PDA

View Full Version : Dirk Nowitzki: In His Own Words

monosylab1k
12-09-2009, 04:21 PM
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/sportatorium/2009/12/dirk_nowitzki_in_his_own_words.php#more

I wish Fox Sports Southwest did more of these because they're usually pretty damn good.
If his 33 points and 8 rebounds in last night's victory over the Phoenix Suns merely left you wanting more of Dirk Nowitzki, tune in to FSSW Friday at 10 p.m. for In My Own Words. During the 30-minute show - centered around a sit-down interview with Dana Larson - Dirk will discuss, among other things, his ordeal with ex-fiancee Cristal Taylor that led to binge-eating and a bloated weight of 265 pounds over the summer.

Jump for exerpts ...

*On his relationship with the Dallas media:

"I always did a pretty good job of keeping my private life and everything out of the media. I was doing fine with that the first 10 years of my career. Obviously, this summer was a different animal with the stuff that went on and what happened. I also understand we have to play along with the media. It's part of our job. Some of it is fun, (but) sometimes it gets a little much with all the photo shoots for the millionth time. Most of the time I'm just trying to have fun and be me and do everything with a smile on my face. Usually that was a good way for me the first 10 years. I understand this summer was hard. I understood the media had a job to do, even though I didn't like some of the stuff, but that's just part of the business. I'm glad it's over and I can move on."

*On last summer's ordeal:

"I don't think I changed that much. Honestly, I'm going to try to get my private life out of the media again for the rest of my career. I'm still trying to do the same things I did before, and that's have fun. I don't want to be miserable and think about what happened the last couple of months. I don't want to think about it all the time. I want to move forward and have fun with people again. Not only with my teammates, but with everybody like I did before. That's important to me."

*On the aftermath:

"After everything went down, I went on a binge there where I ate and drank everything in sight, probably all of May and June. I was almost 265 pounds, the heaviest I've ever been in my career. Once I started to work out again I definitely had to lose some weight. I lost about 20 pounds and am now at 245."

*On his sense of humor:

"I can be pretty sarcastic. I like to think I'm pretty funny. It's weird with the media sometimes. It started with my first year. Once the camera is on, I'm not 100 percent comfortable with English not being my first language. Sometimes I concentrate too much on not making a mistake talking or saying the wrong things that could be interpreted the wrong way. I'd rather not say too much or not even try to do a joke before it comes off the wrong way and then I'm the idiot. But once the camera is off, I love to have fun all the time. I'm always joking around in practice. I'm trying to loosen things up and have fun. Sometimes it's a little too much for coach (Rick) Carlisle or Avery (Johnson) back then especially. Everything I like to do, I like to do with a smile on my face."

*On his celebrity status:

"Enjoy is a bit much since I'm sort of laid back and relaxed. Sometimes I just like to be at peace. It's fun sometimes. Obviously, it's an honor. If people know who you are that means they respect and accept what you do and what you've done for this city and for this franchise. That's obviously the fun part, but sometimes I'm ready to go somewhere else. Even on vacation I'd like to go somewhere and not be recognized, but those days are over."

*On finally winning an NBA title:

"At this point really that's all I play for. When you're young it's nice to see stats and All-Star games pile up. That's great, but at this point it's all about the championship. It would be nice to play in (this season's) All-Star game since it's here in Dallas, but I don't really care about it that much anymore. It's all about winning the championship. That's way more important at this point in my career. If I look back in like 20 years, I'm still going to say I was the MVP of this league once and that's something nobody can ever take away from me. Individually, it was a decent career, but I've got to win that championship."

monosylab1k
12-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Dirk will discuss, among other things, his ordeal with ex-fiancee Cristal Taylor that led to binge-eating and a bloated weight of 265 pounds over the summer.

Why does Dirk enjoy humiliating himself with details like this?

Findog
12-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Why does Dirk enjoy humiliating himself with details like this?

I'm sure Dirk treated himself to many a KFC bowl, while staring off into the middle distance of his mansion in Preston Hollow at 3 in the morning.

ginobili's bald spot
12-09-2009, 04:31 PM
*On finally winning an NBA title:

"At this point really that's all I play for. When you're young it's nice to see stats and All-Star games pile up. That's great, but at this point it's all about the championship. It would be nice to play in (this season's) All-Star game since it's here in Dallas, but I don't really care about it that much anymore. It's all about winning the championship. That's way more important at this point in my career. If I look back in like 20 years, I'm still going to say I was the MVP of this league once and that's something nobody can ever take away from me. Individually, it was a decent career, but I've got to win that championship."

Dirk has always been about Dirk, don't let him fool you. Now he realizes that he's in the twilight of his career and wants to win some rings not for his teams sake or just for the sake of winning, but because he's under the delusion that it will make him immortal like Duncan. Dirk is good, but he will never be Duncan. I don't care if he wins 8 rings

mavs>spurs2
12-09-2009, 04:34 PM
:lmao dayummmm you mad!

Findog
12-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Dirk has always been about Dirk, don't let him fool you. Now he realizes that he's in the twilight of his career and wants to win some rings not for his teams sake or just for the sake of winning, but because he's under the delusion that it will make him immortal like Duncan. Dirk is good, but he will never be Duncan. I don't care if he wins 8 rings

That's dumb. Apologies in advance if that's some sarcasm I'm not getting.

badfish22
12-09-2009, 04:36 PM

Not everyone is like Kobe chasing Jordan.
(Unless this is a joke?)

mavs>spurs2
12-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Kobe'sBaldCrotchSpot is just mad about my trolling in the other thread

ginobili's bald spot
12-09-2009, 04:46 PM
That's dumb. Apologies in advance if that's some sarcasm I'm not getting.

Nah it's just mavs>spurs post from another thread. I just changed the names from Kobe to dirk and from Jordan to Duncan.

HarlemHeat37
12-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Free cristal!