PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs' Jefferson stuck in neutral

duncan228
12-09-2009, 12:40 AM
Spurs' Jefferson stuck in neutral (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Spurs_Jefferson_stuck_in_neutral.html)
Jeff McDonald

When the season's first substantial cold front blew through last week, one recent migrant to San Antonio couldn't help but chuckle at the local hysteria surrounding the Snowstorm That Never Was.

Richard Jefferson had all but put away his hardiest of winter clothes when he was traded to the Spurs in June. His full collection of heavy coats, which had served him well through frigid Decembers in Milwaukee and New Jersey, wouldn't be needed here.

“As a California guy, I like that,” Jefferson said.

If only Jefferson's game had transitioned as quickly and seamlessly to South Texas as his wardrobe.

Eighteen games into his first season in San Antonio, Jefferson — a scoring star whose offseason arrival heralded the Spurs' seriousness about challenging the Lakers in the West — is still struggling to find his niche in a new town.

He is averaging 12.8 points per game, little more than Michael Finley provided the Spurs at small forward last season. In his past five games, Jefferson has reached 10 points just once.

“It's not about what my numbers should be,” said Jefferson, who owns a career scoring average of 17.6 points. “I've been on teams where I've averaged 20 points and not made the playoffs. For me to take a step back and find my groove on a team that's getting wins, I'd much rather have that.”

Right now, Jefferson is getting the worst of both worlds. The Spurs have lost three in a row, spiraling to 9-9 in advance of tonight's game against Sacramento.

And Jefferson is still in search of his elusive groove.

He arrived, via trade with Milwaukee, accompanied by a package of skills the Spurs have seldom enjoyed in a small forward — deadly on the fast break, able to isolate bigger defenders on the wing and, at 6-foot-7, lethal posting up smaller forwards.

Just as Jefferson is struggling to find his space with the Spurs, the Spurs are struggling with how best to use Jefferson. Gregg Popovich has encouraged his team to fast break more, in part because it might help Jefferson find a comfort zone.

“If we can get him in transition more often, I think it would help loosen him up and take advantage of his capabilities,” Popovich said.

Jefferson endured a similar feeling-out period last season with the Bucks, albeit with one key difference. He arrived in Milwaukee just months after new coach Scott Skiles did.

“In Milwaukee, all of us were going through the same learning curve,” Jefferson said. “Here, half the guys are new and half aren't, so there's a different timing.”

In Milwaukee, Jefferson's directive was simple: Fire at will. In San Antonio, he is still trying to navigate the tightrope between finding his own shots and deferring to the collection of All-Stars around him.

He is averaging 10.4 attempts per game this season, the fewest since he was a rookie with the Nets.

It is no coincidence his two best games as a Spur — 29 and 24 points in November wins over Dallas and Toronto, respectively — came with Tony Parker and Tim Duncan sidelined. Jefferson's only other 20-point game came Oct. 31, when he dumped 21 on the Kings.

“It's not that easy to integrate a guy who is that talented,” said guard Roger Mason Jr., who at this time last season was in Jefferson's shoes. “It changes the dynamic of the team.”

The transition process, Mason admits, has “taken a little bit more time than we've wanted.”

“It would be OK if he was still adjusting and we were winning,” Mason said. “That's what you hope with a team as talented as ours. It's tougher when you're losing and still trying to make that adjustment.”

Jefferson agrees.

“It's going to be a continual adjustment,” Jefferson said. “As the season goes along, I really believe I'll get better, and the team will get better.”

The Truth #6
12-09-2009, 12:50 AM
Interesting that Pop wants to run more. First, I don't see him committing to that. When the RJ trade went down and the Spurs got "more athletic" it seemed obvious that the tempo would pick up a little. Points are up this year, but I don't see any conscious effort to run. If anything, they're trying to slow the tempo and pace to minimize turnovers. And, we have no one to direct the break right now, except Manu and his passing has been bad lately.

ElNono
12-09-2009, 01:02 AM
Tony is simply faster than RJ. And he's not going to slow down so Richard can run with him... If you look at the fast breaks this season, they've been mostly a one man show from Tony (which is great BTW, since I'll take all the easy points we can get)...
I think he might have a better chance to run with the second unit...

timvp
12-09-2009, 01:07 AM
The thing with RJ is that I wouldn't mind if his lack of scoring if he did work in other areas. If he was pulling down boards, playing lockdown defense or creating for others, I'd be fine. But the combination of no scoring, no rebounding, no creating and a lack of defense that has required Bogans to be inserted into the starting lineup has me miffed.

I think he can turn it around but I'd at least like to see a sense of urgency.

EJFischer
12-09-2009, 01:15 AM
The advanced stats made me opine before the season began (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3596831#post3596831) that Jefferson wasn't going to be very effective. I hoped that this season would be a victory of system over statistics. So far it hasn't been.

I wonder if Whott's opinion has changed since our extended discussion of RJ's strengths/weaknesses back then.

Rapper
12-09-2009, 01:21 AM
As most of us know, RJ is not a good defender but all we need and expect to him is that we hope he can play aggressively and score 20 points a game ,unfortunately he has not contributed what we need on offense,anyway, i strongly believe that he is a 20+5+5 player.However, his performances were not satisfied

Danny.Zhu
12-09-2009, 01:26 AM
For me to take a step back and find my groove on a team that's getting wins, I'd much rather have that.

Unfortunately...

5in10
12-09-2009, 01:30 AM
Tony is simply faster than RJ. And he's not going to slow down so Richard can run with him... If you look at the fast breaks this season, they've been mostly a one man show from Tony (which is great BTW, since I'll take all the easy points we can get)...
I think he might have a better chance to run with the second unit...

Jefferson and one other person are usually there, tony just doesn't know how to pass it off on the fast break and when he does its usually not to Jefferson.

Chieflion
12-09-2009, 01:32 AM
Jefferson and one other person are usually there, tony just doesn't know how to pass it off on the fast break and when he does its usually not to Jefferson.
A loud clank would be heard because the other guy can't convert, I can't even laugh or cry at that.

ffadicted
12-09-2009, 01:40 AM
I do'nt know about his body language during the interview, but does anyone else get the feeling from those quotes that RJ just doesn't really care that he/the team is struggling right now? Sort of like he convinced himself it's ok?

gospursgojas
12-09-2009, 01:42 AM
He is averaging 12.8 points per game, little more than Michael Finley provided the Spurs at small forward last season.

This is eye opening considering how much people here hated Fin

Chieflion
12-09-2009, 01:47 AM
This is eye opening considering how much people here hated Fin
It also shows how much the Spurs did not try to integrate Jefferson into the offense as a legitimate option and instead made him a role player.

gospursgojas
12-09-2009, 01:47 AM
For me to take a step back and find my groove on a team that's getting wins, I'd much rather have that"

And this was quite disheartening :(

gospursgojas
12-09-2009, 01:49 AM
It also shows how much the Spurs did not try to integrate Jefferson into the offense as a legitimate option and instead made him a role player.

Please explain how the spurs did that. See the next quote.

He took a "step back" on his own

timvp
12-09-2009, 01:53 AM
I'm not playing the blame game with RJ anymore. RJ and RJ alone is who is at fault for his current level of play. TP, Pop nor Duncan made him go 0-for-5 at the line, not rebound and not play D.

duhoh
12-09-2009, 01:55 AM
can you guys see it?

when dick figures is out, oh boy. . .

gospursgojas
12-09-2009, 02:02 AM
I'm not playing the blame game with RJ anymore. RJ and RJ alone is who is at fault for his current level of play. TP, Pop nor Duncan made him go 0-for-5 at the line, not rebound and not play D.

:tu

Maybe jeffs intergration to this team has more to do with getting on the same level as them mentaly.

Stop taking the backseat role. If you want to contribute. Go out there and make a difference.

See matt bonner who has 50% the talent you do, yet plays like he wants to win and contribute to winning game in and out

ezau
12-09-2009, 02:06 AM
Jefferson I believe can still turn it on. Fact is, he's not used to being the 3rd or 4th option in the team that's why he's finding it hard to make decisions on the court. I believe he's just thinking too much out there. I agree that the Spurs can run more. With Ginobili, Parker, and Jefferson all playing, I can't understand why we're not running more often.

Chieflion
12-09-2009, 02:13 AM
Please explain how the spurs did that. See the next quote.

He took a "step back" on his own
That was not what he meant. Don't even try to twist his words.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-09-2009, 02:21 AM
What do y'all think about starting Manu and playing RJ as the 6th man? He'd have the ball in his hands more and more opportunities to score. I'd like to see him play a bit like Corey Maggette off the bench - come in and just continually bull your way to the hole, with Bonner on the other wing and MoMoney in the corner for the pitchout.

As for the lack of hustle he's showing, timvp is spot on although I have one thing to add - sometimes when your confidence is down, as his clearly is, no matter how hard you try on the court nothing seems to go right... the boards go over your head, you get called for stuff that isn't there, etc. He looks to be in that kind of slump to me. Get him scoring again and the rest may come with it.

SCdac
12-09-2009, 02:21 AM

Missing from the foul line is most abnormal of everything actually, considering he's shot more than 80+ FT% before. I really hope he improves on that end. His rebounding is basically about the same as it was as the last two seasons (in less minutes), I'm not sure how much you're expecting on that end (the only spurs who've grabbed more boards this season are Duncan/Blair/McDyess/Bonner). He's grabbing at least 2 boards than we'd be getting from Finley. His man-man defense hasn't been that bad, but his help defense could use serious improvement. He's never going to be a shutdown defender in my opinion. He's not a player coming into his own in the league as a defender, like a Bowen or a Battier. He's strong and heavy, but he's not the longest or peskiest defender. I've seen flashes of good D though, and just hope he sticks with it. You look at that Denver game, and alot of the times Jefferson was right on Melo, dude is just an amazing jumpshooter and player. Last game, Jefferson had a pretty clutch block on Mehmet Okur with a minute and half in the fourth quarter that lead to a fast break and a wide open three for Manu on the other end. That was pure effort. When Deron Williams hit that last pull up jumper for Utah, and broke away from Hill, Jefferson was right there to block his path and lunge for the block, to no avail D-Will's execution was near perfect. Point being, I'm really not getting the idea that Jefferson is not trying out there, or doesn't care. He's actually playing hard, it's just not entirely clicking yet as him being more than a role player. He needs more touches in post ups and in the beginning of plays, versus being just a finisher or spot up shooter.

ezau
12-09-2009, 02:41 AM
What do y'all think about starting Manu and playing RJ as the 6th man? He'd have the ball in his hands more and more opportunities to score. I'd like to see him play a bit like Corey Maggette off the bench - come in and just continually bull your way to the hole, with Bonner on the other wing and MoMoney in the corner for the pitchout.

As for the lack of hustle he's showing, timvp is spot on although I have one thing to add - sometimes when your confidence is down, as his clearly is, no matter how hard you try on the court nothing seems to go right... the boards go over your head, you get called for stuff that isn't there, etc. He looks to be in that kind of slump to me. Get him scoring again and the rest may come with it.

i agree with this. Coming off the bench makes him the team's first option. That way, he doesn't have to think about deferring too much

SenorSpur
12-09-2009, 04:14 AM
Pop's idea of running more is one thing, but getting TP to open his eyes, survey the wings and PASS THE BALL is totally another. He's so used to being a one-man break, that most times, he doesn't even bother to look around for anyone else. The most frustrating part is there are times that players are open - especially when he elects to barrel ahead into 2 or more defenders.

z0sa
12-09-2009, 04:35 AM
If we can continue enjoying this stretch of health, it'd be very telling.

MannyIsGod
12-09-2009, 05:52 AM
I wonder if dude is just happy with his huge payday. Would be a fucking shame, but really the lack or urgency is extremely telling.

sabar
12-09-2009, 06:02 AM
I think he'd be better on the bench, but he would have to accept his role. He doesn't seem that eager to fit in, which is a bad sign for that proposition.

I hope I'm wrong on how I'm reading him. I mean, he's shown flashes of intensity during a couple games on dunks, but is he really working on his game outside? Is he trying to be a part of the team, or just settling for whatever comes his way?

ElNono
12-09-2009, 07:42 AM
His defensive play hasn't been all bad. I thought he defended well against Melo and Pierce... It's just uneven, some games it looks like he's not even trying...

spurs50_
12-09-2009, 07:48 AM
off topic....did we really sign dice for three yrs?.....Not gonna make a Splitter thread, but are we gonna try to bring him over next summer?

ancestron
12-09-2009, 08:03 AM
Before the season when everyone was sucking off Richard Jefferson and how great he would make the Spurs I just kept thinking, "Really? Are we talking about the same Richard Jefferson?" I hope he comes around, but I never was a big fan of the acquisition.

SpurNation
12-09-2009, 08:32 AM
It's evident that RJ plays best without Duncan and Parker. A formula that is not going to go away since Parker and Duncan are first and second option in the offense. His percentages as a 3 point shooter have been a respectable .35% throughout his career but I would never consider him a 3pt. threat in the case of game winning shots.

His defense has been on the decline since his final days in NJ so thinking he might improve in that area while a Spur might have been more of a wish than actual ability. Skiles in Milwaukee also is known as a defensive minded coach and RJ didn't exactly produce game changing defense while there so I don't know why it would be thought he would do it here.

RJ was a career 78% FT shooter before coming to the Spurs. At the moment he is shooting 68%.

Rebounding, in the past 3 years, he's never averaged above 4.6 per game. And his single highest average was 7.6 in a single season. I'm not sure it should be expected that he provides more than that but rather if he can exceed his past 3 year average would be a bonus.

Right now...because of his two 20pt+ games he's had when Duncan and Parker were not playing, he's at a +12.06 EFF rating.

It doesn't look promising for him to be any more effective than what he provides now when playing as a starter. To expect more from him in that role would be setting expectations to high IMO.

Would it be nice if he could produce more..absolutely. But in the other areas of his game other than scoring...he's pretty much doing what he's been doing the past 4 years.

Whether his salary to produce these types of numbers is legitiment...that's a whole different debate. I would expect the FO expects more for the salary they're paying. But expecting and reality don't always coincide.

Bottomline...in the past 4 years RJ hasn't produced more than what he's been doing now as a Spur. And to make matters worse...his scoring isn't going to be as high on a team that has 2 to 3 options before him.

The expectations of him becoming a better rebounder and defender will have to come to fruition in order to justify trading for him. But the reallity of the past 4 years has proven he's not that type of player.

Was this fool's gold?

Chieflion
12-09-2009, 08:35 AM
It's evident that RJ plays best without Duncan and Parker. A formula that is not going to go away since Parker and Duncan are first and second option in the offense. His percentages as a 3 point shooter have been a respectable .35% throughout his career but I would never consider him a 3pt. threat in the case of game winning shots.

His defense has been on the decline since his final days in NJ so thinking he might improve in that area while a Spur might have been more of a wish than actual ability. Skiles in Milwaukee also is known as a defensive minded coach and RJ didn't exactly produce game changing defense while there so I don't know why it would be thought he would do it here.

RJ was a career 78% FT shooter before coming to the Spurs. At the moment he is shooting 68%.

Rebounding, in the past 3 years, he's never averaged above 4.6 per game. And his single highest average was 7.6 in a single season. I'm not sure it should be expected that he provides more than that but rather if he can exceed his past 3 year average would be a bonus.

Right now...because of his two 20pt+ games he's had when Duncan and Parker were not playing, he's at a +12.06 EFF rating.

It doesn't look promising for him to be any more effective than what he provides now when playing as a starter. To expect more from him in that role would be setting expectations to high IMO.

Would it be nice if he could produce more..absolutely. But in the other areas of his game other than scoring...he's pretty much doing what he's been doing the past 4 years.

Whether his salary to produce these types of numbers is legitiment...that's a whole different debate. I would expect the FO expects more for the salary they're paying. But expecting and reality don't always coincide.

Bottomline...in the past 4 years RJ hasn't produced more than what he's been doing now as a Spur. And to make matters worse...his scoring isn't going to be as high on a team that has 2 to 3 options before him.

The expectations of him becoming a better rebounder and defender will have to come to fruition in order to justify trading for him. But the reallity of the past 4 years has proven he's not that type of player.

Was this fool's gold?
To answer your question, Jefferson was a good player who got to play some 1st option in Milwaukee and was made to look good by an all time great playmaker in Jason Kidd. Don't get me wrong, he is still a good scorer and a decent enough defender, as long as he gets the ball.

EricB
12-09-2009, 10:41 AM
If Jefferson doesn't show something in the next couple games pop should have a come to jesus moment with him.

gospursgojas
12-09-2009, 12:25 PM
I wonder if dude is just happy with his huge payday. Would be a fucking shame, but really the lack or urgency is extremely telling.

I remember reading or hearing some time back him saying something like "I still get paid the same"...when asked about getting traded. Or maybe it was like "the contract comes with me". Either way it was kinda disturbing then to hear. I remember thinking ...when would we ever hear this from another spur.

I bet if he said that now after he's recent play fans would be even more pissed

dbestpro
12-09-2009, 12:34 PM
This team's success is not based on RJs stats but TPs. The last game he scored 22 pts and had 5 assists. Give me 16-18 points and 8-10 assists and we will be the "team" we need to be.

murpjf88
12-09-2009, 12:59 PM
This team's success is not based on RJs stats but TPs. The last game he scored 22 pts and had 5 assists. Give me 16-18 points and 8-10 assists and we will be the "team" we need to be.

I'm not so sure that's the case anymore. When TP does pass the ball, the shooter rarely hits the shot. When the games on the line, I'm not confident in any spur who takes the shot. You put the least amount of pressure on a spurs shooter, he misses badly.

dbestpro
12-09-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm not so sure that's the case anymore. When TP does pass the ball, the shooter rarely hits the shot. When the games on the line, I'm not confident in any spur who takes the shot. You put the least amount of pressure on a spurs shooter, he misses badly.

Getting assists is not just about passing the ball. Tony, has on occasion drove to the basket and passed back out, but you will hardly ever see him hit the cutter as he dribbles and dribbles and dribbles looking for a lane.

Bender
12-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Pop's idea of running more is one thing, but getting TP to open his eyes, survey the wings and PASS THE BALL is totally another. He's so used to being a one-man break, that most times, he doesn't even bother to look around for anyone else. The most frustrating part is there are times that players are open - especially when he elects to barrel ahead into 2 or more defenders.
I hate when tony does that... it's like he's a RB in the NFL trying to break thru the defensive line...

bobby4germany
12-09-2009, 01:59 PM
RJ is not playing like he has something to prove, he is being very passive and he sometimes seems like he lacks the killer instinct that we desperately need. What will get him motivated? I am not sure anything can, he has already hit his payday! If he plays any better will he receive more? NO! Then there is Hairston, a guy that is hungry and wants to establish himself as a legit NBA player. I would really like to see what he could do with 25-30 minutes of playing time, even if only for a few games while Finley is out.

With just a 9-9 start where do the spurs go from here? Do we continue down the same path and just wait for them to “gel” or do we make a few minor changes to the rotation and see what we may or may not have in Hairston?

portnoy1
12-09-2009, 02:15 PM
I hate when tony does that... it's like he's a RB in the NFL trying to break thru the defensive line...
Tony has always done that, even in the Duncan/Robinson era. Tonys scoring/assist are based solely on his penetration. You give him the ball and spread the floor with shooters, then TP can get you 25pts and 10ast every night. Still doesnt mean he is a good PG. Tim Duncan FInds shooters/cutters and can throw out to a runner for a simple fast break assist. TP cant see cutters/runners and the only mismatch he sees is for himself. If we had gotten Shane Battier instead of RJ then I'm pretty sure TPs numbers would be better and the Spurs might be a few (not alot) games above .500. Why? Battier is a spot up shooter only and can drive when nessecary. RJ a slasher and junk, with a decent spot-up 2or3.

DaBears
12-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Jefferson I believe can still turn it on. Fact is, he's not used to being the 3rd or 4th option in the team that's why he's finding it hard to make decisions on the court. I believe he's just thinking too much out there. I agree that the Spurs can run more. With Ginobili, Parker, and Jefferson all playing, I can't understand why we're not running more often.

It all starts with and ends with Tony Parker the guy just cannot play defense...You normally can get into fast breaks cause your point guard stealing or deflects the ball, not tiisue soft Parker... His nick name should be Charmin.. Cause the guy plays soft.... Thats right Parker im calling you out start playing some dam "D" and pass the ball..

portnoy1
12-09-2009, 02:27 PM
It all starts with and ends with Tony Parker the guy just cannot play defense...You normally can get into fast breaks cause your point guard stealing or deflects the ball, not tiisue soft Parker... His nick name should be Charmin.. Cause the guy plays soft.... Thats right Parker im calling you out start playing some dam "D" and pass the ball..
Calderon, cant play D either, he can pass and shoot better than Parker. He throws lobs and knows how to work with a bigman.

JustinJDW
12-09-2009, 05:55 PM
The problem is simple. Richard Jefferson isn't very effective on the court with Timmy and Tony. Timmy and Tony have a great 2 man game that scores points and gets open looks. Ginobili is much better at playing with them then RJ is.

Ginobili should start and RJ should come off the Bench. That's my opinion. Unless RJ can make his jumpers and free throws and insert himself nicely into the Spurs Offense.

SamoanTD
12-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Parker at least does something out there jefferson is playing like ah deer caught in the head lights. Jefferson is also killing us with his lazy ass passes and no more cutting to the basket WTF? Somebody done snatched his manhood or something :lol

SamoanTD
12-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Tony has always done that, even in the Duncan/Robinson era. Tonys scoring/assist are based solely on his penetration. You give him the ball and spread the floor with shooters, then TP can get you 25pts and 10ast every night. Still doesnt mean he is a good PG. Tim Duncan FInds shooters/cutters and can throw out to a runner for a simple fast break assist. TP cant see cutters/runners and the only mismatch he sees is for himself. If we had gotten Shane Battier instead of RJ then I'm pretty sure TPs numbers would be better and the Spurs might be a few (not alot) games above .500. Why? Battier is a spot up shooter only and can drive when nessecary. RJ a slasher and junk, with a decent spot-up 2or3.
Battier also is bigger and plays a lil bit better defensively and he still hustles can't say the same for RJ right now.

crc21209
12-09-2009, 06:36 PM
The more and more I think about maybe RJ does need the ball to be successful...maybe he should be coming off the bench? Or at least be out there more without TD and TP...

SpurNation
12-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Our of neutral and in high gear last night.

Very incouraging to see. They got him the ball and most of his points came off of assists from others. Especially from Tony.

Makes one wonder if some talking from Pop had anything to do with what transpired in the SAC game. Looking forward to more of that.

silverblackfan
12-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Is it just me, or did the team start the game with a bunch of good back screens to get RJ and Tony working? I don't remember those plays in the last 3 games and am starting to wonder if Pop has been holding those plays until now. Use them against the non-play off teams to prevent other teams planning for it?
The lineup also seemed to be a bit more stable in the 1st quarter. Defense was awful in the 2nd qtr.
CIA Pop always makes me question what the plans are.

Chieflion
12-10-2009, 09:11 AM
I have been impressed with Jefferson this game. He went out there with a purpose. In the 4th quarter, we went away from his offense, and the Kings came storming back, it is no coincidence.

jb4g
12-10-2009, 09:36 AM
caught some post game qoutes from RJ, he said that he and Parker had worked on a few new plays in the last practice, one of those being the alley-oop play. It certainly showed, it seemed there was a concerted effort to get RJ off early in this game. I cant tell you how happy I am to see TP score under 20 and get the assists to 10+....more of that please fellas

raspsa
12-10-2009, 10:04 AM
caught some post game qoutes from RJ, he said that he and Parker had worked on a few new plays in the last practice, one of those being the alley-oop play. It certainly showed, it seemed there was a concerted effort to get RJ off early in this game. I cant tell you how happy I am to see TP score under 20 and get the assists to 10+....more of that please fellas

I wonder why it took them this long to collaborate?

portnoy1
12-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Now to praise TP. In the 1st quarter he had 6ast and if i can remember no pts. He wasnt just driving the lane trying to score and kicking out, he was looking ahead for RJ, he threw the first lob of the season to RJ and he looked for RJ in the post. He also look to pass to the guys who rolled in off pick n rolls, as opposed to coming off driving full speed to the cup. Best game of the season for Tony. After the first quarter he kinda went back to his old self but he made sure to get everyone some touches in that 1st quarter, which helped to keep everyone kinda in a groove for the game. If Parker simply looks for around he can have an easy night like this, almost every night. he also went back to the teardrop and came off some cuts and got feeds from manu for some easy buckets instead of going 1 on 5. Once again RJ played great, but Parker to me was th most consistent guy all night, and set the table for everyone DWill style.

TJastal
12-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Now to praise TP. In the 1st quarter he had 6ast and if i can remember no pts. He wasnt just driving the lane trying to score and kicking out, he was looking ahead for RJ, he threw the first lob of the season to RJ and he looked for RJ in the post. He also look to pass to the guys who rolled in off pick n rolls, as opposed to coming off driving full speed to the cup. Best game of the season for Tony. After the first quarter he kinda went back to his old self but he made sure to get everyone some touches in that 1st quarter, which helped to keep everyone kinda in a groove for the game. If Parker simply looks for around he can have an easy night like this, almost every night. he also went back to the teardrop and came off some cuts and got feeds from manu for some easy buckets instead of going 1 on 5. Once again RJ played great, but Parker to me was th most consistent guy all night, and set the table for everyone DWill style.

+1

It was almost as if a little light bulb has went off in Tony Parker's head. He's starting to realize he's at that point of his career that he's going to have to stop throwing his body around on constant reckless drives to the basket. The fact that they aren't producing the desired results like back when he was 22 years old is fueling that as well.

I think he's starting to realize that being a one man show is only going to carry the team so far and its going to end up with his body physically decimated as he gets older. Being more selective and mixing it up more so teams can't key in on his drives so much. Now they gotta worry about Tony Parker, the passer.

I think Manu is starting to go through the same thing too. Both of them can be outstanding passers but have been so good at getting their own offense for so long there was never a focus on passing. But now the situation is starting to demand that both of them take a step back and start getting others involved. The great thing is, they both have always shown the ability at times to be great passers, so the transitions should be easy.

Flux451
12-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Dick needs to keep driving into the hole and everyone will be happy.

dbestpro
12-10-2009, 01:44 PM
+1

it was almost as if a little light bulb has went off in tony parker's head. He's starting to realize he's at that point of his career that he's going to have to stop throwing his body around on constant reckless drives to the basket. The fact that they aren't producing the desired results like back when he was 22 years old is fueling that as well.

I think he's starting to realize that being a one man show is only going to carry the team so far and its going to end up with his body physically decimated as he gets older. Being more selective and mixing it up more so teams can't key in on his drives so much. Now they gotta worry about tony parker, the passer.

I think manu is starting to go through the same thing too. Both of them can be outstanding passers but have been so good at getting their own offense for so long there was never a focus on passing. But now the situation is starting to demand that both of them take a step back and start getting others involved. The great thing is, they both have always shown the ability at times to be great passers, so the transitions should be easy.

+2