PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Mailbag: Coach Pop Answers Your Questions

Spurs Brazil
12-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Spurs Mailbag: Coach Pop Answers Your Questions

Coach Pop's answers your questions during this inaugural edition of Coach Pop's Mailbag.

Ahmet
Question: Hi Mr. Popovich. What do you think about Spurs' NBA title chance this season?

Gregg Popovich: I think we’re one of about six or seven teams that has an opportunity to win a championship. It’s a very difficult accomplishment and dependent on many, many factors. For us at the moment, we have to become a much more consistent basketball team and integrate a lot of new players into the system for us to be the last team standing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Luis Montoto
Question: Coach, what is it about the Spurs' system that takes new players so long to learn? It would seem to me that the learning curve for a pro would be fairly quick.
Pop: Well sometimes I think that’s overplayed. Players who are new to a system do pick it up a little more quickly than people think. It’s just that if you’re a team that has been at a championship level, it takes a lot longer for people to find their place, because that team is already successful and to understand where you fit in takes a little bit longer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matt Reedy
Question: What is your thought process when you see a player who is obviously struggling offensively? Do you leave him on the floor hoping he will work through the "slump" or do you replace him with another player who might be able to score more easily? Is there a threshold at which you make that decision?
Pop: That’s a subjective decision. You don’t want to destroy a player’s confidence by pulling them out when they’re missing shots or not playing well, but at the same time winning the basketball game is important also, so it’s always a thin line to walk, but that’s where relationships come in, where communication comes in, so a player always understands why you’re doing what you’re doing.

Thomas Mauro
Question: Hi was wondering if you plan on staying in the NBA after Tim Duncan retires? If so will you stay with the Spurs? Go Spurs Go!
Pop: (Laughs) I’ve always made a joke about the fact that Tim’s contract and my contract have always coincided as far as length, and it’s served as a real good joke. In all honesty I have no idea how long I want to keep doing it, but Timmy’s situation won’t be the factor that will make me retire or continue to coach.

< Brad Phillips
Question: Hey Pop, You like wine. Maybe you can help me out on this one. I was not a huge white wine drinker until I discovered LaFond's 2005 Chardonnay (Santa Rita Hills)--the balance, depth and price ratio were in perfect balance. The problem is that I drank it all. All of it. Any suggestions on a comparative domestic replacement for under $20?
Pop: (Laughs) Well I don’t want to get myself in trouble by picking one winery over another, he’ll need to figure that out on his own, but I would tell him to go to a good wine purveyor and describe what qualities he liked about the wine he as drinking and they ought to be able to match it up pretty well for him.

Rachel Gray
Question: Hi Pop! Good to see you taking questions. I have the impression the team has changed more than usual this year, not just because of the number of new guys but because some of the new guys (McDyess, Jefferson) are pretty big impact players. Has it been any trickier than usual to figure out the best lineups and substitutions?
Pop: Well you're correct; 53% of the bodies are new and 60% of the starting lineup is new, but we have more players who are going to make a quick impact than usual, and that demands more time to see how they’re going to fit with Tony, Manu and Tim.

Sehaj B
Question: George Hill, as we all can see is progressing really well. Do you see him as a future all star in the NBA? I know he still has a lot to learn, but what do you think about the Parker/Hill backcourt?
<Pop: Well I don’t know what accolades are in George Hill’s future, but I do know he’s a vastly improved player, he’s doing a great job for us, and we’ve already used him on the court quite a bit with Tony Parker, and I like the combination and it will continue.

Ryan Hernandez
Question: What happened to the beard?!?!?
Pop: Well I just got tired of it. Trim it, cut it, look at it, trim it again, look at it, trim it again, I was too lazy to keep it.

Cory Bellamy
Question: At what point did being a professional basketball coach become a real goal for you, and what sacrifices did you have to make to get there?
Pop: I never thought about it, I always wanted to do other things, both in civilian life and in the military. Like many of us in life, circumstances arise that lead us in a different direction, and when I became acquainted on a more personal level with Larry Brown and he asked me to come as an assistant and leave Division III collegiate basketball, that’s when it first hit me that it was a different career, that the NBA was a very different career than a collegiate career and I found that I liked it. So from that time on, being an NBA coach was something that I wanted to do.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/pop_mailbag_0912.html

Phenomanul
12-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Pop was anything but CIA in this mailbag....

His answers seemed pretty genuine and open...

:tu great read.

koriwhat
12-09-2009, 05:50 PM
awesome read! as always thanks.

HarlemHeat37
12-09-2009, 05:54 PM
This can't be good for the local Spurs reporters..this mailbag was more interesting than anything I've ever read from them..

SamoanTD
12-09-2009, 06:01 PM
nobody asked questions about Ian or hairston lol

HarlemHeat37
12-09-2009, 06:05 PM
So is this a regular thing now?..I guess I should submit some questions..

I bet Fabbs has been sending them non-stop..

LoneStarState'sPride
12-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Wow, Pop was very candid in his mailbag answers. Honestly did not expect that from him. Good read!

SamoanTD
12-09-2009, 06:11 PM
lol also was expecting yes.........no...........and akward stares lol

Chieflion
12-09-2009, 06:11 PM
He said he will continue to coach after Timmy retires, huh? Well, that's great.

LOL@MavsFan
12-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Very good read. Only CIA Pop was the wine part, which interested me the least. If he still thinks they have a chance, why wouldn't I/we?

LOL@MavsFan
12-09-2009, 06:14 PM
This can't be good for the local Spurs reporters..this mailbag was more interesting than anything I've ever read from them..
:lolHAHA :toast

koriwhat
12-09-2009, 06:22 PM

yeah it's funny that we get media folk who ask stupid questions and then we actually get this and there's substance from the non-media people.

Chieflion
12-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Coach Pop has answered that the system is actually easier than some people think it is. Where did he get the idea that the team was a championship calibre team last year though?

Spursmania
12-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Nice honest answers. My bet is he doesn't retire after Duncan retires.

FromWayDowntown
12-09-2009, 06:31 PM
He still hasn't disclosed the true nature of his relationship with Michael Finley!!!!

Chieflion
12-09-2009, 06:33 PM
He still hasn't disclosed the true nature of his relationship with Michael Finley!!!!
No one dares to ask that question.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Coach Pop has answered that the system is actually easier than some people think it is. Where did he get the idea that the team was a championship calibre team last year though?

Without injuries to be the Big 3 it might have been.

Kamnik
12-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Great read!

tp2021
12-09-2009, 06:51 PM
I’ve always made a joke about the fact that Tim’s contract and my contract have always coincided as far as length, and it’s served as a real good joke. In all honesty I have no idea how long I want to keep doing it, but Timmy’s situation won’t be the factor that will make me retire or continue to coach.
This took me a bit by surprise. But I like it.

Chieflion
12-09-2009, 06:52 PM
To be a championship calibre team, you must be in a discussion whereby you are one of the tier 1 teams in the league, cause last year, it was LA and no one else in the West. I would say we had an outside shot at the championship before inuries happened and Manu......

jason1301
12-09-2009, 07:18 PM

We have over 15 rings within our players and Pop. It shouldn't be a question that we are contenders as long as Timmy, Manu, Tony and Pop are around.

Fabbs
12-09-2009, 11:23 PM
With Finley home with the ankle injury, are you having T_Park oil you two up more often or less often?

Fabbs
12-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Nice honest answers. My bet is he doesn't retire after Duncan retires.
Are odds being given?

Death In June
12-09-2009, 11:28 PM
The sad thing here is that fans are able to ask more interesting questions than the entirety of the SA sports journalism sect. I'd like to see someone challenge pop's strategy/gameplan instead of constantly kowtowing to him, but I'm assuming those questions don't make it through the screening process.

ffadicted
12-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Surprisingly good read, and no mysterious shit from Pop is always a surprise lol

Fabbs
12-09-2009, 11:30 PM
To be a championship calibre team, you must be in a discussion whereby you are one of the tier 1 teams in the league, cause last year, it was LA and no one else in the West. I would say we had an outside shot at the championship before inuries happened and Manu......
Additionally, why would it be more difficult and take more time for a player to fit into a **system** that had Championship players intact!

Pop: Well sometimes I think that’s overplayed. Players who are new to a system do pick it up a little more quickly than people think. It’s just that if you’re a team that has been at a championship level, it takes a lot longer for people to find their place, because that team is already successful and to understand where you fit in takes a little bit longer.

z0sa
12-09-2009, 11:35 PM
Additionally, why would it be more difficult and take more time for a player to fit into a **system** that had Championship players intact!

Did you submit any questions?

TinTin
12-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Matt Reedy
Question: What is your thought process when you see a player who is obviously struggling offensively? Do you leave him on the floor hoping he will work through the "slump" or do you replace him with another player who might be able to score more easily? Is there a threshold at which you make that decision?
Pop: That’s a subjective decision. You don’t want to destroy a player’s confidence by pulling them out when they’re missing shots or not playing well, but at the same time winning the basketball game is important also, so it’s always a thin line to walk, but that’s where relationships come in, where communication comes in, so a player always understands why you’re doing what you’re doing.

This was the most interested question for me

I think this is something we as fans do not understand at all (not saying all of you). Guess that is why he is the coach and we are not

SenorSpur
12-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Good stuff. Will have to send him a question about the mythical "Derrick McKey" player that he so coveted a couple of years ago.

phyzik
12-09-2009, 11:56 PM
I'm quite sure he was flooded with questions about his relationship with Finley and Bonner in regards to why they get so much playing time, he just refused to answer them. :lol

Good on him, I say. Those are the questions that would get the awkward stare down.

Danny.Zhu
12-10-2009, 12:48 AM
Good post.

Fabbs
12-10-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm quite sure he was flooded with questions about his relationship with Finley and Bonner in regards to why they get so much playing time, he just refused to answer them. :lol

Good on him, I say. Those are the questions that would get the awkward stare down.
And that is "Good on him" because of why?

Fabbs
12-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Did you submit any questions?
Were i to have any confidence that he would answer any strategic questions sincerely I would.

z0sa
12-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Were i to have any confidence that he would answer any strategic questions sincerely I would.

So you didn't submit any questions.

Why complain and ask questions here but not when the actual chance arises?

Fabbs
12-10-2009, 12:34 PM
So you didn't submit any questions.

Why complain and ask questions here but not when the actual chance arises?
Fine, I'll submit some questions and let you know when CIA Dodgeball doesn't respond.

lefty
12-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Gregg Popovich: I think we’re one of about six or seven teams that has an opportunity to win a championship. It’s a very difficult accomplishment and dependent on many, many factors. For us at the moment, we have to become a much more consistent basketball team and integrate a lot of new players into the system for us to be the last team standing.

Is he serious ?