PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Durant the new George Gervin?

Cant_Be_Faded
12-09-2009, 12:50 AM
Interesting blog from Junior Miller comparing Durant thus far to Ice Man.

http://juniormiller1310.blogspot.com/2009/12/who-is-kevin-durant.html

Who Is Kevin Durant?

I was watching the Thunder play the Celtics last Friday night. I realize this makes me a complete geek, but that's beside the point. It was interesting to watch Kevin Durant against a good defensive team like Boston. He had 36 points, and no assists. I like watching him play. He's exciting, seems like he has a good head on his shoulders, and is well liked around the league. Yet there are some diverse opinions out there on Durant: is he the next Kobe, or is he destined to become just a great scorer who never does much else? Is he a Jordan in the making, or is he the second coming of World B. Free?

After about two years, it looks like he was a much better pick than Greg Oden. At the time, I said I would take Oden, mainly because I believe you build champions from the inside out. I never thought Oden would be a big scorer, but I did think he could be a Bill Russell/Bill Walton-type. I thought he could give you 17 points each night, with a lot of boards and a lot of defense. Unfortunately for Blazers fans, Oden is looking too much like Sam Bowie--he appears extremely fragile. Meanwhile, Durant is already a force. But who is he?

I know who he is. I've shared this thought many times on the radio show, but never had time to go in-depth about it. Kevin Durant IS George Gervin. But is that a good thing?

ICE AND ME

First of all, full disclosure (not the book by the same name about the history of SportsRadio 1310 The Ticket--published by Benbela Books and available at book stores everywhere for $24.95). Disclosure about my basketball background: I grew up the biggest George Gervin fan in America. I worshiped the Iceman. He was unique. He was a trendsetter. He was unstoppable. He was skinny. He was my first real sports idol. I couldn't wait for the paper each morning to check out his box score. Of course, I had listened to the game the night before, so I knew what he had done--but I still loved seeing it in print. Gervin, 14-24, 10-11, 38 pts. Night in, night out.

Gervin started his career (at age 19, just like Durant) in Virginia and then San Antonio in the ABA as a small forward. When the Spurs were absorbed by the NBA, Gervin became a shooting guard. The league had never seen anything like him. A 6'7 guard. He was the first true big guard. Before him, shooting guards were 6'4. Gervin was a big guard before Magic. And the bank was always open for Ice--only Sam Jones ever used the glass more effectively than Gervin.

I feel like I am qualified to compare modern day players to Gervin. There never has been anyone like him. Until now. Durant and Gervin are so similar it's scary. Above all else, Durant is a pure scorer, like Gervin was. Both are so thin, you wonder why a pick has never broken them in half. Gervin was 6'7, 180 pounds. Durant is 6'9 and listed at 230 (I don't think so! If he's a pound over 215 I would be shocked). Durant has the narrowest shoulders in the history of the NBA. Only former Pacers/Knicks great Louis Orr was skinnier than Gervin and Durant (Orr was 6'8, 175).

Their early career numbers are almost identical. Through their first few seasons, each averaged around 23 ppg. Gervin pulled down 7 rebounds per game, Durant 6 rpg. Each posted negligible numbers in assists (about 2 per game), steals (1 spg) and blocks (1 bpg). Both shot between 46% and 48% from the field, and both shot about 85% from the line. Durant can smoothly score from anywhere, like Gervin. Durant is explosive, but doesn't possess Lebron-like explosiveness. Durant is not a superior athlete. Neither was Gervin. Ice dunked a lot in the early days, like Durant, but was never considered a great athlete. Gervin did possess a dazzling array of post moves, which he used to abuse smaller defenders. Durant doesn't have these post moves, or the finger-roll, or the cool nickname. Other than that, Durant is Gervin.

THE PROBLEM WITH BEING GERVIN

The Iceman was never much interested in defense. Or passing. Or rebounding (as his career went on). Durant isn't much interested in defense. Or passing. Or rebounding (when you are 6-9 and playing 40 minutes, 6 rebounds should accidentally fall your way). And this is the problem. The Spurs loved having Gervin--on one end of the court. He was a nightmare match up for the other team. But, he was a nightmare liability for the Spurs on defense. All Ice wanted to do was score. All Durant wants to do is score.

Gervin's great scoring never got the Spurs past the Conference Finals. And it wasn't because he had a bad cast around him. He always had at least one other 20 ppg scorer with him (Kenon, Silas, Mitchell). He even had a good big man for a few years in a later-day Artis Gilmore. But when your leader, your star, doesn't play defense, you have a problem (Dirk?). Gervin's four scoring titles were great, but zero NBA titles leaves a void on your resume.

Is Kevin Durant destined to have a George Gervin-like career? If so, that's not bad. He'll win his share of scoring titles. He'll be an perennial All-Star. He'll probably end up in the Hall of Fame. But, to be considered a true great, he'll have to start paying attention to all aspects of his game. To be mentioned in the same breath as Jordan or Kobe, he'll have to become a better defender. He should be a better rebounder than both. And for now, he's nowhere near the assist man than Jordan was and that Kobe became.

SO WHAT WILL HE BE?

Given his build, I'm not sure Durant will ever be a great defender. He's not a very strong man. Remember the story out of the draft camp in 2007, when it was reported that he couldn't bench press 185 lbs? But what's more concerning that his physical limitations is his mind set. Does he have the Gervin-McGrady-Dantley scoring-only mind set? If so, that can be a hard habit to break.

Wayne Winston, the former Mavericks stat guru and advisor, is not high on Durant. Winston was interviewed last month on TrueHoop, and was asked about building a championship team. He was offered the hypothetical of taking Kevin Durant, for free, to add to his team. He said no. He said "I would not sign the guy. It's not inevitable that he will make mid-career strides. He would have to improve a lot to help a team." And that's the ultimate question about Durant: will he be a superstar who makes everyone around him better, or will he be a superstar who makes everyone around him just sit back and watch him operate one-on-one?

If I had to bet, I would bet that Durant finishes his career as Gervin or McGrady, not Jordan or Kobe. To my eye, there is just something missing. I saw the same thing when he was at Texas in big games. Every time I watch him, I just don't see how he makes those around him better. How can you play 40 minutes against a team like Boston with the ball in your hands every possession and not record a single assist? It's the Gervin curse. It's not a bad curse to have--it will make you a ton of money and get you to Springfield. But it won't put you in the pantheon of the greats who are called "champions".

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to plan my social calendar for next Friday night. Looks like the Pacers host the Nets--I think I can catch that one!

THE END

mookie2001
12-09-2009, 12:52 AM
that dude is a scoring machine, his mechanics are just made for scoring the basketball.

damn can he score

like a machine

Chieflion
12-09-2009, 12:52 AM
Bullshit. Gervin never liked the three point shot. The same can't be said for Durant. Even when they ae scoring, they do it in their own personal way.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-09-2009, 12:53 AM
wow you two read fast

Chieflion
12-09-2009, 12:54 AM
Don't even let me get started on Durant's build, he is lanky, and has all the tools of being a good to excellent defender.

timvp
12-09-2009, 12:57 AM
Alabama is going to get owned.

mookie2001
12-09-2009, 12:59 AM
im a reading machine.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-09-2009, 01:00 AM

:(
sorry about 2005

mookie2001
12-09-2009, 01:03 AM
that was when we planned our sperms ahead of time ROFLROFLROLFOROFL

Cant_Be_Faded
12-09-2009, 01:03 AM
yeah that was all part of timvp's plan leading up to his jinx attempts this december
such a posting genius

timvp
12-09-2009, 01:05 AM
31-16

blkroadrunners
12-09-2009, 01:05 AM
I just see him having a similar career from that of Carmelo.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-09-2009, 01:09 AM
31-16

sigh

Ok, done with this thread. Yet another reason the spurs forum is total jackoffery now. I try to post a blog comparing a current player to a spurs legend, you know, expecting somewhat intelligent discussion.

And the spurstalk jesus himself trolls it, thereby rendering it useless. Alabama, huh, timvp? Wow I'm sure you'll get all kinda PM's from the grey's huggin your nuts about that one.

rofl
the spurs forum sucks ass whotttwas righttt

I can just picture you angling your laptop screen to kori like a little boy in kindergarden seeking approval from your mommy after you make a macaroni necklace:
"see kori? Egg-Zac-Lee! I posted it exactly five times! Do ya get it? Heeheehee"

Posting genius, make way, make way, make way.

Sorry for posting something somewhat spurs related in the spurs forum. As you were.

mookie2001
12-09-2009, 01:16 AM
rofl

!

reggie miller was thinner than durant, and marquis daniels too, he must be a coke head or something now, that dude looked totally emaciated the other night

timvp
12-09-2009, 01:16 AM
sigh

Ok, done with this thread. Yet another reason the spurs forum is total jackoffery now. I try to post a blog comparing a current player to a spurs legend, you know, expecting somewhat intelligent discussion.

And the spurstalk jesus himself trolls it, thereby rendering it useless. Alabama, huh, timvp? Wow I'm sure you'll get all kinda PM's from the grey's huggin your nuts about that one.

rofl

I can just picture you angling your laptop screen to kori like a little boy in kindergarden seeking approval from your mommy after you make a macaroni necklace:
"see kori? Egg-Zac-Lee! I posted it exactly five times! Do ya get it? Heeheehee"

Sorry for posting something somewhat spurs related in the spurs forum. As you were.

Damn bro, put the razors down. No need to bloody up your keyboard. I'm sorry you're so sensitive about our great university.

As far as Durant, his ceiling is around Gervin. He obviously still has a ways to go but he's on par if we are talking players who are born to score. We'll see if he can translate it to wins, though. I'm not so convinced he can.

Dex
12-09-2009, 01:19 AM
sigh

rofl

http://www.monettoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/midol.jpg

Jesus Christ, some of you take this internet thing way too seriously.

timvp
12-09-2009, 01:22 AM
The Iceman was never much interested in defense. Or passing. Or rebounding (as his career went on). Durant isn't much interested in defense. Or passing. Or rebounding (when you are 6-9 and playing 40 minutes, 6 rebounds should accidentally fall your way). And this is the problem. The Spurs loved having Gervin--on one end of the court. He was a nightmare match up for the other team. But, he was a nightmare liability for the Spurs on defense. All Ice wanted to do was score. All Durant wants to do is score.That's being a little hard on Gervin (WTF is "Ice" BTW?). Gervin averaged more assists, steals, blocks and rebounds per minute than Durant. Gervin was a bad defender but he'd still help out in blocks and rebounding. Durant doesn't do much of anything at this point other than score.

Durant has a Gervin ceiling but he's about as far as Blair is to Barkley.

IronMexican
12-09-2009, 01:28 AM
somebody get cbf a tampon.

mookie2001
12-09-2009, 01:28 AM
his game id say is more like clyde drexler

also like clyde hes going to win and lose a shitload of games, go to the finals, but still be judged on whether he can catch a plane to houston out of the blue

its mostly luck

the dude is barely 21 and hes being compared to george gervin, and we're trying to insult him by saying he'll only be carmelo

Dex
12-09-2009, 01:29 AM
No finger roll?

No Ice Man.

TDMVPDPOY
12-09-2009, 01:34 AM
his more like glen robinson...no defense all offense bs that dont equate to anything

durant is a 1 man team.....

TDMVPDPOY
12-09-2009, 01:34 AM
his more like glen robinson...no defense all offense bs that dont equate to anything

timvp
12-09-2009, 01:37 AM
Thinking about it more, he's like Glenn Robinson in Kevin Garnett's body ... with more heart and more range. Although Durant's three-point shot has disappeared again so that range part may be questionable.

timvp
his more like glen robinson

Heh. That's what I woulda done.

mookie2001
bullshit robinson wasnt half the athlete that durant is, durants also longer and younger now than bigdog was as a rookie

Sean Cagney
12-09-2009, 01:38 AM

HELL F IN YEAH THEY ARE!!!!!!! I hate that damn team there. Still it's FLA 4-3 in SEC title games baby all times! F ALA GO TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!

FLA lost so fukk it I am a Texas fan now for that damn game, go fukkin TEXAS MAYNE!!!!!!!!!!!

Sean Cagney
12-09-2009, 01:40 AM

He is alot better all around than Robinson was man, lets not even go there!!!! He can score more and get more boards and assists than Robinson did, he is a better player than Glenn was all around on O.

timvp
12-09-2009, 01:40 AM
bullshit robinson wasnt half the athlete that durant is, durants also longer and younger now than bigdog was as a rookie

I was speaking game wise. Can't talk for the other guy. To make the Big Dog comparison, you gotta switch bodies to someone longer.

Durant is starting to master that one move that Kobe stole from MJ. If he masters it, his 6-foot-1412351 frame would make it impossible to guard.

timvp
12-09-2009, 01:41 AM
HELL F IN YEAH THEY ARE!!!!!!! I hate that damn team there. Still it's FLA 4-3 in SEC title games baby all times! F ALA GO TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!

FLA lost so fukk it I am a Texas fan now for that damn game, go fukkin TEXAS MAYNE!!!!!!!!!!!
Exactly. Not sure why there is so much UT hate in this thread.

F Bama.

mookie2001
12-09-2009, 01:47 AM
longhorns gonBe reminding eachother its SUPPOSED TO BUBBLE in about a month

urunobili
12-09-2009, 07:30 AM
Just in case you people missed it... on Monday during the OKC game... the Iceman was in town and he got interviewed by the TV announcers in which he was compared to KD and the Iceman said he is the player that looks the most like him... so good timing with the thread...

and go UT haters!

5in10
12-09-2009, 11:44 AM
31-16 what is this? and why did that piss him off?

Whisky Dog
12-09-2009, 12:00 PM
I don't know, Bama has the future heisman winner and baby jesus mcelroy southlake carroll best team of all time. And Gilbert arenas' little brother. Don't know how Texas stands a chance against all that flash and dash, the honkey tonk with a little bit of R&B.

dbestpro
12-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Games are totally different. Ice was so smooth in the way he shot the ball, the way he drove and as a ball handler. Ice could have been a very successful PG if he wasn't such a lethal scorer. Durrant is a scorer based on size and spacing. Nothing in his game reminds me of Ice.