PDA

View Full Version : Sick of the Following re Suns already

Rummpd
04-22-2005, 10:23 PM
"Their win would be good for basketball due to their style"

In my opinion this statement commonly expounded by the national media has taken a life of its own and is overhyped.

The Suns granted play a wide open game but IMO the Spurs at their best swinging the ball quickly to the open man, and taking the inside out approach is just a good and just as fun to watch. Heck I would argue that the Kings of the last few years played more beautiful team basketball with ball movement than the current Suns.

Plus despite some inane opinions good defense is also good to watch as well.

Non obstructed shots might be good by hairy mascots jumping off of trampolines and the like but it ain't basketball.

Whoever wins will be good for basketball, it is like a chess match of contradictory styles and usually the cream rises to the top and this year that team ought to wear Silver and Black = "which will also be a good thing for basketball"

MaNuMaNiAc
04-22-2005, 10:28 PM
I think if the Suns win it'll be good for the NBA not basketball. Their style of play skyrockets attendance numbers. So the more Suns the better for David Stern.

Leetonidas
04-22-2005, 10:30 PM
What's funny is we beat the Suns 115-94 and they're the offensive powerhouse? :lol

bonesinaz
04-22-2005, 10:33 PM
Before the Suns, it was Dallas. Before Dallas it was Sacto with JWilliams. Neither of those 2 teams have rings.

This is the same tune on a different piano.

Leetonidas
04-22-2005, 10:42 PM
You know bonesinaz, I never thought about that. You're 100% right. I mean the only reason people make big hype over them is because they sucked last year is all really. They're nothing more than the 2003 Dallas Mavs and the 2002 Sacramento Kings.

TDfan2007
04-22-2005, 10:42 PM
Before the Suns, it was Dallas. Before Dallas it was Sacto with JWilliams. Neither of those 2 teams have rings.

This is the same tune on a different piano.

Exactly

ducks
04-22-2005, 10:57 PM
if you are sick of hearing about the suns why start a thread about the suns :spin

bigbendbruisebrother
04-22-2005, 11:05 PM
if you are sick of hearing about the suns why start a thread about the suns :spin

It's frustrating as hell to listen the Suns hype, and he's spot on about them being this years Mavs/Kings.

Besides, I'm bored off my ass waiting for Sunday's game. I almost posted a thread about definitions for blog slang words earlier. What the hell else is there to talk about?

boutons
04-22-2005, 11:09 PM
"bored off my ass waiting for Sunday's game"

yep, but there's some good first round NBA shit Saturday. What's really bad, in the 2, 3, Finals rounds, there are fewer and fewer games, even when your team's still plyaing, then whammo, Cold Turkey mid-June.

4 games, non-overlapping, 14:00 - 24:00 CT. that's lotsa beer and tamales!!

And the do it all over again, Sunday.

:lol :lol :lol

Obstructed_View
04-23-2005, 12:03 AM
Man I am jonesin' for the playoffs to start already. I've been starting goofy threads today just to pass the time. Everything there is to say regarding the Spurs in the playoffs has been said, it's time to go. I'll say again I miss when they'd start the playoffs on Friday night with 2 games on TNT and 2 games on TBS. Total immersion.

It's funny hearing people talking about how the Suns remind them of the way the NBA "used to be". The thing is that the Celtics, Sixers and Lakers were the only teams that won and coincidentally, they were the only teams that played defense. Nobody gave a crap about the high scoring teams back then because they didn't win anything. The Suns are fun to watch but that's due to their atheletes, not necessarily their scoring. I think good team basketball on both ends is more fun to watch than just high scoring. The Spurs played that way early this season, and it was beautiful to watch. The Mavs have been playing that way lately and as a basketball fan I'd enjoy it if I didn't hate every single member of their organization so much, save one.

Rummpd
04-23-2005, 06:45 AM
Obstructed View = good take.

sickdsm
04-23-2005, 08:24 AM
The suns play some defense too. Its just that they don't have much in terms of interior defenders. Amare is a very poor defender, he blocks a few shots but that's about it.

Their defense is better than the kings or dallas.

Nikos
04-23-2005, 08:46 AM
The Kings of 01-04 were about as fun to watch as it gets when it comes to pure offense: shooting, passing, cutting, and just overall crisp ball movement.

You can call them what you want, but for 2-3 years they played an excellent brand of basketball that was not only fun to watch, but was extremely effective.

boutons
04-23-2005, 09:17 AM
"was extremely effective."

Yep, they filled up their trophy case. :)

You'd think Rick, Geoff, and Pete would have figured out by now that their Princeton offense ain't going nowhere without equal defense.

Obstructed_View
04-23-2005, 09:49 AM
The suns play some defense too. Its just that they don't have much in terms of interior defenders. Amare is a very poor defender, he blocks a few shots but that's about it.

Their defense is better than the kings or dallas.

I wouldn't say their defense is better than either the Kings or Dallas, but they do get more deflections than people think if teams stand around and try to just pass the ball.

Bout, the Kings were considered an elite team and a title contender for a number of years. The Kings came closer to winning a championship than last year's Spurs did. Just because they couldn't close it out doesn't mean it wasn't effective. EDIT: Just saw the smile, you were probably just having fun at their expense and I didn't catch it. :)

SPARKY
04-23-2005, 02:09 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14138

Obstructed_View
04-23-2005, 02:27 PM
Jesus Christ, dude. Get a life.