PDA

View Full Version : Suns out to prove that 62-win season was no desert mirage

ducks
04-22-2005, 10:15 PM
PHOENIX (AP) -- The Phoenix Suns have heard all the reasons they won't win an NBA title. Too young, too small, no depth, no defense. And that tires-screaming-down-the-drag-strip style -- so refreshingly fun to watch -- just won't work on the mean streets of the playoffs.

It's as if those 62 victories were a mirage in the desert.

``Traditionally, there's some truth to those things,'' said Steve Nash, the driver of the Suns' scoring machine. ``Usually the team with the biggest, toughest guy in the middle wins. We're not built that way. We can't play that way because we don't have the personnel.''

ADVERTISEMENT
For Phoenix, its run, run, run, get the ball to their exceedingly athletic if undersized post man Amare Stoudemire, or let any of the skilled perimeter players rain in a 3-pointer.

``We had to play the way we're most successful, and 62 wins, I think, shows we're pretty successful with this style,'' Nash said. ``Now we just have to prove to people that we can do it in the playoffs, too.''

The Suns aren't even the consensus pick to make it out the West.

Hall of Famer Walt Frazier, like many others, is picking San Antonio.

``Because they can score, they can defend, they have perhaps the best player in the game in Tim Duncan, and they've been there before,'' Frazier said. ``You can never underestimate experience.''

Even ex-Sun Charles Barkley isn't giving Phoenix much of a chance.

The negative talk about their style is old news for a team that, even by its own estimation at the start of the season, would be doing well just to make the playoffs. When the Suns shot out to a 31-4 record, conventional wisdom was they would wear down, that they couldn't possibly keep up the pace.

``We've got to keep proving everybody wrong,'' forward Shawn Marion said. ``It's kind of crazy. If we keep proving ourselves and keep going out and winning games, sooner or later they're going to change their minds and realize they don't know what the hell they're talking about.''

The Suns go into their first-round series opener against Memphis on Sunday night with the most victories of any team in five years and homecourt advantage throughout the playoffs. Their 62 victories tied a franchise record, and their NBA-leading scoring average of 110.4 points is the highest since Orlando averaged 110.9 in 1994-95.

As for defense, the Suns allowed 103.3 points per game, the most in the NBA. But in opponent's field goal percentage, they ranked a respectable 13th.

Coach Mike D'Antoni acknowledges that defense will determine how far Phoenix goes.

``If we play defense and rebound and do a good job of getting stops and running out, then the style will work,'' he said. ``If we don't defend, it won't work, so it's mostly defense. We can defend, and we can get deflections.''

The Suns know they can play defense when they want to, but got into a habit of relaxing in games because they knew that eventually, their offense usually would overwhelm the opponent.

``We'll be all right,'' guard Joe Johnson said. ``When the playoffs start, our intensity will pick up. To be honest with you, I think we'll be one of the best defensive teams in the league.

Among the starters, only Steve Nash and Marion have experience. Among those in the rotation off the bench, only Jim Jackson has felt the pressure of the postseason.

``We'll see,'' Nash said. ``I think youth's only a concern if you listen to it. If our guys just play during the regular season, are confident, they'll overcome their inexperience.''

Stoudemire, the 22-year-old rising star who averaged 26 points -- fifth-best in the league -- in his third NBA season, is relishing his first opportunity in the playoff spotlight.

``The playoffs is where stars are born,'' he said.

D'Antoni said he tunes out the negativity, and tries to make sure his players aren't buying into it, either.

``I know the players probably hear more than I do, and surely the people around them hear more,'' he said. ``We have to keep reiterating to the players that it can be done and will be done. We have to re-brainwash them, because the media has brainwashed them one way, and we'll get them the other way.

``I think they think they can do it. We're in a pretty good mental state right now.''

ducks
04-22-2005, 10:23 PM
``We'll be all right,'' guard Joe Johnson said. ``When the playoffs start, our intensity will pick up. To be honest with you, I think we'll be one of the best defensive teams in the league.

Leetonidas
04-22-2005, 10:33 PM
To be honest with you, I think we'll be one of the best defensive teams in the league.

:lol