AM
manu just needs time. the trade talk needs to chill.

ffadicted
12-09-2009, 02:03 AM
Wow, 68% for Jefferson. I know it was funny when we were saying it's just cuz he's a spur now, but that's fucking pathetic.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-09-2009, 02:08 AM
Hairston's main flaw is that he's 22 years old..if he was 30, he would be getting 30+ minutes a night on this team..

It's really annoying to have to watch guys like Wes Matthews and Ronnie Brewer kill us with their athleticism..even Jerry Sloan plays young guys now, it's fucked up..

Totally. Free Hairston!

I give him until January 1 to show us that he's still capable of beating someone off the dribble and hitting a 3. With the weak schedule, if he's not showing something by then, he's definitely lost a step and it's time to explore trading him, sad as that is to say. :

loveforthegame
12-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Nice to finally see a timetable for Finley's return. Hopefully he's more on the 2 week side instead of a month long sit.

We should start a Haiston watch thread to see just how many minutes he gets while Finley is out.

bobby4germany
12-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Free Hairston! :p:

z0sa
12-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Great. Now Manu has til February 16th-ish (trade deadline) to prove his health issues are behind him and he hasn't lost a step.

dbestpro
12-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Poor free throw shooting shows us that the problem for the Spurs remains between the ears and their lack of focus. This is Pops job to fix. Whether, he will look in the mirror to find the solution is another issue.

ducks
12-09-2009, 03:11 PM

why
he refused to sign an extension this summer with spurs
he has a expired contract
that is worth alot to alot of teams
he is one of the few trade assets spurs have to get better
the object of the spurs is to win titles not the best interest for manu or any player on the team

urunobili
12-09-2009, 03:15 PM
why

because they make you look retarded

he refused to sign an extension this summer with spurs

an extension was never offered to him... link?

he has a expired contract
that is worth alot to alot of teams

indeed... that's what this is all about...

he is one of the few trade assets spurs have to get better
the object of the spurs is to win titles not the best interest for manu or any player on the team

who is stating the opposite? you rather than Manu not named D-Wade Kome etc gives the Spurs a better chance to win the title... John Salmons? :rollin

Phenomanul
12-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Totally. Free Hairston!

I give him until January 1 to show us that he's still capable of beating someone off the dribble and hitting a 3. With the weak schedule, if he's not showing something by then, he's definitely lost a step and it's time to explore trading him, sad as that is to say. :

He did more than that just a month ago... before the ham-string injury...

When he dropped 36 on Toronto without Duncan or Parker...

Some people here are acting like he's washed up. That said, hopefully Ginobili is in full swing by the date you specified (as long as he stays healthy for the playoffs).

HarlemHeat37
12-09-2009, 04:41 PM
To be fair, the Raptors were statistically the worst defense in NBA history at that time..

That was also before Manu got injured AGAIN..

It's tough for the guy to stay in a rhythm when he keeps getting hurt..he gets hurt due to his previous injury history and his playing style..he can't play effectively without playing the style that he has played his entire career..

so it's just a cycle at this point..it's tough for him and for the team..

crc21209
12-09-2009, 05:25 PM
I really dont understand what Pop sees wrong with Hairston...the guy plays his ass off on D, he's aggressive at times on Offense and attacks the hoop...I just dont get it..

Phenomanul
12-09-2009, 05:51 PM
To be fair, the Raptors were statistically the worst defense in NBA history at that time..

That was also before Manu got injured AGAIN..

It's tough for the guy to stay in a rhythm when he keeps getting hurt..he gets hurt due to his previous injury history and his playing style..he can't play effectively without playing the style that he has played his entire career..

so it's just a cycle at this point..it's tough for him and for the team..

They are two different premises....

"Manu no longer has it..."

"Manu still has it but continues to run through the injury bug..."

Both scenarios obviously are a detriment to the Spurs' Championship hopes. The first premise however, is a slap in the face to Ginobili's game, or his ability to favorably impact games.

HarlemHeat37
12-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Those 2 statements go together though..

How do we know if Manu has lost it, or if his injuries are affecting him?..

JustinJDW
12-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Alright Ginobili. No more injuries and no more "no confidence" bull shit. It's time to contribute and prove to us that you are past all that and why you deserve another contract.

Phenomanul
12-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Those 2 statements go together though..

How do we know if Manu has lost it, or if his injuries are affecting him?..

Because he looked pretty damn dominant just 4 weeks ago (when healthy).... Your point that Toronto's defense sucks doesn't eliminate the fact that Ginobili can still light it up... check the boxscore... Ginobili didn't even play too many minutes...

I'm challenging the notion that "he's lost it".... that's simply not the case. Maybe another dosage of Beno Udrih and Nocioni will get him rolling again...

Phenomanul
12-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Having said that, I'm as frustrated as the next Spurs fan, with Ginobili's injury woes.